Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: NDL- National Dungeon League ||| Turn 8! Don't touch.  (Read 21044 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: NDL- National Dungeon League ||| Turn 4! Anyone can join fast any time!
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2012, 10:05:31 am »

Alle shifts steadily in position, rocking on his heels as he stands-- like a ship, as if some powerful wave hits him straight in the prow.

He puts a hand to his forehead, slight nausea? A headache? Or both...He did not want to know.

What he did know, and uttered completely to himself, were these:

"There is a disturbance-... in the economy...Damn thieves..."

Couldn't help myself...  ::)

Remember, for those who are just joining. You can have a town action before entering the pits, after you equip yourself up.

Also, Sensei (sorry for my many questions), does the spectator bonus come in effect before anyone enters the pits already? And when can we take advantage of that when we are in the pits?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:17:24 am by Tiruin »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2012, 10:10:12 am »

Corvander walks up to the shopkeeper. He says 'So, these are too expensive for me?'
'Yes, goblin. Especially for your kind.'
Corvander stabs the shopkeeper in the gut, takes the stuff he wants and runs.
(That acceptable? :P)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:23 am »

((can we see our current inventory and health?))
Sorry, I've mostly left it to you to keep track of your own inventories (and other peoples' inventories if you think they're cheating). Your health is sort of an esoteric combination of how injured you are and how dead I think you are.

Is it possible to use shadow magic in this game? It sounds nooby of me to ask, but I'm new to this and so I must ask.
I'm letting people make up their own spells, just refer to the power level/cost list in the shop spoiler.

I suggest finding a way of getting away asap, or offering Tog fresh meat. There is yet another level of rage which he can reach... But it has some incredibly nasty implications. If you ever playied D&D, note Mighty Rage is an epic feat... Which kind of feat is stronger than that?
The kind of feat the GM will actually let you have! You will not be able to add any powers or feats to your massive troll body. Simply revel in your biceps.

For those of you who want to "start off" with spells or weapons, that's fine, but still deduct them from your money pool for obvious balance reasons. If you want anything you clearly can't afford, you'll have to resort to shenanigans in town. Also, if you are some powerful, strange race, you probably have less money- theoretically on a spectrum between a normal human having normal money and a polar bear character having no money because they are a polar bear. In effect, it "costs money" to be a polar bear, but hey, you get thick skin and teeth. You also have to explain how a polar bear got interested in the NDL competition but if you really want to be a polar bear chances are you are creative enough to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Sorry for the delay. I've got to stop myself from getting behind, everyone changes their actions five times when I do. While I do like to support the semi-freeform roleplaying, keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily make sense to have several reactionary actions before an actual roll for success.

Also, Tiruin, I am the GM and only I should be tracking inventory and status. By that I mean, I am joking and I even use your posts as a resource, so please continue.

Final, really final note: When a spectator adds sp, players who are starting off or already playing gain this sp. So, if you spent 10sp when you started and have been in the dungeon since, you've... uh, caught three silver pieces that were thrown from the crowd. Or possibly found them in your ear, what do I care. However, to use it, you will have to actually find a place to spend it.

Turn 5

UltraValican / DragoMcDabu: You advance down the southern passage. It sounds like shit is getting nasty behind you. Normally you pride yourself in what you can do in a good tussle, but this time getting the crystal is more important. (19) You round a corner to the right and stop in your tracks. There is a corpse of some poor sod in plain clothes with several large holes in him. You prod the corpse hoping to find something on it. (4) You come disturbing close to being impaled as several spears rise out of the ground, and through the corpse! You take a pretty good nick but manage to lurch out of death's way. You can hear the crowd cheering above. You squeeze between the raised spears and they drop behind you, leaving you to face a more obvious obstacle: The hallway continues, but drops down into a pit of spikes that looks about 10 feet long. The walls to either side are covered with planks here.

Monkeyfacedprickleback / Caleb Graw: Quickly, you use your antidote scroll on Riggle! (20) Before your eyes, the boils on his hand shrink back to healthy skin and he begins to breath easier. The scroll dissolves into dust. (11) You try to loose an arrow at Max LeStronge, who has started to make a retreat in the time you were casting the scroll. However, he's around the corner before you can actually shoot him, and your arrow sticks harmlessly into the packed dirt wall. Then the troll says something about a rage and attacks! You really can't get a break can you.  (9)(1) Your blinding light scroll goes off pretty successfully. It also catches everybody off guard. You are blinded!

mcclay / Markoz: You lash out a fireball at max with the spontaneity of a fisticuff. (12) You get a decent bit of fire out, badly burning him. He drops caltrops into the passage, and runs off, forcing you to step slowly and carefully after him. (9) They delay you quite a bit before you're through. As you step past the caltrops, you hear someone scream! Then, very quietly, you hear the words "One, two, three, four!"

Zako / Max LeStronge: (9) Still being scorched by fire, you take the rope and caltrops abscond quickly past the log (a dive roll is neither safe nor necessary) and then drop the caltrops. You're limping as you turn right down the hallway. You see  another adventurer ahead. (10) You hurriedly step over some dude's corpse, and spears rise out of the floor! (2) You are fatally impaled in (1d6:4) places. As your vision fades to black, you count them. One, two, three, four! You were a very good counter.

Tiruin / Alle: You rush to aid Riggle by amputating the poisoned hand. Fortunately, this isn't necessary- Caleb incants an antidote scroll to great effect. You stay your dagger. "Umm... there was a fly." Suddenly, the troll says something and you are blinded! The next thing you know, the troll is nowhere to be seen.

IronyOwl / Riggle: You examine your hand. (3) Frankly, you can't figure out anything to heal yourself. Fortunately for you, Caleb uses an antidote scroll on you and you feel much better, the boils in your hand go away.  You're not getting worse, but your insides still have a certain liquefied feel to them. You consider trying to work the lock on the west door, and then you are blinded by a flash of light! When your vision comes back, you can't find the troll. Hey, the door to the west is open though.

Toaster / Smelly Corpse: (17) You haunt a dagger. Just wait until some sucker picks it up! Even in death, you are suddenly blinded by a flash of light.

Azthor / Tog: Fee-fi-fo-fum! You smell the blood of a squishy man. Be he live or be he dead, you'll grind his bones to make your bread. You shout, "MIGHTY RAGE!" which causes everybody to look at you funny. It also draws attention to you (if any kind of man can take on a troll, it's the kind of man who is actually five men). One of them uses a scroll to blind you with a flash of light! (?) You swing around with your axe and may have hit all sorts of shit. You aren't sure. When your vision comes back, you underwater. You're unclear which way is up.

-----
MEANWHILE, IN TOWN
-----

Yoink / Delboe Sumpfoot: Straight down to business! After some brief registry with an NDL representative who keeps trying to sell you magazine descriptions, you hoist your pick over your shoulder and hold your lantern ahead of you. You await being immersed in darkness, as the foreboding portcullis lowers behind you. Then, you realize there is no ceiling. You put your lantern out in case you need it later. Before you is a room with four people in it. There is an open door to the south, an empty doorway to the west, and a door ajar to the north. (?) You have a forboding sense that the door to the north reeks of pure evil.

Grek / Dr. Ulrich von Grekenhoff: You wake up in a strange town after your last drunken stupor. Fortunately, you still have your sole posession of real value: an advanced healing spellbook. You get as much mud off of you as possible and try to advertise your healing services about the town. (9) You find only a thief, who has had his hand cut off as punishment for some crime. He still has the hand, a couple hours old. (4) You miscast moderately- the hand is attached, but it is still rather necrotic. Just as well, since he runs away before you can so much as plead a favor from him. You enter the dungeon.

IamanElfCollaborator / Corvander: You enter the magic shop, and get ready to buy a bunch of books. You probably can't afford them, so you make up your mind to stab the shopkeeper and run off with the whole pile. He's probably a racist asshole anyway. You tell him "I'm buying these books. Here's thirteen silver pieces. It's all I have on me." (3) He says "I'm sorry, but I can't let go of these books for just thirteen silver. They're very valuable resources- you have excellent taste in spells, so I'm sure you understand. I guess you're probably having trouble raising the money, it's hard getting hired as a goblin these days. I do know a goblin aid group in the next town over. They might grant an enterprising, down-on-his luck fellow like you a scholarship." You are far too overcome with guilt and sympathy to stab him. However, you're still shameless enough to shoplift a Basic Raise Dead (works only on very fresh dead, who will still need to be healed) book on the way out. You enter the dungeon.

Toaster / Thrakor: (2) You smell like demons, absolutely nobody wants to talk to you. To make matters worse, the guards recognize you as a demon summoner! They catch you and throw you, much to your surprise and delight, in the Pit.

We'll see when the next turn gets posted. Tomorrow is a possibility, or Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:41:46 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: NDL- National Dungeon League ||| Turn 5! Anyone can join fast any time!
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2012, 02:47:19 am »

The fuck? Mindlessly stepping over a dead dude on a 10? He's a rogue, isn't he supposed to be cautious?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NDL- National Dungeon League ||| Turn 5! Anyone can join fast any time!
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2012, 02:56:03 am »

For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to impose a ten-player limit for now. I will, of course, be doing my best to make sure that spots become available quickly.

Also, Zako, you were penalized in your search roll for being wounded and running- I did consider your rogue skills. You also got a saving throw. Death in the pit comes suddenly and capriciously (but trust me, it didn't have anything to do with me wanting a limit on the number of players).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Messers Max and Riggle, which of you wants to not die? I'm pretty sure there's time to save at least one of you, depending on how much cash I can extort out of you smucks whether or not you get prompt medical attention.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To clarify: Max is quite dead, Riggle is badly damage but will not die without the help of something sharp.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile

Make sure troll isn't anywhere nearby. If you really can't see the troll say loudly:
"Thank god I thought to get that troll banishing scroll. You can thank me later everyone."
[/glow]
Then Give Riggles the healing scroll, And ask the other him and Alle to stand clear of the door and make sure nobody tries to kill or interupt me while I'm checking this door for traps and picking it's lock.

(I'm fine with all that taking more then one turn if I get bonuses for taking my time and being careful or if the the GM thinks I put too much in a single turn. I'd rather be slow but sure when it comes to traps and locks.)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

Well... I suppose that makes sense. I didn't think that there would be penalties in running away.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Aw. I wanted to see what would happen if I brutally murdered the shopkeeper. Ah well, at least I have some necromancer skill.)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

(( Thanks Sensei  :D))

Quote from:  Player List
Evil Wizard, currently fire mage - IronyOwl - Riggle
Cliched Troll Berserker - Azthor - Tog
Ex-Guard, variety of weapons - Tiruin - Alle Ormist
Dark Apprentice, will probably have fire or necromancy spell starting out - mcclay - Markoz
Ogrish Butcher, axe, armor, backup bow - UltraValican - DragoMcDabu
Sneaky, dirty fighter/thief - Zako - LeStronge/Max
A rogue that knows how to use magic devices - Monkeyfacedprickleback - Caleb Graw
A doctor, strangely fighting in the Pit - Grek - Dr. Ulrich von Grekenhoff
Burly, scarred ex-miner - Yoink - Delboe Sumpfoot
A Mage, an Invoker - Toaster - Thrakor
Necromantic Goblinoid - IamanElfCollaborator - Corvander

Dedication to those who have died:

Systar (Toaster) - A Sneaky Thug, who held backup daggers and caltrops. He will surely rot in peace.

~~~
Spectators!!

Note that for every spectator, all contestants get +1 Silver. Cumulative. Also, those spectators get a note when anyone does something. They can throw random things at the competitors. Post up for watching  :D

Criptfeind
Happerry
Ghazkull

Weaponry (throwables, non-lethal presumed):
Bottles (empty)
Bricks (clay?)
Priceless Statuettes!

Note, Currency rate is:
 1 Gold coin = 10 Silver Coins = 100 Copper Coins
1 Silver Coin = 10 Copper Coins
Quote from:  Inventory for each player
Note that the addition of coin from spectators is not yet added unless specified. (Currently +3sp bonus. 'No leftovers' mean that the 10sp starting wage has been used.)
Spoiler: IronyOwl (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Azthor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: mcclay (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: UltraValican (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zako (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Monkeyfacedprickleback (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grek (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: IamanElfCollaborator (click to show/hide)

Note: Unless the price is stated in parenthesis or any note is attached, then the item currently in question has been either traded from other players or stolen from the town or other players.

Loot-able Corpses
Spoiler: Systar (Toaster) (click to show/hide)
@IamanElfCollaborator: There are no staves for sale.

Now I hope I got the inventory right everyone.

Anyone know how to spoiler a spoiler so this mighty list won't take up much space?
~~~
Alle rubs his eyes in confusion, then straightens up. It looks like the danger has passed.

But there were still two crystals left. And they had to find it before anyone else did.

He decides the thief's plan would work out well, the man hunched near the door needed help anyway.

So, he guards them. Keeping an observant eye for anything dangerous and will react accordingly, to either ally or foe.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Double darn it. Well, at least I have a LOT of weaponry on me. :D . Also, I apologize, but I don't think a necromancer can be a necromancer without a good stave. After all, we need something to channel power through.)

Corvander walked away, stolen scroll in hand. He looked for a rabbit warren to test the magic out on. He found three freshly dead rabbits and used it on them. Their eyes glowed with purple light as they got up and hopped off.

'Heh. My magic is strangely....weak today.'

He flips his spear around as he walks to the pit, 3 undead rabbits in tow.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:30:11 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile

It is plot twist time:

Tog dispels Alter Self.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

Thrakor looks around and sees corpses and action.

"Yeah, I need a hand here."

Cast basic summon imp!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile

carefully walk into the room and avoid the place and loot the dagger, claptros and lockpicks while avoiding speary death.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21