Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838421 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile

A late reply to you question about the mod in general Meph, I've only been playing DF for a couple months but I love all the extra goodies in this mod. It really didn't take me long to build everything in the original and see most of the features so I was really glad to see this mod. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test all the features of this mod due to all the Fun! I've been having. I died of thirst in a volcanic world, Frogmen, Badgermen, Minotaurs, Snakemen with war dragons  (turned of Fortress Defence at this point but I now build a fort with some kick ass intrinsic defences!). Downloaded 1.8.1 and suffered badly from rage and vomiting, now ready to try again!

I do like the Tears of Armok, I managed to irrigate the dried up ponds of a dessert embark which was fun, be good if you could re-mount them once you've dug it out to make a spring, maybe need to recharge it now and then.

I like the plagues but they need to be more slow burning to give you a chance to build the right wards and maybe less common, I think I might have got 2-3 infected people in one migration wave as I certainly got more then 5% go berserk. Vomiting is too profuse, the message spam on 100 dwarfs wiped out all my announcements and I couldn't see any fighting reports with the constant vomiting. Although the green tracing was interesting to see where my dwarves go!

Tree farms are cool and so is the rock crafting stuff, makes the un-embarkable embarkable.

I figured that searching the manual isn't much good after the basics, I looked at the .png guides but there is still a lot of stuff you basically have to search this thread for. Still I understand with stuff moving so quickly you could either be working on it or updating a manual which will be changed as soon as you finished working on the manual!

All in all I think it's an excellent mod and a great addition to the game which I wouldn't like to play without and I'd be glad to keep giving you my feedback on features. Please take any criticism in the spirit that it's meant, as feedback on an alpha aimed at improving the end product. 

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile

Re-reading your posts in my van at work Meph, I have tested volcanic world, it doesn't look too bad until you realize there is basically no rain ever! Then there is a mad rush to find water or drain ponds before they evaporate.

Although I like your world setting ideas I tend to make my own as I like medium sized worlds and a little less minirals.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh god. I just butchered my first goblin. It's a bit disturbing how their meat effortlessly blends in with the rest of the meat. You'd think goblin meat would have a distinctive taste or something. :P

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hi guys i have a serious problem with the mod right now. which is sad as i played this mod when it first came out and then took a break but now i want to get back in. anyway the problem is this. my dwarfs are goblins instead of dwarfs. when i read their description it has the dwarven ones as well. i didint tinker with the creature standard other then make them have some skills be legendary. but thats it. i want to pos ta picture not sure how to.

zenfiero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing 1.8, and I can't seem to make a guild hall! I checked the changelog and it seems they've been removed. Is there another way to add dwarves to castes, or am I limited only to what dwarves arrive pre-casted?

Also, I suppose it's probably not possible to simply copy over my save into 1.9 and have it all work cozy-cozy?

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing 1.8, and I can't seem to make a guild hall! I checked the changelog and it seems they've been removed. Is there another way to add dwarves to castes, or am I limited only to what dwarves arrive pre-casted?

Also, I suppose it's probably not possible to simply copy over my save into 1.9 and have it all work cozy-cozy?

Depends what you mean by work... You should get minecarts, but you wont get the 1.9 goodness. For that you will need to gen a new world.

hi guys i have a serious problem with the mod right now. which is sad as i played this mod when it first came out and then took a break but now i want to get back in. anyway the problem is this. my dwarfs are goblins instead of dwarfs. when i read their description it has the dwarven ones as well. i didint tinker with the creature standard other then make them have some skills be legendary. but thats it. i want to pos ta picture not sure how to.

To insert an image, it need to be uploaded first. such as at imgur.com it will then give you a direct link that you copy then paste between the img tags. As for your problem, did you generate a new world or are you using an old one? Possibly the issue could be the gfx pack as well. Did you change this after genning the world?

Oh god. I just butchered my first goblin. It's a bit disturbing how their meat effortlessly blends in with the rest of the meat. You'd think goblin meat would have a distinctive taste or something. :P
Tastes like kittens.

Re-reading your posts in my van at work Meph, I have tested volcanic world, it doesn't look too bad until you realize there is basically no rain ever! Then there is a mad rush to find water or drain ponds before they evaporate.

Although I like your world setting ideas I tend to make my own as I like medium sized worlds and a little less minirals.
The size of the built-in worlds can be changed easily (i,u,p,o before world creation), the minerals and other settings can be changed as well Just hit 'e' before you start creating the world and scroll down to mineral scarcity. I tend to play on a tweaked Gaia myself.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:57:20 am by zenerbufen »

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the upload, Meph. Currently relearning the basic game mechanics and having ??FUN?? with minecarts (only question marks as I've thankfully had no accidents yet, mostly just derailed carts and incorrect dumps.)

That said, I did run into several more duplicate hotkeys in several workshops in 1.81 (since its a new version, I'm not sure these are still relevant as I haven't advanced far enough to recheck in the current version). I found dupes in the Armory (steel plate and steel armor), Tanner (leather strips and boil leather) and the Weaponry (make steel bayonets and set steel bayonets).

On the subject of ore (over)abundance, I think it's only a 'problem' because the default is set to 200. I personally don't have a problem with it as I like having a lot of metals and actually had a little trouble in my last fort last version as hematite did not appear in metamorphic or igneous rock. Only had some pockets of meteoric to hold me over, thank goodness for metal crate trading.

I don't remember tetrahidrite giving out iron though... Recent change?

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile

Zen, thanks I'll have another go at that, when I tried to change the world size it reset the parameters but if you say it can be done then it probably can! Still I did enjoy learning how the advanced options worked.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I may be getting ahead of this, but how long do you think it will take to adapt this for the new bugfix patch?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

EDIT: Ok, here we go: Everything you can produce in a reaction the dwarven caravan gets as well. There is no way to disable this, since you are both the same entity, the same civ. If you can make slademantine, then so can they. And in worldgen the reaction ignore all reagents, so without access to adamantine, the dwarven civ still has unlimited slademantine to trade. I cant balance this. I would love to, but I cant. Buying Mithril early from traders will ramp up your fort value, and that should lead to more invasions.

Hmm, ok, that makes sense.  I was thinking of candy, and how that doesn't appear on traders, so I assumed the same could be done to other metals.  I guess candy is an exception?  For the most part, yes, mithril I caravan-mine.  Steel I also get from caravans, but I'd say its only to supplement and stockpile, as my own steel industry is usually well in gear before the caravans get large enough to really contribute (I tend to keep fort value low my first three years or so, then ramp, to be ready defensively for the FD sieges).  Curious - why then do mithril anvils appear, but not copper?  Mithril anvils are a major source of my mithril.  Perhaps if its value was increased; its pretty easy to purchase early on.

So what you say is that the new metals are too easy to make, mostly be trading I presume. And you think the volcanic is unbalanced. The thing is: I mostly do balancing by the reports I get. If people say it is too easy, I make it harder, if people say it is too hard, I make it easier. The diseases for example, those I will trim down for the 34.09 release. As I often say: You are the test players. I got 5 reports about diseases being unbalanced, so I will work on the issue, develope a better system, and in the meantime turn them OFF by default. I did leave them ON by default so far, so I do get more test reports ;)

I haven't played with volcanic yet, but that's my suspicion, that it'll be too easy (and this is just one IMHO, no more, no less).  Diving to the magma sea is often done by second year of embark.  It takes a lot of reactions, but none of the components seem that hard.  I like the idea of volcanic, but ideally it should be tied to something later in the life of a fortress, do you see what I am saying?  I don't think my first squad would start in steel at all, I'd probably start them in volcanic.  That is what I like about bifrost - it is tied to a lategame creature.  Its something to look forward to.  If volcanic could somehow be tied to midgame, that'd be ideal.  Or, maybe just make it more resource intensive and make the player really sweat out the decision to make the Forge - maybe it takes many bars of steel and a few mithril bars or items made of those things?  Maybe more than one steel bar needed per volcanic item built?  That makes it a tougher decision, particularly if the player is 'rushing' the Forge too early.

Tetrahide should produce less coarse_iron you say ? But yeah, I did mod the game in a way that each embark should have iron and flux.

I'm not sure what to suggest re: tetra.  My comment was mostly about how MW makes hematite a lesser ore compared to classic DF, because tetra gives you as much iron as hematite (correct me if I'm wrong), plus a bonus copper.  In a way, yes, that seems like a good solution to have tetra give slightly less iron, now that the reactions have changed.  Tetra is everywhere, it is most players source of iron, and that easy iron becomes MW's easy source of steel.  So less bars from tetra will slow down the steel production a tad.  Personally, I prefer MW's style of iron&flux at every embark vs classic DF, it results in a better game and less embark searching.  But it does result in very early steel because the components are so easy to locate in the first year and I think that is what I am getting at - I like the guaranteed steel components on every embark , but I dislike that I am able to easily have all my dwarves outfitted before the first siege.

And again, you gave me a report about harder smelting being to hard. People seem to think that way, purely because there is no way to avoid the accidents. It seems that I can add stuff that is as hard as I like, as long as I give you a counter-measurement. But as soon as something cant be handled, it is disliked.

It's not too hard, that's not what I meant.  Its the blood all over the fort from the afflicted smelters.  I'm just giving you feedback on why I disable that feature, because it was becoming a regular trip to dfhack clean.  Sorry if I mentioned it before, I didn't mean to harp on it.

Oh geez, just saw that you posted some changes from my feedback, DAMN you work quick!!!  Quick reaction - I like the ore changes (personally, tetra as a source of iron was odd, and these changes will put the mod closer inline with a classic DF player's expectations - see SeigeOps last post as example), I like the flux/steel change; my problem with smelting sickness is simply that I hate the blood all over the fort (the smelter I could care less about, haha) so even at lesser frequency I'll personally have it off; silver bars to volcanic is a good step and I'll be happy to test on my next fort.  I love the whole aether idea of essences from megabeasts, and would love to see you further mature that concept.  It really gives fun incentive to kill the things rather than wall them off, etc.  Personally I'd prefer to have essences that can be used in many things (I like choices), but are a tad less 'legendary' in outcome.  Overall I like those set of changes!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:00:50 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

I don't remember tetrahidrite giving out iron though... Recent change?

No, its actually been there awhile.  I personally noticed in my first fort in MW (forget the version but it was many versions ago) because there was no hematite on my map at all, and I was trying to get my first squad in quick sets of copper armor.  So I was smelting tetra away... then started noticing my bar stockpile filling with coarse iron bars.  You get 1 bar of coarse iron and a bar of copper out of every tetra.  Hematite, I believe, produces only one coarse iron bar. 

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you've already made the changes to make steel a bit harder to get, but honestly I never saw having a decent amount of steel as that big a problem.

First off, getting a full squad of steel armor from tetrahedrite requires a ton of smelting, which leads to a lot of injured dwarves with harder smelting turned on.  I just recently in an hour last night lost 2 peasants in my smelting farm to random 'So and so has suffocated to death' which I can only assume was due to the fires they started.  There's no combat log but there's a hell of a lot of smoke so I assume that did it.  And with harder smithing on you need even MORE of it than normal.

Second off, I've lost very decent well trained steel covered warriors with candy axes when a warlock ambush shows up and suffocates 2 dwarves to death in 1 or 2 spells (I honestly don't know why I turned warlocks back on, they always cause me nothing but grief).  Steel didn't seem to help them all that much.  Likewise I've had steel clad dwarves cut down by bows and arrows in no time.   Full disclosure:  I play with all FD races turned on because I prefer the challenge and the greater pool of potential enemies so I understand my dwarves may have tougher than average conditions, and I accept that risk.  Steel is certainly not saving my dwarves as my almost fully clad steel brigade (not in plate mail, I haven't figured out how armories work yet, that's my next goal) routinely lose 20-30% of their numbers against any combat I throw them into.   I can only imagine how dead they'd be if I had nothing but copper and bronze.

Also, my limiting factor has always been flux, but then I tend to pick embark areas for flavor and not based on what's there.  But having to wait til the next seige so you can grind up the bones of your enemies to make more steel has been a decent limiting factor in my last 3 forts.  Not to mention a great visual image.

From a balance point of view I did think it was odd tetrahedrite was so bloody useful for iron, but then I've had 1-2 forts now where that's the only metal I've had, so being able to, slowly, make steel was a life saver for a little bit anyway. 

The thing I love about Masterwork is there are lots of options and different paths to get where you need to be.   Tetrahedrite is just another option for getting steel (very slowly at that).   Personally I'm a big fan of more options and it's saved my rather crappy embarks quite a lot of headache.

Edit after reading Werdna's reply.  I'm also probably not very good at DF.  It takes me at least 2-3 years to get a a full squad of steel soldiers and I've usually gotten 2-3 sieges before then.   I might be ramping my fort value up too high.  I'll check into that.  I just don' tknow how to survive without buying a ton off the first few caravans  :-)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Srial, I use the included worlds and they always seem to generate a 3z layer of flux before the first cavern.  And when I say layer, I mean layer!  Its possible I've simply been lucky on my world gens but I seem to get them so reliably that I have been digging down to them on all my forts, and building my fort in those layers (I love stuff made out of marble!). 

Steel certainly doesn't make the game EZ mode.  It's DF after all, and MW in particular has tons of baddies that can trash you every which way.  But - its still 10x better than not having steel, and having your dwarves hospitalized or killed by animals, or losing a limb to a random kobold thief that fights back.  Its also night vs day versus most invader races - stranglers and beak wolves and war wolves are completely outclassed vs steel, so are melee goblins, etc.

I forgot about the burning smelters - last I played with that option, they only bled?  Here's something funny - I would rather have a burning furnace operator, than one endlessly coughing blood all over my fort!  My furnace operators are always designated from my useless migrants, and I never care much about losing them.  A burning furnace operator is entertaining at least.  :)

I deal with warlocks with marksdwarves btw, much safer.  Bow and arrows are a known issue in classic, they're deadly even vs candy armor - I use marksdwarves and fortifications to deal with them; or if with melee, the trick is to pop the melee on them somehow at pointblank range.  You never want melee approaching archers across open ground.

I agree that the FD races*, and the MW races as well, make MW harder by default (and potentially extremely hard by choice) than classic in the invader aspect.  However, MW does add turrets and mastiffs and the like to the player's side of the ledger. 

* I've played with FD since it first came out, and it is what helped hone my playing style.  If you keep fort value low, and buy only what you need (and with a good embark strat, you shouldn't need much!), you can have both a well-trained melee squad, a squad or two of marksdwarves, and the fort kill zones to back them up before the first serious sieges.  Its not intuitive to be stingy with the first caravans, but it really does give you prep time before hitting the siege triggers.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:27:59 am by Werdna »

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ok now im really playing as goblins the description even says so. i have not changed the graphics after creating a world im still using asc 2 + which i created the world with. heres a pic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
what line in creature standard do i have to edit for playing as a dwarf?  creature standard still has dwarf. i even looked at entity_default and it says [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] im really confused please help.

[CREATURE:DWARF]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

@moisesjns: You said you modded the creature standard, so my best guess at a fix would be this: Take a fresh copy and replace your modded files. OR post them here, the entity_default at least.

@werdna & srial: Flux should be on every map, same as everything else you need. The evil swamp world and the  volcanic world are a bit tougher, but if people play the Garden of Gaia or the Good-Region world, then they offer everything you could ever want for. Diseases are more rare now, till I figure out a nicer way for them. I want doctors running around, and the diseases coming up from animals as well. Chicken giving bird flu, rat bites giving the plague and to on. Maybe even spoiler/rotten food, but I dont know how to fit this into modding yet.

Tetrahide was an or of iron 50% btw, not 100%. You did get 1 bar for 2 ores you smelted, but that changed now. Only Hematite now, but this is more common to reflect that change. I will also try for immolation in the smelter accidents, have actual fire started. That did work on the surface and in the caverns btw, but not on rock-floor.

@torasque666: I am done with the 34.09 update. The thing is: Therapist, Mouse Fortress and dfhack are not.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 749