Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837514 times)

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 - I am online, juhu
« Reply #3855 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:19 pm »

First off, want to say I absolutely love this mod.  I'm on my 3rd fort with it and this is just really making dwarf fortress huge fun for me again.

After reading Meph's excellent entry in the succession fort I decided to try out golems for the first time in my own.  I did some golem science and have some questions/concerns/possible bug reports.

1) I made a peasant a golem, but hadn't assigned him to a military unit before the transformation.  I had absolutely zero control over him, but could tie him to a rope at the front of my fort.   I believe that's working as intended, yes?

2) My second golem I made was in a military unity before the transformation, and as others have said I could tell him to move and station as ordinary with one large exception.   Despite the fact he was in a military squad, I could not tell him to move somehow outside of a burrow the citizens were assigned to during an Active alert.   I tried this numerous ways, tell him to move within the active burrow (fine), telling him to move outside the active burrow (failed), I turned off the burrow for the citizens, and I could move him wherever I wanted to. 

Also, despite the fact the golem no longer showed up as a dwarf in most lists, it did still show up on the burrow assignment list.  However, since there's no 'Assign everyone but X' to a burrow, if I wanted to keep the burrow active so the citizens stayed inside but the golem was allowed to go outside, I'd have to either tie him to a post, or add every other dwarf one at a time to the burrow but him, I suppose.  Seemed somewhat cludgy and I'm assuming not expected.  Not sure if that's fixable, but at least there's a workaround.   

3) So now I have 2 golems.  A strangler group shows up, and the golems tear them limb from limb.  Perfect.  Then a warlock ambush shows up, and I'm not even paying attention cause I know not to worry about it cause I have two large steel fellows at the entrance to my fort.  2 minutes later, I notice I have 12 less dwarves.  It seems all the undead the warlock ambush raised (including all the strangler corpses) just walked right past my golems.  I then experimented, and told my golem to move past the skeleton of a strangler that was animated.  He just walked right past it.  Told him to stand there as skeletons came his way, and they just walked on by unhindered.   I told him to attack it, and he one shotted it.  So he could attack it if ordered to. It just never seems to have occured to him to do it on his own.

Is that a known issue with the golems, or the undead, or a combination of the two?  Do the golems just not recognize them as threats?  Is that related to what looks to me like warlocks being attacked by their own undead?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3856 on: May 04, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »

@srial: Golem are at peace with wildlife, I dont know if that affect wildlife corpses as well, but I assume so. If attacked they will respond however. The most important fact: You cant put golems in the military, BUT you can make them nobles. Make the golems milita captians. Create new squad, and the golem will automatically be in it. This way you can order them around, station them and so on.

Are dark strangler vile forces supposed to have weapons and armour? IIRC, they didn't in earlier versions and served as an easy stepping stone to the harder hordes. With weapons they tear through my guys though, especially lashers.
I noticed that as well. I have no idea why they do have weapons, since I did not mod the FD races in between the versions. They should have NO weapons. I will check their raws/entity file again. Sorry for that.

@panopticum: Thank you so much for the report. Thanks to your feedback sauropods are now war-trainable, dragons slightly nerfed, and the pet armory can heal pets, since I noticed that most of your used pets were quite badly hurt, and the animal caretaker job has no function anyway.

PS: Did you notice your elven civ ?

About my trip: I made 1500km within two days, so I have about 2 weeks more then expected. I cant rush to the US, since I have a date where a certain mentioned girl will fly there, buy a bicycle, and join me for a few months. Therefore I might bum around a week on the beach/read/swim, and put another week into the mod, since doing something productive is always good in my eyes.

- why not make the creature biome restrictions optional? i actually quite like having them - it creates flavor, and lets me sort of pick what i want to be up against, and how much of it. random insane deadly wildlife is fine but shouldn't it be optional? after all, the careful specification of ecoregions and good/neutral/evil tags is one really neat aspect of dwarf fortress - it creates consistent, predictable aesthetic differences associated with different kinds of embark locations, and lets people take on various levels of challenge if they want. a GUI button to this effect would be another strong feature of masterwork!

- related to the above, fantastic powerful evil-seeming creatures, like the oft-decried flaming skulls/facehuggers/etc, could be associated with evil biomes, so people seeking the added challenge of taking them on would know what they were getting into. this gives people options, ya know?

Good idea. I actually nerfed the skulls just now, so that is covered. The optional biomes is a good idea, but since it would essentially alter every creature file I have, it would be a lot of work. I rebalanced it and left the harder animals where they were, and put frost creatures back into tundras/glacier. Hope this is a compromise that works out. :)

FUTURE OF THE MOD

I got some work done yesterday, here the changelog and two small pics:

GUI
   - Concubines are now optional, and by default OFF
   - New balancing feature: Enable or Disable bodyguards for traders/caravans.
   - New utility: Perfect World is now included
   - New Utility: Legends Viewer is now included
   - (I decided on those two since they only add 2mb in total)

- Added bone breastplate to craftsman
 - Nerfed Burning/Frozen skulls, no more firestarting. Frozen skulls only in cold areas, and smaller cluster number.
 - Raised number of needed essence fractures from 3 to 5.
 - New reaction for pet armory: Heal nearby pet, fully heals any pet stationed nearby.
 - Automatons got new graphics, new descriptions, replaced CS Gas with Steam (weaker) and no explosion upon death, but mechanisms. The are made of copper now instead of iron. Can also be butchered to get rid of bodyparts.
 - They also got caste specific colors, custom named attacks and bodyparts. Way more steampunky now, as I wanted them.
 - Made drow bloodsteel and demonbone materials a bit tougher.
 - Added reaction to stone grinder to grind boulders into sand. 3 boulder, 1 bag = 1 bag of sand
 - New reaction for magma factory: Improve ballista bold, needs 1 ballista ammo and 1 slade. Makes slade ballista ammo.
 - New designs for 6 buildings. Armory/weaponry/Magma Armory/Magma Weaponry/gemworkshop/Brewery
 - Added "brew drink" reaction to brewery. Same reaction as vanilla still, makes no sense that the bewery cant do this.
 - Moved bloodwine, fuel from alcohol and purify water from alcohol from still to brewery.
 - Nerfed tame dragons a tiny bit. Slower rate of firebreath mostly.
 - Made Sauropods war trainable
 - Lowered the number for all teeth to 2. No more "teeth-explosions" creating clutter.
 - Changes armoks metal to a gem, instead of an ore. Was being used in any ore-accepting reaction.
 - New reaction at transmutation chamber: Work Armoks Metal, gives a random selection of bars, usually around 10-ish.

EDIT: Oh, tiny thing I forgot: IRONHAND IS DONE. You can now select this tileset as well. :)

NEW POLL EXPLANATIONS

ALCHEMIST: Extract Essence/Aether from ores/metals
retroengineer metal ore or metal bars. Unlimited metal, but needs a lot of workpower and raw materials. 

CHEMIST: Makes real chemistry. probably goes towards landmines and turrets, PVC, KEVLAR, coatings, quicksilver, mercury, oils, rock salt, USE STILL UNKNOWN. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

BONEYARD: All kinds of bone/totem/bodypart/blood/spikes stuff, for evil overseers. Mostly for flavor. Problem: Does not respect stack size. That is a problem that I cant solve. I personally postponed this till Today fixes that bug. For all those that dont know what I mean: 1 bone will always use 1 stack of bones, regardless of the size. 16 cow bones will be made into 1 item, wasting 15 bones in the process.

GOLEM UPGRADES: Sword, Spear, Hammer Golem. Choose one. Then speed/strength/steam attack upgrades/shockwave attack/healing(possible?) upgrades, using the dropped parts from dead automatons. Add a super low chance for epic golem, similar to the weapon upgrades, Thors Guardian (working title) that has a special attack. Maybe add a reaction to transform into a "metal" colossus as well. These would be similar to the old overpowered golems, but way more expensive to make. No upgrades for these guys. PS: This will be a bigger project

MAGIC OVERHAUL: Rebalance the mages a bit, but mostly redo the buildings and reaction. Right now all need adamantine to work and use evil/good/dwarfy versions of the very same reactions. Boring. Make them  way different from each other. PS: This will be a bigger project

GLASS: Havent done any modding there, so maybe glass weapons and armor, missing glass furniture, maybe a new kind of glass, volcanic/obsidian glass... havent given this much thought yet. Suggestions welcome.

REDO ZOMBIE INVADERS: Undead race. Add zombie bite transformation and resulting zombie spiral back in. OR, better yet: Replace zombies, since official undead invasion now exist, with something else that transforms your dwarves into allies, like illithids (mindcontrol) or bodysnatcher. Using a race with skills also allows for custom profession graphics.

REDO WARLOCK INVADERS: Currently they are super chaotic, starting fires and kill themselves, raising dead only to fight with those. I actually LIKE this random factor about them, but several people I saw rather play without them because of it. Therefore: Rebalance the warlocks, make them more streamlined, adding custom profession graphics and caste colors, a custom body and spells.

CREATURE SPAWNING IN WORKSHOPS: Make your own turrets and landmines, constructs and more. Spawn slaves in the breeding pit, aggressive immobile plants or summon magic creatures. Problem: All of them are tagged "friendly" and while fighting for you, will stay at the spot they are spawned. You cant order/move them. I postponed this till "tame" pet creatures can be created, but LoFR/narhiril did add it, and the reports she got are positive. PS: This will be a bigger project.

WORKSHOP OVERHAUL: Some workshops are liked and used more then others. I get the feeling that a lot of them are barely used because they have only a few reactions. Religious buildings, alchemist, bonfire, libraries and philosophers garden/fountain/potted plant, creature research lab, tech lab.

CREATURE ARMORY OVERHAUL: Currently the setup is very basic, using 1 reaction for all animals, but only targetting 7, and only allowing for steel. Adding more creatures and metals is a minimum, but animal upgrades are also possible. Make the mastiff a bit faster, give the elephant an AOE attack, the raptor metal claws.

EDIT: You guys think I should upload a new version now, or wait for the next update from Today ? I would have to redo all the utilities then, so it could take a while, with dfhack and therapist... the version I have works just fine, the changelog I posted in the last two posts I did.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:15:24 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 -NEW POLL
« Reply #3857 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »

Definitely a workshop overhaul.  If something has only flavor, isn't useful for anything, then why is it taking up my space and your time to maintain and find uses for it?  An example is the potted plant.  Do they really do anything except add to a room's value and add some flavor?  No.  So why have them?  Either cut them or make them do things, like an [AUTOMATIC] "admire" option that spritzed the admiring dwarf with a "happy interaction"... or something.  Make it farmable for fruit if you've selected the proper plant to pot.  Stuff like that.

But something that isn't really useful but has one or two options that might be useful sometimes should have those options moved somewhere else and find itself cut.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:23 pm »

In fortress mode pressing the (b)uild key will crash the game

This is a Dwarf Fortress bug. Change the zoom level, or turn off true type fonts.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »

Glad you are having such a good trip.  Sitting on a beach, sipping a Corona, modding DF....It's like heaven in chainmail.

Anyway, I like the workshop Overhaul idea myself. I figure it would be better to fix and optimize the content you have before adding new stuff.  After that is the Animal armor workshop.  For some reason trapping and messing with the animals is always a large part of my game. 

Also, a request, if you do not dislike the idea, would it be possible to add a Beast Lord or Animal Savant type Caste?  It would be sort of an animal trainer / hunter / trapper, or add Animal training to the Ranger Caste.

Lastly, I am about to start a new game so if you have everything for an update I would certainly appreciate it.  I would love to try Ironhand again as well as the new buildings.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:42:14 pm by Morwaul »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: May 04, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »

+vote for the update because the minecarts are backwards compatible if i read the updates from toady correctly

also i say the chemistry stuff because stone and metal is limited aside from goblinite on occasion and would allow for different play strategies and maybe give crappy rocks a meaning by giving it a reaction

crappy rock*10=metal ore
metal ore/bar*2=average rock?

maybe a reaction to turn bones or blood into a metal? bones=flux and blood=iron bones+iron=steel :O
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »

These changes please my brain, according to Toady the next update is soonish, I could possibly wait till then for the new stuff.

Something I think I forgot to mention about the Undead Invasions; things they killed turned into zombies themselves, as I assume is intended, but they were hostile to both invaders and my fort, they would also bleed to death after a short time, which seems odd for the undead.

I like the idea of being able to improve the golems, and reworking the Warlocks and Undead invaders get my vote.

I am particularly looking forward to the fish cult stuff, this kind of thing is a lot more interesting to me than invaders, though I like killing armies as well if you use some basic planning the threat from most of em is minimal. Internal threats like Blood Beast, Cultists or Vampires are harder to defend against but if balanced right won't just wipe the fort out if you react appropriately.

Mind Controlling creatures or body snatchers would be cool to fight, perhaps they could infiltrate the fort and pull levers or something.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:01 pm »

Now I'm excited for these updates, my vote is to upload the changes now.

I voted for the Alchemist and Golem upgrades....personally feel like these kinda reflect Masterwork mod the most, though Warlock invaders and Magic Overhaul are ranked right up there with those two in my eyes.

eyneill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: May 04, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »

This is a Dwarf Fortress bug. Change the zoom level, or turn off true type fonts.
How exactly would I go about turning off TrueType fonts? I was playing on normal zoom, replicated it multiple times and was able to play regular df.

Rep

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Often absent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: May 04, 2012, 08:46:56 pm »

9th Granite - It is raining sheep's milk!
14th Granite - It is raining sheep's milk!
24th Granite - It is raining honey bee honey!
3rd Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!
12th Slate - It is raining honey bee honey!
21st Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!
28th Slate - It is raining sheep's milk!

¬_¬

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: May 04, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »

who wants tanks.... medieval scratch that the late early modern period ..... Dardanelles Gun style!(that a (f word)ing huge cannon for a tank)
or do you want the Dardanelles Gun (a cannon so im also saying the adding of cannons (unless already added))

[edit] or even mechanical machines that can be controlled with remotes or most likely by dwarfs in the machines like mechanical spiders or a AT-AT ..... well i did not really mean adding a AT-AT but if you want to .... that would be ..... dunno.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:51:27 pm by azrael300 »
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3866 on: May 04, 2012, 09:14:29 pm »

Wow, fancy that. I thought you guys would be all over the golems... so i finished those already. Sword, Hammer and Spear golem, with possible speed, strength or AoE stun upgrade. For the upgrades you need clockwork first, is dropped by automatons. You can also do minor repairs on golems, but cut of limbs are still gone...

The animal savant could be done, but I would have to redo the guide for the castes then, and it looks beautiful just like it is... where is flobulon anyway, havent seen him in ages ;)

I am not on my Laptop, but i probably upload a new version in 1-2 days. Regardless of what Today does, I think I do offer enough content. :) I have a closer look at the workshops then...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:30 pm »

thanks meph XD, balls to the majority, <3 the golems :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:17 pm »

Hey guys, if you are using windows all you have to do is unpack Masterwork and then there should be a 'Masterwork Settings' .exe that brings up the GUI. You should not have to mess around with any other files besides that. IIRC when you launch utilities from the GUI, such as soundsense, you will need to point it to the gamelog which is found under the 'Dwarf Fortress' folder. I hope that helps.

The problem is that the GUI crashes before it can load, or whatever failing to initialize means.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »

How exactly would I go about turning off TrueType fonts? I was playing on normal zoom, replicated it multiple times and was able to play regular df.

Push F12 to turn off true type fonts, or *change* the zoom. The crash usually only happens at normal zoom. Zooming in or out, (mouse wheel/two fingers on the touch pad up or down) will also stop it from crashing. Regular dwarf fortress by default has true type set to off. If you turn it on I guarantee your vanilla df will start crashing as well.

Hope this helps.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 749