Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835847 times)

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #2985 on: March 22, 2012, 01:59:46 pm »

meph - all due respect to nw_kohaku, but it does seem possible to have sprites with transparent backgrounds. check out, for example, the raw/graphics/animals/ folder, full of bmp files with pink backgrounds. they look like this:

that pink background does not show up in game because, i believe, bitmaps are rendered transparently. other graphics files are in .png format, and have found a solution better then the black background: they use a specific brown color which blends into a lot of background tiles. see, for example, elves.png:

there's more going on here then might meet the eye =)

Yes but it's not quite that simple.  The game needs to know which color is the transparency in a .bmp image.  My guess is that it probably looks at the palette and removes the first color as the transparency, which means your bitmaps need to be indexed so that the pink background is the first color.

I find it's much easier to just use .png images with neutral background colors and/or alpha channels.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2986 on: March 22, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

Transparent background in creature sprites are always portrait is black ingame. It only changes for status effects, to another color, but it will never show the actual tile under the creature. Phoebus confirmed that as well.

The never-ending sleep of the mages is because of NOSTUN. I fixed it for the next release, you just have to delete the TAG in the creature_standard.txt And I mention thie probably for the 10th time, but if the game is too hard, just turn of any race in the GUI. Balancing is on the list for the next version, but you can balance the game yourself by pressing one button ;)

Kudaderu just send me a fixed version of the MasterworkDF for MAC. He mentioned that he missed some lib files while packaging. Is updated on DFFD, so anyone that got an error message on Mac could try a fresh download.

GRAPHICS: Sprites for everything. Transparent ones. 58 (12.8%)
GUIDES: Finish all building guides. (50% are done) 74 (16.3%)
TEST: Slaves 2.0: Convert captured invaders. (Possible?) 65 (14.3%)
NEW: Fishing Pond / Magma Fishing Pond.  40 (8.8%)
BALANCING: Frost Giants, Automatons & Cave Civs. 55 (12.1%)

About the leading poll options: Transparent sprites wont work, but I made a list of all creatures still needing a sprite and made the seperate thread to collect them all ;)  Guides are mostly done, I have 48 building guides finished now. The convertion of trapped invaders to working civ members causes instant crashes however. Seems that this idea is not possible right now. Another solution for slaves would be to create a female pet dwarf caste, since they give offspring without being married (which leads to many kids) and can be bought at embark or from caravans. Very undwarfish though, buying dwarven concubines that you "pasture" in a harem just to breed. This is the only other way to implement slaves into the game I could find. Other then that I can only make a pet that pretends to be intelligent, but cant join the army or do labor. Naturally armored/equiped goblins for example. Buy "enslaved goblin lasher", buy "enslaved goblin swordsman". You pasture them, and the get enraged at enemies, fighting for you. Unuseable for attacks though, since you cant give them station commands, and the civilians that pasture them would run away from the enemy before they get close enough with the slaves. 

The fish farm is done. And balancing for the frostgiants and automatons (and removing the insane materials from cave civs) is on the list. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:42:28 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 22, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »

Finally, I made it through the fifth year under masterwork mod. :D

So far, I experienced several dark stranglers sieges, turned out to quite easy to handle after several attempts with masterwork mod already.

Got someone turned into zombie in the middle of the summer, however I was kind of prepared for it. I mean, I felt something strange about seeing him was always hungrily looked at the other dwarfs. So, he turned as expected, unfortunately bite one of my dwarf before his death. Before the zombie spiral hit the road, the victim bled to death, so I was unable to test anything yet.

However, something weird did happen though. After some months passed, I found in the public burial ground that someone was holding the victim's bone right outside his coffin with "place item in tomb" on tag. (The coffin was claim by his corpse already). I tried to remove the coffin, and re-build it again. Still, some people kept taking turns holding his bone standing next to his coffin, mostly his relatives after I checked his relationship menu. So, a vanilla bug, or something went wrong?? I personally found this amazing, like someone was guarding his grave for eternity, tears :'(.

Oh, I remembered I saw his ghost once, because I forgot to engrave his slab. I quickly put him back to rest of course, and this holding bone thing came out all a sudden. Don't know if it was related.

And I must say again I have a wonderful time with this mod since I started a few weeks back. Just got sieged by a group of ettins, cyclops, rime (frost) giants, and great ogres. Hidden among them was one she-giant called Eldjotun (Some kind of Jotun from Norse myth)?? Man this girl is crazy, shooting flame ball of apocalypse and burning my beautiful wood land into living hell!! Hot damn!! Now, time to put my military dwarfs into some real tests, see if they are born giant slayers as we learned from the books!!

Thank you again Meph, for the great work!!

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 22, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »

Transparent background in creature sprites are always portrait is black ingame. It only changes for status effects, to another color, but it will never show the actual tile under the creature. Phoebus confirmed that as well.

ahhh very good - thank you for clarifying! i wonder, then, given how much better it looks to set sprite backgrounds to a neutral color then to leave them black, whether it would be feasible to go with a solution like narhiril's? that would just involve setting the sprite backgrounds to a consistent neutral color, similar to the one in elves.png graphic, and assigning that color as alpha channel.

i could probably do that over the next few days if you want.

I find it's much easier to just use .png images with neutral background colors and/or alpha channels.  I've been using .png alpha channeled images for a long time now.  It's true that the neutral background looks a bit nicer, but I'm keeping it consistent in case true transparency ever gets implemented.

i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 22, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »

Can someone please tell me why the drow won't let me order pets?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

AndyDish

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy Dwarf Beards Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 22, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »

So bug fixes are low on the list? Or re-balancing? seriously I thought it was mod, mod, mod, fix, fix, fix... B/W awesome mod!
Rivers of ale, yeah sounds like dwarf fortress.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:58 pm »

The never-ending sleep of the mages is because of NOSTUN. I fixed it for the next release, you just have to delete the TAG in the creature_standard.txt

Looking through with CTRL+F, they don't seem to have NOSTUN, and the only related tags they have are NOFEAR and LIKES_FIGHTING.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:10 pm »

So bug fixes are low on the list? Or re-balancing? seriously I thought it was mod, mod, mod, fix, fix, fix... B/W awesome mod!

Balancing frost giants is one of the items in the poll, if it's your priority, vote for it!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2993 on: March 22, 2012, 05:19:48 pm »

Bugfixes and the leading items on the poll are high in my to-do list. But I really have not a lot of time, the next days I wont even have internet...

The building guides and the sprites take a lot of time as well. The problem is that I am travelling again, on the move so to speak. I have no regular routine currently and cant even guess when I finish the next release.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 22, 2012, 05:23:32 pm »

heehee! the ants come marching one by one hurrah hurrah! . arming my milita with sladmantine weapons and armor huzzah huzzah!

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

Meph, if they solve the "taste dwarven blood" bug, you could just make gobbos and such tameable...The difficult thing would be making they work as slaves, since i think that slaves should at least go to the mines for black lung and so, i think it's more probable that you'd need to make some hardcode changes to implement slavery.

Some races are all for slavery, but not dorfs, so if anything, slavery would mean "go and get killed so i don't have to" kind of job, that would be fine if you put tame on and Pen them on the entrance =D

By the way, this plague thing, how can all dorf immigrants be infected?
I'm using a quarantine area burrow to keep them from making a "Oh Crap" kind of spiral...
Can't it be a little less contagious? They just keep vomiting on my whole fortress...

Oh! Last thing, i can't get layering to work, only padded shirts are ok for me, mittens, cloaks and trousers are just on the way (at least with breastplates or platemails)...
Is it intended?

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 22, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »

its a vannila .. feature? that equiping dwarves with layered armor requires you to generally do it by hand.. putting on one sock at a time per dwarf

- also meph.  whats the purpose of slademantine vs adamantine? =(^.-.^)= farming ants is great =D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:41:36 pm by Fairin »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2997 on: March 22, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »

Slade is heavy. Adamantine is sharp and light. Slademantine is heavy and sharp. :) It is slightly weaker then adam, and slightly lighter then slade, and combines a bit of both. You also get 2 bars for each time you mix 1 bar slade and 1 bar adam, so you get more, but slightly weaker adam out of it.

Oh! Last thing, i can't get layering to work, only padded shirts are ok for me, mittens, cloaks and trousers are just on the way (at least with breastplates or platemails)... Is it intended?
Will check ;)

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 22, 2012, 06:49:33 pm »

I've just noticed my military Dwarves won't put on a cloak & a breastplate at the same time if assigned in the menu no matter how I put it. rather saddening since I like the mind aesthetic of cloaks flapping in the wind as my dwarves cleave goblins in half with a hammer
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2999 on: March 22, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Yeah, thats because all clothing has the SHAPED tag, which means that is has a solid shape, and does not count as clothing anymore, but as armor. I had to do this to avoid it rotting. With the clothing fix for the next DF version this should be no issue anymore.

To quote the devlog from today: We want to test a bit more, but it should be ready soon.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 749