Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836639 times)

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.1 NEW: Trade System & Armor Sets
« Reply #3390 on: April 10, 2012, 05:57:03 pm »

best you can do at the moment with turrets/landmines is to mod them out manually : /

i modded drows to have broods by adding a caste that transforms like the slaves from the brood lords

broodlord+broodmother=slave brood(child)=slave dwarf
rare caste of drow=broodlord/broodmother
(the drow caste has max age of 1 so i'm hoping no freebies or weird stuff)
copy&paste the secrete/sweat syndrome from broods to drows

next world generated has drow with demon rats+broods, no other pets
~not sure how they got rats but they are vermin..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

next thing i'm modding in is an animal that can pull the wagon for them >.>
~current fort has dwarves+humans extinct so..
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

DOOMCHUG

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: April 10, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

Is there anyway I can implement the Ironhand texture pack. When I try to update my data and raw folders it crashes, I think it's due to a batch problem but I'm not sure. Also for the extra tile sets, is there a way I can leave that as phoebus textures together with the Ironhand textures?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3392 on: April 10, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »

Yes, you can play with ironhand, but it is a giant amount of modding to enable it. You need to manually refit all the tile numbers in the creature, tool, inorganic and plant raws.

I noticed the bog crawler invasions as well, after breaching 1st cavern. Will trim them down.

I am not on my own laptop right now, so just a few things: I did do some fixes and added more batch reactions and tradegoods. I will check the drow pets and what I can do about it, and will see what the hell is wrong with turrets/golem turning up, even with the settings off.

It doesn't make gem armor, just gem-encrusted armor made out of wood. Because of this, I cant see it in the arena, so I'll have to look and see if it's reliable in fortress mode.
This is... sooo... wrong. It makes gem armor, made out of a fake wood that has the same properties as gems, since gem-armor made of gem is not stockpile. So you get gem armor made out of gem-wood that looks and handles like gems, and is named like gems. Sharp gem weapons are really good, but I never did relieable tests with the armor, so I cant say anything foolproof about how good they are. They shouldnt be too bad...

The war elephants and their weapons are a Fortres Defence problem, I will check with darkflagrance... rest looks good, nice reports. I played a little bit as well made a Tear-of-Armok-Well, got an artefact iridium morningstar, gingerbread men stole some crap, vultures went to my butchery and made of with guts and brains, I have a lone gremlin bowman guarding a magma tube, drow came without pets (confirming the mentioned bug) but mostly everthing works as intended. A trade liasion was painting pentagrams, a child stone-savant was doing my furniture for me, and my timberyard was bruned down by flaming skulls. Goblins seem a bit overpowerd though, since they sometimes carry steel, are trapavoid, and arrive as the first enemies...

What do you say, nerf Goblins a bit, make them trap-affected again ?

PS: Magma maggots do not start fires, but fire trees will when felled. Also all kinds of animals/monsters, and some of your mages. And turrets... Still playing around with fire-starting rain. :)

PPS: Modding in a new race should be easy, just mind that there are many races already, so you might want to turn some off to make space. I made it to nicaragua btw, finished with panama and costa rica. Next is honduras, but will make a break first. Also, someone seems to have stolen a wad of dollars from me, just have no idea how... well, tough luck, I am still alive and cycling.

@flobulon: Raptors are intelligent and can use tools/euqip weapons... but I did not foresee them beating people with silk slippers... awesome :)

Have fun.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:24:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Throren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »

Goblins were just annoying enough to make me resort to using mines, which, through an Aristotelian confluence of events led to my entire Fortress exploding in alcohol and coke fueled fire.

I'd say they were balanced.

Also, could anyone tell me what the Platinum Epic books are used for?

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »

Next is honduras, but will make a break first.

Visit Juticalpa, but stay away from Tegucigalpa unless you like slums and a big Hollywood-like Coca Cola sign on the mountain.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: April 10, 2012, 10:10:36 pm »

The platinum books you get from a random chance during scribing? Trading or smelting. There's nothing in the raws that suggest they are used for anything. The libraries only use the regular varieties.
I guess, if you want, you could edit the reaction_masterwork raw to include a 100% chance of retaining the platinum book when studying at a library (normals only have 95%).

Throren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:32 pm »

The platinum books you get from a random chance during scribing? Trading or smelting. There's nothing in the raws that suggest they are used for anything. The libraries only use the regular varieties.
I guess, if you want, you could edit the reaction_masterwork raw to include a 100% chance of retaining the platinum book when studying at a library (normals only have 95%).

Honestly, I was expecting them to either do that, or provide a significant boost upon reading, I was a little surprised when I got "The Art of War" and it didn't do anything. 

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:51 am »

The only issue I have with goblins is they seem to be archers more than anything else, and that annoys me.

Milkbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • dA Page
« Reply #3398 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:56 am »

How exactly do you imbue golems with life? It went for 6 months with the job waiting around till it finally took my book keeper. Does it use a labour? Is there something I'm supposed to do?

Also, once you have your golem how do you utilize it? I only seem to move it via pasturing, I can't wartrain it to give it to my militia.

Those are only 2 of many many questions....this mod is confusing at times. But I fucking love it! Please meph work on the manual for the next release, because some things are really obscure.
(*v*  )         FRO-
/(  .    )\         STED
_|   _|             BUTTS

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:01 am »

I'm having a problem with the Burning Skulls.
Whenever they start a fire and things start to burn, my game crashes after some seconds. This is reproducable if I save and reload.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: April 11, 2012, 02:55:34 am »

meph - getting some stuff stolen is like a right of passage when it comes to backpacking around south america, i'm afraid - it happens to the best of us =D

- nerfing the bog crawlers would be fine, but i found that i'm able to stave them off with enough carefully-pastured cats and frill lizards. they did bite the shit out of everything before i set up a dedicated effort to stop them, though. ugh... green trails of vomit everywhere!

- i'm absolutely in favor of nerfing the goblins, too. they should be relatively manageable, and right now, when they show up with several ambushes simultaneously, it's pretty rough. i can stave them off with a decent military, turrets, armored dogs, etc, but my lord... they're supposed to be the easiest class of enemy we face! making them trap-affected seems like an easy and straightforward compromise, but some of them will still have trapavoid, right? so it's not a complete nerf...

- firebreaks are really important. damn. you might want to mention that in the manual or somewhere else relevant. i put them between levels, around the outside, etc. otherwise everything just burns.

cheers!
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: April 11, 2012, 04:11:54 am »

How exactly do you imbue golems with life? It went for 6 months with the job waiting around till it finally took my book keeper. Does it use a labour? Is there something I'm supposed to do?

Also, once you have your golem how do you utilize it? I only seem to move it via pasturing, I can't wartrain it to give it to my militia.

Those are only 2 of many many questions....this mod is confusing at times. But I fucking love it! Please meph work on the manual for the next release, because some things are really obscure.

the manual is ok.. the wiki is in progress, but good thing you asked here.

the golem forge uses the extract strands skill, what you want to do is first assign the dwarf -to-be-a-golem into a military squad (i use them in squads of 5) turn off all their labors except extract strands. assign the Golem Forge to only let your newest military squad members use it.

to avoid some silllyness, make sure your forge is in its own room, in an out of the way place. If any of your "new golem squadmembers" have babies in their arms they turn into golem babies.. that never growup or leave their parents arms.

the key here is. assigning them to a squad keeps them in that squad, there's no need to activate them for training or assign them any gear or anything (actually best if not too)

with only those few squadmembers able to work the workshop. they'll eventually get all turned into golems and then you can use your squads interface to station them where ever just like normal military, with the benefit of never careing how long they stand in one place

just pray to armok they decide to equip an actual weapon.. and not a FREAKING SOCK...*mutters...*

Moving on:

Never had an issue with fire.
Cant see bog crawlers on the map though i do get a good idea where they're biting people (fireants for one i CAN see... bugger things!)

personally i don't like to use an Acre of Traps but it feels like 9 times out of 10 i get sieged by goblins which make my traps useless, but it keeps my golems busy (one is useing a silk sock for a weapon. another an iron breastplate, the other 3 have Steel weapons (2 Great axes and 1 spear - Masterworks! =(^.-.^)= . they destroy...KILL too ..Crushing little gobbos!

oh its been noted .. Blunt weapons are terribly ineffective, Slade mauls, while using FIVE slade boulders to create. don't seem to be any more effective than a punch when my dwarves use them. but MAN when those ants and trogs used them on my dwarves they felt it...

i want to meet the bloody giant of a dwarf that swings a slade maul around... seriously . 5 boulders!.... maybe tack on a couple zeros .. and test it out...

@meph . how much are you out in said wad of dollars?

my only issue with trap avoid is, how is an entire ambush of semi sentient greenskins able to rush past. at full runspeed past mytraps like indiana jones through my fortress of doom, without one of them getting a head lopped off. or fall in the pit. or... or.. now i want a giant boulder trap...

last random thought: Turrets and Landmines.. if disabling doesn't work. then butcher them eh? - or pit them into magma?

on the flipside of that. can they be made out of a tougher material? everytime i put them in fortifications a goblin with the extreme skills of some action hero shoots one rusty bolt into the fortifications and hits the brass killing it . in one shot. every time

Every time....

just one bolt.. through fortifications..

maybe have an upgrade armor shop for my turrets i adore... i'd line them in freaking adamantium.. there.. stupid gobbos shoot this..

also hellfire burns roads regardless of what they're made of. probably vanilla , or probably because they're considered a building but it was kind of a derp moment when i had my hellfire turrets positioned in such a way they destroyed the road into my fortress, all of the outside. and EACH OTHER as they shot inbetween them... roasted goblin anyone?

ok really last thought... i just butchered a strawberry man.. and his family apparently... >: )
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:30:32 am by Fairin »

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: April 11, 2012, 06:23:23 am »

Stunning mod. My FPS is currently at 140 when my crappy PC can barely manage 30 on the normal mode, it's really weird seeing everyone run around this fast.

Thanks for this mod :D.

EDIT: my first fortress was annihilated by flaming skulls after 3 months... I ain't even mad, that was fucking awesome to watch.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:58:06 am by Rawb »

Undeadlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: April 11, 2012, 08:03:51 am »

I have to agree on the gobbos, atleast take out the trapavoid, I didn't realize they were until i got ambushed and they strolled past my 10 lines of traps. Thank god I am can raise and smash them with a bridge, though I do lose all the goblinite by doing that :(

Hope your trip gets/goes better!

AirPhforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:12 am »

Real quick, what's the file I need to make/adjust to enable custom fun? I know they must be set to 0 in advanced world gen, but what's the file?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 749