Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837543 times)

AssassinT90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.3 - NEW POLL - Future of the Mod
« Reply #5610 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:37 pm »

isnt that one of the things you can just switch without doing a new world gen?
Currently playing with harder smithing disabled and an adamantine gauntlet needs 6 adamantine waffers to be forged. Is that the default?

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:30 pm »

Yes, I agree about the warhammers, that's why I said hammerdwarves have their own issues vs. large creatures. I think the problem is more with the pikes - pikes should be the best vs. large creatures but they also turn out to be very good vs. armored dwarves. So what are they not best against? I'm guessing they would fail in combat between unarmored opponents if the other side had slashing weapons (slashing is good against unarmored, small opponents), but that sort of combat almost never happens in fortress mode. I also think slashing may beat them in fights between a few dwarves vs. alot of badly armed/armored opponents, but that's much harder to test.

I didn't really mean it as something to be fixed though, the balance is fine enough that say, making it 5vs6 is enough to change the balance the other way, so in practice, this doesn't matter much. I may do some testing of small grps of mithril armed dwarves vs. bigger grps of steel/iron oppnents later and see if that changes things. And maybe 2h weapons could use a little boost.

I also want to push back against making skill training simpler. I actually like it alot the way it is - something to use for training doctors and training teacher/basic combat skills to a main dwarf without being overpowered or easy. I'd maybe add the possibility of using something else for binding that isn't as trade-limited as leather (lots of cloth? metal strands?), and change the skill used to something specific so you don't waste your leg. armorer on it while you aren't looking (although that can be solved with profile manager I think).

My much bigger problem with training in general is that it's far too dependent on luck in getting the right caste's. A legion or bezerker dwarf is a much, much better warrior then anything else. Same with savants and other specialized castes. This is in principle a good thing, but you really need a way to be able to get the caste's you need, at a high cost. I guess that used to be in the mod but was removed because it interfered with something?

AssassinT90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:27 pm »

So... If anyone could tell me which file I should edit to change the number of bars required for forging armors/weapons, I'll be thankful.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: July 11, 2012, 05:01:25 pm »

So... If anyone could tell me which file I should edit to change the number of bars required for forging armors/weapons, I'll be thankful.

Each weapon/armor piece has its own material size, so you would have to change all the item_*.txt files [MATERIAL_SIZE] token. The reason it takes so much adamantine is because they are waffers not bars and IIRC one bar = 3 wafers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5614 on: July 11, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »

Wafers and bars are not the same ? Wow, that makes adam/iridum stuff a lot more expensive. Has this always been like this, or just since 34.?

Same with savants and other specialized castes. This is in principle a good thing, but you really need a way to be able to get the caste's you need, at a high cost. I guess that used to be in the mod but was removed because it interfered with something?
Yes, it used transformation, and already transformed creatures cant transform again. The problem was that a dwarf => legion dwarf => golem/mage was impossible. And since there is no indication if a dwarf is part of a caste because he was always a member, or because he became one, it was difficult to micromanage the golems and mages. An already transformed dwarf could easily waste all you golem/mage ingredients without ever transforming.

The weapons are also balanced by the need for bars. A shortsword is weaker then a pike, yes, but also cheaper and lighter. I would however appreciate a better balancing, although I dont exactly know which weapons are overpowered and which are not. I usually have zweihander, battleaxe, warhammer, pike, and  crossbows (early ranged) and handcannons (highly skilled ranged).

About the books: Maybe I can change it to this:
Leather => Make vellum => need ink => book
Wood => Make paper => need ink => book
Plants => Make papyrus => need ink => book

With these reactions for ink:
Blood => make red ink
Ash => make black ink
Specific stone/ore => make (whatever) ink

Add a "ink crate (10 jars full of ink)", "blank book-crate (10 blank books)" and "mixed book-crate (10 random books)" to the trading and it should be better, no ?

I also have 5 buildings currently for the training, the scriptorium to make everything, and 4 libraries, just to split the different categories up a bit. Would you think that ONE big library would be better ? It would cause more scrolling for the training reactions in the workshop itself, but I could scrap 3 buildings for it...

EDIT: I also got a suggestion about special named books, similar to the ones that currently have a small chance of popping up now and then. Have them as high value tradegoods, or more complicated to write, but they give a bigger skillboost. Not training a little and being preserved, but train one entire lvl. Similar to the skill essence, but not to legendary, but only a little step. The book would be used up in the process, so if you find the "advanced handbook on swordfighting" or the "ancient technique of drizzt the drow sworddancer" you could use these more readily... sounds good, bad, unbalanced ?

EDIT2: Afterthought: Maybe add old books to fossils... who says that forgotten boxes and chests must be full of metal bars ? I can put all kinds of stuff in there... small chance for some book or scroll...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:14:44 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: July 11, 2012, 06:44:57 pm »

As far as I know the wafers =/= bars thing has always been the case. I remember when I used to play vanilla that a breastplate would take 3 bars but 9 wafers. Granted that was a long time ago and it's been awhile since I've played a fort to the point where I got candy wafers so I could just be wrong.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »

Meph, for the wafer vs. bar deal, I would suggest making candy and iridium bars instead of wafers when more bars for smithing is turned off.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »

As far as I know the wafers =/= bars thing has always been the case. I remember when I used to play vanilla that a breastplate would take 3 bars but 9 wafers. Granted that was a long time ago and it's been awhile since I've played a fort to the point where I got candy wafers so I could just be wrong.

It's always been like that, even back in 2d as far as I can remember. I just never really took note of it till now, I assumed bars and wafers were the same.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bouchacha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »

Training Books

I actually haven't played around with books because of the production line, but looking at the guide it says that it uses the teacher skill to create a tome. The guides say the reaction is guaranteed and without a failure rate. Does this mean that the teaching skill has no effect? If that is the case, I still don't understand how an unskilled laborer can write a instructional manual detailing the nuances of say, dwarven surgery. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding the mechanic. If not, I still think it makes way more sense to offer tomes strictly as a trade good. One of the stated objective of the mod is to make trade more interesting and necessary, and this is definitely one way to do it.

Speaking in terms of flavor, books only make sense if they're rare and originating from established sites of civilization, not mass produced by a bunch of drunks in a dirt hole.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: July 11, 2012, 11:34:10 pm »

Training Books

I still don't understand how an unskilled laborer can write a instructional manual detailing the nuances of say, dwarven surgery.

Dwarfen surgery is applied via the use of a pickaxe, so the instructions arent that problematic ;)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:08 am »

I'd just like to say, thanks for keeping my mod in even when I didn't update. I'm bugfixing the hell out of it now, and a new version will be out soon.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: July 12, 2012, 03:34:33 am »

About adding books to archeology - i always thought that it is not rewarding enough. Getting silver, gold and  platinum bars is funny - but you got it a lot anyway. So maybe really more expensive gems, maybe even old coins (for trade), books, alchemic ingridients (upto philosopher stone), and a big variety of weapons and armor of verying material and effectiveness (depending on a chest you find). It is more reasonable than simple bars of metal. And i wrote about that i think about all the things you get from archeology in my thread in the first post:). So i think archeology is up for a good rework. Fossilised ammo and weapons is strange - you won't be able to use them anyway. More chests with different things in them. Like ancient elven chest of alchemy and books and big chest of human treasures (with gold and coins) and ancient chest of demonic weapons (i think it should use slademantine instead of steel grade demonic material though - or it is not rewarding enough):)

Kandryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: July 12, 2012, 04:23:02 am »

Books should all be available in a single workshop (library maybe?) Keep it small, 2x2 tiles? (desk,chair, bookcase-like tile, and an empty space) because it's one workshop per dwarf training, I don't want to setup a 3x30 room so 10 dwarves can read at the same time :D
Is it currently possible to setup a stockpile only for book?

Also books should come with a quality affix, affecting learning speed (hurrah for a masterful book of surgery). Learning skill of the reader should also be used in the equation.

For the book creation process I could see 2 options:
-Using the writer skill related to the current book being written to define the quality. (a legendary miner should create superior/excep/masterul mining books)
-Using the teacher skill to define the book quality.

In both cases, the writer should gain some teacher skill.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:09:38 am by Kandryn »

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: July 12, 2012, 04:32:08 am »

I think it is not possible to get link from a quality of the book to the learning rate. Though Meph is an industrious felow and might figure some way to do it, but don't get your hopes up:) I don't see any option how to do it at all with present modding possibilities.

Kandryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: July 12, 2012, 04:51:50 am »

Mmh yeah, on second thought, I also doubt it's possible with raw-editing only :/
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 749