Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835840 times)

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7110 on: October 03, 2012, 05:41:28 am »

You can butcher horses or other furred animals to obtain it, then use the "Spin" order in the farmers workshop to get it.

I tried this, but it just gets me "horse hair" and then "hair thread", which doesn't seem to meet the dwarf's requirements.

EDIT:  Double-checked the DF Wiki, and it says I need to shear a sheep to get "wool", which can then be spun into "yarn" at a farmer's workshop.  This suggests that the wool thread and wool cloth I've been buying are not "yarn".  I have one remaining lamb in my pasture (having already butchered its parents in a mass slaughtering campaign to increase FPS), and I'm in late spring which means the elf merchant will be coming by soon.  Fingers crossed, either the lamb will grow to maturity before the dwarf hits the time limit for his mood, or the elves will bring along some adult sheep for shearing.

EDIT2:  YES the lamb just became an ewe!  Now I can get the lamb sheared for its wool and spin the wool into yarn to give to the dwarf so he can make his artifact armor and avoid dying on me.  This game truly is the most amazing thing.

EDIT3:  Shearing the ewe gave me "ewe hair", not wool.  Hmm.

EDIT4:  Aaaand spinning the ewe hair produced more hair thread, not yarn.  Is there any way, any way at all, to produce "yarn" in this game?  I don't want my dwarf to die right when he is about to produce an artifact armor.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Using the "job" function in DFHack reveals the following materials required for the mood:

Is there any way to change the material for Item 7 into silk or plant fibre?  The "job item-material" function doesn't work because it's a "flag" rather than of "material", apparently.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: October 03, 2012, 05:44:29 am »

I was curious if anyone had any advice for how to accumulate seeds in 1.9.5?  In my current fort, I'm having to import seeds in order to keep my fields half-way planted (the fields in question are two 9*7 fields, no fertilizer used, with the fields being worked by low-skilled farmers - none has above grower 6),  all the pig tails, plump helmets and cave wheats are going to the stills to become alcohol, and I've forbidden the seeds from being cooked.

And I am sure someone has already thought of this before, but I thought I'd ask in case they hadn't: The discussion on the reactions that fill buckets earlier made me wonder if with the new cart-emptying code that is being used to generate magma, well, it can be used to generate depths of water as well - are the bucket-filling reactions being changed to reactions that create depths of water?  If not, it might be a good idea, given how the buckets of water the reactions make are buggy.

Also, I wanted to say that I am really becoming a convert to the religious buildings (pun intended) the Alter of Armok is a brilliant de-cluttering mechanism.

fasquardon

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:41 am »

I was curious if anyone had any advice for how to accumulate seeds in 1.9.5?  In my current fort, I'm having to import seeds in order to keep my fields half-way planted (the fields in question are two 9*7 fields, no fertilizer used, with the fields being worked by low-skilled farmers - none has above grower 6),  all the pig tails, plump helmets and cave wheats are going to the stills to become alcohol, and I've forbidden the seeds from being cooked.
Not sure what your problem would be other than the fact you are using massive fields, I usually just have a 4x4 or 5x5 plot for each food plant and that keeps me happy. I usually have a seeds only stockpile right next to the fields to cut down on travel time while planting. Maybe use fewer higher skilled farmers and set only farmers harvest so you get bigger stacks of plants, and check your stock screen to make sure you don't have piles of unprocessed plants in your stockpiles? If so just brew, mill or process them to get the seeds out. And make sure none of the plants are being used to make meals at the kitchen, seeds are always automatically off for cooking anyway.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:08 am »

Posted this question earlier but I guess it got lost in my second question on my armor savant's mood.

"What labours do you need to enable on your dwarf to get him to pen an essay in the scriptorium?  I already have the necessary ink and vellum."

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: October 03, 2012, 07:05:36 am »

I think that would be strand extraction.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: October 03, 2012, 10:07:58 am »

Not sure what your problem would be other than the fact you are using massive fields, I usually just have a 4x4 or 5x5 plot for each food plant and that keeps me happy. I usually have a seeds only stockpile right next to the fields to cut down on travel time while planting. Maybe use fewer higher skilled farmers and set only farmers harvest so you get bigger stacks of plants, and check your stock screen to make sure you don't have piles of unprocessed plants in your stockpiles? If so just brew, mill or process them to get the seeds out. And make sure none of the plants are being used to make meals at the kitchen, seeds are always automatically off for cooking anyway.

Thankye for the reply.

I did wonder if the large field size was making the process inefficient (in more than just a pathing-inefficient way).

My seeds are also right next to the fields.  I don't see any piles of unprocessed plants just now.  Will keep an eye on this over the course of a few seasons though.  And all plants are also disabled for cooking. 

Speaking of plant processing, has anyone else had trouble processing quarry bushes?  I haven't been able to process them in any of my forts.  Has Masterwork changed how you need to handle them?

fasquardon

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: October 03, 2012, 11:36:15 am »

And I am sure someone has already thought of this before, but I thought I'd ask in case they hadn't: The discussion on the reactions that fill buckets earlier made me wonder if with the new cart-emptying code that is being used to generate magma, well, it can be used to generate depths of water as well - are the bucket-filling reactions being changed to reactions that create depths of water?  If not, it might be a good idea, given how the buckets of water the reactions make are buggy.

Yes, Orc Fortress has this feature (link in my sig), feel free to grab it from
reaction_orcfort_fluid
building_orcfort_fluid
item_orcfort

if you want to use it for Dwarves you'll just have to modify the Building so that it doesn't require a blueprint.
I think Meph plans to implement a version of it in MDF2.

@quarry bushes, I've been using them OK.  You are processing to bag, right? 

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: October 03, 2012, 04:24:57 pm »

How is the DF2 alpha coming up? Any closer to a release candidate?
I'm eager to try it out but will get it only after it gets a gui without python or a textfile that can be used to alter the settings (yes, i am a lazy bastard)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: October 04, 2012, 05:45:43 am »

Which items are "ink-containing items"?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: October 04, 2012, 05:53:50 am »

You can't go wrong with stone jugs.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: October 04, 2012, 07:13:37 am »

You can't go wrong with stone jugs.

Thanks!

EDIT:  Oh, and I also need a "tool" to write an essay.  What would that be?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: October 04, 2012, 07:52:46 am »

Beats me, the new library system is not exactly polished. I succeeded with the following:

-tan some leather (maybe not even needed anymore?)
-press paper from some logs at the screw press
-bind a book
-make ink from ash/blood/unicorn piss (needs jug)
-write essay

I don't know the quantities used, somebody might have more exact science than mine.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: October 04, 2012, 12:32:27 pm »

I think that would be strand extraction.
According to the building guide picture teaching is needed to use all the scriptorium jobs. (Assuming we're not talking about the alpha again!)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »

meph - am building an awesome 1.9.5 fortress, and just fended off a pretty serious wave of automaton and frost giant attacks! am digging down to magma now, and building pump stack components like mad. i'm trying to avoid doing anything too gamey, but a few things have come to mind as i've been gleefully plowing through this:

- hunting doesn't seem to work very well with the wide range of projectile weapons on offer. as long as i stick to crossbows and bolts, everything's fine, but i gave up trying to get my hunters to use rifles. has anyone else gotten it working?

- i note that wicker does not seem to be generic! no biggie, but it does seem a bit out of character considering the wonderful generic-ness of the other materials. i love wicker - it means i need a hell of a lot less wood because i can rely on wicker bins, which are better anyway.

- given the several admittedly minor bugs and their fixes mentioned in the thread here since the release of 1.9.5, would it be too much trouble to compile them into a quick 1.9.6 release? i've done that for myself, with my own minor modifications included, but i would be happy to try to compile a baseline release incorporating them as best i can. i'd have some questions, of course, but most of the fixes have already come up on this thread, so it doesn't seem incredibly difficult...!

- there are a bunch of binary fixes mentioned on the bugtracker (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/tag_view_page.php?tag_id=872), most of them noted by quietust, and i've gone through and added them to my executable. i haven't started a new game since i did so, but i definitely haven't seen any instability from having implemented those fixes! this also seems like the sort of thing that could make it into a 1.9.6, no?

- also, i've gone through and fixed a bunch of the sprites. many of them still had black or pink backgrounds, and while i'm not completely sure what all sprites are in use, i was pretty systematic about trying to go through and clean them up. i just added a plain dark brown background, but if you thought it was a constructive thing to do, i'd figure out how to do apply the phoebus mask pattern to them all. he clearly put some thought into it - it shows. or rather, it doesn't show - it blends right into the background...! =)

- finally, are you planning on waiting for the next mainline DF release to really get crankin' on MWDF2? i ask because i haven't seen the usual fantastic buzz of activity around here, but that might be the result of the fact that you still don't have DSL yet or something =D regardless, i hope all's well on your end - this remains the best mod for DF out there, and i wouldn't mind trying to help make it better. incidentally, i know my way around python, and the raws don't scare me in the slightest. let me know if there's something i can do.

absolutely all the best man -
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: October 05, 2012, 12:28:16 am »

@sayke

if you didn't notice it. this thread is where most of the mdf2 buzz is at, in addition to PM's. Meph hasn't been seen much, but his internet should be fixed soon. Yes MDF2 is actively being worked on.
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 749