Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836371 times)

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - ANOTHER POLL, YEAH!!!
« Reply #6420 on: August 20, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »

Tried to find this answer on my own but no go.

I make plates at the armory, then attempt to apply them to armor. Unfortunately, the military is using the good stuff, and they immediately pick up new armor. Is there a simple way to have the plates applied to my good armor.

The way I think I could do it:
Assign no uniforms to all squads, stockpile nice steel stuff next to armory, apply plates, tell them to get dressed they are embarrassing themselves.

Anyone know an easier way?

Yup, make sure you are using the plated version of the armor in the uniform instead of the non-plated version.  Then they won't use the non-plated stuff.

Afaik somewhere in this thread was discussed how plating works - adding plates creates a new item, therefore adding a new crafting level to it. In conclusion, it is not necessary to only upgrade the highest quality armor.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:03:20 pm by Riun »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:47 pm »

Besides, if you have magma or an excess of fuel (one of which, by the point you think about plated armor, you should definitely have), you can forge a shitload of plates from, let's say, copper. Now, the material of the plates does not matter, so if you use copper plates on welded mithril armor, it magically becomes welded mithril plated armor.
It's somewhat of an exploit, I feel mildly ashamed when I abuse it, but what the heck.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

Gem Industry is fine as it is. I do have a "combine 4 small gems into 1 big gem" in my dev-version, so that should make it easier. Gem furniture (Can easily add statues, no problem) is currently generic. Ruby makes a "Gem Statue" that is stockpiled. Because a "ruby statues" would not. Gem-template using inorganic materials are not stockpiled. I can easily make all items from ruby to ruby item, diamond to diamond item and so on, but nothing will be stockpiled. So I reverted them to a fake plant with gem-like qualities, called "gem". There is no other way to fix this.  Gem stuff is so nice, because it does not need fuel.

@moreaxes: VB, but there is a new GUI in work, in Python. Also crossplatform. :)

@handfullofcheese: dont know anything about adv. mode, sorry. Never played it, I only mod for fortress mode.

@neyvn: maybe, depends on the world. Some worlds and biomes have different items and so forth.

Thanks Meph! It's a small but just something that occurred to me.

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: August 20, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »

Gem Industry is fine as it is. I do have a "combine 4 small gems into 1 big gem" in my dev-version, so that should make it easier. Gem furniture (Can easily add statues, no problem) is currently generic. Ruby makes a "Gem Statue" that is stockpiled. Because a "ruby statues" would not. Gem-template using inorganic materials are not stockpiled. I can easily make all items from ruby to ruby item, diamond to diamond item and so on, but nothing will be stockpiled. So I reverted them to a fake plant with gem-like qualities, called "gem". There is no other way to fix this.  Gem stuff is so nice, because it does not need fuel.

@moreaxes: VB, but there is a new GUI in work, in Python. Also crossplatform. :)

@handfullofcheese: dont know anything about adv. mode, sorry. Never played it, I only mod for fortress mode.

@neyvn: maybe, depends on the world. Some worlds and biomes have different items and so forth.

Out of curiosity how does the valuation of gem furniture work when it is reshaped like this?  That ruby is worth same as quartz or diamond now?

kangzx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: August 21, 2012, 04:16:01 am »

What material are  gem weapons and armor considered  ? It doesnt seem to be metal ,my dwarves dont equip them with metal uniforms. Can I make my dwarves equip them with the color trick ?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: August 21, 2012, 04:35:35 am »

What's the color trick?

[REACTION:GEM_BPLATE]
[NAME:make a gem breastplate]
[BUILDING:GEMFORGE:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:3:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:PLANT_MAT:GEM:WOOD]
[SKILL:CUTGEM]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:57 am »

Hmm, I don't know if this is something with the original game or masterwork, or if it's even a bug and not just something a little weird but I keep getting notifications when some cave animals breed or grow up. Just like they would if they were tamed. The ones that seem to be doing it the most are red frogs douching around in a cave lake. I'm also worried if it's going to do something to fps eventually: there's like 90 of them x.x.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: August 21, 2012, 05:00:35 am »

You can always mass murder them with a cave-in.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

kangzx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: August 21, 2012, 06:03:26 am »

What's the color trick?

[REACTION:GEM_BPLATE]
[NAME:make a gem breastplate]
[BUILDING:GEMFORGE:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:3:SMALLGEM:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:PLANT_MAT:GEM:WOOD]
[SKILL:CUTGEM]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks ,I guess I should have checked that myself :D didnt think of that .
By color trick I meant make them wear armor of certain color ,like white metal for bone armor .

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6429 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

Yes, all gems revert back to one template, with one strength, one color (purple) and one value. In the vanilla game there are 3 major gem groups, so I might raise it to that, but it is a minor issue, a lot of work, and needs tricks with "reaction class" and "has material product". Possible, but low on the list.

Besides, if you have magma or an excess of fuel (one of which, by the point you think about plated armor, you should definitely have), you can forge a shitload of plates from, let's say, copper. Now, the material of the plates does not matter, so if you use copper plates on welded mithril armor, it magically becomes welded mithril plated armor.
It's somewhat of an exploit, I feel mildly ashamed when I abuse it, but what the heck.
I am curious how to make it better. I could do one reaction for each metal, but that would spam the entire workshop full of mostly unneeded reactions. I can make the reaction accept "metal" in general, but then people have problems restricting what metal is used.

What would be a better system for upgrading armors and weapons ? Maybe using runes for both, instead of plates ? I could easily enable the platearmor in the entity file, it would allow plate-gauntlets as well, I would just raise the cost of bars for this high grade armor. But with the small amount of armor-tags in the raws I wouldnt know how to upgrade them to "runic platearmor". It would have no benefit, besides sounding/looking more dwarvish. Suggestions are, as always, welcome.

I also have a special project running by the side... looks like it is possible, and has definetly never been done before. I will let you know as soon as I have a working version of it. 8)

@handfullofcheese: I know about this when a friendly gremlin is born, but the frogs... thats new. Will be fixed next version.

Exploding Ammo
EDIT: Oh, completely forgot: I do have a second nice idea, that has never been done. EXPLODING AMMO. Syndrome bolts work, I can affect a creature with... lets say necrosis. Ok. But what if I give the creature a syndrome adding an interaction that allows one burst of undirected dust causing a syndrome? Arrow hits creature => creature releases undirected dust (cloud of about 20tile-radius) => dust affects all creatures nearby.

I can make explosions, releasing dragonfire-clouds, sleeping-powder bolts, transformation-into-sheeps (classic) or warpstone-bullets that have a chance of mutating/berserking enemies. Just imagine a goblin army, hit by ONE warpstone bullet, and 3 goblins mutate into abominations attacking their own army from within. HA, that will be fun, I really like that idea. Will result in more fun spells for mages as well. :) Sadly, as far as I know, this cant be applied to siegeammo, but I can try.

EDIT2: And becaue I am totally not coding at all, and only sit on my bike and travel, and do not have too much time at night (sleep is for the weak) here some building designs:

Herbalist does work with special plants and direct "plant to item" reactions, leather manufactur makes sets and batches and you can select types of leather directly (normal, thin, hardened, scale, chitin, netherbark, llamelar, studded and so on), wood manufactur does the same for wood types (scrap, normal, smooth, ironbark, steeloak, nirnwood, shadewood, weirwood... yep, new wood types.), cloth manufactur does the same for clothing sets, batches and different cloth and silk types. summoning circle is drow-tech, allowing summoning of demons to fight for rewards, the temple of armok got a new design (feedback, good, bad?) and the bifrost/warpstone stuff get their own buildings. Bifrost Forge is currently a direct copy of the great magma forge with different color scheme, might be changed, but I like the look of it, and it does exactly the same, just with a different material. There is also a finishing forge now, to cold-hammer metals, the crucible does completely different things, and a mithril-forge (elven tech). The blast furnace and arc furnace I kicked out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:50:16 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: August 21, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »

Exploding Ammo? This sounds way too powerful, we will need stronger enemys with all the stuff... :P

Maybe change the armory to only have one kind of plates, which are made of different kind of metals. Would give the less used metals a purpose and add some challenge to upgrade. Runes sounds nice as well, maybe plate+rune?

And you are cruel! Teasing us but not giving any hints.
New Magma Temple looks good.

Btw, something odd about learning rates - normally i embark with 2 Axedwarfes and have Axelords after ~4 Seasons. Last fort i embarked with Speardwarfes and they were Spearlords at the end of first summer.. I will do some further testing on this.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6431 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »

Exploding ammo will be difficult to make ;)

And I simply dont want to make promises I cant keep. But it seems that it will work. Will be nice. I promise ;)

Weaponlords after 2 seasons sounds odd. Maybe berserkers/legion dwarves ? I think I will scrap the berserker and nerf legionnaires for the next versions, the difference to normal dwarves is just too big.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HandFullOfCheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: August 21, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »

I didn't know it was a known issue so I'm not sure if this is normal too but something even weirder happened with the "little red frogs" in the lake in cavern layer 2. I had to abandon the fort and when I reembarked at it, I eventually noticed some vermin remains for like 4 frogs. I checked my tunnel down and made sure that there was no cracks into the cavern that would let them get in and it showed up nothing. Maybe there were some little red frogs on the surface somewhere too? I don't know. Just figured possibly magically killed and teleported vermin would be worth noting.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6433 on: August 21, 2012, 03:23:32 pm »

Vermin actually dont have a pathfinding algorithm and just spam around a bit... they pop up anywhere. So, yes, vermin can teleport through walls if I remember correctly. That is vanilla df, not my doing. Would love to turn it off. ;) But they should keep to their underground depth. Vermin behavior is very weird in this game, and science on it is difficult to do.

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: August 21, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »

Oh, i forgot - i usually watch out to embark with berserker/legions, but these 2 were normal noncaste dwarfs...
I will do a test fort tomorrow, any other thing you want to have tested? My main objective is to see how fast/how many mages i can rush out, so if you have any other thing you want feedback on.
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 749