Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754780 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5940 on: October 02, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

I'm really surprised people are putting this much thought into the presidential campaign still. The big deal is the congress. Anyone who's played Liberal Crime Squad should know that the president will only matter once you've got an Elite Liberal congress to put bills on his desk... and, I suppose, for when you're looking to replace the Supreme Court.

Who wins the presidential race isn't as important as the margin of victory, especially since that same margin is likely to be reflected in House elections. A narrow victory puts a huge brake on the winner's agenda (because so much of the country clearly rejects it, Congress is going to step a lot lighter), while a larger one encourages it. A landslide outcome, especially in a race where so much investment has been poured into the campaign of one side, can leave a permanent mark on the body politic, or even collapse a party.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: October 02, 2012, 06:41:09 pm »

He's going to get destroyed, me thinks.

I doubt it.  Romney's screw ups happen when people push him, demand the details behind the platitudes.  The debate will not offer a venue for that to happen.  Romney just has to spend 90 minutes repeating conservative stock answers (taxes!  national debt! defense spending cuts!) and he will avoid any moments of weakness.

What works in Obama's favor is that lately Romney has had really really bad optics.  Obama will probably manage to make some pretty effective ad hominem attacks without making them look like ad hominem attacks.

I expect this debate will be quite boring.  Of course Romney's campaign probably thinks he needs to win big in order to turn the race around so maybe Romney will swing for the fences?  But I have trouble seeing exactly how he would plan to shake this debate up.  Obama is in more of a position to shake this debate up but I doubt he will want to do that tomorrow.  Tomorrow a narrow defeat for Obama is a tactical loss but a strategic win.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: October 02, 2012, 06:44:34 pm »

I think he's doomed. He'll probably make some horrible gaffe about how everyone but the rich are freeloading parasites while we simultaneously get shocking video evidence that Paul Ryan Is Completely Heterosexual.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:25 pm »

I doubt it.  Romney's screw ups happen when people push him, demand the details behind the platitudes.  The debate will not offer a venue for that to happen.  Romney just has to spend 90 minutes repeating conservative stock answers (taxes!  national debt! defense spending cuts!) and he will avoid any moments of weakness.

We been watching the same gaffs? I've seen him choke when he tries to wing it, when he tries to say something relaxed and casual or folksy. And this is while he's just stumping.

Yes, the parties always have talking points but he's not, despite popular opinion, a robot. He's going to have to be flexible and to me that's something he's never been good at, being verbally agile. He has a problem with appearing awkward while speaking and that's something Obama, like you said, can go after without making it an outright attack. Or he'll make Romney look that much worse just by comparison, because he has composure and shows grace under fire (for the most part). I think Romney only demonstrates that when he's in control of the setting, or in control of the people he's talking at.

So yeah. I predict a lot of awkwardness from Romney that's going to just hang out there. It's the kind of thing Obama doesn't even have to attack, he just needs to stand back and watch Romney continue to get more agitated by himself. The debates aren't really about the issues, as we know as Americans. It's a televised personality contest and I feel like that's one place, barring everything else, that Romney has consistently under-delivered.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:21:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5944 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »

I prefer my candidates to be able to pass a Turing test.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »

Plus, Obama is kind of famous for being a good orator.

It's like filet Mignon vs road kill. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »

A good orator does not mean he will do well in the very structured, very abnormal format of these debates.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:53 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:04 am »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: October 03, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »

I believe the presidential debate is in 45 minutes.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5950 on: October 03, 2012, 07:48:21 pm »

First ever post from my new smartphone.  Damn I am a wordy sumbitch on this tiny screen.

Now watch the goddamn debate.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »

I got a text at 8:45 saying that Romney had won the debate from RomneyWins70ObamaLosses.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: October 03, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »

First ever post from my new smartphone.  Damn I am a wordy sumbitch on this tiny screen.
It has happened Aqizzar. You have become the Hipsterman.
Now watch the goddamn debate.
MAKE ME
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: October 03, 2012, 07:54:56 pm »

It's the bad grammar that really sells it.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: October 03, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »

Commentator just said he's pretty sure Romney is gonna take it. Let's see :P

Admittedly he has a very... broad view of "victory".
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 [397] 398 399 ... 714