Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Uniform design  (Read 2804 times)

ActnMoviHeroBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uniform design
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:21:25 pm »

Just what the title says. What kinds of uniforms do you like to use? why? do you have pre-metal and post-metal uniforms?

also, if anyone knows why i can't seem to assign Bone Greaves to my squad, let me know. I just made ten.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform design
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:51:49 pm »

You can't select bone or shell as uniform materials. Wood might work like this too.

My usual uniforms are rather boring metal-everything with a leather robe underneath, leather cloak and leather hood. I only use one of each armour as stacking chain shirts feels wrong to me.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:53:39 pm »

My uniforms are full steel. Shield, mail shirt, leggings, breastplate, gauntlets, spiked helm and an axe. With enough danger room training (read: 1 season) they won't be stopped by anything.

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »

I just give mine metal armor setting. They seem all-too eager to put on wooden pants though. After some elves got slaughtered, my military all ran out and pulled on their wooden leg wear. I think they just wear them now to piss the elves off.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »

I just go straight for steel armor if it's available.  That's a steel mail shirt underneath, plus steel plate on every part.  On top of that I've been experimenting with leather hoods and cloaks, because I've heard they're actually fairly useful.

If steel isn't available, copper pretty much always is, so copper armor.  I've yet to find tin and copper to make bronze.  I just go looking for candy at this point.

I once had a dwarf beat on an enemy's head for 2 months straight, failing to get through their leather hood.  Of course, I think it was a crossbow, but still.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »

Steel Breastplate, red dyed cloak, steel greaves, gauntlets highboots and a copper shield. Weapons deviate a bit.

Helmets are for officers and heroes only.

(Damn maces keep smashing in skulls :P)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »

If you mean what I actually equip the militia with, I try for steel, but settle for whatever I can make or "acquire". :D

If you mean the Uniforms screen in the military panel, I take the stock "Metal Armor" uniform and change "Individual Choice" weapon to a specific weapon type.  I have found that if you select a weapon type, then create a squad using that uniform, you can change the weapon in the uniform without affecting what an already created squad is set to use.  Makes it very easy to have one uniform that you just swap out weapons as you need to for differently equipped squads. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »

Full suit of armour, full suit of clothing to go beneath
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:40 pm »

Currently, I pump out a surplus of equipment made from whatever material I have on hand, and then let them put on whatever the hell they please. Urist McSwordmaster would rather have cap than a helm, or a breastplate instead of chainmail? Go for it. As long as they do what they're told, they can run around battling their enemies in nothing but thongs and their favorite hat for all I care.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

On my newest world I have limited metal, so soldiers advance through better armor by racking up kills.

Conscript (0-4 kills):
Chainmail Shirt
Gauntlets
Boots
Weapon

Soldier (5-14 kills):
Chainmail shirt
Gauntlets
Greaves
Boots
Shield
Weapon

Veteran (15+ kills):
Chainmail shirt
Breastplate
Gauntlets
Greaves
Boots
Helmet
Shield
Weapon

Needless to say, with Fortress Defense enabled most won't make it past the Conscript stage
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:21 pm »

I have two basic uniforms based on squad role. Melee squads get a mailshirt, leggings and helm with leather high boots, and a wooden shield to go with their weapon. I tend to select "individual choice, melee", since these squads are primarily a rapid-reponse force; when the alarm goes up I want them to grab whatever weapon happens to be at hand and leg it for the front gates.

My crossbow/musket squads are a bit more active, and I try to have one squad on duty all year round. Basic uniform for them is just a breastplate and helmet, seeing as they should be fighting exclusively from behind fortifications unless something goes horribly wrong. I don't usually give them a shield as I've modded in a bunch of ranged weapons that are supposed to be wielded two-handed. Once I get my clothing industry on-stream I expand it to a proper uniform as well as the armour: Red coat or tunic and white shirt, blue trousers and leather boots, with a cloak and gloves for bad weather.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »

On my newest world I have limited metal, so soldiers advance through better armor by racking up kills.

Conscript (0-4 kills):
Chainmail Shirt
Gauntlets
Boots
Weapon

Soldier (5-14 kills):
Chainmail shirt
Gauntlets
Greaves
Boots
Shield
Weapon

Veteran (15+ kills):
Chainmail shirt
Breastplate
Gauntlets
Greaves
Boots
Helmet
Shield
Weapon

Needless to say, with Fortress Defense enabled most won't make it past the Conscript stage
If you provide your conscripts with leather caps, more would survive, I think. ;)

I like your plan, however. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:14 pm »

My general strategy is to cover every square inch with a metal, no matter what level. This came about when two fortresses ago I finally understood the proper logistics to military setup, and was successfully defending myself from seiges for the first time. I began to notice that my veterans had missing limbs, mainly because I had never assigned them gauntlets. Basically, if it's not encased in metal you're probably going to get it chopped off, is my motto.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 10:05:32 pm »

Forgot about the weapon.  It seems to be common to use the individual choice option here, but from my understanding this is suboptimal.  The dwarves will waste time having demonstrations during training that will only help some of the squad, whereas if they all use the same weapon they all benefit.

This doesn't apply if you use danger rooms, of course.

I tend to use swords or axes as my melee weapons.  Good versatility and stopping power.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »

1x Spear
1x shield

Now go hunt some unicorns. If you come back, we have food for everyone. If you dont, we have food for everyone.

2x caps
1x helm
6x hoods
2x mailshirts
1x breastplate
4x cloaks
1x gauntlets
2x trousers
1x greaves
1x highboots
1x xbow
1x shield

If you dont run into unicorn, set some cage traps for some target practice. If you run into unicorns, target practice.

Full kit but with warhammers
See that goblin? I want his socks

Full kit but with spears
We are dragonborns

Full kit but with bows
Tonight, we dine in hell!!
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: [1] 2 3