Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 753394 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of this, but it's an effort to put a third party candidate on the national ballot for President, which will be totally awesome if it works, though I do have my doubts.

I've read about this elsewhere.

It is funded by hedge fund managers and other big money bankers and is simultaneously not a political (so it can shield the identity of its donors) and a political party (so it can get on the balot in certain states). Its "democratic" aspects are also a sham because they are non binding and those at the top can override every decision if they want. I wouldn't put any faith at all in the idea.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2011, 01:04:31 pm »

The Libertarians already have national ballot status in all 50 states. And the Greens and Reform Party have had it in the past. The two-party system is just incredibly entrenched into the electoral system.

FWIW, I'd love to see Gov. Brian Schweitzer make a run (maybe in 2016?).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:21 pm »

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of this, but it's an effort to put a third party candidate on the national ballot for President, which will be totally awesome if it works, though I do have my doubts.

I've read about this elsewhere.

It is funded by hedge fund managers and other big money bankers and is simultaneously not a political (so it can shield the identity of its donors) and a political party (so it can get on the balot in certain states). Its "democratic" aspects are also a sham because they are non binding and those at the top can override every decision if they want. I wouldn't put any faith at all in the idea.

Actually I hadn't looked at the site in a few months until today, and aside from some awful site design, the fact that the top three trending public figures are already in the race kind of makes it pointless effort. I'm currently looking through their bylaws to verify your last claim. If there's a news article you could point me to with verification, that'd be cool.

EDIT: Yeah, a cursory glance at the bylaws shows that the board of directors appoints itself and they pretty much retain exclusive power over the organization. Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:19:51 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2011, 01:35:05 pm »

That site.
My laptop is not an iPod, thank you very much.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2011, 01:39:24 pm »

EDIT: Yeah, a cursory glance at the bylaws shows that the board of directors appoints itself and they pretty much retain exclusive power over the organization. Oh well.

Yeah, they've managed to score a few appearances on TV to talk about themselves, with a pretty slick stable of paid spokesmen.  Needless to say, "third party activism" is on the verge of being the next sellout industry.  When there's demand for a product, a product will be delivered.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2011, 01:55:49 pm »

I think McCain/Palin was a forerunner of that, what with Maverick(TM) speeches and YouBetcha rallies. All the pre-packaged grassroots support you could ask for.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:33 pm »

They seem to think that Bernie Sanders opposes gay marriage... I don't recall hearing anything remotely suggesting that from him.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2011, 07:11:03 pm »

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2011/dec/30/how-candidates-fared-truth-o-meter-Iowa11/

Hell no, that site is a load of crap.  They named their "lie of the year" democratic statements that republicans "want to end end medicare as we know it." 

The site seems to be an aggregator for all sorts of "is this thing true?" stuff, so it's not really wise to dismiss an entire site of perhaps vaguely unrelated people because you disagree with the aim of one of the articles- especially when the statistics they're using are laid bare.  I'm not familiar with the thing you're talking about though- it would be a nice good faith gesture for you to link it instead of telling others how they should feel about it, sight unseen!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:59 pm »

One idea floating around is that they named that their "lie of the year" partly to offset perceived bias on their part in terms of them assigning "lie of the year" status to mostly conservative/republican lies in recent years. I'm not sure, though.

Of course, the problem with any site whose idea it is to discern truths is that they can be wrong just like anyone else, or at least have a perception of things that not everyone shares.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »

So did I miss the necessary Ron Paul appreciation/hate gush?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »

So did I miss the necessary Ron Paul appreciation/hate gush?
yes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:30 pm »

Progressives and the Ron Paul Fallacies
Leaves me equal parts despairing and enraged, yaay :-\
E: Especially considering previous discussion on how Mr. Paul is mostly the way he is because he wants to effectively rape us on the local level instead of nationwide. Wheefrakdamnthisfecalmateraltohadesarglebargle

I think I'm going to take a nap, then try to come back to actually trying to get invested in the election process in a couple days.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:10:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2011, 10:31:22 pm »

Aqizzar made a political thread? I know what I'm reading tonight! I know bugger all about pretty much anything, so I'll just post this for the updates.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »

As soon as Aqizzar is of eligible age for presidency, he will have my vote from that time onward.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 714