Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837235 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.3 -Poll about new races
« Reply #5775 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:03 am »

Ok, did one more test to be sure, and yeah I was right, more weight = fewer attacks. To be certain I did a test using wooden weapons (so they don't kill each other and I have more sampling), where one side had slade metal armor and the other had welded mithril (heaviest vs. lightest). 1vs1 fights with great skills on both sides. The guys in welded mithril did something like 10-20x as many attacks as the ones in slade metal. It's really obvious when the difference is that huge.

So yes, if you intended for volcanic to be used for armor and not just weapons, you should lower it's weight. Hell even for weapons welded mithril might be better so long as you aren't fighting something very tough (or frost giants).

Now let me reorient my fort towards mass production of welded mithril from slade... hehe.

Marshbaboon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: July 21, 2012, 12:20:29 pm »

Just a general gameplay question. With the guildhalls disabled what does "harder learning" balance with if you use it in conjunction with castes?

Do you use the libraries to help skill up non caste dwarves (I'm primarily thinking about the military)? Or do you simply treat caste dwarves like heroes ,keeping legion & berserkers in their own squads, only using savants/guild members to craft,  using your non caste dwarves as haulers & the key component of operation meatshield.

Oh also: What exactly do deadly traps do. I know when you mine them they go explodeybad. My miners flash for a while when they hit one, but they don't seem to ever get wounded. Is it something linked to the diseases? I try to avoid mining them, but when they're in the middle of a room I've just designated there really isn't any choice.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:32:58 pm by Marshbaboon »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: July 21, 2012, 01:46:56 pm »

Meph said: @bifrost: It is not naturally occuring, and therefore has no stockpile option. No much I can do...
I got a possible (not the best) solution for this. If slade is undiggable - then male bifrost occure as CLUSTER_ONE in slade - this will make it uppear and won't let people mine it (except if it can be channeled into). And maybe do the same with other unoccuring materials so that they can be stockpiled correctly.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:13 pm »

Ok, did one more test to be sure, and yeah I was right, more weight = fewer attacks. To be certain I did a test using wooden weapons (so they don't kill each other and I have more sampling), where one side had slade metal armor and the other had welded mithril (heaviest vs. lightest). 1vs1 fights with great skills on both sides. The guys in welded mithril did something like 10-20x as many attacks as the ones in slade metal. It's really obvious when the difference is that huge.

I'd be interested in seeing what the difference in attacks are for legendary fighters and for fighters with no skill. It would help determine if skills are a linear increase or not.

Marshbaboon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: July 21, 2012, 02:43:04 pm »

Ok... is it just me this is happening to? Most of my embark sites end up looking like this very quickly. I didn't even have the goods from the wagon moved inside. Serene biome my ass!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »

So yes, if you intended for volcanic to be used for armor and not just weapons, you should lower it's weight. Hell even for weapons welded mithril might be better so long as you aren't fighting something very tough (or frost giants).

Now let me reorient my fort towards mass production of welded mithril from slade... hehe.
Armour skill is supposed to increase the dwarf's speed in armour (I assume if legendary he moves at the same speed as unarmoured? No idea.) Did you/can you assign armour skills to the dwarfs in the test? That might even up the differences between the two armour types. That skills always seems to lag behind the rest of the military skills on my militia though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: July 21, 2012, 04:01:41 pm »

I don't know how to feel about this.

My gem cutter just made an artifact, a rock crystal bucket. It's encrusted with squares of brilliantly cut... (drum roll please) Rusty Ammo Bundle.

Oh, yeah, that happens sometimes. I remember one time, in 31.25, someone was playing with the Wizard Tower mod and ended up with an artifact Magic Missile barrel; the barrel's value changed randomly every time he started up the game, so the value of the fort went from less than -1,000,000,000 urists to over 2,000,000,000 urists.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »

Ok... is it just me this is happening to? Most of my embark sites end up looking like this very quickly. I didn't even have the goods from the wagon moved inside. Serene biome my ass!

Happens to me all the time in good regions. A common creature in these regions are Night mares and night stallions (also occasionally faedogs) which breathe fire and set the whole world on fire. Haha this happened to me so frequently I went so far as to remove them from the game entirely... :P

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: July 21, 2012, 06:35:49 pm »

Armour skill is supposed to increase the dwarf's speed in armour (I assume if legendary he moves at the same speed as unarmoured? No idea.) Did you/can you assign armour skills to the dwarfs in the test? That might even up the differences between the two armour types. That skills always seems to lag behind the rest of the military skills on my militia though.

The dwarves had great in all skills, including armor. So not complete legendary but quite high. Seemed to me like a good compromise to see dwarves with decent but not perfect skills.

As for varying skills.. yeah it would be nice but well... maybe later heh. I don't see much point though - perhaps complete legendary in armor would eliminate the penalty, but I doubt it consider how huge of a difference it was at great level. And even if it does, most of the time you don't have legendary armor dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:40:15 pm by ioi101 »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:46 pm »

Legendary Armor Users get no speed penalty from armor, IIRC.

[Which makes the 10-20 factor in speed even more noticable, considering they were at great. That shit's heavy.]

I've never even thought about using slade as armor, not even for a second. The main attribute to factor in for armor is how much it's going to weigh compared to how well it'll defend; which is what makes Candy so worth making into armor. All the defence in the world isn't going to help if the attacker(s) [much exacerbated with multiple attackers] get multiple moves in for your one. Stick to making Slademantine if you're messing with the stuff, it's useless otherwise. Except hammers. But those are of varying worth, too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:06:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: July 21, 2012, 08:49:31 pm »

I've never even thought about using slade as armor, not even for a second.

Yeah, i'm starting to wish it wasn't even possible to make slade armor, since if some invader brings a piece onto the map you have to lug it around :)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: July 21, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »

Happens to me all the time in good regions. A common creature in these regions are Night mares and night stallions (also occasionally faedogs) which breathe fire and set the whole world on fire. Haha this happened to me so frequently I went so far as to remove them from the game entirely... :P

Oh yes.  Nightmares are psychotic pyromaniacal demon horses that shoot fireballs if your dwarves so much as fart in their direction.  If that wasn't bad enough, they also fly.

OTOH, bubble bulb is apparently very resilient and grows back quickly.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Marshbaboon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: July 21, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »

Finally caught them in the act. 5-6 times it's happened with no combat reports and no creatures in the creatures list to blame. I'm going to try to cover everything by the entrance with fireproof flooring... Do brass golems burn? :P

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: July 22, 2012, 12:10:42 am »

Thoughts on new races:

The Terracotta army sounds cool. 

I do like the idea of adding a race that uses warpstone. 

I was thinking it might be good to make a race of invaders with a link to books and archeology, since both of those aspects are a bit bland as they stand.  The mooted egyptian themed race would fit well with that.

What I am envisioning is:

-A race of Anubi that comes equipped in fossil armour and weapons.
-With a spellcaster caste that is able to raise "mummies".
-Possibly with chariots, thought that might fit better with the Terracotta Army - both Ancient Egypt and Ancient China used chariots, but giving both armies chariots might reduce the flavour of both enemies.
-Drop books (the non-magical ones that are used in skill training) and fossil items when killed.
-I really don't like the idea of a race of jackal-men in ancient Egyptian kit just coming over the hill one day and attacking the fortress, much more interesting would be if they were the "guardians of the hidden knowledge" who had a chance of appearing when your fortress recovered powerful fossil artifacts.

Say the Anubi were created in a similar way to the reaction that creates golems and turrets now, only instead of the reaction creating a creature friendly to the fortress, it creates an enemy or a squad of enemies.  More valuable fossils would have higher likelihoods of resulting in Anubi appearing, and the most valuable fossils would tend to result in whole squads of Anubi or single powerful Anubi spell casters coming to protect the knowledge that your foolish Dwarfs were trying to steal from the depths.

It would also continue the work Masterwork has been doing developing threats that strike from inside the fortress.

Clearly, the more dangerous the Anubi, the more powerful fossils should be, in order to tempt players to risk their wrath, just as adamantine tempts us to risk demonic invasion.  Fossil magical tomes for example.  I'm not sure that making fossil weapons and armour be another "better than steel" material is a great idea, since there are already alot of those, maybe if fossil items were the same as bronze, but had special powers, similar to the way Volcanic has special anti-frost giant properties?  I am not sure what sort of special powers are possible given the limitations of raw editing though.

The idea of the magical tomes being something I had to battle Egyptian deities to get makes me thirst to build a fortress of god-killing sorcerer dwarfs, and I'm one of these folks who usually plays Masterwork as low-magic as I can.

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5789 on: July 22, 2012, 11:28:04 am »

Ok, today will be interesting, I will meet Narhiril in a few hours. :)

@fasquardon: That is a brilliant idea. I could make a workshop that essentially says: Do this reaction to summon a group of evil creatures (summon demons, awaking old egypt mummies and so forth) and fight them, and upon death they do drop special items. That is actually totally new and I think people would love it. Thanks a lot for this idea :)

@marshbaboon: Try channeling as fire-barriers. Fires cant burn up or down zlvls. Deadly traps should kill the miner, maybe I should make them deadlier ^^ And the harder learning does affect the castes as well, just not as strongly. How you treat them is up to you however.

@tierre: Another good idea. Hide non-natural stuff in undiggable slade, so the stockpiles accept it. I have to test this :) Maybe a natural occuring inorganic mat with a frequency of 0 would suffice as well ?

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 749