Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836712 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7545 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:57 pm »

Tears of Armok are just aquifers. Mine next to them and you'll get infinite water.

I found this digging the forum:

Exposed Tears do not have an aquifer, otherwise they would automatically start flooding everything. Only encased ones cause damp stones around them.

Is this true ?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 27, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »

Just a question, why play a mod if you disable nearly half of it?

What I mean is that most new buildings permit either an alternate way to produce certain items, or a way to produce multiple items in a single reaction.

Gem and rock, for example, enable you to make weapons and armors without the need of metals.
True, it might be weaker, depending on what was used, but things like rock tipped bolts are great early game ammo for example.

I guess everyone is free to play as they wish to, but it seems like a waste to disable so much without trying it first.
And if you find little to no use for it, it's not like it will lower your fps or force you to use them anyway, right?

As a side note, if you do want to use magic in the late game, do enable some fortress defense creatures, as they will provide you better enemies than the common ones (but I agree with creepers^^)
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: November 28, 2012, 12:49:21 am »

Landmine attacks. Do they hit everything, making no distinction between friendlies and enemies? Or can friendlies walk through a blaze of hellfire and shrapnel in a slow walk without injury>

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 28, 2012, 05:50:23 am »

Landmine attacks. Do they hit everything, making no distinction between friendlies and enemies? Or can friendlies walk through a blaze of hellfire and shrapnel in a slow walk without injury>
Friendlys get injured too:(

ShirraWhitefur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 28, 2012, 11:22:51 am »

Even'n folks.

Well, it's been several months since I last fiddled with the Masterwork mod.. I'd say roughly around the time 0.34.10 was the main thing out.  I'm looking at giving it a whirl again, poking all the bits of it and seeing what makes my games quite a bit more fun, after having played with Accelerated mod and being reminded of some of the simplifications and tweaks I adored.

Problem is, this has grown to be an absurdly sprawling topic, and I recall a habit of patches or warnings being posted in parts of the thread, but not the main topic.  So rather than spend hours digging through thousands of posts, I was hoping I could get some clarifications.

Is the 1.9.5 the current "most stable", and doesn't need any patches that were posted midthread?  I've already gotten the impression (possibly mistaken!) that the 2.0 alpha isn't quite ready for play.  If all it needs are a few tweaks (also likely posted mid-thread somewhere), I'd love to know!

Anywho, thanks for the time.  I've got to go plan out some fortress layouts, in hopes that maaybe they'll survive a whole two years, heh.

- Shirra

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »

Is the 1.9.5 the current "most stable", and doesn't need any patches that were posted midthread?  I've already gotten the impression (possibly mistaken!) that the 2.0 alpha isn't quite ready for play.  If all it needs are a few tweaks (also likely posted mid-thread somewhere), I'd love to know!

I'm quite new but I can answer that yes, the 2.0 alpha is still not ready (but could use some testing by experienced players like you).

About the patches, I really hope I didn't just started a new game with a package that is not ok ! ! !
I readed all the manual, all the wiki, all the guides about Masterwork that are in the package, and there are no mention on patches.

If there is something really important to do in the middle of this thread, I really hope it's already done and published in the actual 1.9.5 zip file version, because I didn't know and I couldn't possibly tell.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: November 28, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »

As far as I know, the game/mod do not need patches in order to work.

At the very least, I did not encounter any problems by playing it, but some other did, doing the exact same things (tree farming and leather to vellum).

Best way is to give it a try and see by yourself I guess.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

kaos78414

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: November 28, 2012, 07:49:33 pm »

Just a question, why play a mod if you disable nearly half of it?

It's a matter of flavor, man. I just don't personally like the idea of armor made entirely of rock and things of that nature. Besides, disabling some of the workbenches really isn't taking away "nearly half" of the mod. It still adds tons of creatures and flora, all the new hard-mode options are still on, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to share an interesting story from my latest world. It's year 127, late Winter, so almost the 3rd year of play. I've got a twelve-dwarf militia, mostly melee. I manage to fend off some centaurs, capture a few, fend off two goblin invasions, kill a few thieves etc. etc. One dwarf dead, killed by centaurs while he was trying to flee to safety.

The FUN set in when a warlock showed up. At this point it's a little hazy as to what exactly happened. All I know is he got away, and then suddenly the head of this beast we slew late in year 1 was scaring all my dwarfs. The message log was full of "So-and-so was interrupted by (beast's name - I forget what it was)'s head!" So, with the game unpaused, the message log continues to fill up with that announcement, while my dwarfs run around frantically being interrupted by a floating head, that I can only assume was the work of that dirty warlock. I can't see this head anywhere on screen, so I'm not sure what to do about this situation. My dwarfs are depriving themselves of good booze due to their fear of this ghastly head. Maybe I can't see it on screen because they're hallucinating?

After a while I decided just to abandon fort. Probably one of the weirder things that's happened to me so far, haha.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:20 am »

Warlocks are potentially the worst enemy you could face, even more with a melee army.

They basically are spall casters with either a "breath"-like spell or necromancy.

A single one of them could wipe out an early forst just by casting a fire spell and burning all the military, most of the animals, and all dwarves that happen to be caught by the fire that will burn the whole vegetation.

Anyway, for my remark, you are free to use the mod however you want, it is none of my business, really, I was just wondering about the reasons, and you indeed gave some good ones.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: November 29, 2012, 05:28:08 am »

Has anyone managed to use the magma bottle spawn and not have the dwarf deconstructing the spawn point die?

It's in MDF2 if anyone is interested.

FirestormXL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: November 29, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »

Question here, why are my dwarfs stats out of control... They are zipping around at crazy speeds and all have redic str and other stats... the hell is the point of training if your just going to give them broken stats right off...

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:08 pm »

@FIestormXL:
Wait, what?
What version are you playing exactly?

it does sound like the "speed 1" pseudo hack and the likes, but as far as I know, none of this is natively in the mod.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:37 am »

Question here, why are my dwarfs stats out of control... They are zipping around at crazy speeds and all have redic str and other stats... the hell is the point of training if your just going to give them broken stats right off...

Doesn't sound like what's happening in my game. There are some status effects in the interactions file that might be affecting your dwarves that I think you might want to rule out though.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

You forgot to say wich version you're using, 2 alpha or 1.9.5 ?
I never had this problem in 1.9.5.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: November 30, 2012, 05:59:28 am »

Also, make sure you've not set the FPS maximum to an absurd level.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 749