Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838848 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8775 on: January 23, 2013, 10:52:56 am »

I'm having an odd issue.

I have 2 bullet turrets chained outside of my fort entrance for defense, but they seem to be ignoring monsters now and not shooting.  They're both undamaged and in perfect health, and haven't been attacked at all recently.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8776 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:50 am »

@wafflelordling: I need way more infos then that.

@michaelsoftman: Wildlife, or hostile units? They should shoot at megabeats, titans, invaders, ambushes, thieves... but leave animals alone.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

@wafflelordling: I need way more infos then that.

@michaelsoftman: Wildlife, or hostile units? They should shoot at megabeats, titans, invaders, ambushes, thieves... but leave animals alone.

Oh OK, that explains it.  There was a Gnoll on the bridge they were ignoring.

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: January 23, 2013, 12:09:20 pm »

Anyone having trouble with the Hall of the Mountain Kings? It tells me I need 8 Iron Armor .. I assumed that was Iron Armor Stands, and a quick look at the raws looks like it confirms that, but I look at my stocks and I have 8 sitting in here, freshly made. Not forbidden, made of Iron, not rusty or ironbone.

Just can't figure out what I am missing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8779 on: January 23, 2013, 12:32:45 pm »

No, you need 8 iron armor. which are breastplates, chainmals, platearmor... anything upper-body protection made of iron.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: January 23, 2013, 12:42:09 pm »

No, you need 8 iron armor. which are breastplates, chainmals, platearmor... anything upper-body protection made of iron.

I thought I had tried that first, grrrr. OK, I will give it a shot now. Thanks.

Chiasm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »

My crucible only has the efficient smelting option for bronze, not steel. As in the reaction isn't listed. I can still order it through the manager - is steel only on the magma version?

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: January 23, 2013, 02:06:00 pm »

So my current fortress attracted frost giant thieves, just as a drow caravan was rolling in. I had one pinned down inside a pond with 4 of my marksdwarves and a drow shadowsniper shooting at it. That thing took AGES to kill! I'm going to be frightened if I have to deal with a frost giant siege before I've even dug down to the caverns or gotten down to magma.

Also, I'm really liking the blast furnace at the moment. The startup is really steep if you don't have iron ore on your map, but that's the price to pay for how little micromanagement it takes and how ore-efficient its reactions are.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: January 23, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

So my current fortress attracted frost giant thieves, just as a drow caravan was rolling in. I had one pinned down inside a pond with 4 of my marksdwarves and a drow shadowsniper shooting at it. That thing took AGES to kill! I'm going to be frightened if I have to deal with a frost giant siege before I've even dug down to the caverns or gotten down to magma.

Also, I'm really liking the blast furnace at the moment. The startup is really steep if you don't have iron ore on your map, but that's the price to pay for how little micromanagement it takes and how ore-efficient its reactions are.

Really? They don't seem too hard to me. I have 6 prototype golems outside my entrance for the last 8 years, and they've held off 15+ sieges, including a frost giant (fuzzy blue yeti things ;P) ambush. Only about 20, but they fell as easily as stranglers.

Though, I've noticed the Jotun (another giant type - might be what you encountered) and 'Worldenders' (frost giants) are pretty resilient to range, from my experience. As well, range in general seems to suck due to the horrible hit chance, and if I recall, only 2(?) of 27 spots they can hit, is fatal, discounting bleeding which I don't think they do.

Yep. Blast Furnaces are great conveniences. Not unbalanced, or overpowered, simply convenient. they do what would take at least 5 smelters and I like to keep my areas tightknit and easy to navigate, so they're a god send.

Speaking of Golems, does anyone else think they're a tad op? Not the 'crafted' ones, as you need all the materials, lava, golem hearts, etc to even try to make some. I speak of the prototype golems from wagons. My wagon with a bunch (about 9 - I ordered them :P) had a accident (gotta love when they walk into a 40+ archer ambush...), so I stuck them in my gateway as I always do, and well. I still have my original 9 all alive. The only time in my last fort I saw one die, was when one of them rushed out vs 20-30 guys solo. Other wise, they've massacred everything from Jotun's, to Minotaur (not a siege/ambush - not yet), Deep Drows, Goblins of all kinds, Ferric Elves, you name it, and are still going fine... just seems a tad offbalance.

I think the main issue with them is they don't 'bleed out' (machine, so yeah :P) and basically any internal damage means squat. No organs, etc. Generally, I've NEVER seen one 'cut up' and lose an arm, or such. The only time they become 'useless' is when they are basically broken in every part, and can just push things to death, and even then, can often kill or maim :P

You can say 'well, don't use them then!' but why shouldn't I use something that is in game? if it's too strong for a normal fort, is that not an issue?

Or maybe I'm just to 'good' at DF... I know how to deal with everything too well. I mean, I'm in an undead, knockout-fever-dizzy weather biome that's a desert (no water/trees), not sure what else I can do to make it challenging without handicapping myself, or doing something nuts like opening all the caverns and the 'fun land!', then leave it unsealed into my base with an army trying to hold out... which I've done. And I held off all 4 areas and their 'fun' with just 5 web turrets, and some traps! :P

...but yes. I just think golems are a tad out of place for cost-to-power, especially as wagons often meet an unfortunate end outside of your control.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:14:57 pm by SabbyKat »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: January 23, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »

I think the main issue with them is they don't 'bleed out' (machine, so yeah :P) and basically any internal damage means squat. No organs, etc. Generally, I've NEVER seen one 'cut up' and lose an arm, or such. The only time they become 'useless' is when they are basically broken in every part, and can just push things to death, and even then, can often kill or maim :P

I love this about them as opponents in Orc mode :)  Changes the complexion of a Dwarf siege entirely if they happen to have a squad of golems, arrows are limited use and for melee you need weapons tougher than their body.

You can say 'well, don't use them then!' but why shouldn't I use something that is in game? if it's too strong for a normal fort, is that not an issue?

I dunno, I guess I've never deployed them in a squad quite that big, but I thought if you buy golems for the advertised price they're pretty fair.  ofc there's a balance issue related to dead caravans that is bigger than just golems: Lots of other stuff too is really powerful & cheap if you order tons of it and then loot it.  Steel crates, war sauropods, war dragons, drakes, platemail, enchanted arrows, blueprints, mithril, anthricite, etc.

Or maybe I'm just to 'good' at DF... I know how to deal with everything too well.

Indeed, until the AI gets better or enemies can knock down walls, I guess all veteran players create their own 'challenge mode' one way or another.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:02:35 pm by smakemupagus »

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:40 pm »

I find that Prototype Golems are a good defense against Frost Giants.

The first time I ran into a FG, I considered abandoning cause I didn't really have a military, so I gave one guy a bloodsteel scythe, and he ran around hitting the thing for about 20 minutes without killing it, and it kept causing everyone else to cancel jobs.

Now I just build tons and tons of crafts until I was able to purchase 6 prototype golems, and they murder everything that even looks at my fort.

EDIT:

Also, I seem to have another bug?  I have 5 Bifrost Bars (and 4 steel anvils) but I cannot build the Bifrost Forge.  The bars are not forbidden or anything either.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:01:08 pm by Michaelsoftman »

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: January 23, 2013, 05:22:39 pm »

Or maybe I'm just to 'good' at DF... I know how to deal with everything too well.
"Horrifying screams come from the darkness below!" :P

oh_no

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »

Really? They don't seem too hard to me. I have 6 prototype golems outside my entrance for the last 8 years, and they've held off 15+ sieges, including a frost giant (fuzzy blue yeti things ;P) ambush. Only about 20, but they fell as easily as stranglers.

Though, I've noticed the Jotun (another giant type - might be what you encountered) and 'Worldenders' (frost giants) are pretty resilient to range, from my experience. As well, range in general seems to suck due to the horrible hit chance, and if I recall, only 2(?) of 27 spots they can hit, is fatal, discounting bleeding which I don't think they do.

Speaking of Golems, does anyone else think they're a tad op? Not the 'crafted' ones, as you need all the materials, lava, golem hearts, etc to even try to make some. I speak of the prototype golems from wagons. My wagon with a bunch (about 9 - I ordered them :P) had a accident (gotta love when they walk into a 40+ archer ambush...), so I stuck them in my gateway as I always do, and well. I still have my original 9 all alive. The only time in my last fort I saw one die, was when one of them rushed out vs 20-30 guys solo. Other wise, they've massacred everything from Jotun's, to Minotaur (not a siege/ambush - not yet), Deep Drows, Goblins of all kinds, Ferric Elves, you name it, and are still going fine... just seems a tad offbalance.

In my case, I believe it was indeed just an ordinary frost giant thief. Although there was a worldender somewhere among that wave of thieves. Either way, just that one frost giant required me to destroy every single body part before it decided to die. On the other hand I got... one bifrost bar! Woohoo?

Maybe I should stop using copper bolts. I've been trying to save my iron/steel for armor and weapons that aren't ammunition (except bullets).

As for golems... yeah, they seem pretty OP. In a previous fort I had one come in with a migrant. I pastured it at the gate, and it held off a goblin ambush single-handedly, while my military was still severely underdeveloped. It was red in everything and still kept going.

Also, BUG REPORT TIME: Blood that you buy off of caravans don't appear to be usable for custom reactions, but will show as available. I'd have to test this more extensively for other reactions, but at the very least, they didn't qualify for a grand offering to Armok at the temple.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:59:52 pm by Tally »

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:11 pm »

Could someone please walk me through the steps of how to get this mod to work on a modern mac. Showing me to a video or site would be great too. Thanks.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Asva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: January 24, 2013, 05:11:07 am »

In fact automations and frost giants are not arrow immune.
They're perfectly killable by means of:
- broadhead arrow/javelin (maybe hammerhead as well)
- ballista
- catapult
Mixing brodhead, hammerhead, piercing ammunition provides universal offensive ability.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:28:29 am by Asva »
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 749