Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838656 times)

Asva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.1 - for 34.09 :)
« Reply #4440 on: May 21, 2012, 12:32:35 pm »

The problem:
I have 4 pipes of green glass(also tested iron, gabbro(magmasafe), obsidian) and everything else required for great magma forge.
But I can't build the great magma forge (it shows me I need 4 pipes). I tried to switch [FIRE_BUILD_SAFE] to [MAGMA_BUILD_SAFE], which wasn't helpful. Only after erasing [FIRE_BUILD_SAFE] was I able to build the forge.

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you, the community, like where the mod is going ? Do you like the latest changes, from 1.7 to 1.9 ? What is good, what is bad, what would you have done differently ? Anything you like to see added, changed ?

I really love the things that Masterwork does to close economic cycles - things like the crematory, which allows trash to be burned to make useful ash, or the boneyard allowing us to make flux out of bones.

I love the things Masterwork does to make things convenient.  Having the ability to make obsidian in a building, rather than a complicated fps destroying obsidian farm, is the one that ranks the highest for me.  The clutter reducing efforts of Masterwork are also notable for the convenience they add.

I also like the flavourful things that Masterwork adds.  Libraries for training skills adds in a nice dimension of literacy to dwarven society, which makes them more "dwarfy" to me.  (Dwarfs without books just seemed wrong to me.)  More interesting trading and being able to buy blueprints, special materials, pets etc. from each civ makes me more engaged with the other civs.  Now I really work hard getting worlds with surviving elf and drow civs in them.  Golems, armoured pets, frost giants, carp cultists, and the ability to make things out of slade are also very flavourful things.

Overall, I like the way Masterwork is going.  In the time I've been following the mod, every release has managed to include something that makes me say "yeah, I have to have this!"

I think the biggest thing that I dislike about Masterwork is the clutter it adds to the game.  For example, there are alot of enemies that it adds in that are eminently forgettable.  I would like to see some of these culled out, and more energy focused on a few enemies that could challenge your fortress at different levels in interesting ways.  Another example is the wealth of iron and steel substitutes in the game.  For me having ironwood, steeloak, iron, steel, ironbone, bloodsteel and meteoric, which are all basically iron and steel under a multitude of names, just cheapens the importance of good dwarven steel.

I would love to see Masterworks try harder to achieve realism.  One of my favorite things about Dwarf Fortress is the way it tries to make a real and believable world (albeit a world with warped and twisted logic to it).  For example, it bothers me that the arc furnace needs no electrical infrastructure to make it work - it's just a special sort of magma furnace.  I'd love to see the arc furnace instead need power from waterwheels or windmills, magnets, copper wire, ball-bearings, etc., on top of the normal furnace requirements, to represent the furnace having a mighty electrical generator as part of it.  The same with the stone grinding reactions - it seems wrong that grinding a boulder does not need mechanical power (though considering how well dwarfs can pump, a single dwarf probably is strong enough to grind up a whole boulder in a few ticks).  I'd also like to see alchemy having more actual chemistry in it, rather than being a basically magical process as it is currently.

I also dislike how "magical" Masterworks is.  This one is surely about my personal taste as I know plenty of people want more magic in their dwarf fortress games, but I would really love some options in the GUI setup for Masterworks to remove more of the magical fluff than one can currently remove.  High on the list for that is magical alchemy and the overabundance of magical metals (which from a thematic point of view, mostly have the effect of making steel less interesting, and less worthy of producing - particularly since steel has a complex production chain).  The magical temples and dwarven magicians are also things that I just find un-dwarfy. 

I would like to see the magical things in Masterworks tied with things you have to get from enemies or other civs.  For example, making slade more like birfrost, so a player has to dig down to hell and kill some demons in order to harvest their bones and forge weapons of ultra-heavy EPIC would add alot of flavour to what is otherwise just a fairly simple reaction in a magma smelter.  This would also link back to making enemies more interesting - if looting the corpses of warlocks to steal their unholy artifacts is the only way of making alchemy labs or temples of the deep, it makes a warlock siege that much more engaging.

Other things I'd like to see:

*Simplified clothing - I'd clothe my dwarfs in one-piece jumpsuits if I could, but replacing trousers and socks with leggings would still be a huge step up.

*A use for toys - perhaps as something to train children in skills, or to just keep children or dwarfs busy.

*A low-powered option for dwarf religion and music.  A temple and a music stage that just made dwarfs happy, and maybe had some special tantrum-calming abilities, would be a nice low-power alternative option for those of us who don't like the powerful magical effects dwarven music and religion currently have, but who like the idea of there being dwarven music and religion.

*Getting rid of boozebelly goats, and introducing the ability to brew milk like the mean, magma-riding rock-mongols that our dorfs are!

To sum up, I think Masterworks is a very interesting mod and I stand in awe of the vigor with which you go at it.  What Masterworks already adds to the game is amazing, and I think really the biggest improvement that can be made is to refine what is already in your mod. 

fasquardon

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: May 21, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »

While I disagree on a few specifics ( I like the magic system, and don't really care about realism, if I wanted that I would play vanilla DF, also I like the multitude of ways to get steel), fasguardon pretty well sums up my feelings on the mod, I think rather than major new additions, refining those currently in the game would be a major plus, tracking down that "Illithids crash the game during wordlgen bug" would be lovely.

Honestly I'll keep playing the mod no matter what you decide to do with it Meph, cause it's awesome, but if I had to choose I would go with bugfixing and refining elements already in game as well.

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: May 21, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

So how do I farm trees in this?  I  noticed I have plenty of seeds but no idea how to plant them.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

So how do I farm trees in this?  I  noticed I have plenty of seeds but no idea how to plant them.

Trees are like any other kind of outdoor crop. Designate a farm plot outside, tell your farmers to plant 'small trees' (you might need to scroll down a page on the crop selection menu) and wait. After about 1/2 to a full year later, the trees will become harvestable and your farmers will pick them and store them in your food stockpile. From there, you que up a 'cut small tree' job at your timber yard. (This require the woodcutting skill)Then viola, logs for your use. A decent sized treefarm can support you entire smelting industry if you set it up correctly.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: May 21, 2012, 02:34:37 pm »

@ fasquardon and Panopticon

The absolute best thing about Masterwork is that you can turn things off or on to suit your needs / desires / playstyle / whatever.  You do not like some of the enemies, turn them off.  Same for the buildings and magic.  You do not have to play it with every option selected.  In fact, for enemies it is recommended that you only play with a few of them. 

I know for some stuff it is impossible to turn it on or off.  I am not sure if the different iron and steel sources are included in that but if they are you still have the choice of whether or not to use them.

The demon bone idea is very cool.  I have never actually managed to kill a demon...usually once I break open a candy tube it is more like an upwards flow of death and fun.

I also like the idea of having some of the high end buildings require electricity.  In the years I have been playing DF I have not once set up electricity.  This would definitely give me a reason.

A use for toys would be good also.  Not sure why they are in the game at all as they really serve no purpose othere than give something else to sell to the vendors.  Wait, didn't Meph make some toys components of other things? 

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: May 21, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »

man. as much as i love this mod. i crash a lot. i kill a bunch of goblins who are ambushing or troglodytes. and  my pc freezes. i use to play vanila df with about 5 dwarfs fighting off a bunch of goblins and no crash. but this mod makes me crash. i set dwarf fort priority to real time.  i cleaned the map of blood.

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: May 21, 2012, 02:48:37 pm »

Thanks for the info on farming trees.  I thought it might something with outdoor farming but I can't get outdoor farms working just keeps telling me I don't have seeds go figure.  I work it out some how.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: May 21, 2012, 03:05:29 pm »

man. as much as i love this mod. i crash a lot. i kill a bunch of goblins who are ambushing or troglodytes. and  my pc freezes. i use to play vanila df with about 5 dwarfs fighting off a bunch of goblins and no crash. but this mod makes me crash. i set dwarf fort priority to real time.  i cleaned the map of blood.
How's your FPS? If it's not super low I can't imagine it's crashing because of too many units or blood on the screen you might have a bad install.
Thanks for the info on farming trees.  I thought it might something with outdoor farming but I can't get outdoor farms working just keeps telling me I don't have seeds go figure.  I work it out some how.
Are you embarking on a mountain?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: May 21, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

i spoke with splinterz about his branch of DT and castes...

incorporating castes into the attribute and trait role ratings may become a goal, currently they are read into memory, but the vanilla raws for traits/attributes are used to measure role ratings

vx10000222

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: May 21, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »

Dude For some reason when im Genning a new world (Even the master preset ones) I cant go past 90-110 years, any ideas why?

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you, the community, like where the mod is going ? Do you like the latest changes, from 1.7 to 1.9 ? What is good, what is bad, what would you have done differently ? Anything you like to see added, changed ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I agreee with all this dwarf said, even the "personal taste" part.
I'd add that one of the things I appreciate most of this mod is the little bits to "optimize" the DF experience (better combat logs, better fonts, better workshops orders, better cloting system, optimized materials, etc..)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:34:36 pm by Gatallorsith »

jesusmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

yeah, I play with both good and evil elves, but I just thought it was another elven civ... on another note, this isn't normal, right?

edit: DEAR GOD WHY ARE THEY ALL FLASHING INTO L'S NOW :o

is that what the AoE addition does to them?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:52:43 pm by jesusmod »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4453 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Mh... triple named golems ? What exactly is he, a swordgolem ?

*Simplified clothing - I'd clothe my dwarfs in one-piece jumpsuits if I could, but replacing trousers and socks with leggings would still be a huge step up.

*A use for toys - perhaps as something to train children in skills, or to just keep children or dwarfs busy.

Both cant be done with modding, same goes for electrizity/power for workshops. Would love to, but cant. Clothing must be these 4 items, doesnt matter what it covers, children cant be modded (much) and I havent quite figured out a way to make toys useful. I am playing with the thought of making all toys into one, called: Toy. This is an exceptional iron toy. Done.

I will consider more realisms and a complete overhaul/refining of the mod, just prepping a big post about it. Be patient.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 -NEW POLL
« Reply #4454 on: May 21, 2012, 05:30:02 pm »

9th Granite - It is raining sheep's milk!
14th Granite - It is raining sheep's milk!
24th Granite - It is raining honey bee honey!
3rd Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!
12th Slate - It is raining honey bee honey!
21st Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!
28th Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!

¬_¬
it rained honey on my fortress also
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 749