Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74

Author Topic: Re: Luigi Quest: TAKEOVER BY THE FFSCC! Create a new game! See last page  (Read 126016 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Luigi Quest: Down but not out.
« Reply #1020 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:33 am »

I bet no one even remembers this, do they?
Ironically enough, I do.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:45 pm »

A reboot? Does that mean you might be accepting new players?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:24 pm »

I was under the impression that this will remain a suggestion game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: February 22, 2013, 02:52:11 pm »

I was under the impression that this will remain a suggestion game.

Yes, sorry, but I'm not rebooting MKW (though it's certainly not a terrible idea.) This would remain a suggestion game.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 22, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

A bit sad that this iteration of the thread is dead, as it was quite fun, but I'm glad to hear tell of a reboot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Luigi Quest: TAKEOVER BY THE FFSCC! Create a new game!
« Reply #1026 on: July 23, 2013, 10:56:45 pm »

Greetings, gentlemen.

As you may know, the attempted reboot of Mushroom Kingdom Wars was a resounding failure. Project "MUSHROOM KINGDOM WARS: SECOND STORY" was intended to recreate the feel of older FFSCC creations with the flair and polish of newer projects. Sadly, the story came to an abrupt end when, after a series of silly arguments, the thread was shut down, locking the second and most advanced iteration of the FFSCC Mushroom World in a temporal stasis. The Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard (Boothany, Inezach, Teressa and all the others) were flushed, alongside their previous counterparts (Zachary, Bradley, Oomph, Ochita and so on), to Free Floating Storage (FFS) where all halted or doomed FFSCC World Projects are stored.

If you were not aware of our intentions before, they are simple: all FFSCC worlds are, by default, infected by some horrific, world-rending tumor. In Project "MUSHROOM KINGDOM WARS RTD," the Neverwas, a bleak void, threatened to breach the gap between the medieval Mushroom World and other points in time and space. Though it was at the cost of those heroes who sought to purify the world, Project "MUSHROOM KINGDOM WARS RTD" was ultimately locked away in FFS along with the Neverwas.

The Shimmer Star of Project "MUSHROOM KINGDOM WARS: SECOND STORY" was its world-threatening tumor. A Power Star beyond the Power of all other Stars, it granted King Bowser his greatest advantage yet. Of course, this power came at a cost, but the world was locked away in FFS before adverse effects could be seen.

The thread you are seeing now, Project "LUIGI QUEST," was a side-story taking place in the locked-away world of Project "MUSHROOM KINGDOM WARS RTD." In this thread, the source of the tumor in said project was revealed: a dark, shadowy star, creatively named the Shadow Star. By this point, you may be noticing a trend.

The Shadow Star. The Shimmering Star. Collectively referred to as "Power Stars." These creatures infect every iteration of Mushroom World. Every time, the worlds' inhabitants think they can control, harness, and abuse the power of the stars. Every time, they're wrong.

Now, Free Floating Storage allows these infected worlds to be closed off from the multiverse at large. But what FFS does not allow for is separation of the individual worlds inside. Indeed, every FFSCC project is, once halted, thrown inside the FFS until further notice. This would'nt be a problem, but, ah.

These two worlds were particularly volatile from the passion and effort that went into crafting and maintaining them. After the second iteration was hastily thrown in the FFS early in its lifetime, we began noticing some unusual readings. Despite our expectations, the tumor from one world broke through the contained Neverwas and seeped into the other unsuspecting land. Even though the worlds themselves cannot be affected, we now fear the combined tumor - referred to as the "Silence Star" - may have the power to break through the FFS, letting the chaos and destruction contained inside out into our own world.

However, there is hope, and this is why I have called you all here today. Project "WARRENS OF ORIC THE AWESOME" has generated greater success than any other project so far. We now believe the end goal of the FFSCC is within reach: to create a world which is purified by its inhabitants and eventually evolves without our intervention. Unfortunately, the FFS scare is currently derailing progress on this new world, but Project "WARRENS OF ORIC THE AWESOME" has granted us ideas on how to handle the massive multiversal leak.

We at the FFSCC wish to create a "dummy world" to lock in the FFS. Its inhabitants will be given special equipment allowing them to survive the harsh environment of the temporal prison. They will then proceed to the many other worlds locked away and use their power to purify them from the inside. In the end, we hope to have heroes from this dummy world destroy the Silence Star permanently.

Maybe this was a bit to much to understand. Essentially, what I am asking you to do is this:

Help me create a massive crossover game!

I need input on how this should be done. The format, theme and setting of the game should be decided before it even starts (instead of rushing into it blindly like I normally do). I require the following things to create a game that updates fairly often:

*Simplicity and variety in update content
*An interesting setting with plenty of mysteries
*Humor

On the other hand, that could be any forum game. Here are some other things people have enjoyed from my games that arguably slow updates down but improve quality and motivation:

*Illustrations and maps, likely in a rather simplistic style.
*"Tactical RPG" gameplay in which the characters are shown from overhead maps
*Fun minigames, Flash segments and other out-of-forum tie-in things.
*Elaborate - but not realistic - RPG mechanics

And, of course, we'll need to talk about the format of the game.

*RPGs tend to update slower, and I've had a lot less motivation to work on them. On the other hand, roleplaying and stuff tends to be really fun!
*My suggestion games usually update faster, but only out of necessity. I've only made one successful suggestion game, but I could use some of those ideas for RPG mechanics in it to make something new.
*Maybe something else entirely?

We can nail down the details later. For now, this thread is hijacked by the Freeformschooler Creation Consortium, and we're going to build my next forum game! Don't post if you're "fine with whatever." Tell me what YOU want to see because YOUR votes matter. Detailed suggestions get detailed responses, but I'll respond to everything anyone has to say in the thread about the Next FFS Game starting now. Thanks for reading and participating!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:38:05 pm by freeformschooler »

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 23, 2013, 11:08:15 pm »

Format -- I'd like to see another suggestion game from you, as I feel they tend to be interesting due to the sheer mass of different people debating plans, theories, etc., but I may be a bit biased because your RPGs tend to be hard to get into.
Theme -- Currently thinking on it.
Setting -- Same as theme.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 23, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »

Suggestion game is definitely what I'm leaning toward, but my main fear is that I tend to have time and energy for SGs very sporadically. When I'm interested in one I'll ignore the other etc. Thank you for you input.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 24, 2013, 12:07:39 am »

Maybe you could try a game like Einsteinian Roulette? It would allow you to have a large number of people in your game at once, with all the benefits that brings, while still allowing decent roleplaying and plot opportunities. The setting could be in some sort of interspacial nexus, with the players tasked with entering other worlds and fixing something there, as you seem to have mentioned in the flavor text you have about the Silence Star.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:52 am »

Hmm. I would love that, but I don't have the kind of time or single minded-ness Piecewise has. It's all the difficulty of a normal RPG magnified because I have to keep track of a ton of people and what they're doing.

EDIT: To clarify, Piecewise provides updates for two or three threads full of eightish players at least each. I don't have that kind of time or energy. Not my thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:15:22 am by freeformschooler »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 24, 2013, 10:22:23 am »

I think he meant make something "mission based" instead of following a single set of characters throughout.  A secondary thread would be provided for the inactive characters, whose actual actions could be extremely limited for ease of moderation.

If you don't want to do it that way, though, I can totally understand.  PW is a machine.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 24, 2013, 10:26:54 am »

Oh. Well, in that case it would be fun, but I'm not sure that's really conducive to the feeling I often create in long-running games (characters who very slowly build in power and RPG stats). Maybe, maybe not. That would certainly be a way to let everyone in if it's an RPG without worrying about popping people in from the waitlist whens someone dies.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 24, 2013, 10:36:29 am »

Also useful in that people can still have fun in the game when they aren't playing.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 24, 2013, 10:41:15 am »

Also useful in that people can still have fun in the game when they aren't playing.

I'm still not sure that's worth the trade-off (especially considering how insistent some players are in fucking everything up for everyone else and making my modkill trigger finger twitch). That said, I appreciate the mission format one way or another after thinking about it this way:

The game's going to be a massive multiplayer crossover utilizing portions of settings from my past games and other past games. We know that much. Why not adapt the mission format into the setting itself? The player characters could be "unfreezing" certain places in time just long enough to make them safe havens (which is what the original heroes of each world were trying to accomplish). It could be fun to revisit some locations that had under-utilized potential.

I'm working on a graphical demo for something, too.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74