Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838660 times)

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.2 - for 34.10 MAC UPDATE
« Reply #4590 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:14 am »

When I was looking for fort locations earlier for the community fort I found the occasional "Deadly trap cluster", I assume that is what Tieresias was talking about. Haven't experienced them myself though.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:37 am »

Thanks panopticon, that really helped.

Ok here is the deal with traps. There are toggled on the building page, under archeology. They are actually considered a fossil. If you turn them off you won't be able to find some neat awesome stuff in the ground, but you also won't happen upon the traps any more either.

McCrow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: May 25, 2012, 06:12:44 am »

Hey, I'm still having trouble getting the Great Magma Forge to build, saying that I don't have magma-safe pipes (I do). I've tried removing the [FIRE_BUILD_SAFE] tag for pipes in the building_great_magma_forge file in raw>objects folder, but that did not make a difference. Is there something different that needs to be edited?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: May 25, 2012, 09:36:57 am »

BTW, drake scale made into bags actually produces drake scale chests. How can I change this?
What workshop are you trying to make the bag at and what is the name of the reaction called? Also drake scale is not considered a leather, I don't think you should be able to make bags out of them at all.

IIRC, I believe the problem is that the drake scale has the [HARD] tag, and any material with that tag becomes a chest instead of a bag.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: May 25, 2012, 09:47:39 am »

just saying, in the raws the centaurs can be in any land biome, have each curiousbeast token, building destroyer one so wooden doors and workshops they destroy and they can open doors.  build stone doors and lock them when they enter the field, maybe trap the door to lock on a pressure plate.  or just have weapon/minecart trapped hallways
they are 9.5 times the size of a dwarf as well :P

So that's why they tend to do so much damage. Huh.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:46 am »

I've had a frustrating one just now - before saying that though, the MW mod has made the game a huge amount better, expanded it a lot beyond the ol' goblins.

A siege occurred, naga people I think, and it 'locked things up' from there - as in, I'd turtled to build steel armour etc, left them outside, there was also a lord vampire out there. The Nagas were riding flying beasts, and flew a few Z levels above the southeast volcano. And stayed there.

So once I felt the little peanuts were up to the action, I opened the gate. Lord Vampire ran in, jumped happily into a cage trap, and I designated him to the Target Practice room. He could move fast, but went down.

Anyway, I can't get at the siegers now. They're down to four, and just float around. I've built a little bridge over to them on the volcano, thinking its a pathing issue, its not apparantly. Not that I mind an odd naga or two hanging around, but since they've arrive, I've had zero caravans. Maybe a coincidence. I've also done the trick of bridging up an entry for traders to the traders depo (ramps leading down into the fortress, bridges blocking to the edge)... otherwise pretty unplayable imo. But the first 3-4 trade caravans were fine.

Anyway, maybe a vanilla bug. Puts a bit of an end to the fun though.

Other thing I had a question for, and after searching couldn't find, silk worms. I bought a few from the trader and I've tried to get them producing silk to no avail. Built their cage around some hives, had a beekeeper, locked the door so the little gollums wouldn't kill them. Can't get those guys to work. In the end I opened the doors, and the cats got em.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: May 25, 2012, 10:15:24 am »

Hey, I'm still having trouble getting the Great Magma Forge to build, saying that I don't have magma-safe pipes (I do). I've tried removing the [FIRE_BUILD_SAFE] tag for pipes in the building_great_magma_forge file in raw>objects folder, but that did not make a difference. Is there something different that needs to be edited?

Make sure you are removing this from the raws in the save game you are loading from (Dwarf Fortress / data / save / region# / raw /objects).

Try removing the PIPE_SECTION line entirely and see what happens?  I looked at my building_great_magma_forge.txt and there isn't even a [FIRE_BUILD_SAFE] on the PIPE line.

Anyway, I can't get at the siegers now. They're down to four, and just float around. I've built a little bridge over to them on the volcano, thinking its a pathing issue, its not apparantly. Not that I mind an odd naga or two hanging around, but since they've arrive, I've had zero caravans. Maybe a coincidence. I've also done the trick of bridging up an entry for traders to the traders depo (ramps leading down into the fortress, bridges blocking to the edge)... otherwise pretty unplayable imo. But the first 3-4 trade caravans were fine.

This is a classic DF bug, flyers don't path well.  Fortress Defense (nagas, etc) sort of makes the problem worse, in that you now have more civs, that can tame more animals, so some civs will eventually tame a flyer and then those sieges are occasionally going to be pretty lame.

There are two things that will help, which I do whenever I add Fortress Defense races:
- do not run a long world gen.  I believe the longer the world generates, the more creatures these races tame, and the more likely they are going to have flying mounts.
- train up marksdwarves.  I always aim to have two squads up and running by the time I get siegers.  They are pretty good at chasing off 'stuck' flying sieges.  Since they need to be sent out of the fort to chase off flyers, be sure to lead with a melee squad to provide them protection - you don't want archers tripping upon an Ambush of goblin lashers or whatever!

EDIT: BTW, as you've noticed, traders will not arrive while your screen is showing the "SIEGE" tag
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:20:53 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: May 25, 2012, 10:21:41 am »

Quote from: Bilbo Baggins
I fail at quoting.

Ah ok thanks, yeah I thought I recalled reading a forum/bug report saying something similar. The problem is I can't get the marksdwarves to attack it, its off the rim of the volcano. The bridge should path them there, on the same Z level, but they're quite happy drinking rum indoors despite the order to Move over the there. I don't know if there's  any relationship between them lingering and the lack of traders, though its been ~5 years.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:28:41 am by Marc Remillard »

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:49 am »

Quote from: Bilbo Baggins
I fail at quoting.

Ah ok thanks, yeah I thought I recalled reading a forum/bug report saying something similar. The problem is I can't get the marksdwarves to attack it, its off the rim of the volcano. The bridge should path them there, on the same Z level, but they're quite happy drinking rum indoors despite the order to Move over the there. I don't know if there's  any relationship between them lingering and the lack of traders, though its been ~5 years.

The other, slight, weird issues that got me were:

1) designating a leather stockpile to receive from another; the target one had Lamellar only, as I wanted that particular workshop to make padded lamellar stuff. The lazy, fat dwarves didn't move anything there, and upon further checking, there's two Lamellar options in the list for the stockpile (and two Leathers etc). Choosing the 'second' lamellar worked.

2) trying the same trick with stone pots, having one larger stockpile Give to the little one. I wanted stone pot stockpile next to my pig tail oil producer... didn't seem to work at all. Maybe vanilla also. In this case there were no odd duplicates, it just didn't work.

cephelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: May 25, 2012, 10:42:58 am »

So apparently danger rooms are... incredibly dangerous... with Masterwork. Is there an option to disable this? I'm still getting used to the game and sieges, and have been using danger rooms to make up for the shitty sparring system that seems to break half the time. Is there a way to undo the changes to traps that made them so dangerous for danger rooms?

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48:00 am »

So apparently danger rooms are... incredibly dangerous... with Masterwork. Is there an option to disable this? I'm still getting used to the game and sieges, and have been using danger rooms to make up for the shitty sparring system that seems to break half the time. Is there a way to undo the changes to traps that made them so dangerous for danger rooms?

There's an option to turn on/off weaker traps, if that's what you're after. I use a danger room, as the alternative is rediculous, and don't have any problems - apart from the eggs running in to grab ddecayed clothes etc. and dying. But if you watch it it should be OK. I normally have the dwarves have full body iron at least before trying the room though. Not so much because they might die, but because they might not train the relevant skills, not sure.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: MASTERWORK Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.2 - for 34.10 MAC UPDATE
« Reply #4601 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:15 pm »

@Zenebuferen
 I was just using the Leatherworker's Workshop, which is in vanilla. Everything else makes bags, drake scale makes chests.

In other news, my weaponsmith went secretive and claimed an iridium bar. Then he started shouting for cloth. I used dfhack to check which kind he wanted. Plant fiber.  Don't have it. Great. Fortunately, the caravan came, and I bought some. Now let's see what I get.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

Aren't danger rooms a plain and simple way to cheat?  ???
I'm not an expert, but aren't there alternatives to sparring? And is sparring really broken or It's simply too slow?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:04 pm »

Aren't danger rooms a plain and simple way to cheat?  ???
I'm not an expert, but aren't there alternatives to sparring? And is sparring really broken or It's simply too slow?
Training is pretty broken. Repeatedly stabbing your dwarves to make them better fighters is dwarfy enough to warrant returns I prefer to capture enemies and create an arena but cage traps are OP too.

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: May 25, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »

so quick question. is there a way to choose who dies for armok in my magma temple of armok? i just had my priest kill himself which is no biggy. but i just want to know if the preist always kills himself so i can kill useless workers.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 749