Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835894 times)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7050 on: September 29, 2012, 11:58:11 am »

Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:51 pm »

How do i get rid of course iron? I found old info that i should use a finishing forge but apparently that is removed? Im clueless here. How is coarse iron compared to normal iron and why is it built into the mod? Also what metal is the best before candy? What should i make my armour out of? It adds so many metals that damn im clueless what i should use

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: September 29, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »

What version are you playing? If you are 1.9.5 you need a crucible to refine coarse iron, if you are playing MDF2 then coarse iron shouldn't be there at all.

As for metals, you can't go wrong with steel as usual, mithril is better if you have a decent supply, welded mithril is even better but requires steel to make as well, next up is volcanic, which is very heavy, you could also make sladeamantine if you have the resources.
Again, those are all for 1.9.5 for MDF2 steel and mithril are fairly close in terms of quality, with volcanic being tougher but heavier, sladeamantine doesn't exist I think.

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

What version are you playing? If you are 1.9.5 you need a crucible to refine coarse iron, if you are playing MDF2 then coarse iron shouldn't be there at all.

As for metals, you can't go wrong with steel as usual, mithril is better if you have a decent supply, welded mithril is even better but requires steel to make as well, next up is volcanic, which is very heavy, you could also make sladeamantine if you have the resources.
Again, those are all for 1.9.5 for MDF2 steel and mithril are fairly close in terms of quality, with volcanic being tougher but heavier, sladeamantine doesn't exist I think.

Thanks for the quick reply. But what is MDF2?

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »

Masterwork DF 2, it's in the alpha stage right now, the thread title mentions it, as does the OP.

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: September 29, 2012, 05:44:41 pm »

Masterwork DF 2, it's in the alpha stage right now, the thread title mentions it, as does the OP.
Ahh right i did hear about it but i tought its only avaible to some people. What are the main differences?

EDIT:

I just downloaded it and how can i change what i want in the game like i can with the current masterworks? I found something called masterworks df settings but how do i open that?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:09:09 pm by atazs »

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: September 29, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »

Ahh right i did hear about it but i tought its only avaible to some people. What are the main differences?

EDIT:

I just downloaded it and how can i change what i want in the game like i can with the current masterworks? I found something called masterworks df settings but how do i open that?

@ everyone MDF2 is Alpha, that me pre-release and not finished. This means unless you want to help fix things that are broken (and yes! there is allot still broken) You should still use MDF 1.9.5.

To use the new settings program during the ALPHA, you will need PyQt4 http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download and Python3 http://www.python.org/getit/ installed

YES you NEED versions 4 and 3!  no others will work.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:31 pm »

EDIT:

@ everyone MDF2 is Alpha, that me pre-release and not finished. This means unless you want to help fix things that are broken (and yes! there is allot still broken) You should still use MDF 1.9.5.

To use the new settings program during the ALPHA, you will need PyQt4 http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download and Python3 http://www.python.org/getit/ installed

YES you NEED versions 4 and 3!  no others will work.
The one in the current archive does not need PyQt4 since it is Roses original Tk GUI.
The next archive should contain some version of the new QT GUI and will need PyQt4 if we don't make executables for it.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: September 29, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »

The updated versions you have been posting in teamspeak and any future version we post in this thread will require pyqt4, until we bundle it.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

How do i get rid of course iron? I found old info that i should use a finishing forge but apparently that is removed? Im clueless here. How is coarse iron compared to normal iron and why is it built into the mod? Also what metal is the best before candy? What should i make my armour out of? It adds so many metals that damn im clueless what i should use

A more in-depth answer:

1.9.X:
Copper, silver, bronze: Nothing changed, vanilla metals.
Iron: When you smelt the ore, you get coarse iron. You can use the crucible to make iron from that. You can cold hammer it in the crucible if you don't have fuel. Very ineffective, you waste a lot of ore this way, but could be useful if you have no coal and no trees to burn.
Steel: Maybe nothing changed, though it seems a bit more powerful. Maybe everything else is weaker somewhat?
Cobalt: Should be about the same level as iron. Needs the arc furnace and bags to grind to powder first, then smelted into bars in the same building.
Wolfram: Heavy metal, good for blunt weapons. Same arc furnace process.
Mithril: A good bit better than steel for edged weapons, but it is light, so not good for blunt. Awesome for armor. Same arc furnace process. It's good stuff, but you won1t find veins, only small clusters, so think twice before using it. Or order from merchants, every civilization has access to it.
Welded mithril/wolfram: aforementioned metals on steroids, made in the metallurgist.
Slade: You can make slade boulders at the great magma forge by using two stone blocks, then grind that to powder in the arc furnace, then smelt that into bars. Absolutely best for blunt weapons, it's VERY heavy, so think twice before you craft armor out of it - it will be very strong, but slows your dwarfs down very much. It's several times heavier than anything else in the game.
Volcanic: steel+silver+slade+obsidian, and needs magma. As you can see, it's a bitch to create, but it's absolutely worth it. By numbers, it's half as good as adamantine, and that makes it several levels above anything else. It's also heavy, so blunt weapons are a possibility, though I prefer slade for that. Volcanic axes and swords are unstoppable, and unlike candy, it's possible to mass-produce. Armor is superb, but a bit on the heavy side - high level armor users do best in volcanic armor. Deals more damage against frost giants. My personal favorite.
Bifrost: Dropped by frost giants. If you have a chance to get it, use it, it's almost as good as volcanic. Deals more damage against frost giants.
Slademantine: Slade+adamantine. Redundant now, don't bother. Roughly the same as volcanic.
Adamantine: The usual epicness.

When you get the blueprints from the caravans, you can build these:
Weaponry: Make silver/golden runes in the craftdwarf's workshop, and craft runic weapons here. Runic weapons, especially from good material and of masterwork quality are unstoppable. A runic masterwork volcanic greataxe cuts through armies like butter.
Armory: Forge full sets of armor in one reaction, or assemble plated armor. For that, you need to make armor plates here, and when that1s done, add them to a piece of armor. The final product will have the material of the ARMOR, it doesn't matter what you use for the plates, so welded mithril armor+copper plates=welded mithril plated armor.

MDF2 alpha

Iron comes directly from ore again. No more coarse iron.
Mithril now forms veins. BUT there is a separate building for it called mithril furnace. For now, it's available right from the start, in the final version, it will need a blueprint you have to get from the elves.
No more slade and slademantine.
Volcanic needs mithril bars instead of silver.

Oh and the new metals are EXTREMELY valuable. It's almost an exploit to sell two-handed weapons made of anything above steel, since you can buy half of the caravan with a single masterwork weapon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:22:10 pm by Ishar »
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: September 29, 2012, 07:24:20 pm »

Slade has issues against armour, because it's a rock. Slade knuckle dusters could not penetrate cobolt chain mail, for example.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: September 29, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »

Slade bars smelted from powdered slade boulders are still considered rock?
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Spleenling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: September 29, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

Ever since ive started using this mod my dwarfs have stopped using bins to store crafts or are taking them out of the bins
either way trading is taking a long timee

schiad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: September 30, 2012, 03:39:15 am »

if you're planning on buying out the caravans every time, you should level up some cooks.  The grind meat-> sausage option pretty much triples the values of base meats by doublethe value(increases from 1 to 2) and gives 50% overall more units of food  turning these into roasts and shoving them all into rock pots can easily get you some ridiculous values.  A 12 stack of masterwork sausage roast with masterwork minced materials was over 50k to the caravans.  If you're starting off and dont have access to meats(the masterwork mod enables dorfs to butcher sentients so you'll be neck deep in food after the first ambush) you can always do mass plot of sweet pods or cave wheat.  the whole grind wheat to flower-> turn flour to bread in the kitchen reaction needs to be nerfed.  Each loaf of bread(which you can turn into roasts to exponentially increase the value) was like 100r a piece or something silly because the base value of flour is really high.  The same can be done with sweet pods -> flour-> sweet pod candy.  They're of equal value and thus a 20 stack of bread and candy roast can get up to like 60-70k as well assuming some masterworks.

The grind meat-> sausage reactions, bread, and candy reactions will pretty much cause your chefs to be constantly at the kitchen leveling up their cooking skill.  I had my starting dorf cook become legendary by my 4rd season by having a hunter keeping butcher shop busy and 2 3x3 farm plots of sweet pod/cave wheat.

By my 2nd year when seiges started showing up, i was able to buy out most of all the valuable metal stuff from just exporting foods.

EDIT: adding the [automatic] tag to the grind meat, make sausage, make bread, and make candy reactions will save you a TON of headache from job cancel spam due to stupid dorfs grabbing pots the chef is getting stuff out of.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:42:26 am by schiad »

Velak

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: September 30, 2012, 04:35:14 am »

Just started playing with Masterwork (1.9.5) and still fumbling my way around.

Am I missing something?  I'm finding it very difficult to tell the difference between exceptional and masterwork items.  Enjoying it otherwise.

I tend to just quickly press F12, to change the font, find what I need, then press it again to change it back. Or.. could read the description.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 749