Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838984 times)

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8940 on: February 03, 2013, 11:22:11 am »

You should keep it at Normal or below, unless you want to spend three minutes painstakingly killing it if it decides to freeze in a 100% CPU utilization way.

oh_no

Nice Save

• Bay Watcher
  • Suddenly:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:05 am »

Thank you very much.

And any ideas about processor priority?

On a multicore CPU DF will just take one core for itself and no more, so processor priority won't help.

Also, do underground Antmen sieges arrive in unbreached caverns? You might have loads of nasties just milling around down there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:33:58 am by Nice Save »

Mikesullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: February 03, 2013, 11:45:08 am »

Thank you very much another time :).

Why all my talented fighters and dwarf of the legions are women, whyyy xD.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:19:12 pm by Mikesullivan »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: February 03, 2013, 12:59:05 pm »

Because all of the talented fighters you've come up with are women :P

Hope none of them get married, lest they go all Nac Mac Feegle and start using their babies as weapons.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #8944 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »

Sieges will only appear in a place where there is an unobstructed path to a dwarf, if there is such a place along the map edge. So if your fort was blocked off from the map except for that one spot, then that one spot is where all sieges will arrive.

Wow, all this time and I never knew this. But you're absolutely right. Normally I keep main gates open all the time until siege or ambush but with this mod it's so dang dangerous outside the walls that I leave them closed by default. That's why they did that. Not to mention you only get one siege at a time in vanilla. In soviet dwarf fortress, game plays you!

I notice in general more than half of my really militarily talented dwarves are women. I generally make them marksdwarves and keep them really safe. I wish there was a mechanic that when a female becomes legendary in a fighting skill that they lose the desire to have children.

Moving on, I want to play with the new weapons but I'm just wondering if it's worth it. The manual is very vague. It tells what skill a weapon uses, and the amount of bars it takes to make it, but not its effectiveness. For example, would there be a reason to have my marksdwarves be javelin throwers or bola throwers instead of xbows? Is a pike or longsword worth the added metal bar cost in terms of odds to hit, damage done, etc? I have a dwarf who is a talented knife user who I don't know what to do with. In any rpg, you would never be caught dead fighting with a knife, but maybe here they are really uber, I dunno.

alonard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:01 pm »

Because all of the talented fighters you've come up with are women :P

Hope none of them get married, lest they go all Nac Mac Feegle and start using their babies as weapons.

but that's the best outcome, think about it regenerating shield. lost one? no problem, just wait a few months and you'll get another one XD

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:32 pm »

The problem is just that normal shields are indestructible to the point of blocking dragonfire.

oh_no

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »

Moving on, I want to play with the new weapons but I'm just wondering if it's worth it. The manual is very vague. It tells what skill a weapon uses, and the amount of bars it takes to make it, but not its effectiveness. For example, would there be a reason to have my marksdwarves be javelin throwers or bola throwers instead of xbows? Is a pike or longsword worth the added metal bar cost in terms of odds to hit, damage done, etc? I have a dwarf who is a talented knife user who I don't know what to do with. In any rpg, you would never be caught dead fighting with a knife, but maybe here they are really uber, I dunno.

If you ask specific questions about weapons, I'll do my best to answer.  But since you seem to want to know everything about everything, (and I mean this totally without intending to be snarky / etc.) read the weapon raws yourself.  The raws are just a giant table of data and in a format that is pretty well suitable for fast searching.  If Meph somehow spent the time to put every single thing in the manual, then the manual would become exactly the same document as the raws. 

Javelin throwers generate 15 times the force of a crossbow, with the tradeoff being that it is so large to be a 2 handed weapon for dwarves.  Javelins themselves are large enough that they do edge rather than piercing damage, so they are more likely to lop off body parts.  With the ammo caster you can make piercing, broadhead (large edge), or hammerhead (blunt) javelins to optimize the type of damage against different opponents.

Bolas use the throw skill at range and the whip skill in melee, they're an interesting weapon, but don't switch your *marksdwarves* to them, it's a totally different skill set.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: February 03, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »

If you ask specific questions about weapons, I'll do my best to answer.  But since you seem to want to know everything about everything, (and I mean this totally without intending to be snarky / etc.) read the weapon raws yourself.  The raws are just a giant table of data and in a format that is pretty well suitable for fast searching.  If Meph somehow spent the time to put every single thing in the manual, then the manual would become exactly the same document as the raws. 

Haha, no worries. I know what you mean. I'll check out these raws. There's just so much to know!

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: February 03, 2013, 04:09:08 pm »

@meph - glad to see you lurkin! =D one thing quick - for next version, what would you think about making gneiss and dolomite not use the same tile? and some of the wraith tiles differ from the normal ones - olivine, for example, seems to have blue wraith tiles. maybe i shouldn't complain ;-)
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8950 on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:22 pm »

Of course I am lurking... you never know :P I simply dont have the time to go through all of this, but other people (mostly smake and putnam) are doing their best. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

b22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: February 04, 2013, 06:04:40 am »

How do you fight the infernomancers?

p.s. I "solved" my migration problem from before, by starting a new game.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: February 04, 2013, 11:28:09 am »

Are those the guys from towers who raise Flaming zombie minions?

- lock gates wait for the fires in country size to die out
- killed Flaming zombies mostly from range, or I'm sure a trap corridor works too
- tbh i didn't even see how the mages themselves died, think they just wandered near the walls and got shot
- the zombie body parts seem to do some re-set fires periodically, but are safe to handle, so try to collect them using designate/dump and collect them somewhere safe or destroy them.  i just dumped in a murky pool.  If there's too many to collect build sections of constructed floor too wide for fire to cross at all your gates
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:50:04 am by smakemupagus »

b22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »

Run away and rain death from above, that pretty much the only thing that keeps me alive, but I hoped for some trick to take deal with those guys, to avoid them turning my lovely green countryside into a depressing ashen grey..

Btw, how wide is "too wide for fire to cross"? I wasn't paying attention to how the fire spread, but my map is divided by a river and both sides gone up in flames, so at least 4wide?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:22:33 pm by b22 »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »

I had a gentleman (gentledwarf?) migrate to my fort who on the unit list ("u") shows up as a "Geomancer". This comes after the profession name, so it's not his profession. Kind of like when you get a dwarf king vampire or something like that. I viewed his thoughts and description and nothing unusual was in it. He has been running around doing whatever I need and hasn't caused any trouble, but Therapist (I'm using the one that comes with the latest Masterwork download - the enlarged version) doesn't show him in the unit list. I restarted it a couple times but he just won't go on there. I can assign him jobs in game, just not in Therapist. From what I can tell he has just been puttering around minding his own business hauling things, and I'm loathe to involve him in an unfortunate accident because he is currently my only smith caste dwarf, and he doesn't seem harmful like a were-creature or vampire.

PS I love mastiffs. Like dogs, but they actually WORK at guarding things. Took down a beak dog siege by themselves (granted, 3/4 of the beak dogs ran away, but still it was pretty impressive). Now I have a prototype hammer golem pet. I know they are formidable, but I'm worried if he dies it will lead to tantrums. Right now he's my last line of defense, so only to be used if all else fails.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 749