Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 754703 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4860 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:04 pm »

I say y'all and I'm from the Canadian East. Not commonly, but yeah.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »

Just like saying "They're going to stuff American prosperity back in the closet" to an LGBT crowd, talking about chains such a large group of African Americans is also inappropriate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: August 19, 2012, 09:18:38 pm »

I say y'all, and I'm born and raised on the West Coast. I also say "howdy" without attempting to use a Texan accent and un-ironically. I just like the words.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:09 pm »

Just like saying "They're going to stuff American prosperity back in the closet" to an LGBT crowd, talking about chains such a large group of African Americans is also inappropriate.
No one said it wasn't inappropriate, but Who The Hell Is Joe Biden's actual meaning is pretty clear. Metaphorical chains are a common thing, he was just stupid about using it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:16 pm »

Well, Urist_McDrowner, you've proven that Joe Biden occasionally put his foot into his mouth. Congratulation. Here is an internet cooke.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:26 pm »

Those are "inappropriate" only in the sense that they are clunky metaphors.  They aren't offensive or anything.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

Actually, they're inappropriate in the sense that the right could spin them against the Obama/Biden ticket. I mean, this guy's job is basically to do PR while Barack run the country, and this is a good exemple of him failing at it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: August 19, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »

I'm telling you, Obama should just send him to open gas stations in Wyoming and lock him in the White House basement afterwards.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: August 19, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »

I think the world would be a better place is people didn't constantly look for veiled insults, and stopped trying to be so PC all the time. I have a boyfriend and you don't see me tearing up when someone uses the word gay as an adjective.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »

Um, I'm LGBT and the only objection that I have to your hypothetical statement is that it makes no sense.  It's really touching how you are so concerned on behalf of black people.  But he was obviously using a metaphor and it's not an offensive metaphor unless you want it to be.

I'm telling you, Obama should just send him to open gas stations in Wyoming and lock him in the White House basement afterwards.

Biden is a fine VP.  If it were actually possible to check these things I would bet you that all his "gaffes" haven't dissuaded a single voter ever.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:50 pm »

Oh, I just thought of another question. To everyone in this thread, I pose the following questions.

What are you going to say if:

Barack Obama wins, and succeeds in fixing the economy?
Barack Obama wins, and fails in fixing the economy?

Mitt Romney wins, and succeeds in fixing the economy?
Mitt Romney wins, and fails in fixing the economy?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: August 19, 2012, 09:27:12 pm »

Depend what you mean by fixing the economy. If you mean more jobs, raising wages and diminishing income inequalities, Huzzay, no matter who did it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: August 19, 2012, 09:28:12 pm »

You can't fix the economy. It's half-imaginary and unsustainable in its current form. If it gets better it won't be because of the President.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blacksmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:20 pm »

If you're outside of Texas, the proper way to say "Howdy" is "How do" or "Howd'youdo". ;)

Also, it seems like the Biden quote is just like the Obama "You didn't build that" quote.  Much ado about nothing, words out of context and stripped of intent until all that is left is the spin people project onto it. I don't like it when the libs do it, but the conservatives do it a hell of a lot more. It's not only fundamentally dishonest, which is bad enough, but it's always about something so bloody stupid. Stupid stupid stupid stuff.

Although, considering Vermont is currently facing an 11 million dollar lawsuit for enslaving it's citizens without due process or conviction (which is currently the only legal way to force someone into slave labour), it is kind of appropriate as well. I mean, the whole forced labour of non-convicts is actually a growing trend in the US, and something to worry about, even if that has absolutely nothing to do with what Biden is talking about here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: August 19, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »

MSH: He didn't ask us if the president could fix it, he ask us how we would react if he did. Frankly, if Romney reveal wizard power once he's in the white house and suddenly make everyone employed and middle-class-ish, with a free pony as a bonus, I'm going to cheer. Not likely to happen though.

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 714