Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836891 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Music for the Masses
« Reply #3525 on: April 17, 2012, 02:08:14 am »

Youve got the bo kidding me, SOOO much addition im having hard time to find DF in that haha, very good job guys, i love the way its heading!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

lewtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: April 17, 2012, 09:29:23 am »

Is it possible to cap the migration waves, and not the population?  I don't mind the population going up, but I hate it when I get more than 5 dwarves in a wave. 

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:02 am »

Can you make a weapons guide? I want to know what the best weapons are for sharp and blunt, 1- and 2-handed, dwarf made or foreign. I don't mean all of the greenskin slayers and runeswords, those are different.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Cusi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

Can you make a weapons guide? I want to know what the best weapons are for sharp and blunt, 1- and 2-handed, dwarf made or foreign. I don't mean all of the greenskin slayers and runeswords, those are different.

Open the Masterwork Manual and look at "Weapons Guide" for the types of weapon, what they do, and what skill they use. Then look at the "Material Guide" also in the manual to find out what metals do what

Also look at the "Guides and Readmes" folder in the main Masterwork Folder, and look at the metal guide. I believe those to the far right are the best for edged weapons as well as defense against them, and those just to the left of them are the best for/against blunt weapons. I am assuming by against, he means armor, not weapon vs weapon.

Lamorak84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:31 am »

Actually you can indeed edit the raw in the save folder.  Any reaction, creature or object that's currently there can be modified at will.  To my knowledge, you can't add any NEW reactions, but I'm not aware of other limitations.

Also, my soldiers are complaining about not having shoes under their high boots.

I will try that soon. Thank You.
So as far as I did read the actual protection an armor piece or cloth piece can give you comes NOT from Defense Value 0-4? But its a mix of stuff like material used and Coverage and stuff like that?

BTW... I want to hearby Thank the Creator of this mod... its the best and I like that people can play the way THEY like it ^^
One thing I wonder about... would it be possible to make landmines and turrets so, that you can produce them your own (with a very high cost) and make them out of different parts? Like... having to build a turret "hull" so that gives you a chance to withstand 1-3 hits, and building a loading mechanism, which gives you slower or faster firing rate, building a magazine which gives you some kind of ammo capacity and building a magic core so it can identify what it has to shoot, and maybe even have to build a barrel and if its short or long will give you a longer range or shorter range (longer range should also give you slower fire rate or should need you to cost you more or something).

Would it also be possible to give the dwarves Flamethrowers? Low range flamebreathing weapons that need ammo (special oil) for it to work? In reallife flamethrowers are pretty easy to manufacture and since the dwarves have guns... ;-D In general I think dwarves COULD be able to have WW1 Tech... I would really like to see more of this industry stuff and if made optional I think there is nobody that can complain...

Another thing... would it be possible to make some WW1 Tank... you know they were more like heavy armored gun platforms than actual real Tanks of today. I could see some real nice uses for that... for example if something comes on plan that can spit fire... you can directly battle it without all your military melt away (you can do that today also I know... but I think a tank would be more dwarfi than just fireresistant personal armor ;-D)... still a tank could get burned inside (if the monster is near the tank, like the fortifications rule).

I am pretty much in love with that "Dwarfs build Techy stuff" and every update here is an awesome for me ;-D
But I am also very curious about your next features, even if they are not in the Tech category ^^

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: April 17, 2012, 11:48:04 am »

Just wanna say, LOVE the mod, so much new stuff and quality-of-life improvements, it really fleshes out Dwarf Fortress.

Two things, as an earlier poster stated, all creatures are showing up in just about any environment, I'm playing the Scorching Shiv premade map (so not a cold environment to be found) and here I've got Flying Reindeer floating around over my scorching hot desert volcano (the flying reindeer are cold/mirthful only, far as I know)

Also, I'm not sure how to post screenshots up here, but I've got a screenshot of the dwarven outpost liaison offering me (under the extracts tab) Molten Failure Stone.  Whoops!  Probably not intended to be collectable by Dwarves, and almost certainly not sellable.  I imagine the caravan brings it, it evaporates instantly, and they get afflicted by whatever syndrome that Failure Stone gives.  Could be Fun :p
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:32 pm »

would it be possible to .....[lots]

As far as I know, you can have a reaction create vermin, but no other type of creature.  That's probably why golems are made by transforming a dwarf into one, for example.  Unless you want to do the same with landmines and such, there's no other option. 

I'm also not sure that you could create an equip-able object that shoots fire.  But I don't know that for certain.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Throren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: April 17, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

Has anyone found a way to keep slade/copper fired from turrets from being put into food stockpiles?  Slade/copper doesn't seem to be listed under tallow anywhere, nor anywhere else I've looked.

*Edit - Also maybe a bug, but it doesn't seem that the Nightwings understand the concept of retreat. Beat back one of their invasions, and now I'm down to 1 Nightwing Axeman who is flying around, refusing to leave, and I'm unable to kill him, keeping me stuck in Siege mode status.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:33:17 pm by Throren »

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: April 17, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

Has anyone found a way to keep slade/copper fired from turrets from being put into food stockpiles?  Slade/copper doesn't seem to be listed under tallow anywhere, nor anywhere else I've looked.
Disable allowing tallow/fat stockpiling completely and turn off the cleaning labor on dwarves. The copper/slade fired counts as a glob, which gets stored under the fat setting on stockpiles. Additionally, tiles with the globs on it get cleaned, which removes the glob from the map. What the dwarves are doing if allowed to is grab the glob to the stockpile, then clean it to get rid of it. Annoying side effect of having turrets, especially ones firing around the map.

Can't help you on nightwings, never had them siege me yet. I'm happily waiting though. :D

Throren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: April 17, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »

Disable allowing tallow/fat stockpiling completely and turn off the cleaning labor on dwarves. The copper/slade fired counts as a glob, which gets stored under the fat setting on stockpiles. Additionally, tiles with the globs on it get cleaned, which removes the glob from the map. What the dwarves are doing if allowed to is grab the glob to the stockpile, then clean it to get rid of it. Annoying side effect of having turrets, especially ones firing around the map.

Can't help you on nightwings, never had them siege me yet. I'm happily waiting though. :D

I guess I'll give that a try.  Not sure what to do about my current ridiculous supply of tallow, fat, and sugar though...

...30000 dwarfcookies I suppose.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3535 on: April 17, 2012, 02:40:24 pm »

I will answer everything in a while, just two thinks now:

High Boots cancel out shoes, and no socks exist...THATS it, what is making armored dwarves think they are naked. Thanks for that find.

A similar change is to other creatures too, such as in creature_magical_ff.  In game too, you find there sure are a lot of savage, good, and evil, & mountain and ocean creatures running around no matter where you embark.  I bet this was some kind of debugging test, I doubt this made it to the live version on purpose.
As strange as it sounds, this is on purpose. I will restrict the creatures a bit, but I NEVER saw a forest imp, faun, sasqatch or similar crazyness in the game, only animals, not fantastic creatures. So all fantastic creatures got a ANY_LAND to make them appear more often. Thought people would appreciate acutally seeing the fancy creatures for once ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »

Actually you can indeed edit the raw in the save folder.  Any reaction, creature or object that's currently there can be modified at will.  To my knowledge, you can't add any NEW reactions, but I'm not aware of other limitations.

Also, my soldiers are complaining about not having shoes under their high boots.

I will try that soon. Thank You.
So as far as I did read the actual protection an armor piece or cloth piece can give you comes NOT from Defense Value 0-4? But its a mix of stuff like material used and Coverage and stuff like that?

BTW... I want to hearby Thank the Creator of this mod... its the best and I like that people can play the way THEY like it ^^
One thing I wonder about... would it be possible to make landmines and turrets so, that you can produce them your own (with a very high cost) and make them out of different parts? Like... having to build a turret "hull" so that gives you a chance to withstand 1-3 hits, and building a loading mechanism, which gives you slower or faster firing rate, building a magazine which gives you some kind of ammo capacity and building a magic core so it can identify what it has to shoot, and maybe even have to build a barrel and if its short or long will give you a longer range or shorter range (longer range should also give you slower fire rate or should need you to cost you more or something).

Would it also be possible to give the dwarves Flamethrowers? Low range flamebreathing weapons that need ammo (special oil) for it to work? In reallife flamethrowers are pretty easy to manufacture and since the dwarves have guns... ;-D In general I think dwarves COULD be able to have WW1 Tech... I would really like to see more of this industry stuff and if made optional I think there is nobody that can complain...

Another thing... would it be possible to make some WW1 Tank... you know they were more like heavy armored gun platforms than actual real Tanks of today. I could see some real nice uses for that... for example if something comes on plan that can spit fire... you can directly battle it without all your military melt away (you can do that today also I know... but I think a tank would be more dwarfi than just fireresistant personal armor ;-D)... still a tank could get burned inside (if the monster is near the tank, like the fortifications rule).

I am pretty much in love with that "Dwarfs build Techy stuff" and every update here is an awesome for me ;-D
But I am also very curious about your next features, even if they are not in the Tech category ^^

As far as I know from spending many hours looking at the wiki and the raws themselves, the only thing that determines how well something protects is...

1. Material. Steel resists dents and punctures better than copper, drakescale resists dents and punctures better than leather, etc.
2. How many of the armors you have on that body part. LAYER_SIZE determines the number that the armor piece represents, while LAYER_PERMIT determines the hard cap number. Say your piece of armor has a LAYER_SIZE of 10 and a LAYER_PERMIT of 100. You can equip 10 of those pieces on the same body part, but no more. If the armor piece is SHAPED, that piece is unique and you can only equip one of that particular piece at a time.
3. Coverage. COVERAGE rating is a hard percentage that determines if the armor will try and resist the weapon. 100 means that the weapon will hit the armor (provided the weapon struck that body part) every single time. 50 means that the weapon bypass that armor piece half of the time. Not that important in modding unless you want to do something wild like "realistic" fantasy armor for females.

And as far as the flamethrower and tank ideas, Meph has already stated that he'd like to keep the fantasy-ish setting of Dwarf Fortress. Turrets toe the line, but are clockwork. British Mk. I tanks from the Battle of Somme? Way out. Of course, everything is up to Meph.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: April 17, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »

I will answer everything in a while, just two thinks now:

High Boots cancel out shoes, and no socks exist...THATS it, what is making armored dwarves think they are naked. Thanks for that find.

A similar change is to other creatures too, such as in creature_magical_ff.  In game too, you find there sure are a lot of savage, good, and evil, & mountain and ocean creatures running around no matter where you embark.  I bet this was some kind of debugging test, I doubt this made it to the live version on purpose.
As strange as it sounds, this is on purpose. I will restrict the creatures a bit, but I NEVER saw a forest imp, faun, sasqatch or similar crazyness in the game, only animals, not fantastic creatures. So all fantastic creatures got a ANY_LAND to make them appear more often. Thought people would appreciate acutally seeing the fancy creatures for once ;)

I ran into a bunch of creatures I've never seen before and personally I thought it was awesome. I had no idea what was going on. It was pretty late into the game, a few years at least, when they started appearing.

It was definitely interesting and I like it. If you do revert it back to restricting them do you think we can get an option to turn that on and off? I love it and want it on, it gives more variety to things you encounter.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: April 17, 2012, 03:16:01 pm »

I think a large variety of creatures is a good thing, but at the same time there are some creatures that just shouldn't be outside their environment. Reindeer in the desert, sea serpents in the mountains, unicorns in evil biomes, nobles in fortresses, etc.

I think a toggle between OLD (1.7.1), NEW (1.7.2), and COMBINATION (all creatures except ones out of place) is a really good compromise.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: April 17, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »

I think a large variety of creatures is a good thing, but at the same time there are some creatures that just shouldn't be outside their environment. Reindeer in the desert, sea serpents in the mountains, unicorns in evil biomes, nobles in fortresses, etc.

Sigged.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 749