Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835264 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@meph - totally in favor of gem scarabs, advanced bone system, and making rock pots etc harder. imho everything should be possible without metal, or wood, etc, but it should be harder, slower, and not as good... and that's the direction things are going. everything should have substitutes, but not perfect substitutes.

@lemmily - you can try the dfhack "changevein" command. i've had good luck with it, but sometimes the results are a bit weird... i haven't tried it with warpstone but it might work. lemme know what happens!
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's one thing i don't like about this mod: My dorfs move in Lightspeed D:
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

@Meph Alright, I followed the discussion and I like how you're going about things. Every object should have a preferred way of making it, and less convenient alternatives. In that perspective the slight nerf to some stonecutter items to require blocks makes sense, too. Maybe if DF modding allows it, you could make rock bins/pots/beds much more heavy or large and therefore less convenient to use than wood ones, because they take significantly more time to haul? It makes sense both from a realism and gameplay perspective.

The mod changes the default FPS to 150. Just change it to something else in the mod launcher (I think vanilla speed is 100), don't even need to directly edit init files. You can tweak it as much as you want, the game reads that value every time it starts, i.e. it's not stored in your save.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

umm? huh?

also meph, on blocks for rock bins/barrels... while i said it makes sense im really just going to have to see how it plays out in practice. if its too damn tedious its just gonna piss me off...

liking the ABS thing hugo..... although... if you can do it via Raws, why hasn't toady?

@isitanos: i don't think making rock bins/barrels should have significant disadvantages over wood/metal ones. wood and metal ones are painfully expensive to make, and impossible in some biomes in the case of wood. meph just provides slightly slower alternatives to some things, and all out alternatives to annoying things. (i.e. barrel demand versus wood supply.)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

Anvils:  Honestly I never understood why anvils require an anvil to make.  You would never hammer 40 lbs of steel into an anvil.  You would make a form out of plaster, stone, ceramic or something and poor the liquid metal into it.  Thus I would think anvils should be made at the smelter or crucible anyway.

Bins:  I like having options and thus see nothing wrong with stone bins.  From a realism stand point they would have to be very thick to avoid breaking and would thus be insanely heavy.  In DF though, I cannot think of a difference between a stone bin and a stone coffin.  They are the same (except a coffin has a lid) and should be made in the same fashion.  But hey, if you want to make it use blocks instead of stones that is fine with me.

Garden of Gia:  I like the Garden because I like starting on mixed magic biomes.  When I create new worlds (about 10 so far) using the Garden everything is the same every time.  The good biomes are always good, evil=evil, etc. and the same races are always present with nearly the same numbers.  I expect the land to stay the same but figured the civs and biomes would at least have some variance.  The population numbers do change but only slightly.  I can change which civs are present by changing the active Races but see no way to alter the biomes. I am not sure if this is by design or not so I figured I would mention it.  Assuming it is by design, is there something I can change to make the biomes change allegiance and have a bit more randomness with the civs when creating new worlds from the Garden template?  Also, I have not tried the other worlds yet so no clue about them.

Also, a great big Thank You Meph.  I am enjoying the heck out of your mod.

Iax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know if im just doing it wrong, but you might want to update the tips and tricks section of the manual and remove the part about danger rooms.
I tried making a danger room with just using 1 wooden training spear per upright, and it killed my steel outfitted squad (with cloaks and hoods) in like 5 seconds.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so i just gor 30 migrants, all of them are legendary in atleast one social skill
also i found great shark jaw, dug it out, but my archeologist still shows it red...
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so i just gor 30 migrants, all of them are legendary in atleast one social skill
also i found great shark jaw, dug it out, but my archeologist still shows it red...

You have to cut them at the jewler's workshop first, then you can use them at the archaeologists workshop.

I'd also like a bit more randomness to the advanced params. At least volcanos, rivers, and other things moving around a bit so it's not the exact same map in every way every single time.

Dark Archon

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mathematician
    • View Profile

I have created over 20 worlds with low mineral scarcity - pregenned and normal. In all of them I didn't found even one piece of iron ore. I practically bathe in copper, gold, aluminium, tin and platinum, but never get even a small vein of iron. What I did wrong?
Found the mistake - it seems that turning off option "simple minerals" restore iron ore in all her glory  ::) but these are still small numbers, compared to copper and gold. That is fine too, I guess.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:11:09 am by Dark Archon »
Maybe you are dreaming right now.

"Meh, what's scientific progress without a few dead planets?"

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember there being a mod or something (maybe it was vanilla) which allowed you to "Hive" Spiders. It makes silk farms a little more easier that way...

Any chance???
Bit late but my dwarfs were collecting silk that has been fired by the web turret so you could probably easily rig up a couple of web turrets behind some fortifications and an enemy for them to shoot at. I am playing in 1.5 if it makes a difference.

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the crafting in adenture mode, my orc is now running around with aaaaa giant leopard boot :D

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont know if im just doing it wrong, but you might want to update the tips and tricks section of the manual and remove the part about danger rooms.
I tried making a danger room with just using 1 wooden training spear per upright, and it killed my steel outfitted squad (with cloaks and hoods) in like 5 seconds.

Interesting enough: Does it do the same with a group of invaders?

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help, and should my dwarves have turret and landmine pets?
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems that my squad is storing their food in the goods stockpile  just wondering if this a bug with DF or masterwork?

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just have to share a story that occured in my fortress during this mod.

Spoilered material is Spoilerific.

With the new
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
addition to the mod, the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
happened in my dining room, which was carved out of Limestone and the new coal material (Beginning with "A" i forget its name). Unfortunately, a nearby drake happened to be this Dwarfs pet. Immediately initiating combat, the drake thought it would be a brilliant idea to use its flame breath in the;
1) Dining room filled with 50 dwarves
2) Dining room carved out of coal
3) Direction of my barracks
This resulted in two things; It killed about 25 dwarves and set all the coal (Which, i must remind, the room was built out of) on fire.
I immediately told my two strong military to move through the (Burning) piles of coal, only for them to immediately die.

The fortress descended into chaos, with smoke and fire filling the bedrooms and workshop. I immediately burrowed the entire surviving population outside to escape the smoke and the (Now burning) demon.

After a week or so of fighting, the demon eventually was killed by the drake, (Which i think was also on fire) and then, the drake too, died. I disabled the burrow order (The dwarves were getting thirsty) and the dwarves returned to work.

Unfortunatly, it was at this point the (Now massive) fire reached the booze. Tantrum spiral, Abandoned fort.

100% !!FUN!!

So, in the end, i learned a few things;

1) Those Spoilerific People are Evil and should be killed on sight
2) That drakes should not be penned anywhere near dwarves if i can avoid it, and
3) Coal burns for years on end.

Just had to share that :P
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 749