Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836129 times)

Gopherboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7275 on: October 22, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »

My dwarves refuse to store fungiwood logs anywhere and there's like 150 cluttering up my timberyards.  What do?

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 22, 2012, 10:10:10 pm »

Sorry to say, but: False. Tilesets dont use more CPU. The entire mod is actually faster then the unmodded game. And for specifically this, I did write this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0

But really, MasterworkDF has higher FPS then the unmodded game.
I call bullshit. Do you have a Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 768 MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9250 256MB and the same damn problem with any graphical tileset in any mod? I tried your mod several months ago and I couldn't even get through worldgen because it was taking five minutes just to go through a year or so from the get-go. I don't think it was the raws as this problem only presents itself when I try to engage in some kind of graphical mode with Dwarf Fortress.

No hard feelings though. I'll try your other mod that supposedly increases the FPS of vanilla mode, though I hope I won't be disappointed like how I was with Masterwork.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:20:16 pm by dei »

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:12 pm »

Sorry to say, but: False. Tilesets dont use more CPU. The entire mod is actually faster then the unmodded game. And for specifically this, I did write this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=117954.0

I'm not a fucking liar. This was slower on my piece of shit computer than DF Vanilla. Anything that uses a tileset is. I'm using a Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 768 MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB.

And it's not just your mod that is unplayable - any mod that uses a tileset is unplayable on my computer. Don't call me a fucking liar.

Swapping the tile set shouldn't cause any differences in performance at all.. If it is you might want to check out this info from the dwarf fortress wiki.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Make sure you have sprites OFF (set masterwork to ascii, then try swapping in tile sets manually)

Masterwork should run faster for you if you duplicate the graphics settings in vanilla that are giving you the best performance currently.

These is no reason to swear anyone out. Let get to the bottom of the issue and help everyone out, eh?

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 22, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

I'm not a fucking liar. This was slower on my piece of shit computer than DF Vanilla. Anything that uses a tileset is. I'm using a Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 768 MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB.

And it's not just your mod that is unplayable - any mod that uses a tileset is unplayable on my computer. Don't call me a fucking liar.

Swapping the tile set shouldn't cause any differences in performance at all.. If it is you might want to check out this info from the dwarf fortress wiki.

Make sure you have sprites OFF (set masterwork to ascii, then try swapping in tile sets manually)

Masterwork should run faster for you if you duplicate the graphics settings in vanilla that are giving you the best performance currently.

These is no reason to swear anyone out. Let get to the bottom of the issue and help everyone out, eh?
Sorry, I'm a little testy right now. Someone from these forums is stalking me.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:04 pm »

I can attest to Masterwork (both 1.9.5 and Alpha2) being faster for me than vanilla DF.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 23, 2012, 12:11:13 am »

I remember trying to play this once and I couldn't do anything because the tileset was eating up all of my resources.

I doubt a tileset would be the problem here. DF isn't actually ascii (as in, it's not text), the default graphics are just a tileset whose graphics are modelled on the ascii characters. So every tileset uses practically the same resources.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7281 on: October 23, 2012, 03:02:37 am »

Thanks @ josephWongKS and Thanks @falcone, that would have been the next thing I'd mention ^^

Someone from these forums is stalking me.
Wow... but, hey, it isnt me ;) Point is: I did program and run this mod from a netbook, with nowhere near the power your PC has. Granted, the FPS was horrible (60 first year, ~30 second and onwards) but even I didnt need 5 mins for worldgen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:09 am »

I have just tried to create a golem. I have a steel long sword and a steel golem cast. Meph I took your advice and placed a squad of dwarfs on the workshop (golem forge?) and have yielded no results. It is still the same I only get a flash of blinding light and my dwarf comes out the same. I put it on repeat and my dwarf working the golem forge became an apostle of armok. What should I do to get golems?
The golem forge does work for me but it doesn't have a 100% success rate so you may need to try a few times, the weapon will be consumed but the cast is not so it's not too bad. You might need temperature turned on if you don't already, otherwise...just set it on repeat until it works. If your dwarf has skilled up strand extraction then he must at least be trying to do the reaction.

There is a post about the fish farm every couple of pages so I think if you go back or search the thread you should see how to correct the file.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 23, 2012, 07:55:35 am »

I can attest to Masterwork (both 1.9.5 and Alpha2) being faster for me than vanilla DF.
I remember trying to play this once and I couldn't do anything because the tileset was eating up all of my resources.

I doubt a tileset would be the problem here. DF isn't actually ascii (as in, it's not text), the default graphics are just a tileset whose graphics are modelled on the ascii characters. So every tileset uses practically the same resources.

I don't know how to demonstrate the problem, but I can tell you now that no matter what if I use a non-ASCII tileset I have that problem regardless of what I do. I am on an old computer that predates Dwarf Fortress and can barely play vanilla mode. I'm not answering another reply regarding this because apparently people won't believe what I am saying unless I post evidence, and I am unable to do so.

Thanks @ josephWongKS and Thanks @falcone, that would have been the next thing I'd mention ^^

Someone from these forums is stalking me.
Wow... but, hey, it isnt me ;) Point is: I did program and run this mod from a netbook, with nowhere near the power your PC has. Granted, the FPS was horrible (60 first year, ~30 second and onwards) but even I didnt need 5 mins for worldgen.

It was five minutes for the first ten years in worldgen with your mod. And listen, I'm sorry for my behavior in your thread. It's been a rough couple of days with the crap starting up again online and some offline stuff as well in regards to abusive roommates. I shouldn't have taken it out on you, and I apologize for doing so.

I do that already and I still am unable to use graphical tilesets. But, you're probably right. I forgot to just simply copy the damn raws into a folder that had already had it's init configured properly. I'm unable to use Stonesense or any of those other fancy programs that people forcibly bundle with their mods either because again, old computer that performs worse with Dwarf Fortress than Meph's netbook despite it's ability to play games with XBOX-quality graphics under the right circumstances.

Dwarf Fortress just acts weird on my machine. I am unable to even get some of the init options working in regards to gameplay itself for some reason. I should probably make a thread about that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:36:26 am by dei »

sharix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 23, 2012, 05:12:22 pm »

Bug report I guess
Code: [Select]
python3 /Users/sharix/Desktop/MDF2/MasterworkDF\ Settings.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/sharix/Desktop/MDF2/MasterworkDF Settings.py", line 21, in <module>
    for row in f:
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.3.0/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/codecs.py", line 300, in decode
    (result, consumed) = self._buffer_decode(data, self.errors, final)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x96 in position 2876: invalid start byte
Python 3.3.0 on OS X 10.8.2

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 23, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »

I don't know how to demonstrate the problem, but I can tell you now that no matter what if I use a non-ASCII tileset I have that problem regardless of what I do. I am on an old computer that predates Dwarf Fortress and can barely play vanilla mode. I'm not answering another reply regarding this because apparently people won't believe what I am saying unless I post evidence, and I am unable to do so.

I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist, I'm saying that the root cause is unlikely to be the tileset itself. But unfortunately it's probably going to be hard to narrow down what's wrong on your setup.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7286 on: October 23, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »

Well, if you do have this problem with any tileset, even in an unmodded DF I'd say that this is not the right thread... but hey, apology accepted. No worries.

@sharix: Is noted, but I do guess that arclance already fixed that. The alpha is rather old when it comes to the progress on the GUI. Lots of work has been done on it in the meantime :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morticeq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 23, 2012, 07:38:26 pm »

Release something god dammit. I'm starting to see everzthing around me in a weird DF way and my addiction to your mod is giving me some bad time now. It's like you're giving free meth on the street and keep telling people that you're gonna give them blue meth. But just waaaait, waaait, waaait a little tiny bit longer, no actually wait another month.

No, but seriously dude, I can't thank you enough for making this mod and if it's possible, release something like beta. Please? :P

cobaltness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: October 23, 2012, 07:49:58 pm »

Thank you so much Torgan I will be sure to try what you wrote, but I have a world that I'm playing on I was wondering if I could turn temperature on from the settings menu.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:54 am »

What's the conversion rate for Silver -> Mithril and Mithril -> Patternwelded Mithril at the Mithril Forge?  I tried reading the raws but wasn't quite able to decipher the figures there.
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 749