Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835450 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

awesome - great work meph!! =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey Meph, know how you have done all this awesome work specifically directed at the lag caused by the claimed clothing bug...

well...

Toady is fixing the clothing bug...

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome mod!!!

I have a question, is it only me or is armor layering buggy???
I can't have my dorfs to wear mail shirt + BP + cloak... They just don't get them...

BTW, the magic thing, why not make slabs or essences for each magic (ice, fire, acid, etc.)? They would need to be ultra difficult to make, and the reading reaction should use a lot of time (so only a few could be trained without dieing of thirst and hunger).

That's my 2 cents...

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aren't the frost giant a bit overpowered? I got 3 frost giants thieves sneak in my fortress, then discovered by cats, and then... they killed my 120 dwarfs, along with my 30 soldiers military. They were armed in iron but all their attacked glanced away, and the giants ended my last dwarf with a bit of "great sword torn open" or things like that =(

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do the new "cold hammer <metal>" reactions at the crucible do? They seem to refine ore without fuel? Is there a drawback?

Edit: oh, I think I see, they require 3 ore?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:40:02 am by Goncyn »

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeap, the drawback is those WASTE a lot of ore.

@meph - if toady fixes the hardcoded clothing bug will MW use clothes again?
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey i am also for a release now :D

Meph i've sendet you a PN, hopefully you got it. Im building up a germen Wiki for DF so maybe i can show your Mod there.

Greets
Deutsche Dwarf Fortress Wiki im Aufbau:

http://dwarffortressde.wikispaces.com/

Bei Interesse oder Kritik bitte an mich

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I am not Meph, but removing the clothing was not just for the buggy things, it also makes lot less items to track, inducing much less fps loss per dwarf.
So I think if he puts it back, it will be on an optionnal basis.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I am not Meph, but removing the clothing was not just for the buggy things, it also makes lot less items to track, inducing much less fps loss per dwarf.

Is this for sure? Do "lots of items in the game world" really cause an FPS hit?

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@meph If I add a bug report page to the wiki, and help sorting the reports, would that help? This thread gets about 80 posts per day, thats a bit much.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be it optional or not. Fixed clothes would be a huge improvement, at least for me (but i bet many people will be happy about that too). The best thing about clothes is they actually help dwarves to survive (basic armour). And if you want your dwarves dressed up nicely you need to keep producing clothes as they usually decay in time.

Optional or not - clothes pleeease  8)
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Cato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

firebreathers and webbers no longer need to be able to path to their targets to attack.  Can anyone confirm that this works for MW turrets now too?  So perhaps we can now put bullet or slade turrets safely in the interior of the keep?

I can confirm that. I've been using all the turrets I get through fortifications. The fire and warpstone ones can take a little while to fire (not sure if that's related) and the range can be an issue (with non-slade/bullet turrets) since I have channel - fortification - turret so the enemy has to be close to be in range but the slade/bullet turrets work great from behind fortifications.

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aren't the frost giant a bit overpowered? I got 3 frost giants thieves sneak in my fortress, then discovered by cats, and then... they killed my 120 dwarfs, along with my 30 soldiers military. They were armed in iron but all their attacked glanced away, and the giants ended my last dwarf with a bit of "great sword torn open" or things like that =(

You basically have to destroy every body part separately. I deal with them one squad per enemy. In my second and third masterwork game, i deactivated them.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You basically have to destroy every body part separately. I deal with them one squad per enemy. In my second and third masterwork game, i deactivated them.

That's a lot of work. I wouldn't complain if they were tough invaders, but thieves? i mean they just popped into my great hall, bypassing all my defences. I know dwarves doesn't have the best eyes... but to miss a giant ice dude in a corridor, until a cats spot it, that's a bit...

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this for sure? Do "lots of items in the game world" really cause an FPS hit?
Even more than you could think.
Basically, there are two main things that heavily affect the FPS in every cases, plus some in certain circumstances:

1. Path finding: the more tiles there are that can be accessible, the more it will cost to find path. Also, the more living entities there are on the map, the more it will affect it too.
Basically, that is one of the reason why people use ways to close access to big useless zones, physically or not (burrows, d-o menu, doors and bridges...)

2. Clutter: Every item is tracked, and every time a dwarf needs to do anything with an item (or thieves, or anyone else), it will do a lot of checks on the present items. Having a lots of stones laying around, a ton of crafts you never sell, stray ammo from fights, tons of clothes... Every item will affect FPS, unnoticeable, but large amount of them will have a big impact. That is the main reason for some DF Hack tools that destroy, remove owned items etc. Owned items are even worse, as the dwarves will check a lot of things about what they own. Clothes and items that deteriorate also do checks to know their own condition at this point, to know if they are to be broken or not, on fire, having water on them, blood, everything.

Optional 1: Fluid movements. this one is a really big one, and the main reason you might want to skip the waterfall mist generator. Moving fluids, meaning every fluid that you made move, for one reason or an other, will do a lot of checks every frame, so a big tank filling up, waterfalls, pump stacks, and every liquid that is not naturally there will hurt your fps very badly.

Optional 2: Temperature. Mostly heat from fire and lava. Every time you move lava or fire, every affected and adjacent tiles will check for temperature, and calculate whether or not it will affect it. Magma pumps can cause a big pike of lag, as well as flooding with lava, but all heated tiles and items will also affect the FPS. Disabling temperatures fixes this, but it will not warn you about magma being near (the hot stones), so it's a double-edged sword. Plus, if temperatures is off, nobody will be hurt by fire or magma, at most they will drown in it, so no magma trap either. (not sure about magma industry, never put it off).

Basically, that is it, but most people add population, but it is in fact due to the two first reasons, a dwarf by itself won't cause much lag, it's interactions and moves will cause it.

Hope it clears the matter a bit.

Note: It all comes from !!Science!! made by people on this forum, as well as a bunch of tests I did myself, in no case can it be regarded as absolute truth.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 749