Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836533 times)

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7440 on: November 10, 2012, 10:56:37 pm »

Yeah, I know tree seeds are planted above ground (I love Masterwork tree farms).  But no, I can't plant tree seeds in my above ground farms in my Alpha world.  So they do work?  My site has normal climate, I have purchased seeds and also hundreds collected from a Timberyard but they don't show up on the plant list for my farms.  Guess I can try another world.

Well, I haven't played Alpha yet. The only advice I can offer is to check if the surface has soil. If it does not, then you'll have to irrigate a surface farm, which may take more work than irrigating a normal underground farm.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: November 10, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »

Tree seeds are planted aboveground.

Also, one of my starting dwarves in my latest fortress turned out to be a warlock spy. I didn't even know that was possible! Fortunately, he died pretty easily, but not before murdering my marksdwarf in training (who managed to lodge a couple bolts in his ass, literally), and injuring my metalsmith.

:o How did you find that out?

Both his left and right buttocks were wounded, and going into the spy's inventory screen (before his death) showed that he had a bolt stuck in one of them.

Interesting, funny, and thanks, but I was asking about how you found out he was a spy.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: November 10, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »

Tree seeds are planted aboveground.

Also, one of my starting dwarves in my latest fortress turned out to be a warlock spy. I didn't even know that was possible! Fortunately, he died pretty easily, but not before murdering my marksdwarf in training (who managed to lodge a couple bolts in his ass, literally), and injuring my metalsmith.

:o How did you find that out?

Both his left and right buttocks were wounded, and going into the spy's inventory screen (before his death) showed that he had a bolt stuck in one of them.

Interesting, funny, and thanks, but I was asking about how you found out he was a spy.

Oh. For some reason or another, he was revealed to me, presumably by attacking one of my dwarves or being discovered (and hence attacked) by that dwarf. The game made an announcement and everything: "Muthkat Abanatham, Mason has transformed into a warlock spy!"

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: November 12, 2012, 12:15:06 pm »

My miners mined a treasure and it's been identified and restored at the Archaeologist building as a Defense Tome.  What do I need to do to get my dwarves to read it?

EDIT:  And what can you do with a Metal of Armok?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:37:29 pm by JosephWongKS »

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: November 12, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »

My miners mined a treasure and it's been identified and restored at the Archaeologist building as a Defense Tome.  What do I need to do to get my dwarves to read it?

EDIT:  And what can you do with a Metal of Armok?
I'm new to this, but I'm pretty sure you read combat-related tomes at a "Library of Warfare", labeled as a workshop. For metal of Armok I think you can make Tears of Armok into water at a transmutation place so maybe you can turn Metal of Armok into metal...? I really have no idea. Also, can someone please tell me how to read a tome of life?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:33:29 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: November 12, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »

I have a in-game question to ask. Not sure if this is considered a spoiler or not, so il put it in a spoiler in case.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as I know, they are essentially like the armory blueprint and such, you need them to build the actual workshop that will do what you need.
If that didn't change anyway.

Else, if it changed into being a book, you might still need a library of some sort.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: November 12, 2012, 07:41:30 pm »

I have a in-game question to ask. Not sure if this is considered a spoiler or not, so il put it in a spoiler in case.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as I know, they are essentially like the armory blueprint and such, you need them to build the actual workshop that will do what you need.
If that didn't change anyway.

Else, if it changed into being a book, you might still need a library of some sort.
Never mind, problem solved. Needed a magma temple of armok.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: November 12, 2012, 09:05:55 pm »

All of this seems great ... just when I tought I was ok with my first fortress.

But I have a question, can I import a save from a lazy-newb pack ?

p.s. NOW (after seeing at your extra feats) I understand why mine is a lazy newb pack

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

Savegames don't work well with mods, because they have their own RAWs. You need to start a new game to get the features from this modpack.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

brokenbreeches

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35:27 pm »

Hi all,

Recently installed this. Unfortunately, my resolution of DF2 Masterwork is really off (my screen seems to be shifted to the top left) for some reason... and I have no idea how to change this, or at least make it windowed mode.

I run Windows 7, 64-bit on 1920 x 1200 if that helps..

Can anyone assist?

Cheers.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:57 am »

The graphical settings are in the init files. Namely /data/init/init.txt. Change the resolution there and set it to windowed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: November 13, 2012, 03:49:26 am »

Alrighty! I've finally had the time (rather, effort :P) to get an account here and ask a few questions about MW.

#1 is there anyway to fix flying sieges? I often have a group arrive flying on little birds, or similar, and 99% of the time the idiot leader flies up over another unit, who tries to fly, they get 'stuck', and they just... sit there the entire time. Quite aggravating when I'm doing a 'no soldiers allowed' challenge, and I can't get them to my 'hall of fun'! :P

#2 Is building destroyers ability to destroy buildings tied into temperature? Fairly sure yes, but having trouble confirming it. I disabled temperatures to test fps gain (holy crap! I jumped 100-150 fps from turning temps off X.X!), but noticed Wyverns, Frost Ogres, etc, won't break buildings - but will stay there infinitely and try. Even when their siege ends, frost giants won't leave and sit there in a pile trying to break meh poor door down.

#3 Uhm... are human's broken? I've heard people talking about traders and diplomats and how they come in rose gold armor and all this, yet... I've played MW for... a year and a bit now? and I've never once seen them, diplomat, wagons, sieges, notta. Not a single trace - bar a random as hell prompt where a 'forgotten beast red text' display pops up declaring a human (name) has arrived, threatening me about their power... then he runs off the map. x.X? Yes, human's exist - I confirmed with a test world which had FIFTY human civilizations alive! Yet after 25 years in a fort, every summer, not a peep. Elves arrived, Drows Arrived, Dwarves Arrived, etc, just not humans... and I've tried at least 4 versions (fresh installs) and same results, yet I've checked a good 100 pages of the thread and can't find a trace about this? (Search also is useless from my experience :P).

#4 Rifles or similar weapons that are created, two questions. First off - what 'weapon' skill do they train for melee? I assume blunt (mace or such), yet if they have bayonets...? (yes, I could try this - but i just got hit by a bug that wiped out my 20 year old fort >.>...........). Secondly, where is 'ammo' carried? a bag? Quiver? Something else? I couldn't find relevant info on where they keep ammo (nor could I see ammo I made, on the ammo screen for military?).

#5 Is there a way to fix the buggy creatures when you abandon and reclaim? I had to abandon recently due to frost giants piling my doors and couldn't break them, which caused a fun spiral of chaos, where their 'siege' tag fell off, and three more sieges arrived, and stuck around for some reason and lost their tag, so I had about... 700? creatures on my map... -.-;

Yet after I reclaim, they all continue to exist - but are tagged friendly, and spread randomly around the map and do nothing but stand there. It's quite... frustrating when you got them everywhere. I tried dfhack 'makeown' to move them, but instead they turn hostile-friendly - attacking you, but you can't fight back! >.<

#6 (Yeesh, I got a lot of problems/questions), why is it that bullet/slade turrets cost 3 mechanisms that are quite valuable, when hellfire or similar is 1 (or 2). Bullet/slade relatively speaking, are not dangerous. Hellfire can incinerate an entire siege in 1 blast? Speaking of that, I've heard sporadic info that making a say, bullet turret from an iron case, would make it fire iron bullets, and cause much more deadly harm. Is that true? (I've not had the chance to test this).

#7 What exactly does putting a 'rune' on a weapon do? Can't find anything about this... also, there' a 5% of a 'living weapon' or similar. I assume that's VERY bad? (an iridium Zweinhelder(?), coming alive... ._.;).

#8 What creatures drop bi-frost? if it's 'rim giants' - I have not ONCE seen bifrost drop from any of their variations, ever. Temperature on and off, across dozens of forts. Killed hundreds of them - never seen a single block of bi-frost drop even once x.x?

#9 Has anyone met the siege races Furie, Orc, Werewolves, Serpentmen, Badgermen, Pandashi, Minotaur, Jotun (I wonder if this the bi-frost droppers?), or spider fiends? I've played at leastttt 500 years in fort in the latest version, and tons more before it across 3-4 versions, and NEVER met these creatures even once - with MILLIONS in value in my fort (talking some over 500,000,000 value at least).

Also yes, all the above races do exist. I see 3-8 civilizations of those races in the world.

Any answers would be appreciated!

And now, to be nice - some tips I've found for various aspects of MW and the game, that are quite helpful!

- Make your cabinets, chests, tables, etc, from gems you don't want to trade - especially valuable ones. This makes dwarves VERY happy (my entire fort was something silly like 250+ happiness from just this in their bedrooms/dinning hall/etc).

- Slade, is actually a very viable, cheap, and deadly metal to use for weapon traps. Make a bunch of great magma forges, smelt slade. Grind and make it into bars at a magma arc furnace (preferably), smith it into serrated discs/spikes/etc, and they're stronger then steel! All you need is blocks, which you can make in abundance at brick-furnaces (b-e-v). All it costs you is patience and some rock. ;) (note: don't do this for weapons/armor - I warned you :P).

- if you don't mind cheating a little (relatively speaking) embark with 10000 points, and take a TON of crystal glass (150-300), mine up some gold, use transmutation chambers and forge clear diamondsx3. Now, squeal madly as you just turned your 30 point investment, into a heck of a lot more! (60 each, so 180 value not discounting the gold cost of 1 bar) ;) This makes wonderful beds, tables, you name it... hehe. You can also do it legit with pearlash and rock crystal which is total junk alone! :)

- Add a single iridium disc to 'weapon traps' if you're having trouble cracking armored units. my exp is that disc will hit that armor and slice through them like a knife in butter - and as it only costs a single disc per trap, it can be viable and useful!

- Drakes, are surprisingly deadly as guard animals. From my exp, they out perform Mastiffs in iron easily, and they're cheap - and fast reproducing. Definitely surprised me when 1 drake chased down 60 stranglers, and killed 12+ of them solo. Just keep a animal armory nearby their guard, stick them in it after being hurt, heal them, and whalla! Very effective, cheap guard animals ;)

As well, I've tested many animals that can be steel-cladded.

Grizzly's are strong durability, but aren't very good for killing.

Raptors are fragile, but good offensively.

Mastiff's and dogs are... just ok. Not worth it imo, drakes do better.

Sauropods while hilarious in steel, die fairly easy, and are VERY inaccurate with attacks. Still fun to grab a few though.

Horses, well... are useless as they flee.

Now the real gems? Elephants. GIANT Elephants. Elves sometimes have these behemoths, and let's just say the hilarity... Steel cladded, ill tempered, freakin' goliath's. Yes, their reproducing is horribly slow - but I've had 5 giant, steel cladded elephants absolutely OBLITERATE sieges (of the lesser types) single handedly. They are amazing guard animals, if you can get your hand on the giant versions!

And that's that! Sorry for the huge post - had a lot to ask/talk about, and thought I'd toss some tips for fellow players out (that I've found myself, I could be wrong!)

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: November 13, 2012, 10:14:26 am »

1) The only fix I have had for flying seiges is to removing the [FLIER] tag from all of the seige cretures in the raws. I have not done that in a while but I thinkit is safe to do after world gen.

7) Runed weapons have a "special" attack that occasionaly goes off for extra damage.

8 ) I've had Frost Giants drop bi-frostin my game. There are frost giants and Fortress Defense Giants so you may have the wrong ones showing up.

9) I've had orcs, badgermen, pandashi, jotun, and I think spider fiends. MW does not seem as reliable for getting all of the seiges in one fort as FD does. I belive short world gen tends to help as none of them races get killed off during world gen then.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:30:42 am by tj333 »

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: November 13, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »

oh guys ... your tempting me to start again from zero with MW :D
why did I use newb pack BTW !?

I'll think about it, then I'll post something in the forums about this.
Lazy newb pack AND masterwork MUST be notified in the wiki AND in the official game homepage,
because the "game as it is" for me is un-playable, but it gets great with patches, fixes, and graphical alternatives.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: November 13, 2012, 01:10:43 pm »

also: the 2 alfa package is missing some files ?

Do I have to unzip it WITH the 1.9.5. package ?

After world generation, wich options can be turned on without really losing the effects ?
for example, can I activate extra buildings, casts and mages after a while I started ?
and beasts and megabeasts will exist after a world generation that did not include them ?
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 749