Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839861 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2g - NEW RELEASE
« Reply #9720 on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:13 am »

Oh Meph, we're talking about fish&food: Genies are an incredible idea, but I had from them some Gems that are putted into the food stockpile, probably because they are "eggs" they put into nest box ?

Are misunderstood item categories a problem during reactions, or everything will work as planned anyway ?

I have some few other problems like that, I see this everytime I have a caravan trade.

Fungus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9721 on: March 07, 2013, 08:45:03 am »

Ah well, that's what I figured. Shame.

Doing some more maths using my current embark. Just used prospect to find out how much mithril there is; I'm looking at 4755. That's on a 3x3 embark 175 z levels deep. Whee, that'll take some finding. Now, if I remember correctly, mithril doesn't drop ore 100% of the time. So the x4 multiplier is nullified here. So, let's say I find 10% of that mithril, giving me 475.5. I refine it, patternweld it, I get 951 bars. I turn those into battleaxes and get 475 again. These I churn through the weaponry; I'll get approximately 71 legendarys, 30% of which should be masterwork. That's 21 masterwork legendary battleaxes and a lot of processing, mining, and unmeltable superior battleaxes. Even then the 21 masterwork legendary battleaxes I expect might be as low as 5 (or as high as 40, or anything. I could get 71. I could get none) and I still haven't made any armour. I can recycle some of my axes, but I wouldn't want to turn my weaponsmith suicidal so I would sell the masterworks. There's also a huge cost in steel, namely 950 bars, for all the reforging. With 15,000 hematite stones and 45,000 marble this wouldn't be as much of a problem though.

Now, I can see it being sort of high-tech and requiring a lot of work. Outfitting your best soldiers and the lark. Also you can trade for many mithril items from the elves (which has made pissing them off a lot less attractive) but that source is also unreliable. This is all very well when it comes to mithril... But if I wanted to make masterwork legendary candy axes? There's only 2047 stones on my map and obtaining enough to outfit a squad would not be safe, and of course the resource is finite. I wouldn't want to waste a single wafer.

So my point is the system doesn't lend itself to perfectionists unless you want to equip a solitary adventurer or abuse DFhack or buggy game mechanics. When hitting the candy I think I would probably do the latter. Honestly though, I can't think of a solution, and you put a lot of work into this mod Meph so I don't expect you to wrack your brains over this. Can anybody else?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9722 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:01 am »

@Nokoa: Well, even legendary, fully armored meele dwarves have a bad time against Warlocks. Thats what I made them for, to force people to use ranged units as well. Forst Giants are the opposite, they are fairly resistant against archers, you need to cut of limbs to kill them. This way people should use both types of weapons.

Are misunderstood item categories a problem during reactions, or everything will work as planned anyway ?
He? You mean stockpiling? That has nothing to do with the reactions, its a completely different thing.

Gems into food stockpile sounds... wrong. I know for a fact that they go to the gem stockpile. Genies have been in the mod since the start. I mean, I havent tested it in a year or so... but still, gems in food stockpile, never heard about it.

@Fungus: You can also refine silver into mithril. And trade. And loot dead elves. Anyway, why the focus on mithril? Its the same as steel, only lighter. Try candy. Bifrost. Volcanic. Definetly volcanic. Great Magma Forge.

So, in short: What exactly is your problem? That you cant, in theorie, equip everyone with everything? Tough luck, play another game :P

Edit: If you are a perfectionist, why Mithril? Volcanic is the best metal you can make.
Edit2: Anyway, the point is not to give everyone everthing, but to highly value this ONE volcanic masterwork legendary great axe you made and give it to your favourite champion. If it would be easy to make it, whats the point? :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:51:10 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:45 am »

Yes Meph, Warlocks are really too overpowered. I like things like "from great power comes great responsability".

For example, lower a little the amazing damage they do with magic, and let say they sold their soul to a dark god, so after killing the warlock, a zombie raises with it's remains.

I DO love ranged dwarfes, and use them the more that I can.
Did I mention you that my mayor, (FORMER military), when lost his chief medical friend (red dragon beast breath), going to take his corpse killed the dragon with 5 shots?
One for each internal organ.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:25:28 am by Nokao »

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:37 am »

Gems into food stockpile sounds... wrong.

• Well when I build structures (floors walls etc) I can make them of golem earths, all plans and blueprints, gargoule statue, grimoire of death and tome of life, etc). Is this ok ?
    If it is, will the wall have the value multiplied by item value? (I could definitely rebuild my Count room with unused blueprints).
  • Also, searching to equip my best squad with bifrost weapons, I found both "frost giant" and "bifrost" type, wich I should select ?
    I saw also "tears/blood of amrok" is that even possible ?
  • Also, encrusting weapons&armors with gem give them benefits?
  • I captured a beer man, can I brew him? hahahha

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:39:03 pm by Nokao »

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:46 am »

...putted my questions toghether .... poor Meph...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:05:49 pm by Nokao »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:04 am »

@Fungus: You can also refine silver into mithril. And trade. And loot dead elves. Anyway, why the focus on mithril? Its the same as steel, only lighter. Try candy. Bifrost. Volcanic. Definetly volcanic. Great Magma Forge.

So, in short: What exactly is your problem? That you cant, in theorie, equip everyone with everything? Tough luck, play another game :P

Edit: If you are a perfectionist, why Mithril? Volcanic is the best metal you can make.
Edit2: Anyway, the point is not to give everyone everthing, but to highly value this ONE volcanic masterwork legendary great axe you made and give it to your favourite champion. If it would be easy to make it, whats the point? :P
You need Mithril to make Volcanic anyway so focusing on Volcanic means focusing on Mithril.
If you have a Mithril shortage I find it best to only make Volcanic weapons and Welded Mithril Armor though.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:42 pm »

Ah well, that's what I figured. Shame.

Doing some more maths using my current embark. Just used prospect to find out how much mithril there is; I'm looking at 4755. That's on a 3x3 embark 175 z levels deep. Whee, that'll take some finding. Now, if I remember correctly, mithril doesn't drop ore 100% of the time. So the x4 multiplier is nullified here. So, let's say I find 10% of that mithril, giving me 475.5. I refine it, patternweld it, I get 951 bars. I turn those into battleaxes and get 475 again. These I churn through the weaponry; I'll get approximately 71 legendarys, 30% of which should be masterwork. That's 21 masterwork legendary battleaxes and a lot of processing, mining, and unmeltable superior battleaxes. Even then the 21 masterwork legendary battleaxes I expect might be as low as 5 (or as high as 40, or anything. I could get 71. I could get none) and I still haven't made any armour. I can recycle some of my axes, but I wouldn't want to turn my weaponsmith suicidal so I would sell the masterworks. There's also a huge cost in steel, namely 950 bars, for all the reforging. With 15,000 hematite stones and 45,000 marble this wouldn't be as much of a problem though.

Now, I can see it being sort of high-tech and requiring a lot of work. Outfitting your best soldiers and the lark. Also you can trade for many mithril items from the elves (which has made pissing them off a lot less attractive) but that source is also unreliable. This is all very well when it comes to mithril... But if I wanted to make masterwork legendary candy axes? There's only 2047 stones on my map and obtaining enough to outfit a squad would not be safe, and of course the resource is finite. I wouldn't want to waste a single wafer.

So my point is the system doesn't lend itself to perfectionists unless you want to equip a solitary adventurer or abuse DFhack or buggy game mechanics. When hitting the candy I think I would probably do the latter. Honestly though, I can't think of a solution, and you put a lot of work into this mod Meph so I don't expect you to wrack your brains over this. Can anybody else?

Simple: Just trade for mithril and steel, and make volcanic. Both the elves AND dwarfs can give you plenty of mithril bars, you can stockpile hundreds without any mining. By the way, the 10% yield is highly pessimistic, I got 100+ with relatively little mining, so I'd say it's about 50%.
I have a problem with weapon upgrades though, both weaponry and runesmith: they don't have access to any weapon the soldiers actually hold. I know this is a vanilla a thing, and probably impossible to work out, but it still requires quite a lot of micromanagement with a big army.

I have a question: What's the siege trigger of the enemy races? It would be nice to have exact numbers (years, pop cap, etc).
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: March 07, 2013, 07:05:02 pm »

I have a question: What's the siege trigger of the enemy races? It would be nice to have exact numbers (years, pop cap, etc).

The numbers are found at the link below, you can look in the entity raws to get the tiers for each race.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Entity_token#Behavior

Honestly though, I can't think of a solution, and you put a lot of work into this mod Meph so I don't expect you to wrack your brains over this. Can anybody else?

If there's not enough ore for your liking, you could increase the amount in 2 ways. Changing the MINERAL_SCARCITY tag in the worldgen.txt to something lower will increase everything, and by editing the inorganic raws you can tinker with each ore individually. You can even add something like:

[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_ONE:10]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER_SMALL:1]

to the candy and you'll occasionally find it outside of its natural habitat. Or you could up the percentages to 100 and find it more often, but there's no sense in making it too easy.

Also, with the armoury upgrades, is it even worth getting moody armoursmiths? I'd guess not but I really don't want to spoil things for myself by looking at the raws.

You don't want to spoil things for yourself? Then allow me!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, questions!

Blood Blobs/Acid Blobs: I'm supposed to butcher them to get the stuff to make fancy bolts, right? Or is that taken care of in one of the advanced workshops?

Do Magmamancers still explode occasionally? if so, will dressing one all in Netherbark save him?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:19:52 pm by Nice Save »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9729 on: March 07, 2013, 07:19:38 pm »

Blood Blobs/Acid Blobs: I'm supposed to butcher them to get the stuff to make fancy bolts, right? Or is that taken care of in one of the advanced workshops?

Do Magmamancers still explode occasionally? if so, will dressing one all in Netherbark save him?

Eh... special ammo is not in the game anymore, if I am not mistake. Because of the toxicist, it replaced the feature. The blobs are still there, just kill them in any way you like, their corpse is the gem.

Magmamancer explode only when they flee. And no, netherbark armor will not save anything.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »

Ah, cool, I'm not too bothered about the special ammo, but I'm currently in the process of murdering all my animals to boost FPS and I didn't want to throw away the value of the blobs given that I traded for them.

Also, I just realised I hid that link to the armour spreadsheet in a spoiler. It's rough as I didn't expect anyone but me to be using it, but the info is there. If anyone's interested I'll clean it up for general use at the weekend.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7462

Riverfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:10 pm »

I attached a spreadsheet I use for my own reference, bear in mind it isn't cleaned up for actual use by real people. The fancy names of the special armors aren't spoiled if that's what you're worried about.

EDIT: apparently I didn't attach anything as that's not something that can be done here.

EDIT2: Here it is: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7462

You sir/lady just got my second deepest mancrush/crush.

Laggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: March 07, 2013, 10:39:52 pm »

So I'm having a bit of a strange minor issue.  Occasionally, part of my fonts "disappear" in game.  All it takes to fix it is resizing the game window (even just 1px).  Is it a bi-product of the Masterwork font, or because I'm using Truetype?  If so, is there any way to get around it without disabling either/both of those?

Edit:  Also, I seem to be having trouble with wood stockpiles :o

I build a wood stockpile around my Carpenter's Workshop, but its not filling up with wood.  There is wood chopped, but my dwarves are leaving it sitting out in the open instead of carrying it to my stockpile.  I checked the stockpile settings, and Wood is definitely enabled.  So confused :o

Edit 2:  For reference to the stockpiles problem:  I have Simple Trees turned on, and More Tree Types turned off.  I notice that all basic trees I cut down produce only Wood Logs (not named types or anything).  But in the wood stockpile materials list, there are all kinds of things listed (Oak, Maple, etc etc etc), none of which are simple just "Wood".  Not sure if that is what's causing this problem or not?  (Also for reference, I made stockpiles the exact same way for stones around my stone-using workshops and they work fine.  This is really boggling :|  )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:01:12 am by Laggy »

SuicideRey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: March 07, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »

Changelog update pretty please with a cherry on top?

What do you mean? All changelogs can be accessed from the fronpage.
Last time I checked it was only updated to 2b... It's 2g now, right? Sorry if I'am mistaken.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:50:09 pm by SuicideRey »

Platipus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:33 pm »

Hallo! I have a problem with this mode - invaders don't come. The version of Masterwork is 2.f. "Invaders" option is switched on in the starter program. I tried to play for two times. But in both cases for four years there were only thieves from the races that lived in that area, and only one goblin ambush in the fourth year. Why don't they make sieges?
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 749