Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837515 times)

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.3 - NEW POLL - Future of the Mod
« Reply #5655 on: July 13, 2012, 04:22:57 pm »

Yes, I think the best thing is to have both options- both hunting in the caverns and trading as ways of obtaining very high quality gear. And the mod already has the basic setup of both things, and I think it would be a interesting way in which to expand it.

As for eliminating any other forms of the "supermaterial" from trade - wouldn't it be easiest to make it so only the non-dwarf civs have access to it at all? And then let the dwarves be the source of the great automatons/runes/tomes, etc. like they are already. I don't know how easy it would be to make a script that multiplies all the values of these tradegoods. Should be doable in UNIX, in windows I have no idea heh. I think it really fits with your style of making the mod moddable though, by letting the player control the difficulty.

Why do I want something like that - basically right now if you're playing powergamery, you worry about getting good gear/weapons (or traps), food, and some very basic happiness (furniture). Creating value for trade caravans just happens naturally through growing/cooking + training armorsmith/weaponsmith. Doing things purely for export - making crafts/decorating, dyes, etc. is pretty much unnecesary, and ineffective. But if you make it so there's an endless stream of expensive stuff to buy, and couple it with a boost to some of the value making industries that aren't as neccesary right now (say making decorations/crafts 2-3x as valuable), it would give you more ways to play and be more interesting. And it's also a straightforward way to bump up the difficulty of the economic side of the game, as opposed to the military.

In general I think it would be a good thing for industries to have a "specialties" of sorts, i.e. metal/temples -> military equips/buffs/transforms, wood/stone -> furniture, gems/crafts/decorating-> value for trade. Of course you also want to have versatility and connections, but those are pretty much already in the mod/vanilla DF, i.e. being able to make weapons from a variety of materials even if metal is "best", and the fact that lots of industries make tools needed in other ones like bags/jugs/etc.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:30:45 pm by ioi101 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5656 on: July 13, 2012, 04:33:46 pm »

wouldn't it be easiest to make it so only the non-dwarf civs have access to it at all?

Well, sure I would do that, but YOU, the player, who is playing dwarves, would need a way to use it. And then your homeciv does as well, because you play with that civ. If I allow a custom building that uses these materials to make stuff, or if I enable it for your forges and smiths to be used,so does your civ in worldgen.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: July 13, 2012, 04:52:09 pm »

Yeah that was.. rather obvious wasn't it. Ok I'll leave the modding to the modders  :).

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: July 13, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

well, then the only way to avoid this is by giving the enemy the finished goods with them. Dwarfsized enemys of course, and weapons dwarfes can wield. In this way you dont need to give the dwarfs the reaction. The downside would be that you do not know what you get before the invaders are knocking on your door with the stuff you want.

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: July 13, 2012, 05:18:04 pm »

Just decided to try this mod out, after putting off trying it forever. 

A quick question; when starting Masterwork Settings 1.9.2.exe, I'm told it can't find the DF directory.  It can't find the very directory that it's sitting in.  Is there something obvious I was supposed to do before starting it that I missed?

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: July 13, 2012, 05:28:42 pm »

Have you actually unrared it or just opened an archive and went for the exe?

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:25 pm »

UnRARed it all into a DF subdirectory (making this I believe the 6th concurrent installation of DF I have now), with the other files and folders from the RAR in the same directory as the game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5662 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »

No wonder it doesnt work. You just unpack it, and that is it. You dont need DF, you dont need to sort anything, just unpack and run it. It is pre-installed, meaning that Dwarf Fortress is already included.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:24 pm »

@meph
I was not sure if there are some differences how the linux version and how the windows version works

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: July 13, 2012, 08:11:43 pm »

rock anvil?  what makes it?

rock forge isn't it
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:14:41 pm by thistleknot »

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

No wonder it doesnt work. You just unpack it, and that is it. You dont need DF, you dont need to sort anything, just unpack and run it. It is pre-installed, meaning that Dwarf Fortress is already included.
That was what I did.  I unpacked the RAR into it's own directory, separate form my other DF installs.

I did however figure out that, when I was unpacking, I shoved the Settings exe into the DF directory, rather than leaving it in the one above it.  So now it works.  Seems like a odd choice, requiring a certain directory structure to make something work, but I'm a terrible programmer, so I'm hardly fit to judge.

MUCH LATER EDIT: Okay, had to break away for a bit before I could start actually playing, upon returning, I genned a test world from one of the included worldgen recipes.  Nice quick generation, found a test site.  Grass, water... trees?  Maybe?  They're placed like trees, but they look like fire, the same flickering square effect.  And when I cursor over them, the tile material shifts randomly very fast.  When I caught this shot, it decided it was called Metal of Armok.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I decided to try generating another world, and fed it a recipe in use in vanilla 41.11.  Upon reaching the site, same thing.  This time, the flickering square, in the frame I caught it in, decided it was bismuth bronze.

In addition, I actually decided to look at the embark settings this time.  I don't pretend to know all the new items added, so I'm forced to ask. Silt pickaxes, white sand anvils, petrification spell clay, hardwood chops, is this all normal?

Is anything here normal?  Is my install completely screwed up?  Is it something that could have been caused by my choice of settings?

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:23:04 pm by Truec »

ShadowLop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:15 am »

That was what I did.  I unpacked the RAR into it's own directory, separate form my other DF installs.

I did however figure out that, when I was unpacking, I shoved the Settings exe into the DF directory, rather than leaving it in the one above it.  So now it works.  Seems like a odd choice, requiring a certain directory structure to make something work, but I'm a terrible programmer, so I'm hardly fit to judge.

MUCH LATER EDIT: Okay, had to break away for a bit before I could start actually playing, upon returning, I genned a test world from one of the included worldgen recipes.  Nice quick generation, found a test site.  Grass, water... trees?  Maybe?  They're placed like trees, but they look like fire, the same flickering square effect.  And when I cursor over them, the tile material shifts randomly very fast.  When I caught this shot, it decided it was called Metal of Armok.

So I decided to try generating another world, and fed it a recipe in use in vanilla 41.11.  Upon reaching the site, same thing.  This time, the flickering square, in the frame I caught it in, decided it was bismuth bronze.

In addition, I actually decided to look at the embark settings this time.  I don't pretend to know all the new items added, so I'm forced to ask. Silt pickaxes, white sand anvils, petrification spell clay, hardwood chops, is this all normal?

Is anything here normal?  Is my install completely screwed up?  Is it something that could have been caused by my choice of settings?

I believe this issue is related to duplicate RAWs.
Hmm...a trade? Intriguing...No, wait, boring! PULL OFF HIS KNEECAPS!

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: July 14, 2012, 12:21:21 am »

That did occur to me (last time that happened to me I ended up with playable crocodiles), and so wiped the objects folder, re-extracted from the RAR, and generated another world.  Same issue. 

Upon wiping the whole mess and starting with a freshly extracted install, it now seems to work fine.  So presumably, something I did before went terribly wrong.  As usual, the error lies somewhere roughly between the keyboard and the chair.

cAPSLOCK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: July 14, 2012, 12:46:00 am »

Hey! First of all, I love this mod! It makes fortress mode not boring!   :D

Second, the drop rates for stones seems to have been DRASTICALLY reduced.
I turned off the less solid rock option but it doesn't seem to help. :(

Like, out of 100 spaces mined I only got ~20 stones.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:49:25 am by cAPSLOCK »
The flying -Wooden Bolt- strikes the Steel Clad Adventurer in the right foot, tearing the muscle and chipping the bone!

The Steel Clad Adventurer gives into pain.

The cAPSLOCK has become enraged!

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: July 14, 2012, 06:54:36 am »

Hey! First of all, I love this mod! It makes fortress mode not boring!   :D

Second, the drop rates for stones seems to have been DRASTICALLY reduced.
I turned off the less solid rock option but it doesn't seem to help. :(

Like, out of 100 spaces mined I only got ~20 stones.

According to the wiki this is a change to vanilla DF in 34.08, nothing to do with MW. stones have a flat 25% chance of appearing (100% for small clusters like gems), which is about what you're seeing. But yeah this suprised me too initially heh.
Pages: 1 ... 376 377 [378] 379 380 ... 749