Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 752377 times)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:47 pm »

Marriage is a fundamentally religious thing.  Civil unions, however, are not.  So I say that anyone can marry anything as long as they get a licence from the local wherever.  Whatever ceremonies that are employed to formalize said union are up to the people concerned.

I wish this could stop being an issue.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »

Results: Obama 60%, Huntsman 45%, Romney 11%. Note that Romney was only on there for the increase of nuclear power. I do not agree that we should increase oil production, so that probably doesn't count.

Results when I selected my least favorite: Bachmann 66.7%, Perry 64.8%, Santorum 64.8%.

On the other hand, I got 100% for myself. I should run for president. See you all in 2028 or 2032, depending on what day my birthday falls that year. We need a slogan!

I actually have a license to perform marriages as an ordained minister of the Atheist church. If anyone wants to get married, I can test that out. I got my own certificate and everything.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:31 pm »

Marriage is a fundamentally religious thing.  Civil unions, however, are not.  So I say that anyone can marry anything as long as they get a licence from the local wherever.  Whatever ceremonies that are employed to formalize said union are up to the people concerned.

I wish this could stop being an issue.
No, marriage is not a fundamentally religious thing in the current legal climate. Our government, which is by law a secular entity, hands out licenses for legal marriages and the privileges that come with it. Ceremonial marriages in churches and the like are religious, but they have no legal binding whatsoever. Only a marriage license has legal binding, and those are issued by the government.

This allows for the whole "civil union" idea to deprive same-sex couples of the legal benefits of a marriage (See: Defense of Marriage Act) while acting as if they have been granted legal equality to opposite-sex couples. The only way granting civil unions is acceptable is if that applies to all legally binding unions, and the government does not actually get involved in "marriages" at all. For the moment, that is not the case.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »

Alright, just because I gotta leave and won't be here to police the thread, can I not come back to five pages of vitriolic argument about marriage, religion, and homosexuality?  Okay?  Cool.

Keep calm and carry on.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 04, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

The idea of binding yourself to one spouse in they eyes of God is a religious thing.  That's what I meant by "Marriage is a fundamentally religious thing."  The idea of binding yourself to one spouse in the eyes of the state is not a religious thing, but can be motivated by religious beliefs.  I believe that the latter idea should be extended to everyone and thing, as I have pointed out.  The former thing is up to the various institutions.

But I'm off topic. 

I hate Romney with the passion of a thousand suns, but I like him better than his GOP opponents.  Santorum is really the only electable one besides Romney, but I don't think anyone I know knows Santorum actually exists.  Obama is fine, and I'll probably vote for him unless he screws up/one of the Republicans proves himself to me.  If they all disqualify themselves in my eyes, I'll write Barbarossa in.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:20:28 pm by Canalan »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 04, 2012, 11:19:37 pm »

I've noticed a strange trend. I've seen people swearing left and right that either "Only Ron Paul has a shot at defeating Obama!" or "Only Mitt Romney has a shot at defeating Obama!". None of the same for Santorum. Regardless, there seems to be an emerging conflict about the idea of nominating the "one person" who has a shot of defeating Obama.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 04, 2012, 11:24:02 pm »

Took the survey:

Obama, 69.6%
Paul, 34.9%
Bachmann, 30.6%

Now, back to my lurking in this thread.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #427 on: January 04, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »

My mother insisted I take this poll she found while netsurfing at work.  It's actually kinda interesting, by weighting your interest with responses to five-choice questions about ten issues, and tells you which Presidential candidates (including Obama, but no extra parties) you most align with.  If you're informed about issues (or can recognize silhouettes), you'll probably know where each answer is going.  If not, you might learn something.  The results could surprise you - my grandmother got Ron Paul, and she's a lifelong Democrat.

The crapping hell? I answered none of the above for most, but I was ranked gingrich, perry, bachman!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47:57 pm »

Took the survey:

Obama, 69.6%
Paul, 34.9%
Bachmann, 30.6%

Now, back to my lurking in this thread.

How do you go about lurking in a thread like this? Seems to move faster than I'd be willing to keep up with. I know that when I go to bed and wake up in the morning, I'm not going to be reading through five pages of vitriolic debate about the virtues of civil unions versus marriage.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #429 on: January 04, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »

For some reason, taking an online survey like this makes me think of those horrid "WHICH CHARACTER ARE YOU" surveys, and the frightening truth that a completely apolitical character that I dislike would have supremely more agreeable stances on issues than many of the candidates.  I would vote for Goku over Rick Perry.

Edit:  Let me clarify, I'm not even talking about if Goku were real.

I would vote Vegeta over Perry.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 04, 2012, 11:53:10 pm »

Took the quiz/survey thing

Obama: 70.1%
Bachman(?!): 50.1%
Gingrich: 45.1%

I already knew I was going to be voting for Obama, but I didn't want to have anything in common with Bachman. Whyyyyy?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:08 am »

How is it even possible to get both 70% Obama and 50% Bachman? I didn't think they had any real policy overlap.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 05, 2012, 12:13:36 am »

Hey, don't ask me. I didn't make this thing. It might be because my policies are a little here-and-there, plus I don't have any experience with things like Medicaid so I couldn't provide a good answer.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

Atheist church

Anyone else see a problem here?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:46 am »

None at all.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 714