Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837742 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose so...guess my biggest worry was that I couldn't play it like vanilla and branch out as I go...will fire it up tonight I suppose and gen myself a nice long world

jesusmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction TRANSMUTE_ARMOK
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: ARMOK_METAL
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction ARMOK_DRINK
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: TEARS_OF_ARMOK

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it looks fine to me, I don't know what's wrong here.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose so...guess my biggest worry was that I couldn't play it like vanilla and branch out as I go...will fire it up tonight I suppose and gen myself a nice long world

My personal two cents is the only thing I turn off from the Masterwork defaults is harder smelting.  Sure having dwarven babies catch on fire and suffocate while their parents smelt that 200 Tetrahedrite as everyone bleeds everywhere coating your fortress a lovely, permament red SOUNDS like a good idea.... but the clean up is immense.

That being said, it did get my doctors a lot of training in hospital and toughened up my dwarves emotionally a bit, so I suppose it's not all bad.  All of the other harder options I found to be walks in the park compared to harder smelting though.  *shivers*  Granted I've never found coal to worry about dust or warpstone though in my last 3 Masterwork fort so I have no idea how bad harder mining might be.

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trying out 1.8 right now, found a minor 'error'. I was able to buy steel-clad horses from the embark screen. Will keep playing to see what's new. Love the mod, even though I turn off most of the 'difficulty options'.

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page

Hey, there's a few things with the Brewery. Is it supposed to only take single barrels of 25 drink? It won't take 5 barrels of 5 for example.

You can't spice Mead either, though I figure that's because it's impossible to get a stack of 25.

Do you think we can grind bodyparts and vermin into sausages?

Are sentients supposed to be butcherable by default? My guys are eating goblin steak burritos after a seige.
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

@siegeops: That is intented :)

@jesusmod: you have harder mining off... it also removed the 3 magic gems. I linked them to it, to give people a reason to leave it on. ;) Evil, evil me...

@dennislp: Thats what the launcher is for. You can turn off 90% of the mod. But the basis is still vanilla DF. Just with more of everything, optional. Hope you will have fun.

@lewa: The ironclad animals were missing in the ironhand and ascii raws... ups... fixed it.

@dwarf_fever: Thanks for the headsup. I did remove stainless steel a few versions back, seems its still somewhere in the manual ?

@Szarrukin: If it is based on ascii, yes. Just turn ascii on and add it yourself, just copy the -png or bmp into the data/art folder. :)

I did some testing because of the crash reports from worldgen. Couldnt reproduce them, tried 5 worldgens, 2 of them custom, 3 of them standard worldgen. All small worlds (remember, netbook) and between 100 and 500 years. I tried 5 with phoebus, 5 with ascii and 5 with ironhand, all with TTF on and the default settings. No crashes. Sorry guys, if you have them, then please give me more data. I guess it is caused by the settings you have, but I cant test all of them, with by now over 7000 combinations. I can only assure that the default settings are tried and tested, and cause no crashes at worldgen.

worldgen pic

I also finished the Boneyard. Make bone into crafts and furniture, basic weapons/armor, make a bonerattle, blocks for constructions and an alternate way to make metal. Ash, Blood, Fuel and Bone combined makes nice bloodsteel. :) I also moved the "bone to flux" reaction from the kitchen to there, seems only fitting. The Altar of Armok got some new stuff, both old reactions (offer life/offer blood) are now more interesting, and I added offerings for meat, alcohol, ash, totems and bone. Hope this fits the idea of Armok well. You can recieve drinks, food and special wood from these.

I improved combatlogs for unarmed dwarves, mostly for wrestlers. No new combat skills, only flavor, but I hope you like it. Wicker blocks can be made in the Thatchery, used for thatched constructions. A new optional color setting is included in the GUI, you can now enable vherids color scheme whenever you like. Rock and gemtip javelins can be made, and I continued a bit with the workshop overhaul, the Javelin Caster was barely used. Ever. Now it can make broadhead, hammerhead and piercing bolts and arrows as well, and the old javelins are a bit cheaper. Libraries, which are quite unused as well I guess (?) train now twice as fast. I plan to make a little something for the "epic/rare/named" books as well, changing mental stats. You could give your doctor the mental stat: "Likes helping others" for example, if I understood it correctly.

Last thing I did is a little test reaction that works beautifully. I spawned toxic landmines in workshops, works as intended. I have no system set up yet, but this will be the next thing. Landmines and turrets you can make yourself. Later maybe using Illithid brains for mind-control/spawning of thrulls/thralls, and magic seeds you can buy from elves to spawn a couple of "guard trees/treants". Any other ideas are welcome as well, but all these creatures are "friendly" and wont move from the spot much, therefore I prefer immobile creatures, since it makes sense that an active landmine cant be moved, or a stationary turret that is anchored in the ground. Same for treants that took root. But if anyone has good ideas for creatures, I am all ears. :)

Would gem furniture and gem crafts interest anyone ? If yes I could split my gemworkshop into two buildings, a gemcutter/gemcrafter thing for furniture, crafts and decorations, and a gemforge, for armor, weapons, ammo. Would be a similar setup to the stonecutter and rockforge that I currently have. In the end that might also be the case if/when I do the glass industry, but I dont want to copy the same building setup 3 times for this. Again, ideas are welcome.

And before I forget it again:
@milkbot: Thanks for the long and detailed answer and suggestions. I did choose pattern metal over latin/greek names, so that people can easier identify them. All these pattern metals are also alloys, and I liked the idea of dwarves making them better just by the way they work with the materials, plus some "normal" metals from DF. And orichalcum I wanted to preserve for the alchemy, but not many people know the name, so again, I rather took realistic names that ring a bell. Maybe it will come in the future though.

The brewery does indeed only accept full barrels. You think it would be better to split it ? Or take less in one go,maybe 10 ? I will definetly do this for mead. Bodyparts and remains could be made into meat, yes, but ... yuk... but then again it is for dwarves anyway. Will think about it. Butchering sentients is always on, a way to reduce clutter and get rid of corpses and bodyparts. Very, very useful for the boneyard as well, since it creates small stacks of bones.

Full changelog:

Oh, and my testfortress, a giant tradepost on a road. Just the surface level here, with super safe entry for caravans. They will only ever travel on the paved roads :)

And the new combat logs for the wrestlers.

PS: Quote from the official devlog: In addition, you'll also get multiple blocks per stone now.... wow, I might have to rebalance some stuff then... anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that I will stay another 2 days here before I head of again, so maybe... just maybe there is a small chance for the 1.8.1 update in 2-3 days. If yes, then the morning before I leave.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:23:17 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok... Seriously WTF!?!?

So I started Genning new worlds.

Small. Long History. Number of Civs High. Number of Sites Medium. Number of Beasts High. Rate of Savagery Medium. Frequency of Materials Everywhere.
Genned to 440yr then Crash.

Small. Medium History. Number of Civs High. Number of Sites Medium. Number of Beasts High. Rate of Savagery Medium. Frequency of Materials Everywhere.
Genned to 160yrs then Crash.

Small. Short History. Number of Civs High. Number of Sites Medium. Number of Beasts High. Rate of Savagery Medium. Frequency of Materials Everywhere.
Genned to 48yrs then Crash.

EDIT:: The last couple of crashes had this in the Errorlog

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:25:29 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You use ascii/ironhand and have changed the material settings ? (a guess from me) 

About the Chemist, the leading choice on the poll: I need suggestions about what the heck it does in the end. It is easy to set up a building, make reactions and reagents, based on RL stuff, but what should it produce in the end ? I personally think about turret and landmine stuff, since spawning them will be possible soon, so making "warpstone filling" or "hellfire powder" would be something for the chemist. Kevlar and Synthetics I think are too high tech... I could also link the blackpowder and TNT to it, which makes perfect sense, BUT that would lead to guns having to rely on the chemist.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am getting crashes on world gen around year 50 consistently...not spitting out an error log either (or at least...I sure cant find it where it should be). Only thing I changed was setting pop cap to 20.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

Guns might need to rely on the chemist to be realistic anyways.

Black Powder was created before a proper understanding of chemistry anyways, so that could also fit under "Alchemy".

Thinking about it, why should there be a distinction between Chemistry and Alchemy.  Chemistry is just informed Alchemy, and Alchemy is just Magical Chemistry.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it normal that I can get a "Age of the Frost Giant" without any frost giant civs alive?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Thinking about it, why should there be a distinction between Chemistry and Alchemy.  Chemistry is just informed Alchemy, and Alchemy is just Magical Chemistry.

My mind just split like wood under an axe.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guns might need to rely on the chemist to be realistic anyways.
--snip--

QFT
"Chinese taoist alchemists were the major force behind the early invention of gunpowder."-about.com
Maybe the alchemists ws could be to chemists ws as the still is to the brewery or the carpenter ws to the lumberyard.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

@ Crash Problem:  Not sure if it will help but here is my errorlog.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Meph I have an Idea, I hope you see this next you log on. Make your utility be able to output all settings and their options to a .txt file, so users can post what they use when they encounter a problem. I don't know what prog. lang. you use to write your utility but some file I/O would be great for requesting settings. If file I/O seems like too much make a message box, or a text field/box that allows for copy/paste and a button to query the settings.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 749