Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835153 times)

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - for 34.03. Rebalanced.
« Reply #1755 on: March 01, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »

Any tips for dealing with warpstone for the miners?  I don't want to deviate from my quickfort design (nearly perfected fort-ina-box), but appreciate the extra challenge.  So far I'm making extra miners and preemptive caskets and made sure they get their own rooms so they can rest up more easily.  It seems like the hospital is useless to their recovery though.  Will leather armor help against the dust/vapor from contacting the skin? Also thinking that the miners in a squad with a low requirement will keep them from all hitting the same death cloud at once, but not sure how effective that would be (would help with defence later on though).  My last resort is to send in my suspected vampires to do the dirty work.

Also for a new add/ask for the mod...  Are power requirements an editable option for workshops?  Seems like more things should need power (instead of always using fuel as power) to be useful.  The timbermill and stone grinder are two that come to mind., but even the blast furnace and other high teir buildings should use it.  Could expand with other ways to create power - pump-operator generators (aka hamsterwheel)  and even fuel based ones.

Anyway, loving the mod bringing the best game-ness out of this simulation!
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:24 pm »

if you REALLY, must get rid of unstable warpstone, give a low skilled miner hoods and masks and cloaks and such in excess, and then have him alone mine out the stones. id say 40% chance he lives each one.

also, just tear out stable warpstone, it only causes coughing up blood, mild vomiting, and a bit o' unconsciousness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1757 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:13 pm »

Hi. I arrived in Cartagena, beautiful city, might do some modding this evening though. And to make sure: When I said 3-5 days on a boat I did mean a sailing yacht = sailing = no modding.

I noted all the reports, thanks for those, helps greatly. I might even be able to upload a fixed reaction_masterwork.txt. That would be save compatible.

About the war pets that cant be equipped with armor: Good find, dont know if this is hardcoded though. Might be able to fix it, no promises though.

about healers/necromancers: There is only so much I can do. Interaction AI seems to be difficult for dwarves to comprehend, they ALWAYS target every valid target. Healers will even try to heal unharmed/hostiles creatures. Stupid ^^ This means that a magic system might be a bit tricky (the leading poll item) but I will have a look.

Normal warpstone does only force your miners to take a rest in bed, slowing down the progress, otherwise they will be fine.

@flobulon: Any progress on those epic flowcharts ?

Thanks to everyone for the nice feedback, afftor for the criticism/buglist and the usual suspects for answering questions while I was away. Btw: Simple Mineral settings does remove plenty of minerals, even complete metals. No zinc, lead, tin... who needs those anyway.  But yeah, more stuff for the manual I guess (faedogs as well, they are a genesis addition)

PS: You shouldnt get necros/healer as migrants/traders anymore, they have pop ratio 0. HAve to change it I guess, to make them a complete seperate creature.

Same goes for the blueprints. How can you make those ? They are not enabled in the entity file, and only aviable through trading. Or should be ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Buffbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:51 pm »

One slight problem with dwarves spawning as Holy or Necros:  children.

It seems children can have the power of life and death also, which is much worse than an adult with them.  At least with an adult you know who the culprit is and you can take measures to contain the situation, or use it to your advantage.  But with children, the reports don't show their names, it only shows, "Dwarven child gestures ~ something's corpse shudders and begins to move!".  And when you have 30 of these little useless buggers it's near impossible to cull them out before its too late. 

Funny that my 88 dwarves in my not-even 2-year old fort are all dead (replaced with zombies of course), not due to the 3 megabeasts showing up in the first year, but a stupid unnamed child.  :D

Is it possible to set Holy and Necros to not spawn at all, and just have ones you want read the books; or does removing their spawn entirely break the caste?

EDIT:  and, yes, this is with 1.4.1 version.  Pop rate is set to zero still.  I double checked the raws for both to be sure.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:56:03 pm by Buffbot »

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »

Ordering ale to be made form pig tails at the still is producing "drink" for me. Still seems to more-or-less work, shows up in the right place in stocks and I think the beards have been drinking it, might just be a simple name change.

Enjoy your sailing adventure, Meph!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1760 on: March 01, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »

To make your Holy/Necros work properlly don't let them have thier powers right away, and make it one caste know as "enlightened" and you can choose his path by reaction in the temples. Say his first reaction makes the "enlightend" into a necro, first power is "life drain" its a perm syndrom that gives him a SYN_CLASS:DARK_ART and thus stops him from being able to use holy spells. Or keep them both seperate and make it so they have to learn their powers (not an innate power, must pray at their aligned temple) this will stop random necros raising dead and still allow them to be super rare castes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1761 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

Interesting Idea, but that would limit magical castes to rare migrants, and normal dwarves couldnt learn it at all. If I understand you correctly. btw, almost did not recognize you with the new avatar ;)

And, since several people sent me a PM about it, here my travel-route. Red is done, blue is planned. I gradually add more blue every time I get close to the end. Dots are for boat, thin lines for plants, rest bicycle. (not all flights are marked, would be too confusing)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »

Holy crap, that must have been an amazing trip so far.

However, I noticed you missed a continent. No biking across the snowy cold southern lands? ;)

Flobulon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »

@Meph - no progress on the flowcharts yet I'm afraid, been snowed under with work recently, and it looks like that'll be the case for a while. Still planning to do some more though!

Enjoy your sailing!

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »

Interesting Idea, but that would limit magical castes to rare migrants, and normal dwarves couldnt learn it at all. If I understand you correctly. btw, almost did not recognize you with the new avatar ;)

And, since several people sent me a PM about it, here my travel-route. Red is done, blue is planned. I gradually add more blue every time I get close to the end. Dots are for boat, thin lines for plants, rest bicycle. (not all flights are marked, would be too confusing)

Interesting trip. Suffice to say much of that I can't travel to due to particulars of my career. Well I could but only if we've invaded and set up shop and even then I'd just get to see the base unless I wanted 10+ years of headaches afterwards.

Anyways back to topic I can talk more about: I personally would prefer that the various caster types be created in fort and not come in from anywhere. Eliminates child problems, bad timing or spell abilities going batcrazy because they don't really understand no don't heal the titan I'm beating on. Wish more folks had gone for random features.

Also the customization in the UI needs more 'turn off/turn on' ability especially with all the new features whenever possible.  Also Drow are just as populated as elves and other races, is that intended or should they be more limited?

Buffbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 01, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »

Re: casters - Hugo's idea certainly sounds like it has promise.  Would certainly sort out the randomness I'm currently seeing.  I guess it all comes down to whether or not it is doable, and as I haven't delved into DF modding yet, I'll leave that for those with the 'spikes of raws' skillset  :)

@Meph, wow epic trip!  Always wanted to do something like that, and am currently working towards a round the world trip, albeit on a smaller scale than yours.  I bet you're having a blast though.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 01, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »

I agree about more turn off/on for new features. In my opinion this is by far the best thing about this mod, the ability to select what you want and what you don't want. Personally I don't want to overcomplicate the game, yet. I'd like to get accustomed to the current difficulty level and when I feel comfortable, enable the more difficult and advanced/interesting things.

Also, I want to put together a chart/guide for all the plants. Mostly what biomes you can plant it in and whether they are above ground or below ground. I found the file that lists all the information, however, I'm not positive on what certain things mean so if anyone can point out all the basic information so I know where to look for certain things, that would help a lot. As it is now I can only include what biome and season you plant them in, I would like to include other things as well, like if a plant does something specific (used to create dyes, drinks only, thread and drink, etc...) I'd like to include that as well.

If someone has already done something like this let me know so I don't waste time doing it as well. I tried to search the wiki for something that explains the info contained in these files like it explains with the advanced world gen but couldn't find anything:
1. What does [dry] mean? You can plant it without having to "water" the ground or something else?
2/3. You can make syrup out of it, and it is edible, and you can use it for cooking meals at the kitchen. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?
4. No idea what this is, growth rate? And is it important to know or more of behind the scenes things a majority of players wont notice or know about?
5. Anything in this that's useful to the average player?

Thanks in advance.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »

Just had two consecutive assaults by creatures that evade traps.

How am I supposed to get rid of goblin archers in a starting fortress when their number is above my whole population?
Good thing I built a little fortification, I let my two marksdwarves unload all my wood supply onto them, but now I need to grow more, and zombies show up.
Somehow, they are elven ones and also evade traps (yeah, my weak stone weapon traps aren't that great, but how many invaders will just pass through?), and somehow, my archers didn't even try to help my military (3 armoured from caravan deaths, level 3 in weapon and armour) that got slaughtered.

This mod is a little harsh on forts that try to limit population, even more than vanilla was.
At least we could rely a little on traps to injure the goblins before fighting them with lower numbers and skills, but now, it's just a destruction, and none of my attempts went past the fifth year because of this.
Might as well try to get the last "stable" save for the lastest fort, because apart from the trap evade, it was doing great, even managed to save some caravans thanks to my crazy bridge entrance (just about 10 bridges and 3 ways, to redirect caravans in danger).

That being said, are the elven "war beasts" able to reproduce themselves?
The dragons laid eggs, when they are in the world (not always the case apparently, as my elves didn't propose them in this one), but I didn't have the time for them to keep the eggs safe.
The magma hounds didn't seem to reproduce at all after 2 years, neither did the raptors.

Also, a little note:
Beware of the "Fortress defense" easiest mobs, some can and will ride animals, including the raptors, brown bears or other animals that are basically a bigger threat than the entire invasion force itself.
But if you are not prepared to receive them with a rain of ranged weaponry, it quickly gets messy because they immediately become as strong as middle strength invaders that comes way later.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 01, 2012, 08:37:09 pm »

reproduce at all after 2 years, neither did the raptors.

I had a nice Raptor farm in a MW1.2 fort.  You need nest boxes, and whatever trick to prevent dwarves from harvesting them that you would use for Turkeys or anything else.

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:07 pm »

Just had two consecutive assaults by creatures that evade traps.

How am I supposed to get rid of goblin archers in a starting fortress when their number is above my whole population?
Good thing I built a little fortification, I let my two marksdwarves unload all my wood supply onto them, but now I need to grow more, and zombies show up.
Somehow, they are elven ones and also evade traps (yeah, my weak stone weapon traps aren't that great, but how many invaders will just pass through?), and somehow, my archers didn't even try to help my military (3 armoured from caravan deaths, level 3 in weapon and armour) that got slaughtered.

This mod is a little harsh on forts that try to limit population, even more than vanilla was.
At least we could rely a little on traps to injure the goblins before fighting them with lower numbers and skills, but now, it's just a destruction, and none of my attempts went past the fifth year because of this.
Might as well try to get the last "stable" save for the lastest fort, because apart from the trap evade, it was doing great, even managed to save some caravans thanks to my crazy bridge entrance (just about 10 bridges and 3 ways, to redirect caravans in danger).

That being said, are the elven "war beasts" able to reproduce themselves?
The dragons laid eggs, when they are in the world (not always the case apparently, as my elves didn't propose them in this one), but I didn't have the time for them to keep the eggs safe.
The magma hounds didn't seem to reproduce at all after 2 years, neither did the raptors.

Also, a little note:
Beware of the "Fortress defense" easiest mobs, some can and will ride animals, including the raptors, brown bears or other animals that are basically a bigger threat than the entire invasion force itself.
But if you are not prepared to receive them with a rain of ranged weaponry, it quickly gets messy because they immediately become as strong as middle strength invaders that comes way later.

One word, PETS.

My animal yard is at the entrance of my fort. I haven't even trained or armored any of the damn things and through shear ZERG they slaughtered several undead ambushs and a couple of orc raids.

EDIT: Does 34.04 Fix any of the hard coded bugs? IE rock nuts not grindable and such? If so has anyone tried copy and pasting to the new version?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:47:31 pm by Ranik »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 749