Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837477 times)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 - I am online, juhu
« Reply #3825 on: May 03, 2012, 09:50:24 am »

Not sure if this is an issue or a new feature.  I cannot tame animals in 1.7.2.  There is no option for it on the Kennel.  My animal trainers are level 1 though so maybe this comes with a raised skill?  What is the easiest way to raise Animal Training?

Meph, would it be possible to get a "Beast Lord" or "Animal Savant" type caste?  The problem currently is that I never get a dwarf with more than a level 1 animal training skill.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: May 03, 2012, 10:10:28 am »

same problem as morwaul.

about 60 dwarfs, 3 with animal skills at legendary but the dungeonmaster noble doesnt show up.
theres a dragon, waitin to tamed :/

Bodyless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:42 am »

thats a vanilla feature. animals are not trained anymore at the kennels. looks for them in the anmial screen where you can mark them to be trained or assigned to a trainer.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: May 03, 2012, 11:23:16 am »

Also very important is you need to create a zone 'i' for animal training.    I usually just overlap it on the grazing area so the trainer doesn't have to go far.

Once you have a zone for training, then just go into the animals screen (same screen you butcher from) and you can set them to be war or hunting trained.  You can set a specific trainer but usually I just send anyone.

Spray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:11 am »

Not training guize, Tame.

i have a dragon in a cage ,waitin to be tamed.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

I tend to find in freezing biomes that for some reason the flames dont hurt the dwarves if they are outside. Possibly because of Ice turning to water in the heat the dwarves are stood on then instantly being changed back to ice?

I'm not sure - 'coverings of snow' are not considered ice, they'd need to actually be standing on a real tile of ice, not ground, meaning a frozen river or lake before any of that could happen.  When I had my glacial wildfire, all the burned tiles still were covered in drifts of snow afterwards!  I just can't think of any examples in the game where breath weapons change based on indoors/outdoors or anything like that.

I suspect, and this is only a suspicion, that the flame breath of the skulls isn't itself very deadly, but its ability to start a wildfire *is*.  Just a few days ago this wildfire I mentioned BBQ'd six of my dwarves.  That said, I haven't faced flaming skulls yet - I get frozen skulls at my embark, and the few times my dwarves have been caught in their breath, they seem to have shrugged it off with little to no damage.  So I'm guessing in your glacial encounters with f-skulls, you simply got lucky and had no wildfire induced by their attack?

ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: May 03, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »

I have a request.
Make building Aboveground Only more enjoyable...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shishimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: May 03, 2012, 12:21:24 pm »

Not training guize, Tame.

i have a dragon in a cage ,waitin to be tamed.
How to domesticate wild animals: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Animal_trainer#Domesticating_wild_animals

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: May 03, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »

Which of the creature raws houses the flaming skulls?  I'd like to remove them or modify them a bit.  The little pests always seem to find a way to start forest fires whenever I'm doing something like punching through an aquifer.

edit: nevermind, found them :P
Can you share the changes you made or preferably point me in the direction to where I can modify them myself please? They are a nightmare, seem to be on every biome and are much more common in my experience to any other creature. On cold maps they arent so bad as there fire seems to do no damage but quite often they have been the death of my fort or a massive nuisance such as killing all my livestock, burning all the landscape and on the rare occasion set fire to my booze supply. Whenever they turn up... coffins are required.

I wouldn't mind them so much if they was a rare visitor, plus my hunters always go for them.  :(

Just had a abomination, was alot of fun! (Unsure if your work or native as I haven't played native that much)

I found them in the raw/objects folders, creature_masterwork.  They were right at the top.  I personally just deleted them entirely, and haven't seen any since, but to be fair I've only played up to the first year without them now.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: May 03, 2012, 01:46:56 pm »

I have a request.
Make building Aboveground Only more enjoyable...

What do you find unenjoyable about it?  In a way, I think the Brick Oven covers what I think is the toughest part - fast building materials.  Building on the surface is inherently more vulnerable to animals and sieges, so pumping out quick structures early are a must.  If you have clay, a few Brick Ovens can generate blocks at a staggering rate.

Personally, for me it is that hostile "flyers" seem to be much more common in recent versions of DF, so above-ground structures tend to need to be enclosed, and enclosing structures is a lot of work and material.  The end result is that I feel like instead of recreating a medieval castle, I'm recreating massive WW2 bunker complexes.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

I know the "FPS only" version of this mod is still up for consideration, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of which raw modifications in this mod accomplish the leather / meat / fat / tallow / etc. type reductions?  I'm fumbling my way through using the old Dwarf Fortress Mod Manager, and want to see if I could include most of them in my game (leaving, for example, wood in the vanilla state).

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »

Thanks for all the info on training animals.  I am now taming animals and reading my kill room.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3837 on: May 03, 2012, 04:27:16 pm »

Thanks for the massive report, I am just downloading the save and will check it out. :)

The flaming skulls seem to be a bit more powerful since clothing came back, because dwarves now actually catch fire and burn to death, instead of just getting burns. Might have to work a bit on that.

@Xen0n: That would be difficult, because those are massive changes in all raw files, more or less. I use dummy plants, trees and animals with a common name and redirect all other materials through them. Inorganics I reduce to a lower amount...

Oh, and since I saw the brick oven mentioned: It has way improved. Now you have 16 colors (all colors in the game) and the option to make a lot of low-value bricks, or a small amount of high-value ornamental bricks. For megaprojects or above ground fortresses. And if the flying animals bother people, you can turn 100 bird species OFF in the creatures tab, I know the problem they can cause. :)

I also modded a bit yesterday, somehow got carried away and stopped this morning at 0600, so here a little insight in what I did:

- Possessed dwarves can now be cured
 - Cult of the carp god, think of them as "boss" versions of secret dwarves, Lovecraft style
 - 8 plagues that might hit your fortress, use medical wards to immunize your dwarves
 - Thatchery, work plants into wicker, wicker into furniture
 - Replaces cave fungus with neutral looking rubble
 - Many fixes and rebalances, including the too aggressive wildlife and collectable turret ammo.
 - Reworked brick oven, now with 3 times more reactions for megaprojects
 - New included glacier world
 - Updated GUI

Note: The Thatchery idea and basework came from cc in this thread. He kindly allowed me to use it in my mod.

Here 3 pictures, the map of the glacier world, some of the hints you might get about the cult infesting your fortress and the building guide for the thatchery. Note that the cult hints arrive slowly overtime and you have to find them. These ones I took from the arena, in fortress mode they will be not all at once.

EDIT: ah hell, might as well post the entire cangelog:
Please do note that this is just my private working version, NOT a new download yet. I wait for df34.08 or whatever Today will call his minecart version. :)

EDIT2: Just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nil1O95CaLI a lets play of the mod... and I found stuff linking to somethingaweful and reddit. And even spanisch, french and polish sights. Seems that mod finds its way around, nice. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:49:00 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: May 03, 2012, 04:49:04 pm »

meph - that is awesome! =D am glad you're having a ball travelling, and am glad you're finding time to get a bit of modding in too! i've got a couple other suggestions based on the 5-year-old 1.7.2 fortress i've got running, though:

- why not make the creature biome restrictions optional? i actually quite like having them - it creates flavor, and lets me sort of pick what i want to be up against, and how much of it. random insane deadly wildlife is fine but shouldn't it be optional? after all, the careful specification of ecoregions and good/neutral/evil tags is one really neat aspect of dwarf fortress - it creates consistent, predictable aesthetic differences associated with different kinds of embark locations, and lets people take on various levels of challenge if they want. a GUI button to this effect would be another strong feature of masterwork!

- related to the above, fantastic powerful evil-seeming creatures, like the oft-decried flaming skulls/facehuggers/etc, could be associated with evil biomes, so people seeking the added challenge of taking them on would know what they were getting into. this gives people options, ya know?

that's all i've got for now - i'm having an absolute ball with masterwork, and it's still the only way i play DF =D absolutely all the best -
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: May 03, 2012, 05:39:52 pm »

meph - that is awesome! =D am glad you're having a ball travelling, and am glad you're finding time to get a bit of modding in too! i've got a couple other suggestions based on the 5-year-old 1.7.2 fortress i've got running, though:

- why not make the creature biome restrictions optional? i actually quite like having them - it creates flavor, and lets me sort of pick what i want to be up against, and how much of it. random insane deadly wildlife is fine but shouldn't it be optional? after all, the careful specification of ecoregions and good/neutral/evil tags is one really neat aspect of dwarf fortress - it creates consistent, predictable aesthetic differences associated with different kinds of embark locations, and lets people take on various levels of challenge if they want. a GUI button to this effect would be another strong feature of masterwork!

- related to the above, fantastic powerful evil-seeming creatures, like the oft-decried flaming skulls/facehuggers/etc, could be associated with evil biomes, so people seeking the added challenge of taking them on would know what they were getting into. this gives people options, ya know?

that's all i've got for now - i'm having an absolute ball with masterwork, and it's still the only way i play DF =D absolutely all the best -

This, this, a thousand times this!
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 749