Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837309 times)

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Updated MAC Version
« Reply #3765 on: April 28, 2012, 09:43:36 pm »

Before I ask a couple questions, Masterwork is absolutely amazing. I have been trying it for little over a week now and have been having a great time. There were a couple diffi... !!FUN!! times like embarking and having dragons or flaming skulls wander onto the map in the first month resulting in amazing pyrotechnic displays across the map. This mod adds in and removes everything I could have wanted added or removed from vanilla along with options to change it up each time, thanks!

Though I have only played for only a short time I have many questions about things going on in the Masterwork world. I have tried searching this thread, the manual in Masterwork, as well as the wiki with about a 50% success rate. If there was something I should have been able to find please let me know I lurk many forums but rarely ever post out of fear I am breaking some sort of rule or didn't search the extra few hours and will get flamed.

The first question I have is regarding High Templars, I seem to get a High Templar no matter what around... 100 dwarves? Usually I notice because my embark Merchant/Mayor goes nuts and punches in a skull or two because he doesn't have royal everything. If I try to leave the High Templar noble vacant the Merchant/Mayor pops right back into it. What I don't understand is that I thought the High Templar was a new noble position that had to be appointed by a priest/archpriest but I have religion turned off and no religion buildings/workers at least that is in the one post I saw regarding them in an old release.

The second question is why does half my fortress "glow with a sinister red light" and spam the absolute life out of my combat log? I think it only happens when a magic user is on the map but whenever I have been aware they are in the farthest corner of the surface killing a cat when dwarves 50z levels below on the opposite corner of the map fall over with the aforementioned combat log. Some direction on where to look in the raws/files so I don't have to trouble the community for things like this would be appreciated as well.

Lastly, for the moment, I try searching for turret posts in this thread and while I have seen a few asking if we will be able to produce our own turrets I have not been able to find an answer. Usually it was bunched in with mutliple questions and probably got glossed over by accident. That or I am searching for key words like turret that the answer didn't contain (some search training could help me there).

Thanks for any help guys! Back to reading and laughing at stuff in the DF mode threads.
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -
Download @ DFFD ::: WIN ::: MAC ::: LINUX

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »

I'm just getting infinite map rejections after trying this mod...

It's just an long nonstop string of this:

Code: [Select]
The Plane of Moons, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -10231
The Plane of Moons, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -4654
The Plane of Moons, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -6748
The Plane of Moons, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -2909
The Plane of Moons, region1: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -1344

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:15 am »

Or maybe he lacks internet at home and uses cellular data internet as a substitute?

My advice, get a browser for your phone that allows you to pose as a desktop browser.

Sorry all of you but I am a terrible explainer. I use tethering to use my phone's internet connection for my computer, and when I try to download something off of DFFD it gets to 56 kilobytes then stops and doesn't go again.
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

Hydarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 29, 2012, 02:15:24 am »

Hi, been playing this mod for a while and was wondering about few things.

Is it normal for my dwarf to building things from rock dust, rotting smell or bacteria and is there some easy way could make them auto dump that sort of crab?

think there was something else I wanted to ask about but cant remember what it was atm.

really like this mod package though.

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: April 29, 2012, 02:20:26 am »

Alright. I got the rejections to stop.

But now I crash in the middle of the worldgen process with this errorlog:

Code: [Select]
Unrecognized Inorganic Token: ADAMANTINE
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction MAGIC_TRAIN
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction NECROFIGHER
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction HOLYFIGHER
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction MAGICFIGHER
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction UNNAMED_ONE
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction ANGEL
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction MOUNTAINKING
*** Error(s) finalizing the reaction ADAMANTINE_WAFERS

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:40 am »

rock dust, rotting smell and bacteria are suppose to boil meaning temperature is off, to turn it on is a button in the masterwork executable under the settings tab and on the left under misc.  you'll find temperature: on/off, just click on that

if you haven't already you should try redownloading it weaselcake, otherwise i got nothing :s
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: April 29, 2012, 12:58:24 pm »

The second question is why does half my fortress "glow with a sinister red light" and spam the absolute life out of my combat log? I think it only happens when a magic user is on the map but whenever I have been aware they are in the farthest corner of the surface killing a cat when dwarves 50z levels below on the opposite corner of the map fall over with the aforementioned combat log. Some direction on where to look in the raws/files so I don't have to trouble the community for things like this would be appreciated as well.

This is what I saw when the liches came after 18 months to trash a recent fort.  The 'glow with a sinister light' comes from several spells listed in the interactions introduced by the Dwarven Chocolate mod in interactions_dwarvenchocolate.txt.  They've clearly not been play-tested, and IMO should be re-tuned entirely for Masterwork.  In my case, the three liches (flying, invisible, and necromantic) apparently knew the 'suicide' secret and could each cast thirty some odd spells listed under that secret.  My combat logs were spammed to oblivion by endless spell-casting, and my dwarves looked like Christmas trees from all the colored blinking X's on them.  Never saw a single lich.  I was unlucky, as they attacked when my dwarves poured outside to drag goods to a depot as traders arrived.  By the time I burrowed them, it was too late.

In your case, you are running into sorcerers, which know a different set of spells.  Count yourself lucky if they are visible and targetable.  The only reason I even knew what I was facing was seeing "goblin lich bone doctor" and "elf lich hunter" and "human lich something" in my combat log, spamming gestures.  I still don't know if their stealth was because they came as ambushers, or because they had a "Hide" spell.

Hopefully this stuff will be toned down and given a settings.exe button option to remove.  Ideally this sort of endgame-like challenge should appear on megabeasts, so they will arrive correctly on wealth/pop triggers.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Remadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:40 pm »

Downloaded 1.7.2 today. Is that amount of towers from mod? or it is vanila thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: April 29, 2012, 03:07:37 pm »

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this mod,  and all the features work quite well together.
For the sake of feedback,  how about value levels for the brick oven.  The more rocks you put in,  the more valueable the bricks are.
Something like 2 rocks make low-value;  3 rocks make medium-value;  4 rocks make high-value?

Again,  this was just to give feedback,  and the features the modpack provides are already fantastic.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: April 29, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »

This is what I saw when the liches came after 18 months to trash a recent fort.  The 'glow with a sinister light' comes from several spells listed in the interactions introduced by the Dwarven Chocolate mod in interactions_dwarvenchocolate.txt.  They've clearly not been play-tested, and IMO should be re-tuned entirely for Masterwork.  In my case, the three liches (flying, invisible, and necromantic) apparently knew the 'suicide' secret and could each cast thirty some odd spells listed under that secret.  My combat logs were spammed to oblivion by endless spell-casting, and my dwarves looked like Christmas trees from all the colored blinking X's on them.  Never saw a single lich.  I was unlucky, as they attacked when my dwarves poured outside to drag goods to a depot as traders arrived.  By the time I burrowed them, it was too late.

In your case, you are running into sorcerers, which know a different set of spells.  Count yourself lucky if they are visible and targetable.  The only reason I even knew what I was facing was seeing "goblin lich bone doctor" and "elf lich hunter" and "human lich something" in my combat log, spamming gestures.  I still don't know if their stealth was because they came as ambushers, or because they had a "Hide" spell.

Hopefully this stuff will be toned down and given a settings.exe button option to remove.  Ideally this sort of endgame-like challenge should appear on megabeasts, so they will arrive correctly on wealth/pop triggers.

Thanks for the reply, I must say I agree with you. I have enjoyed this mod a great deal but it has taken a lot of embark attempts to even get setup. As I said in my first post I will barely get to my first migrant waves when dragons, non mega beast, will wipe out everything. I will also get lots of ambushing spell casters that overwhelm me with the amount of random things they are doing/throwing out. Luckily with the spell casters, and part of the fun of this mod, is that they are in turn attacked by three ambushing squads of various races. Often I will end up with a three way war outside while my few living dwarves are huddled behind walls in the mountain. I really do hope the magic gets toned down or at least all the combat log spam. I see no reason why the entire fortress is constantly spamming glowing with various light and falling over when they are nowhere near any enemies/fighting.

Downloaded 1.7.2 today. Is that amount of towers from mod? or it is vanila thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How long are you setting the history for? I generally stop at 125-250 and there will be a few in Vanilla/Masterwork but definitely not 5-6 towers per area tile. Perhaps in that world necromany just happened to be the IT thing?

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: April 29, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »

First of all, great Mod! Really enjoyed it til now. Especially love the Turrets and Landmines.

I have some major Problems with starting out tough, i played 4 Forts so far, who didnt even get passed the first Year, and here's the Reason:

Fort 1 had 4 Centaurs popping up on the map in the first summer, they completely destroyed all my dwarves (About 14 in total) They ran right past my early traps and as you can guess, my weapon and armorless Militia had no chance.

Fort 2 got visited by two "Goblinmen" who again, tore trough my guys as if its nothing. Also they came in late spring so i didnt really have that much time to prepare.

In Fort 3, i embarked with the Military-Start, so i had 1 Speardwarf, 1 Axedwarf and two Marksmen. I was able to kill 1 Centaur and a Goblinman in the first summer, but in Autumn 2 Ogres bashed my door down. I have no idea if i jsut got unlucky, but those dudes took my Military apart without taking a scratch themselves. After checking the Combat Reports, the only guys getting hits out were the two Crossbow-Guys, who landet about 4 or 5 shots each. Didnt seem to bother those two Ogres at all.

Fort 3.1 was a reclaim try, this time taking even more Combat-trained Dwarves with me, but yet again, the Ogres took them apart easy.

Last but not least, Fort 4. Lasted until Winter when a Giant appeared. This time it seemed i could repel the attack, but right before the Giant fell AGAIN those freakin Ogres appeared. You can guess what happened. This time i didnt even try a reclaim, why bother against 4 Ogres?

What really confuses me, Fort 3 and 4 where in "Calm" Areas, while Fort 3 and 4 were in "Wilderness" Areas. I expected some trouble in Wilderness Surroundings, but not those near-invincible Ogres. I also wondered about those Ogres appearing in Calm Surroundings, since it says in their description that they usually dwell in more Evil biomes.

Dont get me wrong, this isnt a complaint, i really like challenges and actually enjoyed watching my Dwarves getting mauled by those Ogres (The Gore was simply fabolous.). But im fairly certain im doing something wrong, either at embark or generally when setting up the fort. Has anybody some ideas/help on how to deal with those pesky early-Invaders?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Shadow Creator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: April 29, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »

First of all, great Mod! Really enjoyed it til now. Especially love the Turrets and Landmines.

I have some major Problems with starting out tough, i played 4 Forts so far, who didnt even get passed the first Year, and here's the Reason:

Fort 1 had 4 Centaurs popping up on the map in the first summer, they completely destroyed all my dwarves (About 14 in total) They ran right past my early traps and as you can guess, my weapon and armorless Militia had no chance.

Fort 2 got visited by two "Goblinmen" who again, tore trough my guys as if its nothing. Also they came in late spring so i didnt really have that much time to prepare.

In Fort 3, i embarked with the Military-Start, so i had 1 Speardwarf, 1 Axedwarf and two Marksmen. I was able to kill 1 Centaur and a Goblinman in the first summer, but in Autumn 2 Ogres bashed my door down. I have no idea if i jsut got unlucky, but those dudes took my Military apart without taking a scratch themselves. After checking the Combat Reports, the only guys getting hits out were the two Crossbow-Guys, who landet about 4 or 5 shots each. Didnt seem to bother those two Ogres at all.

Fort 3.1 was a reclaim try, this time taking even more Combat-trained Dwarves with me, but yet again, the Ogres took them apart easy.

Last but not least, Fort 4. Lasted until Winter when a Giant appeared. This time it seemed i could repel the attack, but right before the Giant fell AGAIN those freakin Ogres appeared. You can guess what happened. This time i didnt even try a reclaim, why bother against 4 Ogres?

What really confuses me, Fort 3 and 4 where in "Calm" Areas, while Fort 3 and 4 were in "Wilderness" Areas. I expected some trouble in Wilderness Surroundings, but not those near-invincible Ogres. I also wondered about those Ogres appearing in Calm Surroundings, since it says in their description that they usually dwell in more Evil biomes.

Dont get me wrong, this isnt a complaint, i really like challenges and actually enjoyed watching my Dwarves getting mauled by those Ogres (The Gore was simply fabolous.). But im fairly certain im doing something wrong, either at embark or generally when setting up the fort. Has anybody some ideas/help on how to deal with those pesky early-Invaders?

I read a few of the posts in this thread and I believe he set it so that all creatures could show up in any land/biome because there were many creatures from vanilla players hadn't seen because they were so rare. Now no matter where I embark (current one in calm) I get grave cats, Bhargests, dragons, harpies, ogres, unicorns, satyrs, forest imps, nyphms etc. It definitely makes embarking way harder. Later though when you can make it a couple years in you will start getting multi race wars fighting outside your gate before you even have to fight.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: April 29, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »

Well, that would certainly explain my visitors. I think i jsut gotta try on til i get lucky and get a running Fort up BEFORE those guys show up.  :D
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: April 29, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

I am not too fond of all the creatures showing up, hopefully in next version it will be a toggable option. Amazingly enough the 3rd migrant wave is being a life saver now. So at least a third of my population prior to it arriving. It seems that most of the creatures will either steal (nymphs) or kill your livestock (gargoyles for example) From what I have seen, ranged weapons are more effective early on than melee ... due likely to my dwarves lack sufficient armor to take blows. Traps help too, but that is more long term plan, think I actually made a set up with a mason, mechanic, and the rest stonecrafters just for a trap build incase I ever wanted to build a basic defense and reclaim. Those fireskulls, though less powerful than before are still deadly, I lost most of mine to them. Now after a few kills, I am shooting the crap out of bone bolts. Of my current fort of 40 dwarves (2nd winter) I have about 15 dead. So thats still about my alive percentage as first year. Its rougher, but I am getting tougher.

Walls. Walls are your friends.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: April 29, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »

Darn right walls are your friends, i usually use the 6 miner embark and turn masonry on for everyone as soon as I start, I get a curtain wall set up as soon as I dig out a storage area or dining room. Screw beds or farms, those don't get worked on until the wall is up, also I don't do doors for the outer defenses, bridges are where its at.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 749