Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837368 times)

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 - I am online, juhu
« Reply #3795 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:17 am »

Meph, you still taking submissions for your 5 year challenge? I am nearly to ten now and have have a save if you want it at some point.

We are doing a MasterworkMod succession fort called Rockmeet at reddit.com/r/Succession

On year 3 now.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:05 am »

So Meph did you see my question about making those Living Stone and such less Fanciful considering they appear on the surface alot???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Spray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: May 01, 2012, 09:32:09 am »

mh, can i breed a dragon egg without a male dragon?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3798 on: May 01, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »

Male dragons cant lay eggs ;) You need both male and female to breed.

@nevyn: Well, I kept the original colors, blue from microcline and red from bauxite, since fungus and living stone are just copies of that, but Yes, I did see your question and think that I will make them more neutral looking. They will still leave no stone though.

@zenerbufen: nice, I will check it out.

@panopticum: Wow... which version is it ? I will gladly hear any suggestions and inbalances you came across. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: May 01, 2012, 07:13:51 pm »

Okay, i made it to year 4, even with tons of Ogres etc. attacking. Here's how i managed for those that are struggling:

For embarking, take whatever you want but at least one Crossbowman. Give him Ambusher so he starts out with basic Equipment and Ammo. I highly recommend taking some extra Ammo, especially if you take multiple Crossbowmen. 

First of all, secure your Fortress Entrance. I repeat, that's the FIRST priority if you don't want to get killed. Depending on where your entrance is, dug into the side of a mountain or just Stairs into the Ground, pull a Wall around it that can only be accessed with a Drawbridge (Link it up fast so you can close it off). Carve Fortification's into the Section and build a Floor above it if necessary, (if you want to avoid that step, make the Draw bridge a bit deeper into the Fort, so there's allready a Ceiling, keep in mind tough, the farther in, the farther all Migrants will have to travel to get in safely.). Then carve Fortifications into the Wall and make a Burrow at the Location. Make a Ammo Stockpile nearby so the Guys don't run out.

Now, if those pesky Enemys enter your Land (i'm not talking about Ambushes and Sieges, just those random-Visitors like Ogres. Tough the Trick works for the first few attacks.) pull everyone inside, a second burrow for Civilians works nicely, and let the Enemy approach your Entrance, then seal of the Drawbridge if he gets to close. Of course, draft your Military to the Burrow you made so they start shooting. Should he go too far away for your Crossbowmen to shoo them, open the Bridge again. Repeat as necessary.

As soon as your Basic Fort is established, you can add a second Drawbridge a bit further away from the other one. If someone enters the Area, close both Bridges, leaving the Guy trapped between two Walls and your Dudes shooting at him. Remember to add more People to your Military over time, especially trained Meele's. Later Ambushes and Sieges get very hard, especially with all Races enabled. If you don't want to be trapped in your Fort forever, you need a Method to kill things, BIG things. But this should get you trough the early-stage, at least for me it worked ;D
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: May 01, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »

1.7.2, having a lot of fun with it too. No crazy megaprojects or anything, but just trying stuff out, playing conservatively.

I'll play out to year ten and then do a write up of my assorted comments shortly.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »

@nevyn: Well, I kept the original colors, blue from microcline and red from bauxite, since fungus and living stone are just copies of that, but Yes, I did see your question and think that I will make them more neutral looking. They will still leave no stone though.
Please leave the living rock red. Also it would be cool if it left huge piles of blood when mined out that the dwarfs had to clean up. (or leave if you want a bloody cave) I imagined my dwarfs coming across pulsating red bloody meat walls, and hacking away at it with their picks. I'm curious why you don't have it drop behind more meat, stone isn't really a renewable resource. You could save sections of living wall in case of food shortages, and have your miners mine it out and bring it to the butchers in time of need.  Even if living rock in general was made more rare, or maybe not so close to the surface?

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »

<deleted double post, sorry>
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:45:54 pm by zenerbufen »

allison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:49 pm »

And about the fortress that was transported from 1.6 to 1.7.2: There is no fix for bad thoughts from no clothing, all this is hardcoded by Today. Hope you have a 1.6 save left.

No worries, I've still got the old folder :) I think I'll let it fade into history now though...

But, in my new 1.7.2 fort, one of my migrants brought in a little dwarven girl-child as a pet  :'(

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »

yeah, that is a concubine.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:17 pm »

That's sick, even for this game.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

allison

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: May 02, 2012, 12:46:29 am »

yeah, that is a concubine.
:'( :'( :'(

But, I checked, her owner's a fourteen-year-old girl... they throw parties together.
I'll just pretend it's like a dwarven sleepover with big sister  ;D

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: May 02, 2012, 01:40:50 am »

Whatever helps you sleep at night, just don't slaughter her for meat or her ghost will never leave.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:07 am »

Wait what? Concubine? What's this about?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:11 am »

Please leave the living rock red. Also it would be cool if it left huge piles of blood when mined out that the dwarfs had to clean up. (or leave if you want a bloody cave) I imagined my dwarfs coming across pulsating red bloody meat walls, and hacking away at it with their picks. I'm curious why you don't have it drop behind more meat, stone isn't really a renewable resource. You could save sections of living wall in case of food shortages, and have your miners mine it out and bring it to the butchers in time of need.  Even if living rock in general was made more rare, or maybe not so close to the surface?
What I was asking was to remove the whole Living Rock thing from the Surface stones. That means changing the whole thing. As this itself makes no sense to see on the surface as much as it appears. If it was around the 3rd Cavern then yes, that would be awesome...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 749