Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839817 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2g - NEW RELEASE
« Reply #9690 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:50 pm »

If you are planning another update soon I can wait for that but I had not noticed any indication of a new version soon, just you collecting bug reports.
I need to play with the new therapist and see if there are any Linux problems anyway.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9691 on: March 06, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »

I dont plant much, so I cant tell you when I do the next version. I dont have a schedule or anything. Might be today, might be in a month.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: March 06, 2013, 06:30:23 pm »

Hey, can I make a dual suggestion for orc and dwarf modes? Change up the church of the dark depths a little, modify the whole mages thing to be more like a cult, and add the ability to build it to orc fortress. I don't think there is enough you can do with ironbone and bloodsteel at the moment in ever mode.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: March 06, 2013, 07:11:39 pm »

I'd certainly be up for more suggestions of unique things to do with bloodsteel but probably not copying a Dwarven temple --  orcish sorcerers are already a dark mage, if I added new types of mages they would probably be more different than they are similar.

I am a little confused at the point of the suggestion anyway, Orcish sorcerers can use up plenty of bloodsteel for crafting their spells & codex, not to mention wraithblades & shards.  The Dwarvish CotDD does not use up any bloodsteel except in the building mats unless I'm mistaken?   

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: March 06, 2013, 07:26:27 pm »

It just seemed easy to me, to use it as a placeholder. Also had an idea to produce armour through combination of rigid chitin, lamellar leather, rigid scale, rigid shell and bloodsteel at the andient foundry.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:32 pm »

It just seemed easy to me, to use it as a placeholder. Also had an idea to produce armour through combination of rigid chitin, lamellar leather, rigid scale, rigid shell and bloodsteel at the andient foundry.

Do you know the bonemolded runerobe & mail at the Tribal Warcrafter?  it is not exactly the same but kind of up the alley you are going there I think.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you have the ancient foundry, then bloodsteel->orichalcum.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: March 06, 2013, 07:50:32 pm »

This is going to probably be a dumb question, but what is responsible for sifting through kobold goody bags? I got a bunch sitting by my front door and would like to see what cave-santa gave me for being a good little dwarfling. I didn't see anything in the manual about it unless I missed it when I gave it a look.

Also, which is better, Rusty steel or cobalt maces?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: March 06, 2013, 07:58:20 pm »

Do you know the bonemolded runerobe & mail at the Tribal Warcrafter?  it is not exactly the same but kind of up the alley you are going there I think.

If you have the ancient foundry, then bloodsteel->orichalcum.
I was thinking more cbone-platemail for sorcerer-warriors.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: March 06, 2013, 09:09:54 pm »

The search function crash thing is probably because you put in a number. That usually makes it crash for me.

Do you have a save where you can reproduce this crash? If so I'd like to take a look.

As promised here is a save: my "embark everywhere" + "conquer human fortress" savegame, on MasterWork DF2f
But as I told you I never had other crashes while searching trough my military or units screen. Thinking back to what happened (2 times) I have the SUSPECT I was searching for a term I use for "useless dwarfes", ("meat"), that I apply as nickname from Dwarf Terapist. Dwarf Terapist was still updating DF memory WHILE using the search function. Anyway this was clearly my fault.

I ask you all who is curious to give a look to that savegame, if you have any advise/tip of DF techniques I'm still missing.
I managed to make military schedules, auto-flows, economy seems to work fine. All MW workshops in F2, F3, and F6 north-east hot keys.

The fortress is a human castle conquered with embark anywhere, then customized and dwarved by me.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9700 on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:24 pm »

Things to learn (or tiny things I noticed):
 - Closing your waterfall, it has open space, flying invaders will enter.
 - Mining. You have done no exploratory mining at all, only used dfhack to "digv"
 - No Magma defense, pumpstacks or pistons.
 - What is this weird upstairs/downstairs thing you do in many digged clusters? Hundrets of stairs, everywhere.
 - You have a perfectly straight 2-tile sandstone area above a canal, with pillars on the mapedge. More dfhack?
 - I do like the artificial waterfall, and even learned something new myself: Wells above wells still work.
 - You need a lot more barrels/pots for your food.
 - You have tons of captured animals/invaders. Why not train the animals and kill the invaders for training?
 - You need a lot more bins as well for your goods.
 - NEVER, EVER dig into flowing water without a floodgate safety switch. (I assume you have one, but I cant find it)
 - Dont make coins. They serve no function.
 - You have only 56 drinks.
 - Some of your nobles need better rooms.
 - You are still missing the dark Church, the Hall of the Mountain King and the Expedition Outfitter ;)
 - Your military is understaffed and half of them carry crutches. ^^
 - It also looks like the second cavern is closed, the third cavern closed, you have no candy, and havent been to the circus yet :P
 - Your hospital has no soap.
 - Wouldnt nearly everything die of friendly-fire of your dragons?
 - Why no quantum stockpiles, at least for the stone? Or make all stone to blocks, these at least fit into bins.
 - You have hundrets of gems, but no bins.. its... argh... the horror. :P

But all in all, a very nice, very solid looking fortress.But runs only at 20fps because of the waterfall and the 600 creatures on the map. ^^

Oh, and I solved the traffic by simply pulling the bridge lever. Worked wonders. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:04:55 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: March 06, 2013, 10:31:07 pm »

First of all,  thank you very much for the feedback ! How many helpful tips !!
As you saw I'm new, but I passed the last three months (I discovered DF this christmas) to study endlessy youtube videos, magmawiki, this forum, etc.
And I have a lot of imagination :D

Things to learn (or tiny things I noticed):
 - Closing your waterfall, it has open space, flying invaders will enter.

Well I have 2 levers just north to block everything, of course they are not enough, but never had problems with invaders from there until now.

- Mining. You have done no exploratory mining at all, only used dfhack to "digv"

You're right! I was very craving for magma, and as you see it's very deep. My plan was to take it up learning how to use Screw Pumps Stack, but 100 z levels is too much !
So I preferred to rush down and make magma-furnaces directly down, near magma.

Anyway, do you really discourage that much digv and dfhacks like that ? if mining (designations) wouldn't pause the game, I would do them more often.

- No Magma defense, pumpstacks or pistons.

Too lazy for a 100 z level Pump Stack ! I'll try blood of Amrok as long as I find it, I will try to make a magma cistern against invaders with it.

- What is this weird upstairs/downstairs thing you do in many digged clusters? Hundrets of stairs, everywhere.

I was trying "digv x" and it went rough against me, causing a singularity that eventually destroyed the universe.

- You have a perfectly straight 2-tile sandstone area above a canal, with pillars on the mapedge. More dfhack?

Oh no this is a Vanilla trick I learned in this forum, doing fortifications in the map edge makes water flow out, this is to increase FPS.

- I do like the artificial waterfall, and even learned something new myself: Wells above wells still work.

Yes!!! I discovered this 1 week ago, and I changed my "square lake" design to this "piramid" design that have spiralling stairs and interiors.
But as you saw I was unlucky with the terrain, it's sandy, so I just did 1 big bedroom (I found that layour on magmawiki "bedroom design") and it's enough for my 150 population.

- You need a lot more barrels/pots for your food.
 - You need a lot more bins as well for your goods.

Yes, I now had the idea (also to reduce fps) to make them of tin, copper, and other (now) useless metals.
I was VERY lucky at embark with stange mood cook, that got legendary very soon, and I bought many many weapons & armor early in the game.
So I passed from leather to steel directly.
This is also a reason why I conquered a human fortress, it was very safe very early in the game, so I could slowly test YOUR workshops for the first time.

- You have tons of captured animals/invaders. Why not train the animals and kill the invaders for training?

Thanks for the idea ! I was waiting for your arena (or the magma), but I discovered it's different than how I imaginated it.

- Dont make coins. They serve no function.

it's your relic/treasure chests stuff :D

- You are still missing the dark Church, the Hall of the Mountain King and the Expedition Outfitter ;)

too hard to make components, I'm also out of silver, so I will make exploratory mining in the end.

- Your military is understaffed and half of them carry crutches. ^^

yes, they are really almost all veterans, I don't know how I made them survive until now

- It also looks like the second cavern is closed, the third cavern closed, you have no candy, and havent been to the circus yet :P

I saw them, and closed them to finish all the workshops, now i'm going down ! just after surviving a 20 bifrost siege !!! screenshots below.

- Your hospital has no soap.

damn hard to produce ! I still can't resolve that.

- Wouldnt nearly everything die of friendly-fire of your dragons?

nope. I have borrows that make all the castle livable and workable while people is inside, and water moats stops fire.
This is the bifrost giants attack, all killed except 1 that was OVER a tree. funny. killed with arrows.

- Why no quantum stockpiles, at least for the stone? Or make all stone to blocks, these at least fit into bins.

what they are !?

- You have hundrets of gems, but no bins.. its... argh... the horror. :P

I still have doubts about the behaviour of containers, I will study magmawiki thanks

But all in all, a very nice, very solid looking fortress.But runs only at 20fps because of the waterfall and the 600 creatures on the map. ^^

Yes, In this bifrost attack I finally got rid of many useless horses & animals, and flagged the rest for butcher.

Definitely thank for your tips, I will keep stu-(dying) ! And I want to keep trying this conquer-worldgen-castles thing. I like that.
Next time, a crypt maybe ? Or a crypt under a glacier? Or a glacied volcano over a crypt ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:41:15 pm by Nokao »

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: March 07, 2013, 12:54:25 am »

I actually don't bin gems either, if you put a gemcutting task on repeat the dwarfs will take the whole bin to the workshop to cut one gem, then cancel the task after the first gem because the bin is not in the stockpile, it is a vanilla problem as far as I know, I fix it by either not stockpiling gems, or making a big gem stockpile with no bins in it.

Dwarf_Eater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: March 07, 2013, 01:27:35 am »

I don't even stockpile them anymore. With possibility to make furniture out of them, it's shame not doing it ^^ Especially that it's worth pretty much, and it can be done early

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9704 on: March 07, 2013, 02:33:53 am »

Trading one bin of gems, with one dwarf carrying it, or trading 10 gems, with ten dwarves carrying it is a huge difference. Same with the prepared meals. Both, gem-encrusted things and meals are probably the highest-value tradegoods.

Quantum stockpiles: Open the manual, see tips&tricks. Just read all 25 of them, since you say you are new. ;) I know I put quantum stockpiling in there.

Explanatory mining: Press CTRL+L ingame, and you probably see a menu you have never seen before. Select the think looking like "mining", place the mining curses, and press "CTRL+P". I dare you. And I am not against digv or anything, but I played DF before dfhack came "preinstalled and opened when you open DF". ;)

Magma: Blood of Armok + Alchemist. OR just build a magmatanker and tracks from the magmafurnace up to the surface. And I dont think your magmapit was 100 zlvls down, but I did not look that closely.

What about ranged dwarves? Possibly using dynamite ammo. Or Javelinethrowers with broadhead ammo.

Coins from relics... good point. Touche. Melt them down. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 749