Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837619 times)

Sauzer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #5550 on: July 07, 2012, 10:52:12 am »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but this is the 5th fortress I start that gets no migrants after the first 2 scripted waves (if I'm lucky I sometimes get 1 or 2 dwarves, that's it). Yes I produced wealth, yes I have contact with the dwarf civ and it's alive, yes caravans arrive regularly. Only thing I can think of is too many Fortress Defence races, but testing the theory is hard since it takes quite a while to get to the point of non-scripted migrants (after the first two waves, which is a lot if I have to try a load of combinations).
Am I doing something very, very wrong?
I just registered to echo the issue of this poster.  I am on the fifth year of a fortress and have received no migrants since the second scripted wave.  The fortress is regularly buying out caravans so I doubt value is the culprit, and anyway I don't even receive the "fortress has attracted no migrants" as far I have noticed.  In Legends, my dwarven civilization is still extant (the largest civ in the world in fact) so it's not that they are wiped out either.  I routinely receive caravans from the mountainhome.

Since this doesn't seem to be affecting most posters, here are the settings I'm using in the launcher with the newest version (1.9.3):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway I question whether a fix would be possible with such vague information, but I just figured I'd reiterate that this A Thing for certain (apparently few) players/worlds.  Otherwise I love the mod, thanks.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.3 - for 34.11 UPDATED!!!
« Reply #5551 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:33 am »

This has to do with the size of your dwarven civilisation. If its a very small civ (check when your embarking by pressing tab too see your civ) you can see how much territory it controls. If I contains less than 3 squares on the world map migrants are rare as the civ simply cannot afford to send migrants. Gen a new world where the dwarfs thrive more or choose a civ that has multiple territories under its control to avert this.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: July 07, 2012, 11:42:16 am »

That's a problem with the phoebus/ironhand tileset. The gender icons share their symbol with other ingame objects, and in order to modify the ingame objects the gender symbols changed too. It has to do with the game engine and there is no current workaround I believe :P

In the Phoebus tileset, if you look closely at the pendant you'll see that the charm on it is the Venus symbol ♀, and the fastener on the bag looks quite a bit like the Mars symbol ♂

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: July 07, 2012, 11:44:24 am »

I just started using masterwork mod and I have a problem. The first autumn just started for my current fortress and at first every singal person had a fever but I just ignored it. Now one of my concubines died of suffucation. No I only use them for extra hauling work getting done. Or for a bastion. But I don't eat them. But anyways she was just standing around without any injuries and suffocated. So I decided to save and wait till the next day to ask for help. When I turned off DF I saw that every singal one of  my dwarfs had gotten the plague. But it did not even show up as an announcement. Is there any way I can get rid of it. I don't have a hospital. I saw something called a plague ward on the embark screen but I did not buy any and would have no idea how to use them. Is there anything I can remove from the raws in the save to get rid of the plague and the fever on the infected dwarfs? How can I fight it in the future?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5554 on: July 07, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »

You have to order a ward from a caravan...granted, that takes forever. You can also quarantine your dwarves, and wait for the plague to stop. You only have to find and isolate the ONE dwarf that started it.

If you want to disable it, you can open the Settings.exe and disable "Diseases" under Misc Features. But you need to gen a new world.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: July 07, 2012, 06:18:48 pm »

So I just have to quarantine the one dwarf that started it even though just about all of them have it? Won't more die before then?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5556 on: July 07, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »

Maybe ? It is supposely very virulent ;) The ability to infect others stops after a while, even if they are still affected by the negative sides of the plague. If you can sort out the slowly healed ones and isolate them from the sick ones, it will work. It is tricky, but that is intended.

I also have a question for the community:

I encountered a little problem. There is a conflict between having interlocking components, and components that are stand.alone. Example:

Guns need gunpowder.
Chemist should make gunpowder.
So without chemist, guns wont work.

Currently I do this:
Guns need gunpowder. Gunpowder is produced in ammo mint.
Chemist creates blackpowder, is used for explosion (mines and turrets)
This makes no sense realism-wise.

First example is a nicer flow, but people need to activate both workshop for guns to work. Second example allows to independently enable/disable guns and chemistry, but makes no sense.

Question: What is better? Independent Features, or Interlocking Features ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DrStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »

(granted, these icons are a pendent and a bag but that's good enough to tell them apart)

That's a problem with the phoebus/ironhand tileset. The gender icons share their symbol with other ingame objects, and in order to modify the ingame objects the gender symbols changed too. It has to do with the game engine and there is no current workaround I believe :P

I don't mind the re-purposed icons, I do mind not having different icons; something in masterwork has changed the animal list from "male symbol = X and female symbol = Y" to "Male AND female symbol = Z"

Turn truetype off when you're checking gender.
Thanks, that fixed it and brought back the different icons.

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress with a mod that adds more complexity.  I don't feel the need to use an ASCII tileset or disable truetype fonts to be even more elitist. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »

interlocking would be really fun, until you make something that i really like interlock with something i don't :)

Can you do logic in the toggles like "if Ammomint=Yes OR Chemist=Yes then Gunpowder=exists".  Or just make the material gunpowder exist all the time no matter what.  Then both Ammo Mint and Chemist can make and use the same kind of gunpowder?  ... independent, but still more sense?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5559 on: July 07, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »

What I can do is this:

You disable Chemist, it automatically disables Guns as well.
You disable Chemist, it automatically adds gunpowder to Gunsmith.
You disable Chemist, it disables Gunpowder and Guns can be made without it.

It gets really complicated, both for me and the player though... and the manual would be a horror to write: Yes, you need gunpowder, is produced in the Chemist, except when you disabled the Chemist then is is created in the Gunsmith, or not at all. ^^

I want to either do ONLY independent features, or interlocking ones, to avoid confusion. I just dont know how well that will turn out. Or in other words: What would be favoured by you, the players ;)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: July 08, 2012, 12:43:01 am »

(granted, these icons are a pendent and a bag but that's good enough to tell them apart)

I don't mind the re-purposed icons, I do mind not having different icons; something in masterwork has changed the animal list from "male symbol = X and female symbol = Y" to "Male AND female symbol = Z"

Thanks, that fixed it and brought back the different icons.

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress with a mod that adds more complexity.  I don't feel the need to use an ASCII tileset or disable truetype fonts to be even more elitist.

Has absolutely nothing to do with elitism.  You shouldn't get snippy with someone who's trying to help you with your problem.

Maybe ? It is supposely very virulent ;) The ability to infect others stops after a while, even if they are still affected by the negative sides of the plague. If you can sort out the slowly healed ones and isolate them from the sick ones, it will work. It is tricky, but that is intended.

I also have a question for the community:

I encountered a little problem. There is a conflict between having interlocking components, and components that are stand.alone. Example:

Guns need gunpowder.
Chemist should make gunpowder.
So without chemist, guns wont work.

Currently I do this:
Guns need gunpowder. Gunpowder is produced in ammo mint.
Chemist creates blackpowder, is used for explosion (mines and turrets)
This makes no sense realism-wise.

First example is a nicer flow, but people need to activate both workshop for guns to work. Second example allows to independently enable/disable guns and chemistry, but makes no sense.

And Meph, I agree that the first example makes a ton more sense, but it can become a nightmare in the long run once you put out the major rework that allows for nearly all options to be toggled.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: July 08, 2012, 01:26:30 am »

In this specific example I like either of these solutions:

* Chemist is the only source of gunpowder, therefore if you disable Chemist, it automatically disables Guns as well.
or
* Chemist and Gunsmith both can always create the same kind of gunpowder (whether or not the other building is active)

But I dislike:

* You disable Chemist, it automatically adds gunpowder to Gunsmith.
* You disable Chemist, it disables Gunpowder and Guns can be made without it.
* Chemist makes one kind of blackpowder, Gunsmith makes a different gunpowder

I am not sure how those preferences map on to the general question.  Perhaps because I don't know exactly what interlocking means in this case.  (complex industry chains can be fun!  but allowing certain combinations of options to lead to broken dependencies or dead-ends are bad of course..) 

Ise

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: July 08, 2012, 02:58:09 am »

I got a migrant who belongs to "Secret3 Wp" caste. In addition, his description says: " A short sturdy creature fond of the moon and industry." Who is this dwarf, and does he have any special abilities?

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:06:16 am by zenerbufen »

Sarkovar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

I got a migrant who belongs to "Secret3 Wp" caste. In addition, his description says: " A short sturdy creature fond of the moon and industry." Who is this dwarf, and does he have any special abilities?
Don't take my word on this because I've never seen it personally, but if I were you I would forge a few silver weapons if you know what I mean.
Me: FLAMING BABY FLAIL'S COMIN' AT YA DEMONS.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 749