Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a proof reader. It could be you!  (Read 2306 times)

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
I need a proof reader. It could be you!
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

Hey guys, I'm writing a story. Unfortunately, I can't spell for shit, considering I'm still in a freshman in high school, and never paid much attention through middle school. So dose anyone want to proof read it for me? Fix spelling, and grammatical errors. Please, and thank you. Peace out, homies!
Add magma? Why the hell not?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need a proof reader. It could be you!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:18:21 pm »

You have a spell checker for a reason.  Use it.

The internet is not here to compensate for your failures of diligence.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:23:49 pm »

What I use to type doesn't have a spell checker for some weird reason. Plus, a spell checker doesn't see every mistake, and can't tell me if what I write sounds good. Spell check is not a proper editor. That's what I need.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »

What I use to type doesn't have a spell checker for some weird reason. Plus, a spell checker doesn't see every mistake, and can't tell me if what I write sounds good. Spell check is not a proper editor. That's what I need.

What the hell backwards bit of software are you using then? If its pen and paper/typewriter, then use a dictionary - this will also help you learn to spell. That, or use the wonder of the internet to grab hold of one of the many free bits of software out there. TBH your admission of never having paid much attention in school isnt really going to make us all leap up and help you. There are a number of creative writing websites that will do peer review type editing. This isnt really one of them.
This is a blank sig.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

Really I'm not looking for someone to fix the spelling, it's not that bad. I just need an editor. Like someone to read it, give me feedback, and point out the problems.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

So you are writing a story and you want Bay12 community to make you characters and proofread your story?

...You know, maybe we could also make the plot up for you.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »

I only want bay12 to proof read it because I don't trust anyone I really know to point out the flaws. I've shown a few friends and they all said it was great, nothing wrong at all. Then I showed my teacher. . .  she pointed out three mistakes in about 6 seconds.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 05:16:20 pm »

Three mistakes, you say?
Quote from: Original Post
Hey guys, I'm writing a story. Unfortunately, I can't spell for shit, considering I'm still in a freshman in high school, and never paid much attention through middle school. So dose anyone want to proof read it for me? Fix spelling, and grammatical errors. Please, and thank you. Peace out, homies!
I've bolded three issues: Plainly incorrect structure (it looks like you were trying to phrase it two different ways); The misspelling of "does"; and the last two aren't actual sentences (but that doesn't much in this environment).

My point in this is not to ridicule you so much as it is to point out that mistakes are common. Do you proof read your own writing? I think that, if you did, you would have caught the "dose", and likely the first mistake.

First of all, use something with a spell-checker. This will fix any mistakes in spelling, and help you learn to spell words you have trouble with.
 Secondly, proof read your own work. You'll find most major grammatical errors this way. You'll also notice phrases where it just sounds odd, or is difficult to read clearly, which are just as bad.
 Not until the third "step" should you get someone else to (proof-)read your work. Nobody wants to read through a piece so terribly riddled with errors that it's difficult to get through. If you correct the biggest issues, someone might be willing to read it.

To quote you, "I just need an editor." Editors are paid to do their work for a reason. It's a valuable job, and it's not something that most people who have the required skills will volunteer to do.

Plus, proof-reading your own work will let you review it, and make sure it's what you want. If you aren't doing this, you'll have some serious issues writing a story of any significant length.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »

Really I'm not looking for someone to fix the spelling, it's not that bad. I just need an editor. Like someone to read it, give me feedback, and point out the problems.
I wouldn't mind critiquing it as long as its under 10k words and you've proof-read it yourself at least once, but I can be a bit exacting. If you really want critiques though, you could just post the story on the forums.

Oh, and even if your word processor doesn't have a spellcheck (what the heck are you using?) you can still use something like spellcheck.net. I'd also recommend you read everything you write aloud. Always.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:50:16 pm »

It also isn't a place to be an asshole.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 05:52:52 pm »

When the OP makes a point of bringing to our attention that they arent the best student in school as a justification for poor literacy and needing us to "do it for them", pointing it out isnt really assholery.
This is a blank sig.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 06:17:47 pm »

So much hate...

I might be able to do it. My schedule is getting rather busy lately, so I can't promise anything.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:34:25 pm »

Usually a writer actually puts in the effort of proofreading their own work before asking others to do so for them.  For real, you've pretty much registered on the forums just to ask for help writing, even asking for people to make up characters for you, and now to proofread and ostensibly edit your First Draft.  You've not shown yourself to care enough to help others with their work, or even posted critiques in other threads, or really done any quid pro quo effort to even begin to earn the right to ask for people to do all this work for you. 

Yeah, people will step up to the plate to help you out, but it's pretty disrespectful of you to rely on them repeatedly. 

Edit:  Just to point this out, but saying "Read my story and edit it, I can't spell for shit, and can't be bothered to make my story look presentable" means you know what your problems are but are avoiding fixing them for whatever reason, and want others to do so for you.  That's pretty low!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:41:18 pm by Capntastic »

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:08:13 pm »

All right! You guys win. I will go read through it a few times, fix what I find, and use an online spell checker.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

It also isn't a place to be an asshole.
QFT
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: [1] 2