Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754160 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5115 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:35 pm »

Huh, here's something I wouldn't expect to read in the economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/04/debt_proposals

The press's ignorance of the house progressive caucus is pretty shameful.  A lot more people vote for house progressive caucus congresspeople then vote for Ron Paul and the rest of the libertarian clown show.  They have a budget that should make the press cream it's pants according to the standards the press gives lip service too whenever the GOP releases a bullet point list and calls it a budget.  And the HPC is actually closer to the median voter's answer to polls on a lot of stuff then the plutocratic nonsense that passes for centrism in Washington.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: August 29, 2012, 05:37:27 pm »

Huh, here's something I wouldn't expect to read in the economist: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/04/debt_proposals
Who is this writer?

From the position of the piece I'd expect one of their British staff, who tend to be conservative but in the British sense (and often Conservative) and less hardcore than the US side. My understanding of their US staff was further to the right than this would indicate.

However, they missed the obvious Yes Minister reference in describing the budget as courageous (and sorry for that link, but it's the only version of that clip I can find).

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: August 29, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »

Hi. I have a dilemma here. Firstly, after reading 117 pages in, I've learned a good bit about the American elections, one of the chief things of which being the sheer amount of assholes running for the republicans, not that the democrats are much better. Reading around, i on the surface at least have confirmed what you lot have been saying. However, people who i get the distinct impression know fuck all about this are on another forum i peruse, that of Embers of Caerus, where-forth i have happened upon a Vote Right- Ron Paul 2012 thread. On the one hand, thanks to it's political nature though surprisingly calm and i get the impression underinformed comments, I'm awaiting moderators approval, and it's early days yet to appeal to you're considerably better sourced and knowledgeable persons over there. On the other hand, i could do with a host of links to prove the point, as well as a concise wrap up of these. I'd be very much obliged if you could help me with the latter.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

I'm sorry, what?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: August 29, 2012, 07:29:06 pm »

He wants us to provide him with informative links about Ron Paul's role in the election so he can argue better on a heavily moderated forum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: August 29, 2012, 07:43:48 pm »

Oh. Well that just sent my imagination on a wild tangent.

Bay12 members could totally rent out their services like mercenaries, going all over the place and injecting reason and logic into things at the highest bidder, while simultaneously derailing everything into complete chaos.

We'd be like a real private security firm.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5121 on: August 29, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »

My mother always wanted me to be a mercenary.

No really, one day she actually said that I should look for a job as a mercenary.  Obviously 'computer guy' isn't enough for her.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: August 29, 2012, 08:15:08 pm »

I, for one, am most certainly available. We could be like classy goons!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: August 29, 2012, 08:15:25 pm »

I've always fantasized about getting enough money to hire a mercenary army to take over Somalia by force, which I will then rule as an Enlightened Despot so that I may make it an authoritarian yet progressive nation.

Basically, I want to be Big Boss.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »

I always had similar dreams, though in most of them I went after the entire continent.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: August 29, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »

I think your subconscious is underestimating what it would take to do a hostile takeover of all of Africa. NATO would have an extremely hard time with that, much less a mercenary army.

Somalia is fairly doable because no one runs it right now anyway. You've got the UN in Mogadishu, weak and fractured democratic factions in the north; brutal yet opposed Islamist warlords in the south. There's probably some marginalized Marxists in there somewhere too. An outside force unconcerned with peace or civilian casualties could destroy them all.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: August 29, 2012, 08:29:38 pm »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »

rule

Somalia

I think there is a flaw in your plan there.
Fear will keep the local warlords in line. Fear of this fully-operational mercenary battlestation.

I shall build from the ashes a solider's paradise, a place where warriors will always have a place in the world!

Let me ask you a question: Should the lunatic rich imperialist American mercenary contractor not be entitled to rule Somalia? No, says the man in the United Nations, it belongs to the Somali! No, says the man in the United States, quit ruining our international image you fucking maniac! No, says the man in the People's Republic, it has always belonged to the Han! I rejected those answers. I chose something different, something impossible! I chose....the Empire of MSH. A nation where the combat journalist would not fear the rebel factions, where the government would not be bound by useless petty peace talks, where I would not be constrained by everyone else! And by my leadership, the Empire will continue to belong to me and me alone.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:41:57 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: August 29, 2012, 08:35:24 pm »

LMFAO
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: August 29, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »

Here I thought we would start in the Congo, because it's so much more profitable. And less piratey.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 714