Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835414 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i say "tome of life", "tectonic grimore", and "necronomicon" =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found two issues might cause some problems.

First, every now and then, it will auto generate "weave thread into cloth" in the Loom.

Second, also every now and then, it will auto queue "burn bone armor" in the Crematorium.

Don't know if these were intended feature, but I found it quite a disturb to manullly cancel this order. If I don't keep a watchful eyes, my threads and bone armor will just gone, lol.

Myiagros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The weaving of thread is a vanilla feature, go into (O)rders then Workshop and you can disable it.

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks man!!

Both issues solved

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i say "tome of life", "tectonic grimore", and "necronomicon" =D

im liking your idea sayke...

those all sound very nice,
and before someone complains about necronomicon being from something else, its translates roughly to book of the dead, and is therefore totally reusable.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

I'd like to second removing any real-world references, as it does break immersion for me.  There's so many possible DF references - a Carp God instead of Posiedon, etc. 

Re: Removing steeloak and ironoak metals and losing flavor - I have to say one of the things I enjoy in this mod is the effort to remove 'redundant' items, if they don't add enough flavor.  I feel that the 'method' of raising and harvesting steeloak and ironoak is quite flavor enough - I like the gameplay and decisions it involves, that to me is meaningful flavor.  Having the final end materials made of those things falls more on the redundant side than the flavorful side to me.  A player that creates steel/iron using this method is well aware that it came from special oaks, even if the end item just says 'steel'.  I also suspect players will typically use oaks to supplement maps with a thin normal supply of steel, and the ability to pool all the steel bars for item making would probably be welcome.  Only issue I can see flavor-wise is that I can see one wanting a siege of elves to show up in stealoak armor and not steel armor, but I think you already define special armors for them anyway.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^good points.

i do believe meph already gave elves some strange custom armor.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Elves will show up in iron and steel then. I can either give them metals, OR only wood, so they would mix steeloak and ironbark with scrapwood swords and fungiwood armors. Damn elves ;)

auto queue "burn bone armor" in the Crematorium.
This is definetly not automated.

About the books: generally I have three options:
1. give them standardized names, thought *-bible was obvious.
2. Give them nicer sounding names.
3. Get rid of them and use adamantine directly.

The books, however they are called, limit the reactions to trading. I do not quite like it. I would rather add a reaction to the magic building to write one (similar style to the scriptorium)  While adding a custom reagent, it would be one people already know from the mod, so they can adapt easily to it. All depends on the poll (which looks undecicive) and my final decision on the matter, if I base magic on Adamantine alone, or differentiate the three schools of magic, so one is weak and can be accessed early, another one only with magma, and another one with adamantine. This would of course lead to horrible inbalances, for people who embark on volcanos and such. I personally lean towards Adamantine, while still looking for a way to make them mutually exclusive to each other. People can only choose one in each Fortress. But except ridiculus useage of syndromes I couldnt find anything. (I could, of course, make the choice in the GUI. Instead of turning Magic ON/OFF, you can turn magic ON/DWARF/EVIL/GOOD. But this would remove the choice from the actual game and I do not prefer to do so) Any ideas ?

Other Ideas I had:
Living tree - cavern lvl3 => a tree you can butcher. More for flavor then use, since no one will go through 3 cavern levels just for meat.
Living rock drop => same as cave fungus right know, 2-5% of them leave a stone you can butcher.
raise value of all seeds by 1 => Makes farming slightly harder since you cant take as much on embark.
steeloak just steel / ironbark just iron ? => Will be done, I like the idea of less redundancy.
Landmine Upgrades. => Done in pet armory ? (or rename golem forge to something techy, do all constructs there)
Turret upgrades => take fire turret, make hellfire turret, bullet => slade, acid => warpstone.
Negative syndromes for cheap booze => dizzinesss, blindness, fever, vomit.

I finished one very, very basic disease, a migrant that carries a infective vomiting syndrome. Nothing harmful, just colorful, for about 1/2 season. A test, I guessed that people will notice this the most, while not harming anyone with my little testrun.

And a surprise for everyone: What would you say if the next release would support Phoebus, Ascii, Ascii+/Vherid, Matrix and JollyBastion ? I just ask, because, well... it does. 8) I also added a truetype ON/OFF button to the GUI for people who cant find F12 ;)

I'd like to second removing any real-world references, as it does break immersion for me.  There's so many possible DF references - a Carp God instead of Posiedon, etc. 
I will ponder upon this. Maybe an easter egg option ? Would be a lot of work, since so many things are in so many different places. If anyone goes through the raws and gives me a list of things he finds too real-life, or immersion breaking, I'd be glad. One comment on this: No matter what, the epic/foul morningstar will stay :P

PS: I support the notion that a bible is indeed christian and does not fit. I had it first as the human tradegood (since in my mind they are crusader types) and just expanded on it, without questioning the symbology.

EDIT:@bombzero: Custom armor, yes. Custom materials that armor will be made of ? No, impossible to control this. DF does not allow specific items of a specific material to be added. I give them a reaction to make an armorgrade metal, only to the elves ? This is ok, they trade it. I give them a reaction to directly make a full armorset of this metal ? Does not work... otherwise the flavor would be much easier to do, and I could take away these last metals from the civs. I have no idea where drows get rose gold from for example.

EDIT: Forgot: Most of the building guides are for the NEXT version. I include them in the next download, till then I just posted them so people can have a look. If anyone wants to put them on the wiki, be my guest.

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:25:17 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Meph, dwarfs shouldn't be able to use morningstars one-handed. morning stars are rather large maces in most examples i could find.
also another fun fact, im so far unable to figure out what era of war hammer dwarf fortress portrays. the fuedal era kind were pretty much blunt halberds, the imperial era kind were specialized sledgehammers. the most likely match is the earlier example of a stick with a heavy weight. aka.

______
 /         \
 \______/
      |
      |
      |

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

About the diseases. How would one cure them? Alchemy compounds % potions? Medicines? Or just quarantine the damn thing (my favorite)?
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You cant cure it. A plague hits the fortress, you poor doctors are helpless. This is the middle ages, so no one knows about virii and bacteria. Like I said, it is just explosive vomiting currently ;) I wuite like the idea: A plague has hit your fortress. Detect it and let the migrants die a slow death outside, OR half your fortress dies. You have to recover afterwards. Oh, a plague hits your fortress at the same time of an invasion ? Tough luck, have fun. (all optional of course, but still. More fun for the fungod)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:29:20 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Morningstars are just blunt trauma weapons with a puncturing spike or more.  Anyone could make one tailored to size.  Since horsemen used them, they certainly can be used one handed.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

@bombzero:  I could be wrong but I thought a morning star was a mace with spikes whereas a mace can be blunt, spiked, bladed, etc.  Similarly a flail is a mace with the ball connected to the shaft by a chain.  Thus they can be both 2 handed or 1 handed depending upon the weight and balance of the weapon.

@Meph or whoever:  I just had a "The Ice Wizard whoever" show up.  At first I though oh crud...FUN.  Then I noticed in the units screen that he was friendly and I thought Yeah!, Gandalf come to defend us.  Then he walked into my depot where all my mastiffs are....and they ate him....   Does the Friendly reading in units not work?

@Meph, My Grazing animals still die of starvation outside regardless of how much grass they eat.  I assume this isn't happening to anyone else as I haven't heard about it so it must be a glitch in my embark.  I have some caves growing and will try them in there next to see if it may be something with the grass outside. 

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You cant cure it. A plague hits the fortress, you poor doctors are helpless. This is the middle ages, so no one knows about virii and bacteria. Like I said, it is just explosive vomiting currently ;) I wuite like the idea: A plague has hit your fortress. Detect it and let the migrants die a slow death outside, OR half your fortress dies. You have to recover afterwards. Oh, a plague hits your fortress at the same time of an invasion ? Tough luck, have fun. (all optional of course, but still. More fun for the fungod)

Awesome! I just hope there will still be a chance that not EVERYONE will be affected by the disease, or some will eventually recuperate. Like 10% of the population, hehe.

@Morwaul - are you sure they are actually spending time on the grass? maybe it looks like grass but is not grass? Just my thought.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Some more fixes:
 - Changed layer permit of platemail. Should be able to wear padded shirts underneath now.
 - Nerfed barbed wire. Now 1:2:3 hits for the different versions, instead of 3:3:3
 - Fixed all the wording for material emissions. Now refer to the proper attacks, each creature has custom text.
 - Replaced all [SOFT] tags with [HARD] even in the new optional clothing, to stop rot.
 - Nerfed turret occurence (one creature with castes, instead of 7, ~85% less turrets with migrants)
 - Acid and Warpstone vapor is green now, as it should be.
 - Removed steeloak_metal and ironbark_metal. Now produce steel and iron instead.
 - Raised value of plants and seeds every so slightly. 1 point. (no spamming seeds at embark)
 - Added [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:CITY] [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_TOMBS] [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] to all friendly civs. For adv. mode.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:23:13 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 749