Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836356 times)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.1 NEW: Trade System & Armor Sets
« Reply #3240 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:17 pm »

No.  The reason is that it does not fit the theme of middle aged fantasy, the real reason is that I, as a 12-year veteran player and DCI Judge of Magic the Gathering absolutely detest Pokemons.

EDIT: About the rocks:
Normal rocks are like this: They have names: Dolomite, granite, gabbro, schelite, bla bla and so forth.
Standardized rocks are like this: Rock, Precious Rock, Magmasafe Rock. Same as the wood: Rough wood, smooth wood. Or Silk: Silk, Rare Silk. Same idea.

EDIT2: Just made the poll a bit... simpler. btw NO ONE ever complained about the missing names for all other materials, it is weird. Seems like people dont even notice that they use wood, instead of "kapok wood" and "saguaro wood" and "oak wood"... not a single report was about: I want werewolf leather armor and giant spider silk gloves, instead of leather armor and silk gloves. I expected more in that regard, but I am positively surprised of course.

Thanks that makes a lot more sense. Yeah I personally don't care TOO much about the extremely specific names. The only thing I liked with wood is that different trees made different colored crafts usually. It just makes the fortress look more interesting with various different colors. Same with rocks, that's really the only thing I absolutely like about them.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:42 pm »

Meph, you might point out to people just in case they do not understand (assuming I understand) that using standardized stone does not mean you will only see simple stone, precious stone, etc. walls.  You will still see gabbro and granite and olivine, etc.  The difference would be that if you mine a gabbro wall rather than dropping a "gabbro" boulder it would drop a "magma safe" boulder and a granite wall would drop a "simple stone" boulder (it may be doing this already, don't see any granite in my current game so far so I cannot check.)

The benefit to this would be stockpiling and fps boost as well as that having fewer stones may make it easier to make stone specific reactions.  In other words you could have your mason make 10 precious stone cabinets for the legendary dwarves and 10 simple stone cabinets for the haulers directly without having to make specific stockpiles around your masonry shop and hoping the mason actually makes what you are oping for instead of going 20 z levels out of the way to grab that lovely piece of marble instead of the obsidian you have sitting there.

The color thing is the only drawback.  Is there a way to change the color of items?  Make a blue chair or a green table even if it is made out of granite?  Maybe some kind of furniture dying (staining) workshop?

I did not understand the limitations of stone.  I retract the above statement.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:18:57 am by Morwaul »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:48 pm »

The color thing is the only drawback. 

color, and loss of dwarfiness

(no offense Meph, you are awesome of course, but generic stone is non-awesome :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:03:33 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3243 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:38 pm »

But its impossibru. Rock always drops boulder made of the rock. I cant make gabbro drop "rock" and marble drop "flux stone". So what you propose does not work, it would really mean that i remove all the rocks and add my 3-4 own ones. Very radical. Even I shy away from taking rock away from dwarves, just does not feel right...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:24 pm »

Ah, I misunderstood then.  I thought it would work like trees.  oak tree drops fair wood, or whatever it is called.  If stone cannot work the same way I would say don't do it.  Having 200 Z levels of simple stone and precious stone would be awful. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:18:05 pm by Morwaul »

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 04, 2012, 12:31:47 am »

Biggest problem with the stone changes is the lack of color. Perhaps if we had several color generic "Stones" it would be fine.

But as always, one part of the brilliant of Masterword is the ability to turn on and off options at will.

Meph, i propose you implement it anyway. If people dont like the standardized stone, just turn it off. Thats how Masterwork has worked so far, keep it like that.

Honestly, im not sure if i would want it or not.

Oh, and i had a idea while i was smelting some goods.

You know how in the still we now get the option of brewing specific plants into specific drinks?

It would be great if we had the same options for wood burning; I wanted to burn scrap wood, but my burner kept grabbing the fine wood every now and then. Just a small annoyance, and i know that this can be solved with stockpiles or burrows, but this would be great regardless.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7 NEW: More Sprites and Balancing
« Reply #3246 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:19 am »

• Batch Reactions    - Make complete armor or clothing sets
  • Tradegoods          - Order crates of bars, sets of armor, medical kits and more
  • Optional weather   - Special rains and fogs for good regions, duststorms in deserts
  • Concubines          - If Migrants stop, buy Concubines to raise the number of offspring
  • Minor fixes

Special Thanks
This update has been heavily influenced by other modders, and I would like the thank arclance for the bloodwine idea, narhiril for the ongoing support and science about interactions, and of course Xangi and SethCreiyd for the big mods I was allowed to add. NW_Kohaku also deserves a mention here, since I based many of the new sprites on her (his?) work.

Full Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: Fastest update I ever made. You guys were just so enthusiastic about the proposed tradegoods and batch reactions, I had to do this 8)

Meph, you ROCK. Such a brilliant update.

But i have one question; can my old saves from 1.7 be ported over to this version? I ask because im halfway though a megaproject and i dont want to cancel work, but then i also dont want to miss out on this update.
Where is the chemistry
It created soap.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:53 am »

Just reporting a issue.

I killed a Frost Wyrm thing just now, and it dropped a platinum skill essence. Upon reading the manual, i learnt that it could make one dwarf legendary at a Creature Research lab. So, i bult a lab, but when i try to assign a task to it, all the options are in red. I can see the skill essence lying there on the ground, but it wont let me select the task.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I build the workshop right next to the essence (Which was a distance from the fort) and it worked. I now have a legendary ax warrior. woohoo!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:16:00 am by JimmyBobJr »
Where is the chemistry
It created soap.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: April 04, 2012, 02:45:51 am »

If you want color for your construction, can't you already burn colored bricks at the Kiln?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: April 04, 2012, 03:16:11 am »

I'm in favour of rocks generalised via type and colour. For example, no one is going to miss diorite and slate, because they're both the same colour and use. However, separating rocks just by type and not colour would suck; many people like to keep clustered workshops separated by colour to make it easier to tell between the two.

And if people care about having 'diorite' instead of just 'black stone' and marble instead of 'white flux stone', they can always just turn that option off.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: April 04, 2012, 05:20:17 am »

I like the idea of reducing the amount of colourful stones. It'd give us a reason to make coloured bricks! There's not much reason to make kilns right now because you can do anything with stone.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:21 am »

I'm with the anti-stone side as well. I don't even care for color as much. Just don't forget to add the "worthless" variant as well, the kind that doesn't leave anything upon mining.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:27 am »

Just noticed a naming inconsistency in the manual compared to the settings.exe

For cave races in the settings.exe there are gremlins, troglodytes, antmen and batmen. In the manual it lists the cave races as serpentmen, trogs, ant, and batmen.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:15 am »

my dwarves are tantruming becouse they don't have any clothes
And I can't make any becouse there aren't any options in the Clothes workshop! >:(
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3254 on: April 04, 2012, 08:28:12 am »

@castamere: Cant be. Just genned a world, clothier can do shoes, shirts and pants, all dwarves wear clothing. Even if you still play 1.6 version (without clothing) there shouldnt be a problem, since there are no bad thoughts from nakedness in that version.

@rest: Stones are already reduced to "one stone per type/color" with the simple stones options. 

@seraphyx: thanks for the spotting in the manual. When you check the gremlin description you will see that I had different plans for them ;) Serpentmen should be naturally armed cave civs, to replace them and reduce clutter. (no weapons or armor dropped by them)

Anyway, the is my last post for a while. Appearently nothing is horribly broken, everything is full of bliss, (just remembered: The megabeast/titan with the aura of giving and kindness: That the mod :) But black diamond, wow that must have been a tough fight) and hope everyone enjoys the mod in the meantime :)

For thos who care: My Route
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am now... off. Have fun. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 749