Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838262 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excuse me, this will be a very uncharacteristic outbreak of ranting and nerdrage, BUT:

How in hell can anyone think that 25 evil races vs. 4 good races can in any way be balanced ? I get so many reports from people saying: Oh, my, the races are inbalanced, the dwarves die... oh, and btw, I enabled 20 quadrillion invaders. The game is designed to have ONE, and just ONE evil race, goblins. And 3 good ones. Now I did my best and balanced 4 good and 5 evil races against each other, and it works. When do people realize that I do not mod the Fortress Defense mod, that even clearly states that it is inbalanced ? When do people realize that it makes no sense to enable ALL the races. Thats just ridiculus, take 2-3, play with default and you have 5, play with more and it is no surprise that the good ones get overrun.

/rant.

Sorry for that, and that you, jesusmod, were the target, but enough is enough. This question was asked and answered just a few pages ago. And before that... and before that... and so on. About the rest: dragons dont kill themselves with their own dragonfire, but can die by dragonfire of another creature. Spawn of Hollistic I would rewrite of course. 

EDIT: PS: There is a difference between    [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION and [IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION], so the idea to bless dwarves so they are not made zombies would work.

The world of Shadytorments did fine* with all the invaders on, so a lucky embark IS still possible even in those extreme conditions.

*by DF standards
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you want more dwarve civs, you just have to change these lines:
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100][MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000][MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]

You dont need any duplicate civs, I had worlds with 3 dwarven civs. No problem. I could edit this to make dwarves appear more often, but then again that would affect the working balancing I have now with the default races. It would only make sense if you want to play a giant world, with 100 civs and all races enabled. Please bear in mind that a civ is not the same as a race/entity. There can be multiple civs for each entity.

All graphic packs and utilities (Therapist, Mouse Fortress) are updated, the raws are done, I personally tested minecarts, and I added Bladed/siked, weaponized minecarts. So all that is missing is still dfhack. And yes, I will wait for this, since I want to check the version with prospect and reveal before I upload anything.

Hey Meph, just like to say that I've been playing modded games for many moons (since the Oblivion days) and you have got to be one of the most helpful and considerate modders I've ever encountered! They way you sorted out that guy with the leather bound books so quickly was very impressive, I think a lot of people don't realise how good they have it with this mod.

Thank you a lot for this :) I still dislike the fact that some people get random crashes, and I cant figure out how or why. In 2 weeks time I will have a greater breack from coding though, for about 3 months. You are warned, my RL will take precedence over DF. I will still be around to answer question and bugfix/update to new df versions though. But I dont think that many new features will be done.

Speaking of new features, I added 3 things to the todo list:
Realisitc diseases, like bird flu from chickens, plagues started by rat-bites and such...
Custom artefacts, named weapons or items with a custom descriptions and stories on them...
A MasterworkDF Tileset, although I seem to be a terrible noob and cant get the transparency right... ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

The world of Shadytorments did fine* with all the invaders on, so a lucky embark IS still possible even in those extreme conditions.

He is not saying they're impossible, he's just (rightfully) saying that any ensuing 'difficulty' is on you, not him.  Maybe the settings launcher needs to pop up a warning if FD races are selected.  :)

How exactly do tree farms work? They seem to take more then a season to grow trees and I never see them mature into trees for cutting in the timber yard. I looked in the manual but I can only find scraps of information mostly about the options on the launcher.

I'm having the same problem on 34.07.  I am in an arctic embark, have a farm underground (never seen light), seasonal fertilize, small fungiwood for all seasons.  It appears to have been seeded, but never grown a single tree as far as I can tell. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Draevos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How exactly do tree farms work? They seem to take more then a season to grow trees and I never see them mature into trees for cutting in the timber yard. I looked in the manual but I can only find scraps of information mostly about the options on the launcher.

I'm having the same problem on 34.07.  I am in an arctic embark, have a farm underground (never seen light), seasonal fertilize, small fungiwood for all seasons.  It appears to have been seeded, but never grown a single tree as far as I can tell. 

They grow, trust me :). They just take several seasons. It's the catch of being able to grow huge fields underground at your leisure instead of having to go the the surface or the caverns to get trees. To get the wood from them you have to use the timberyard, though. I embarked on a map with a volcano and no trees or any vegetation, so I used huge underground tree farms for when I needed wood, and I made A LOT of things out of stone.

SUCH IS MASTERWORK!!!

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Meph

A little how-to on creating tilesets WITH transparency:

This tutorial will be using GIMP version 2.6.11 (http://www.gimp.org/, just in case you dont know it). All screenshots will be in german, but that should not prove to be a problem for you, right? Also all of the menu options will be german, since I cant really translate them.

Spoiler: Step 1: Basics (click to show/hide)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

They grow, trust me :). They just take several seasons. It's the catch of being able to grow huge fields underground at your leisure instead of having to go the the surface or the caverns to get trees. To get the wood from them you have to use the timberyard, though. I embarked on a map with a volcano and no trees or any vegetation, so I used huge underground tree farms for when I needed wood, and I made A LOT of things out of stone.

OK, good to know!  Totally ok with long growth times, even makes sense being tree-like and all.  I'm just not used to farming that crosses multiple seasons. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Draevos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OK, good to know!  Totally ok with long growth times, even makes sense being tree-like and all.  I'm just not used to farming that crosses multiple seasons.
Yeah, it's apparently in this "manual" Meph keeps talking about which I am too lazy to read... :P There's probably more useful stuff in there too...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the gimp tutorial, but I know how I do transparency. It just shows up strangely ingame, with some things not looking like they should. For example I just cant seem to duplicate the spike "animation" that phoebus has, with my tileset it is just a always on, or off.

Oh, and treefarming, took me about 5 mintues:

PS: Sometimes I think I should abandon the manual, and only do graphical guides. :P

EDIT: Appearently I am very bad at letting go of old ideas. I did remove the Magma Refinery and Factory, but I still think a Magma.only tech would be very nice to have... so here you go, this is just an idea so far, but I like it more then the old stuff I removed.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:23:32 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The guide looks really nice. :D

Can't wait for the update. :'( I'm so looking forward to the new version of DF and the mod.^^

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there somewhere where all the pretty graphical guides to buildings (like the treefarm .png file you just posted) that you have made for the masterwork mod can be found Meph?

And thanks muchly for all your work on the Masterwork mod - I'm only just getting started with it, but already it has really helped me with learning how to mod the game for myself!

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

In your \MasterworkDF 1.8.1\Guides & Readmes\Building Guides folder.

The treefarm guide obviously not yet :P But next release will have it.

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe that fertilizer changes the stack size produced by a plant instead of reducing growth time.  Do the various farmed trees produce more wood with greater stack size from skilled farmers?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You are correct.
Fertilizing a farm plot increases the yield (the number of plants that grow in each planted tile). The exact improvement is not known

The stacks of trees that grow will be handled as stacks. If you get 5 steeloaks and refine them, yes, you do get 5 steel bars.

Zyxterman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I tried use this "Masterwork" today ... and configurator says "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application".
Upgdated .Net - same message.
Uninstaled Framework, tryng different versions ... version 3.5 pass the checks, but still not working. Program offloaded from memory after sec without any messages.
Updated 3.5 to 4.0 - configurator working.

So: Masterwork Settings.exe need a part from 3.5 Framework and part from 4.0.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile

glasses for the impaired
blankets for more comfort and bedroom quality
cooling system
heating system
death beds
fleas
ticks
umbrellas
grappling hook
basket weaving
keys for doors
keys for other
doors with keyholes
clock
spike gun (shoots spikes and spears and can be held!)
tea
mind control
paper fans
schools
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 749