Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839231 times)

Purgatory

• Bay Watcher
  • Many Questions Asked
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #9255 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:04 am »

Another question: I have a tame Plaguebearer that some migrants brought to my Orc Fort, and I was wondering if it would bear plagues to my fort (even though it's tame) because the description says(paraphrase) Do not touch it. Do not attack it. Do not touch its blood. Its injured too D: should I pasture it away from everyone?
Signature Is Here.

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #9256 on: February 21, 2013, 09:15:25 am »

@arumba

i find that in order for melee fighters to be successful/survive and *not* take casualties you need at least steel armor and have a decent dodge/shield trained up... what i used to do *before collosium* :D .. was make a squad of 10 guys really early to start training.. like first year or so?.. then go into military screen and make 5 orders so they stack.. set to train 2 minimum x 5, that way you essentially break your guys up into squads of 2 but they're all part of one squad - what this will do is it will encourage sparring amongst them they'll start sparring alot!! which will raise their dodge/shield then they can survive quite easy. 

a simpler solution for defending your fort early though and this is what i usually do is make an  outside wall surrounding your stairs down or what not.. then make 4 points on it and create a route -.. make rock crossbows, quivers and rock bolts load up 10 markdorfs and set them on partrol in the order screen they'll run a little radar esque drill around your wall and bolt anything that comes close this is enough to deter sieges in most cases while you work on getting your melees trained up..

if you make it to this point *setting up your ranged* etc get a sustainable fort.. then just build a colissium idiodwarf proof it - and put your melees inside then spawn a bronze colossus - nuff said :D

i've been in your situation where i figure my infantry can handle it - however i've realized they most often cant handle it... make sure they can block and evade and they will live - otherwise they'll get shredded quite easily.  hope you found something useful here :D

Thanks for the insight.  I was playing with a few !FUN! restrictions to try and learn more about the game, like only being allowed to buy food and drink from the merchants, and only using melee troops.  I have routinely played with squads on patrol on ramparts, 20-30 of them with javelin launchers and it feels cheap. 

About the colosseum, how do you make it work?  I used it one time and the dwarf that took the job transformed or something, his body and brains were left on the ground, the level 1 unit spawned, and then the dwarf ran away to do some other job.  Is his body and brains supposed to be on the ground?  How do you get a civilian to do the job without scaring himself?  I just don't quite understand it. 

The other issue I think I'm having is that they are all level 1 in armor user, so I think they are moving terribly slow with their iron and steel armor.  That might explain why the combat log is like 80% bad stuff and only 20% good stuff.  Should I just pit some captured baddies and have a dwarf stand and get hit while wearing his armor?  Training weapon or just wrestle? 

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:14 am »

Hey Meph I think I found a bug in the reaction to make a batch of steel bars.  Every reaction I've seen sticks pretty close to the normal metal reactions, like steel = 1 pig iron 1 iron 1 flux. 

[REACTION:STEEL_MAKING_BATCH_BARS]
[NAME:batch of steel bars(6)]
[BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE_MAGMA:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[REAGENT:A:900:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:B:3:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:D:600:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[PRODUCT:100:6:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
YESSMELTING[PRODUCT:1:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:VIOLENT_REACTION]YESSMELTING[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
   !NODUST!PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SMOKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   YESSLAGPIT[PRODUCT:100:3:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SLAG:INORGANIC:SLAG]
[SKILL:SMELT]

This is just taking 6 bars of pig iron, 3 bars of flux, and turning it straight into steel.  I think it should read:

[REACTION:STEEL_MAKING_BATCH_BARS]
[NAME:batch of steel bars(6)]
[BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[BUILDING:BLAST_FURNACE_MAGMA:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[REAGENT:A:900:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:B:3:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]
[REAGENT:C:900:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:D:600:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE]
[PRODUCT:100:6:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
YESSMELTING[PRODUCT:1:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:VIOLENT_REACTION]YESSMELTING[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
   !NODUST!PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SMOKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
   YESSLAGPIT[PRODUCT:100:3:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SLAG:INORGANIC:SLAG]
[SKILL:SMELT]

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:10 am »

Another question: I have a tame Plaguebearer that some migrants brought to my Orc Fort, and I was wondering if it would bear plagues to my fort (even though it's tame) because the description says(paraphrase) Do not touch it. Do not attack it. Do not touch its blood. Its injured too D: should I pasture it away from everyone?

Yep, it's dangerous, they're intended as a biological weapon.  When it's a pet I usually put them into a 1x1 room and permanently seal the door.  (actually, these days I've been playing with Plaguebearers commented out, because I don't care for when they come with enemy sieges.  This is not as big of an issue in Dwarf mode unless you use certain Fortress Defense races though). 

In any case they won't come nearly as often as tame pets in more recent versions of Orc Fort since they now use domestics. 

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: February 21, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »

I have been wanting to play as Kobolds, I would like to know if the expedition equipper(IDK if thats the right name) is supposed to be availble for them.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: February 21, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »

Meph, how did you get wood blocks to be named planks?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #9261 on: February 21, 2013, 12:52:57 pm »

Meph, how did you get wood blocks to be named planks?

By adding [BLOCK_NAME:sing:plur] to the wood template

halox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: February 21, 2013, 02:09:34 pm »

are we unable to make magma bottles @ magma furnaces? i'm not seeing the option - if not whats the best way to get magma upstairs...? tanker?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9263 on: February 21, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »

@halox: I cant add them to the vanilla magma furnaces, all custom magma furnaces can make them. You only need a flask for it. But the Spawn Location needs to be deconstructed to release the magma. The magma in tankers can be dumped directly, but you need a rail-network to the magma then.

@Iceblaster: No, kobolds dont have the expedition stuff (yet)

@Arumba: good catch, yet again. Will be fixed. Colosseum works just like you describe it, civilians goes, loses bodyparts, some of the bodyparts get transformed into fightable monsters, civilian runs away in fear. Its a bit clutchy, but not much I can do about it.

@Purgatory: Yes, Plaguebearers should be isolated. They can kill an entire siege just as easily as an entire army, depending on your skills to handle them. Step barefoot on a pool of their blood, you die.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:22:29 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:04 pm »

Thanks, Can't wait until they do, I might-to counter it-embark with a 6x3(or 3x6, which ever one is a horizontal rectangle) near a town so I can simulate that stuff until then

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: February 21, 2013, 04:25:35 pm »

@Arumba: good catch, yet again. Will be fixed. Colosseum works just like you describe it, civilians goes, loses bodyparts, some of the bodyparts get transformed into fightable monsters, civilian runs away in fear. Its a bit clutchy, but not much I can do about it.

Have you experimented with multiple Z level structures?  What if you make it so that working location is on say level 2, and the spawned units appear on level 1? 

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: February 21, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »

Meph, what program did you use to make your manual?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9267 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »

Multiple zlvl structures cant exist. Maybe some very fancy dfhack programmer could do something about one workshop being build atop another, but I doubt it.

I used Dreamweaver for the manual, Paint/Gimp/Photoshop for some pictures and Raw Explorer for the tables.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:42 pm »

I used Dreamweaver for the manual, Paint/Gimp/Photoshop for some pictures and Raw Explorer for the tables.
I wondered if you used something for it, the html looked very generated when I was working on the Linux instructions.
I made all my adjustments by hand in a text editor (geany).

Can Raw Explorer export those tables in some way?
The screenshots you are using right now are not very nice compared to the rest of the manual.
If you can export the tables you would not need to type them out by hand to get html tables.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

poothoottoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:45 pm »

I am having a minor problem that does not affect the playability of the mod.

It loads up fine but when I try to use the default ASCII graphics it appears blurry compared to the original non-modded game
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Frankly Scarlet I don't give a yam.
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 749