Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837022 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Updated MAC Version
« Reply #3615 on: April 19, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »

Large fires in bonfires do destroy corpses that are dumped on it, yes.

The gemworkshop also allows to cut large gems into smaller ones, and the sharp gem weapons are not half bad, I had dwarves cutting goblins in two with those. I dont know exactly about the value, you think I should raise it ?

@dorfmeister: As mentioned in the PM, the claiming of clothing is hardcoded, cant help you there.

EDIT: >100.000 views. What the hell, when did that happen ? ^^
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:48:59 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: April 19, 2012, 06:54:24 pm »

I seem to be having issues with finding the guildhall -- is there any case in which it would not show up in the workshops menu at all? The only workshops I have disabled are the magic workshops, would this be related?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3617 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:49 pm »

I had to remove the Guildhall, since it works with transformations and changing disyplay names. This did collide with the Dwarf Therapist, as well as the Mage/Golem transformations.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: April 19, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »

Ah, alright, thank you

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »

Poll Response

If it is all the settings from MW that effect FPS, what would be the point as all that is already in MW?  Sounds like you are proposing a new mod that does exactly the same thing (only less) as MW.  Is there a reason to do this or am I missing somethng?

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:13 pm »

In my case, I was originally attracted to Masterwork because of the FPS stuff. I'm a heavy modder myself, and I don't play Masterwork as such - I play a very heavily edited version of it, with a lot of things cut out, and a lot of different things added in. For me, it doesn't matter how customisable Masterwork is, since I'll be modding it anyway, especially as the launcher doesn't let you turn off everything, just most of it (and for a modder, having raws full of unused entries is a tad frustrating. I trim heavily so that I can make my own changes without losing them). I use Masterwork as an excellent source of ideas, sometimes using things in their entirety, and sometimes just seeing what Meph has done and being inspired to do something completely different.
So for me, having an FPS edition would be very, very useful, as it would be a base that I'd build on without the need to remove anything. I'd probably end up lifting a lot of pieces from Intricate Edition too, of course, because there's a lot of rather ingenious ideas in there, but my personal interests involve heavy modding of my own things too.
Other people may have their own reasons for liking or disliking the idea of an FPS Edition, but that's mine.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30:36 pm »

I have to say, these raptors are a pain in the arse. Herds of eight all going instant rage from across the map and tearing all my dwarves apart no matter were they are. Sigh it was a nice embark too.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:43 pm »

I think an FPS version would be good, but I wouldn't play it personally. I DO see value in making it as I'm sure some people want to play vanilla just with higher FPS.

I just hope it doesn't take up too much time from you working on Masterwork.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: April 19, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »

maybe a couple buttons for presets like easy, normal and challenging with an fps option that just toggles options inside the mod's interface
i'd use the fps edition for my laptop and when i want to make a speed run for !!SCIENCE!!

love having all the warbeasts but elf and drow have all animals , brood or beast.  drow also have magma blueprints but not the non-magma kind probably intentional though
no one has concubines as pets at year 75-80 though, aside from dwarves

btw grave cats don't hunt vermin :(
-there's also a duplicate with them, same name but different size/desc.
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: April 19, 2012, 11:00:21 pm »

Do weapon traps need to be linked to pressure plates or something to work? I've been finding that stonefall traps generate combat reports and deal damage, but I've had 5 goblins now pass over 2 different weapons traps and see no combat report nor do they take any damage.

The weapons traps are filled with a mixture of spring-loaded stone axe blades and serrated stone sawblades.

Lamorak84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: April 20, 2012, 12:07:05 am »

That's it! I've had it!

They have 1000 pairs of shoes stuffed in their bloody rooms.

I'm not making a single bloody pair more!

I hate saying no to you, but NO!
Wear you stinking old ones you darn fools!

Let's see how long this fortress lasts till it dies of no shoes... muahahahhaah... :|

I usually dont give them Storage possibilities in their rooms... so what happens for me is -> They sometimes change clothes at the clothing storage and then I have a mix of fresh clothes, x....x and later also xx....xx clothes. Thats a far smaller problem, me thinks. So I can see how many clothes I have stored and if i have to produce more (and possibly sell or atom smash or burn the xx....xx)... i dont care much for my dwarves wearing xx....xx or x....x. Well with the x....x I did not see much of a change in their Happyness either ;-)

Also the clothing degrades from fresh to x....x in like around 1,5-2 years... thats fine for me ^^ BUT it's essential to make it so (with your own possibilities as player) that the dwarves CANT bunker away lots of clothes. I have a good (but also 4 year old) computer, it was high end when I bought it and I can run DF with 30 REAL FPS on a 8x8 embark with a depth of... well usually something between 140 to 185... depends on where you embark ^^ That said, it is just possible because I always hunt for clutter objects and destroy them... every bolt is collected ^^

About the whole FPS discussion I can just say... there are lots of ways and possibilities to get better FPS. Most serious DF players know about them. And honestly, If I would have a slower PC I would have to change my style of play... its easy like that. With a slower PC you just cant take big embarks and then wonder why it does "lag"... also some people tend to build stuff with huge flowing water or magma masses and then they wonder why they get low FPS... o.O

I've once seen a Youtube video of someone doing a let's play and he did dig into an Ocean to get that water from up there to down into the tunnels... the moment he did dig into the ocean he did kill his FPS ^^ Because in DF water-pressure DOES play a role. Since he did dig into the ocean some layers below the ocean, the water was SHOOTING into his tunnels draining the ocean in a very short time.

So most FPS drops come from the very own playstyle and can be mostly avoided. Also... if the PC can barely run a 4x4 embark then the person playing should ask himself if he should not better upgrade to a newer system... it does not have to be a High End gaming rig ^^ You need mostly a 64bit system with a good CPU and RAM... the graphics card does not matter a lot for DF (which is good, cause usually the graphics card/s is/are most expensive). When I did upgrade my machine (the same PC) from 32bit to 64bit it did help me a lot in many many games, not just DF.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:34 am »

Do weapon traps need to be linked to pressure plates or something to work? I've been finding that stonefall traps generate combat reports and deal damage, but I've had 5 goblins now pass over 2 different weapons traps and see no combat report nor do they take any damage.

The weapons traps are filled with a mixture of spring-loaded stone axe blades and serrated stone sawblades.

Goblins in Masterwork were immune to traps since they had [TRAPAVOID] until the latest version (now iirc, they lost it but orcs gains it).  They're still vulnerable to spike traps, and if they're webbed eg. by web turrets they take damage.  Although a web filled trap corridor is dangerous.

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:33 am »

Do weapon traps need to be linked to pressure plates or something to work?

Goblins in Masterwork were immune to traps since they had [TRAPAVOID] until the latest version (now iirc, they lost it but orcs gains it).

This is correct. The latest version had the goblins revert back to vanilla status, with them not being trap avoid. This was because goblins are usually one of the first ambushers to come to your fort, and having them trap avoid was a bit overwhelming. The orcs that were previously not trap avoid are now trap avoid, and should siege later on.

It makes it more balanced that way. Goblins can still be dangerous with their bows, and later ambush parties could see elite ones. They are just not so steamroll on the first ambush now that they are no longer trap avoid.

I think an FPS version/option on the mod would be a good idea. It would let people enjoy some of the benefits of the mod by saving fps and cutting down on the clutter without throwing a bunch of modded content at them that they may not be interested in. Not only is the amount of clutter reduced, but it makes sorting and managing everything much, much easier when things are simplified.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:04:47 am by masquerine »

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: April 20, 2012, 01:34:24 am »

meph - i think an fps-only version should be implemented with a "preset" button in the launcher that automatically turns off all the awesome masterwork-specific stuff. that way people who want a very vanilla-like experience can select that preset, people who want the full masterwork experience can select the "default" rather then the "fps only" preset, and people who want to customize it can turn options on and off individually!

that seems very much in the spirit of how the mod has evolved so far, and, imho, seems like the most obvious way to do it. forking versions, however, should be avoided - one will inevitably be sacrificed for the sake of the other, and languish. i don't want to see that happen with masterwork! =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:16 am »

Personally, I like the idea of having a "MW Lite" version with ONLY changes that reduce FPS. This means no tilesets included and no changes to vanilla that aren't strictly FPS.
Vanilla DF is a 9.22 MB download. MW 1.7.2 is a 34.7 MB download. I don't know about anyone else, but my connection to DFFD is bad. Really bad. 50 kb/s bad (I frequently get 1-2 Mb/s on Steam and elsewhere). Having a Lite version will allow the FPS changes without any major increase in filesize, and still allow most tilesets to be manually installed.
Not only that, but it also means that the Lite version will only need updating when Toady updates Dwarf Fortress, which only happens when the planets and stars are in alignment, copious amounts of lutefisk are sacrificed to the lutefisk god, and hell freezes over.

I still wouldn't download or play it though. It's just not DF without all the added Fun.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 749