Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Displaying Artifacts - Dorfish Museums?  (Read 2605 times)

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Displaying Artifacts - Dorfish Museums?
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »

What are the general techniques to expose artifacts to dwarves?

It's easy when I have an artifact that is a statue or door, I merely make a statue garden or put the door in a high traffic path (dining room door usually suffices).

What are other techniques/ways to get artifacts displayed to produce happy thoughts?

I wish there was a museum room you could make, perhaps off a new item like a display case or cabinet, that you could assign artifacts to for dwarves to treat like other social rooms.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying Artifacts - Dorfish Museums?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »

One really micromanagement-heavy way is to put a stockpile for the item where you want it displayed, and then utilizing the dump command to get all the xx(troll fur sock)xx out, and your artifact in.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:36:08 pm »

Many people have modded in display cases for this purpose.  Most of these require one block, one glass box, and one "any item".  I often use these to display my Goblin Skull Totems and Elf Bone Helms.  I also had a "totem" item at one point, constructed using a totem and allowed movement past it, fun little flavor addition.  I'd also made armor stands that used armor pieces to make a full suit of armor on display, those were entertaining.

For Vanilla, weapons can be made into weapon traps to increase room value, as can mechanisms - great for making an expensive well.  Furniture items can, of course, be built as furniture.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:33:31 pm »

Make a stockpile that only takes artifacts. Put it someplace where the dwarves can look at them, preferably with a moat or bars to protect them from thieves. If you want to make it more formal then engrave and put in masterfull statues, perhaps one or two depicting the artifacts in question.

Itīs all about putting lots of value in the same place, which is easy with stockpiles, the rest is just what we call it. Thereīs no museum workshop, but a valuable room with valuable content works the same way, after some micromanagement, but micromanagement is what DF is all about.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:42:34 pm »

Display case mod. Generally I stash my artefacts away, especially weapons. I then seal them up and try to hide them as much as possible, and upon reclaim, I accidentally uncover a secret wall, AND WOE BEHOLD!!! My artefact armours in display cases, my weapons in weapon traps and bla bla bla.

My all time favourite has so far been my Artefact Jade portal that separated my fort from the danger room trained gobby army and the HFS. I'm sure they admired it more than my ungrateful dorfs D:<

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:13:24 am »

save some exceptions, i usually display my artifacts on a museum with some artifact stockpiles, as Forumite said. Just make sure the stockpile(s) are set to not use bins and you'll have a nice little room with the floor filled of wondrous pieces of dwarven labor work. i prefer this way because to me it gives the atifacts a nice gameboy-zelda-like flavour i tend to like in this game  :D just make sure to play the part of the violent shopkeepeer and place a sh*tload of traps in the access to the museum, and a pen with some hard-hitting critters for your would-be thieves
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 11:11:43 am »

just make sure to play the part of the violent shopkeepeer
This reminds me of being shot and beaten to death by a shopkeeper in NetHack. It's not a pleasant experience...

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 11:43:46 am »

"How dare you break my door?" *produce wand of striking* PEW PEW PEW!
good armok now I need a berserk as a curator! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ME BAY12FORUMS?!?!
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

good armok now I need a berserk as a curator! WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ME BAY12FORUMS?!?!

Everything.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »

let the !!Science!! begin
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-