Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838638 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #8580 on: January 14, 2013, 05:33:53 pm »

White copper is equal to bronze.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »

As i said, it was just one ramp that the dwarves refused to use, one stiarcase solved it. Kind of weird though.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: January 14, 2013, 05:37:18 pm »

it also has a huge jump in value compared to its components, even a little more than brass.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8583 on: January 14, 2013, 05:41:54 pm »

Tested biome inorganics, "GOOD_HEMATITE:Unrecognized Inorganic Material Definition Token: GOOD". Cant work, because the inorganics are created long before the worldgen declares a biome to be neutral, good or evil. But good though. good/evil tags only work on interactions, creatures and plants. So, in theory I could make good and evil inorganics, by creating them in a reaction that only accepts some kind of reagent that you can only get in good or evil biomes. (and trading with a civ that has access to one)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »

arclance: I checked, the linux version you packed is updated. And the dffd linux file still says V2d, and the link in my sig has no version number...
The link in your sig pointed to dffd which is v2d for Linux therefore it led to a v2d download giving it a inherent version number.
I pointed jellsprout to the link in the first post in case he had the dffd page bookmarked or was using the link in your sig for convenience.

I usually have 90% of the fortress population do all the labor. Because only weapon and armor quality is imporant, all the rest doenst matter. And 100 dwarves doing something is a lot faster then 1 dwarf with a high skill doing it.
That's not true if you use high quality furniture to brainwash your dwarves into happiness and higher levels of grower increase the crop yield per square for farming.
It is also important when making glass megaprojects because legendary glassmakers make blocks much faster.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:08:53 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8585 on: January 14, 2013, 06:09:31 pm »

I updated the link in the sig, but jellsprout  was right. Even the mediafire version from the frontpage was slightly outdated. I had two almost identical versions on the desktop, your new update and my update, and I accidentaly uploaded mine. Which of course didnt completely worked, I didnt update the .exe, because I only replaced stuff in the subfolders. All the right content was in there, just the updated GUI was missing.

nekronuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11:21 pm »

I got kobolds to work, but orcs still can't finish embark preparations and crash on worldgen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8587 on: January 14, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

How do you get to the embark screen, if they crash at worldgen? What tileset are you using? A save would be very helpful for me, or at least a screen of the "problems" pop-up at the embark screen, showing which items are missing. (your posted errorlog has nothing to do with it, but good thinking)

Like mentioned, neither smakemupagus nor me could replicate this. But both of us only test phoebus.

Qwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »

Is there any way to restore the default Kobold language, as seen in vanilla Dwarf Fortress? I always liked how silly it is, plus the fact that it was untranslateable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8589 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »

Yes, add the UTTERANCES TAG to the creature kobold_camp.

I removed it, because they have no translations. As much as I like "Shuntrablede", having a kobold called "Shuntrablede:Shuntrablede" is not as awesome as a kobold named "Shuntrablede:Bladedescent" or whatever anything means. I could try to mimick the vanilla kobold words though, thats possible. Atm I tried to create a language that sounds... cute. With a lot of a/i, high vocals for tiny voices...

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: January 14, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »

@sabbykat: Love the long report.
So summarized, is there any way to alter what rain/cloud syndromes occur?
Yes, simply set rain to 0, and then add your own custom rains. This is how Naryars Demon mod works, or Xangis Fear the night. You remove all the demon types, add only your custom demons. (demon mod) They dont care for the number in worldgen. You remove all werebeasts and vampires, add your own ones.(fear the night) Same thing you can do with the weather. Remove all rains, add your own 3, deadly, almost deadly and little bit less deadly. You now only have these three.  Its a lot less work then 30+h of embarking.

1. I first have to check if the evil plants and mosses work underground. I know I cant make specific interactions for caverns, that does not work.
2. It affects everything that hsa opposed to life. Husks and thralls included.
3. They also kill traders and diplomats. And migrants. Its only fair that they kill invaders as well. Your custom rains could only affect dwarves however, if you want this.
4. Ok, will be balanced.
5. Cant make inorganics with good/evil tag. Would be awesome, but doesnt work. I actually never tried, and will give it a go, but 99% sure that its not a supported tag. Trees I can do. Trees that if felled spawn an undead/evil treant creature, or release poisonous gas... thats possible. The gas only in cavern 2 or 3, because otherwise traders arrive with barrels/bins made of the poisonos-gas-wood, which is a stupid AI quirk. Otherwise the mod would have those.

@deon: FPS was the first thing that came to mind ^^ But sounds like an awesome idea, depending on how good or bad I can implement it. I could also make corpses turn into groups of vermin that eat your food and bite people with special syndromes.

Note: Sorry, you want feedback - you got feedback, Sabby-rambling-style! :P

Ahhh, that's awesome to hear it's possible. Now, if I had the slightest damn clue how to do this... :P (no, not expecting you to tell me specifics!). Thanks for confirming it.

Do you think you could add in a few options to the mod sometime in the future, that would give 'pre-defined' weathers, like have say three options as you said 'nuisance, dangerous, and horrifying'? If it's simple to do, I don't think (from what I know of the gui/modding in DF) it would be that hard, and I know at least two others who have similar plights to myself with this, and I'm sure others could get use from it, too. though, perhaps it might be best to suggest this when you're tackling 'revamping' evil/good biomes...

Though, adding such an option is probably a good move eventually. Just like 'harder mining or smithing', and how you've now made the surface more... 'required' - letting us control the risk of weather and related matters is probably wise. So if we want hard farming AND extremely dangerous weather/clouds for even more sucidal challenge, it's a simple button flick, instead of trying to mod things and not break the mod in the process. :) (this is all my opinion, of course).

Edit: I saw you 'inorganic evil/good' issue, and hopefully it's stimulated some thoughts for you! Be neat to see the two types even more defined instead of just 'colorful grass and fun rain' for both. :)

1. Ugh. Gotta hate the limitations. I hope you can, it would be quite amazingly fun (even if just for theme!) to see. :) I love the new caverns and their appearances as is, but I would love to see what a darker variation could look like...

2. Woot! That was a big discussion between me and other players, how we wanted to play with the challenge of the undead, but they weren't really... 'hard' more so than just bloody annoying. try to haul that hand off to burn it? Nope, animates, your idiot dwarves freak out. Kill it, try to drag it another 10 blocks to the furnace, repeat endlessly in an annoying spiral. I had ideas to make it so special metals would 'kill-kill' the undead (per classical RPG feel), or giving them a set 'revive timer' - so a corpse/piece can only revive so many times, before it stays dead, keeping the challenge, but stopping the infinite annoyance, etc etc. But this rune concept works quite well too.

I'm actually going to do a large test fort using ONLY traps, in a normal rain, undead biome, and see how easily I can thwart undead by a few simple trap designs (since you can rune traps according to your post earlier). I think this may be a balance issue, as spear traps, weapon traps, etc, are infinite in use, and slapping together 10 copper spears/discs with runes on them all over the fort (to help in case of a break out inside) may negate the threat a touch too much... though, you could just do the same with a few military dwarves I suppose...

3. Actually, Caravan's are fine. Why? Even if they die - I still get the goods I ordered, and I've had this go on for 15 years in a fort, and never had other races 'get angry and siege me'. So really, I just gain a ton of free material (as they generally will reach my depot before having issues and start dying), and I just waltz out, and get a butt-load of free loot. ;)

Migrants arrive wearing shoes, so unless it's raining immediately (depends on the biome), a good 50-80% of migrant waves will make it in quite safely and unharmed discounting possible undead/siegers in hiding.

Sieges arrive WITHOUT shoes or helms (most races, goblins have helms, which negate rain but not what's on the ground). So my dwarves are safe if it's not raining, while the moment siegers step foot on the map, they are doomed due to no shoes even if not raining. :P I don't see why making the more 'civilized' siegers have shoes is too much issue, unless it's a modding problem. Not a major issue, but it does kind of trivialize this rain and the danger it gives.

4. I abuse this myself, but I felt it should be noted as it's too good. >.> <.< I hope others who use it don't try to lynch me now, like talking about fight club...

5. That'd be quite an awesome step :) And be a good step to 'improve' the danger of the caverns for evil biomes. And aww, no Wagons with genocide gas?! Come on, it's so FUN! Just like Magma, when it burns down your entire map and roasts 90 of your dwarves as you didn't notice the flames all over the map... which so didn't happen to me, nope. >.> Like my first day play masterwork, when 'fire skulls' still spawned everywhere, and they rushed inside my cavern-moss covered fort, and my entire surface/inside of fort turned into an inferno... *cough*

More balancing matters!

1. 'Gem' furniture and matters, are too... 'nice'. Discounting trading, Gems have little use bar fluff - so I use them for BEDS, Dressers, Tables, chairs, Doors, you name it, and I don't need to lift a finger for wood, stone, etc, which is all inferior to gems by a large margin. Only pure gold objects can best it, and I'd rather just trade that pure gold to traders myself, which further dampens the need for gems.

Further, a little... 'trick' to the above. Make/acquire a ton of crystal Glass, transmute it into 'clear diamondsx3', use clear diamonds for furniture, trading, and related materials, and watch your dwarves be 1000+ happiness. Admiring their rooms, doors, tables, legendary dinning halls, royal palace bedrooms, etc etc, and generally speaking, it's quite easy to do this. And it has 2x the value of gold, so even more bonus to the happiness feel of it all. Just embark with a bunch of cheap ash or potash or similar for the glass (or wood for a cheap-cheap alternative), use those useless cheesemakers to process the glass and work all of this on the side while you focus on main industries, and you'll have not only a beautifully uniform hall of tables/bedrooms of crystal white diamond, you'll never have happiness issues or damn near. :P

Not sure if this is 'ok' with you, or not, but thought I'd point it out. it's not per say 'easy easy' to do, but the real cost of it is just a bit of time since wood is infinite, and rock crystal is VERY common in a lot of biomes/generally useless due to its low value, so using it for crystal glass is the best move.

2. Turrets, seem to be GENERALLY quite useless. Now, let me clarify this a bit.

Bullet Turrets - The back bone of turrets, they cost (last I recall) Two? Mechanism, which is reasonable. The issue being... they're quite useless. Yes, bombarding and 'injuring' attackers IS valuable, definitely! But against pretty much all siege races (and a lot of dangerous animals) their damage is quite minimal just causing bruising, and that's about it. it does chip bones at times, but against anything with even basic leather armor on - it can't even tickle them.

My solution for Bullet turrets to make them a bit more viable, would be (if possible?) to make them fire 'bullet material' based on the case material. So if the base is copper, if I make a steel case - let it fire steel bullets which still would not per say be 'fatal', but would make it able to at least harm armored foes of lesser materials, and maybe do more damage to larger critters. I DON'T expect/want it to be a literal 'gun turret' that can shoot through things and kill them. Merely allow it so they can be upgraded (with hefty costs to create advanced types?) and upgrade as your fort evolves. When I'm sitting on 30 million value, and have minotaurs and such major races swarming me with 150-200+ siegers, these seem like a complete waste of time even with 30+ of them firing at a single target (which I've done to test out viability of swarm tactics :P).

Slade Turrets - Slade turrets confuse me. They seem to inflict shallower damage (flesh depth), but have a stronger knockback, and also seem to be less accurate by a good 30% then bullet turrets (in identical situations with an immobile target). they cost THREE clockwork pieces, and slade bars to create, yet... they seem to be worse? Against armor, they seem to penetrate a tiny bit, but the blows almost always are bruising and never 'break bones' or anything that could account for their heavier cost.

My thoughts would be (unless I'm not seeing some hidden effect, after AMAZING amounts of use - I always set my embark points to 10,000, to acquire 2-3 turrets, merely to help deter pesky animals :P), that you make Bullet Turrets more designed to... 'deal with' fleshy, poorly armored foes, delivering precise strikes but lower damage. Where Slade Towers, as it seems you want, would be more the 'anti armor' tower, designed to harm those steel-cladded goblins who just love to ambush you every 10 minutes, inflicting more seriously 'internal' damage from the blunt impacts.

The knockback of Slade, seems to be inferior. Against anything that isn't a small bird/animal, it doesn't seem to knock back anything from say, a goblin or up from my experience. Instead, I found it more valuable to use this and bullet towers in a 'death hall' with a 3 wide path with traps, and the edges with 'pitfalls' down 20 floors onto spikes, so when goblins and such 'dodge' these projectiles, they leap off to their doom. But I feel that's a bit opposite of the purpose of this turret! :P

Web turrets - Now these, THESE are amazing. Setup right, you can ensnare trap immunes, flying pests, and various uses. The costs to make it are fair (I'd argue even too little for how damn amazing they are!).

The only 'issue' I have with it, is dwarves are idiots and will run into them even when they are ON FIRE and promptly get melted. But alas, that's a hazard, and micromanaging solves it. Not a big flaw for the power it gives. :)

Acid Turrets - I've found these completely, and absolutely bloody useless. I've tried them on nearly everything, and I cannot see its effect. It's range is terribly small too, and it seems if the target has armor or a shield (no battle reports, just what i see) it gets negated entirely or just has a horrendous application rate. I can't comment too much on it, as I've TRIED to get it to do an effect - but I just can't get it to work in real-game applications. Haven't tried the arena, but i prefer in-game applications where a more realistic situation would play out. :P

Warpstone turrets - This... causes dizziness and fever, I think? Again, it seems to be blocked by armor or shields (and some siege races, quite a few, are immune entirely). For the cost of it (since you can't get warpstone, without harder mining last I checked), it really just seems inferior in every way for cost vs use.

I'll try to do a more extensive testing of of Acid/warpstone turrets in game soon, and really test them hard then drop some feedback here (if you wish it!) to help and try to see if we can find a place where they're useful, but not OP. (which is what you're trying to avoid, I'm sure :P).

Fire Turrets - These are nifty, but their range is far too short for practical implications. They quite expensive to create for amount of material, and generally seem to be 'meh' at best.

My suggestion? Either increase their range a good bit further (not sure what their max is now, I use them ONLY in tight halls, but their range seem to be 8-9 blocks). Or revamp them, and make them 'lob' projectiles that explode into flames and burn foes at impact (I think you have some things like that in game now?).

Hellfire Turrets - These things cost an arm and a damn leg to make, but are SO DAMN AWESOME!... if they actually reliably did damage. #1 ANY unit with a shield, will basically take this from a rape machine, to a total joke. A copper shield will negate it 100%, and I've not seen (hard to see though!) it hit a target with a shield, ever. Which is basically every single siege race that isn't beakwolves, or simpler siegers.

Further, the damage from it seems quite sporadic, though I assume that's a DF quirk - nothing that can be done.

Now, a really nasty trick for these to deal with shields? Mix it up with a web turret. Web 'em, the fire will then ignite the web and engulf the attackers in an inferno indirectly, shield or not ;) This is extremely effective vs 'living' races, but TOTALLY useless against automatons, undead, Demons (generally, some variations it works), etc etc.

Because of this little work around with web turrets, I think Hellfire turrets (besides the horrifying effect of friendly fire, flaming webs and dumb dwarves, etc), are just perfect the way they are. It takes a lot of coordination to build these into a setup that won't get instantly destroyed by archers, while also being effective against sieges/intruders, and they are quite fragile, so when destroyed, are a very hard hitting lose to you, especially due to the mechanism rarity.

3. Slade. If you embark with a volcano, Slade becomes the most op thing ever seen for trap-kind. Slade not only is heavy (good for blunt blows), but damn sharp too, and infinite in supply thanks to the great magma forges. Setup slade production, melt into bars, smith into spears/serrated discs, and now, you got a nearly untouchable, undefeated trap setup with a material that costs you a single block of stone to produce!

You may say 'trap immunes solve that' - not at all. Web turrets resolve the trap immune (as do dust mines, and others), as well, with intelligent setup, you can mix spears into the 'hall' of traps, which are manually controlled and WILL strike trap-immunes.

I don't know what to suggest for this, but slade seems to be too easy to abuse for traps generally speaking. It's effective, and nearly costless in value. Slap in runes now being added, and I'm terrified to even try this again, as I was wiping automaton/Minotaur/Demon sieges of 120+ out with a few lever pushes... :P

You could simply remove 'slade metal' being creatable, as if I recall, it's quite useless now. Volcanic gear needs slade BOULDERS not bars, so no danger to it, unless I'm missing something here x.x

4. Maces, hammers, etc, over-all seem to be quite useless in the Mod. In vanilla, they were quite OP, but in the mod, I've had artifact-wolfram/iridium/etc type maces, hammers, meteorhammers, and various types, and have a legendary 15+5 max possibility Legion with over 4800 strength using it on a naked foe, and basically all it did was bruise the living hell out of him. Rarely, I got a head shout that caved their head in - but half the time, it was 'outer brain' only damage and they just kept puking, and puking, and puking... and I kept bludgeoning him in the head again and again and again, and the damn thing will not die. tried this multiple times.

note: I haven't tried the above in the new versions, so it may be moot. But I haven't heard any talk about it, so I'll try to outfit some guys later and give it some testing! (Yes, I know maces are for armored foes, but the issue is finishing off ANY foe was impossible, naked or armored :P).

5. This may have been asked/played on, but I can't find anything about it. but what's the difference between say, guns and crossbows? They fire the same rate according to the guide, but is there any difference between theme? I would assume by logic, crossbows are inferior, yet I doubt that's the case. What are the differences, generally?

6. Oh, and the 'flashing shadow grass' in evil biomes? I'd advise turning that off. I tested it earlier, and vs a similar size biome/setup WITHOUT the grass flashing vs with it flashing, I saw a good 25-70 FPS drop just from that (fresh maps, 7 dwarves, no rivers, normal embarks, etc). The grass was the only variable. While neat, it seems to have a hand in nerfing FPS a good bit.

And that's enough blabbering for now, you're going to grow to hate/ignore me. :)

Since I have no idea how to create 'new weather' for the mod and google/search for the forums is proving pointless, I'm instead just going to settle somewhere randomly, and try to create a fort to show off various points of my issues, and then hand it to you to witness it first hand so we can both see on equal footing. This is gonna take a while, though...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:54:23 pm by SabbyKat »

nekronuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: January 14, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

How do you get to the embark screen, if they crash at worldgen? What tileset are you using? A save would be very helpful for me, or at least a screen of the "problems" pop-up at the embark screen, showing which items are missing. (your posted errorlog has nothing to do with it, but good thinking)

Like mentioned, neither smakemupagus nor me could replicate this. But both of us only test phoebus.

I use a pre-genned world for the embark, and that doesn't work, and attempted to gen a world.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29408524/region1.rar

^this is the world i generated while playing as kobolds. dropbox is being finnicky today

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: January 14, 2013, 07:24:05 pm »

@Sabbykat

When you mention blunt weapons being underpowered, do you mean now?  or is it possible you are talking about versions months and ago, like, 1.9.4?  Meph has done at least one major round of re balancing the weapons.

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:21 pm »

@Sabbykat

When you mention blunt weapons being underpowered, do you mean now?  or is it possible you are talking about versions months and ago, like, 1.9.4?  Meph has done at least one major round of re balancing the weapons.

As I stated, this was talking BEFORE his new spree of updates. The one we've been using for months prior, I think 1.9.5? *rubs head* I'm too tired to recall all these darn versions q.q

I was weary of adding that note, as I hadn't tested it properly yet. can you confirm if they're 'up to snuff' now?

I would just go test it myself, but alas, I'm neck-deep in trying to figure out how the heck to modify weathers, more specifically, where the file for it is even contained in Masterwork >.<
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:45:30 pm by SabbyKat »

ScottS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: January 14, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »

"4. Maces, hammers, etc, over-all seem to be quite useless in the Mod."

I noticed this too, but I don't remember what version it was.  Could easily have been <2.  I outfitted a whole squad with wolfram mauls, expecting them to bash some faces in.  No bashed faces, lots of bruises.
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 749