Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837738 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

On worldgen crashes:

I ain't getting them.

Then again, those regex expressions I mentioned before?  I ran them on my files, besides the creature materials one which I now know is very intentional.  I do not have 30,000 of every creature in every tile that supports them.  That might be connected?  Possibly?

On possible features that are easy to implement:

Turn on/off the animal people and giant variations of every single damned creature at once.

Add/remove from tokens
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS]
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]
Code: [Select]
[CV_ADD_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST]
[CV_ADD_TAG:FANCIFUL]

Civilizations will all know about the mythical stories of Kokapi men and Giant Magpies... but they don't really exist.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:01:38 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@crash during worldgen

So I finished the early linux port and am seeing the same thing there, many crashes at world gen. I'm seeing this anytime I try to gen Gargen of Gaia, using default settings. Even turning graphics and truetype off or running in 'text' mode don't help the situation.

On the mac I'm getting much farther along but still the crashes happen.

In both cases it's always a memory problem.

*edit* I just remembered my linux test machine only has 1gig of ram, so that why I'm probably memory-erroring so fast, I've been working on this way to long tonight haha.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:21:31 am by zenerbufen »

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Masterwork is great! But I am very attached to Herrbdog tileset - is there any way I can use it playing Masterwork?

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@worldgen crashes:
i had them after switching to ironhand, but now on phoebus as well (truetype font on). Used pregenned worlds as well as "normal" genned small/smaller worlds. Usually occur between 20 and 60 years of world history. Will try around with rebooting and stuff but im so eager to play in the 5 year old world i created....

@blocks
thanks for the reply, will chekk that one out. with the abduction of magma safe workshop this problem will be ignorable anyways. Thanks for the reply and the soon coming 1.8.1 :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

On possible features that are easy to implement:

Turn on/off the animal people and giant variations of every single damned creature at once.

Add/remove from tokens
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS]
  • [CREATURE_VARIATION:GIANT]
Code: [Select]
[CV_ADD_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST]
[CV_ADD_TAG:FANCIFUL]

Civilizations will all know about the mythical stories of Kokapi men and Giant Magpies... but they don't really exist.
That's a great feature I add it in manually all the time. But I find that in Evil areas that tehy exisit (undead versions of course) but you never see them anywhere else (I was almost afraid I'd run into centar corpses until I remembered they don't have enough info to be real)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question and/or suggestion to clarify:

In the MWDF Settings exe, you can limit the children on the first tab.

I assume "absolute cap on babies and children" means it caps the absolute number of children that can exist. In other words, if I enter "1" here, after 1 child, no more will be born.

However, then it asks me "percentage of adults in fort." Why is it asking for two caps? And percentage of which to what? Without explaining the context, it's not very clear. Logically I should be able to enter 95 here, as the "percent of adults" and it would limit children to be no more than 5 percent of the total population so adults can remain at 95. Is this correct?

However, after entering the two numbers, the button shows the numbers in the forum of a ratio, ie 10:1000 etc. (Why 1000 percent? This makes no sense.) Which leads to a third question, are the two numbers simply a ratio of children to adults?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:41:39 am by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

However, then it asks me "percentage of adults in fort." Why is it asking for two caps? And percentage of which to what? Without explaining the context, it's not very clear.

These are actually settings from classic DF, the settings.exe just makes it easier to fiddle with them.

From d_init.txt:
This allows you to control the number of babies+children in your fortress.  The first number is an absolute cap on the number of babies+children.  The second is a percentage of the current number of adults in your fortress (the default is the essentially meaningless 1000% here).  The lower number is used as the cap.  The cap only prevents further pregancies, so migrant children, multiple births and existing pregnancies from old saves can still push you over the cap.  Setting either number to zero will disallow pregnancies in the fortress.

Personally, I tweak the first number and simply use that to limit the rugrats.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:46:24 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

IronSmasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

regarding worldgen crashes...

I'm getting them at around 20-30 years history, with any tileset, and truetype on or off...

I'm not even convinced that it's memory related, because it has around 390MB of memory allocated at crash, and there's no way that should be close to any limit, even without LAA.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the clarification on settings!

stainless steel
morevaluable then steel
slightly better in armor/weapons
Needs: 1 steel bar, 1 chrome bar
Prodcues: 2 stainless steel bars (maybe just one ?)

Not sure if stainless actually made it in! However, as a medieval warfare buff, I feel compelled to point out that stainless is actually usually more brittle too and not better for combat. It's more prone to breaking rather than bending, not something you want to happen... point in case, any "battle ready" sword you can buy even today will never be stainless. Also see this video for a 440 stainless steel katana, ooooooh. :P
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also see this video for a 440 stainless steel katana, ooooooh. :P

Folks, right now, we may need emergency surgery in the studio.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the most recent version and I too have been having world gen crashes. Garden of Gaia seems especially prone, crashing before ten years in most cases. I tried the population and frequency changes that Jeoshua provided, and that made no difference whatsoever.
Also, the errorlog is full of errors like this: "Unrecognized Caste Token in Body Transformation Effect: DOG_ARMORED_IRON:MALE" but for every other creature that should be armorable. I checked the raws and haven't been able to find the iron-armored versions of anything. Where are they?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So as awesome as this mod is...how do you get into it...Its got so much crap I cant see myself using most of it lol.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

So as awesome as this mod is...how do you get into it...Its got so much crap I cant see myself using most of it lol.
I guess it's a mod that you have to play when it was first created, and yes trying to use everything is a hard thing to do.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Most of the additions are just additions, you don't need to use them.  The only critical new workshop I can think of that you must build is the Crucible, in order to hammer coarse iron into iron.  Everything else is pretty optional and can be learned as you have time to experiment.  The new lategame invaders probably will nudge you into exploring the advanced metals and workshops though.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just picked up this mod a couple weeks ago, and I was pretty overwhelmed at first.

The easy way to do this is, just play it like vanilla DF.  There's nothing in there you must use.  Leave all the buildings on, because, doesn't hurt you.  Enjoy the simpler rock and wood.  Trade with the drow and check out some new items.  You'll come across things now and then that seem useful and add them.  I saw 'create bedroom set' in the job manager once, was curious so I looked it up in the manual and the building guides, and got addicted to the furniture workshop, and it pretty much goes like that.   Try out golems, or the trap workshop to make better traps if that's your thing.  Find a bag of loot, look up what to do with it, etc.

It's like learning DF all over again, play the basics, add a piece here and there that seems interesting.  Maybe you'll get bad luck and something horrible will happen, but that seems pretty rare. 

There's probably still at least a dozen buildings I've never made, and I probably won't.

And ninja'ed by Werdna.  :-)
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 749