Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834036 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

same question as Stronghammer. I was so exicited when i found out my location had a lot of anthracite and then when i tried to smelt it in the magma semelter I had no option ot smelt it. also is there a guide anywhere for metel working in this mod? becuase it is really complicated compared to vanilla.

I don't know about anthracite, i haven't struck it yet.  It looks like it should be the smelter.  But here is some info on metal working.  I think a reasonable start to get a basic bronze and steel industry up would be ~2 smelters, ~1 metallurgist, ~1 finishing forge, and 1 blast furnace, and as many forges as you want (~3?)

* Most smeltable ore, are handled at a smelter as usual.  Ores of iron only produce "coarse iron" now which is fine for anvils and etc., but not weapons grade until you process it at the Finishing forge.

* The alloy (bronze, electrum, etc.) reactions are separated to the Metallurgy building.  IIRC Black bronze and rose gold are now considered weapons-grade, so those are nice options in precious metally embarks.

* The transmuter can switch  precious metals to hard metals or vice versa at 2:1 cost, also useful in certain embarks.

* You will need a finishing forge to turn Coarse iron into Iron.  Then you have options.  (1) you can process iron to pig-iron at the smelter, and pig iron & iron to steel at finishing forge.  You can do that when you're just starting out.  Later (2) use the Crucible to combine iron straight with flux and coal to skip the pig iron step. (3) use the Blast furnace to do batches of 6 at a time.

There are a few new ores which are processed in a new way at a new building called the Arc furnace.  (these are some metals in real life that use an arc furnace, plus mithril.)  First you powder the ore into a bag, then to melt the powder into an ingot.  W and Ti should be good but Mithril and cobalt might or not work in your version, Meph just recently fixed a bug in that building.  Anyway you can safely skip it if you have steel.  You can also safely skip the alchemist, steel refinery, slade works, obsidian works, magma siege factory at first.

The ammo mint may be bugged.  I'd be interested to know if anyone is successfully using it.  It's not working for me and the reaction raw looks a little odd;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

; anyway, crossbows still work fine.

Hope that helps you get started
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:14:59 pm by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I recently downloaded this mod, and tried out the garden of gaia seed. However, no matter how many regions I made and which civilizations I chose, there were no subterranean crops available at embark.

Sorry for the bad luck.  My wife & i have both played a Gaia world and had subterranean crops fine on each of our first tries, so it is at least possible  ???

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ya i was sad when i discovered my 30,000 anthracite embark would be usless :'(

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hi everyone. Sad to see so many issues popping up.

About Anthrazite
Anthrazite reaction:

Part that got lost when I made the fancy categories in the entity file, since I sorted it into the new buildings, and anthrazite is (should be) in the (old) smelter:
[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANTHRACITE_TO_COKE] ... just add it to your entity_default.txt and you are good to go. Will be fixed for the next release.

About no underground crops
This happens when you have no water in the caverns. I set the water level quite low in all custom worlds, to avoid big flooded (useless) caverns. But I plan on redoing all 5 worlds with the perfect world utility. But this is a DF feature, even normal worldgen can have water and plant-less caverns.

About fossils and treasures
You have to cut them first in the jeweler, think of removing debris and stone. Good thing about it: It might produce a large gem, which you can cut into two small ones. (at the gemworkshop)  This way you get twice as much stuff out of fossils :) I also renamed the items to "hidden case" , "forgotten boy" and "treasure chest" to avoid: Large small treasure chest and similar nonsense.

@vondra: Yes, you need magma for magma buildings ;)

Generally it seems that the extensive manual is actually lacking in many parts. Will be remedied.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prewritten post about some more modding I did:

After the timberyard and all reactions were working perfectly, I noticed that the game does not stockpile wood, since it is an inorganic material now. Back to square one. I made new "fake" plants, giving them names of the wanted woodtypes, and made trees spawn the new plant_mat:wood-types. It works, I get the same results with generic wood, and they are stockpiled. Was a bit of work though, to rewrite all reactions and trees... -.-

I fixed the stockpiling for rocktip arrows/bolts, gem-arrows and bolts. With the drawback that they are all called: gemtip arrow, instead of ruby-bolt and diamond-arrow. I would have to write a custom reaction for every gem for this, or make the game accept stone-ammunition (hardcoded, it doesnt). Therefore: gemtip arrows it is.

I also noticed that the special ammo is not stockpiled, same goes for bonecrafts and bonearmor. Bone ammo is stockpiled and used correctly. I guess it is the same "inorganic-mat-problem" as with wood, but I currently dont know how to fix it yet.

The new brewery is finished, it takes 25 normal drinks and sugar, and creates a more valuable verion of the drink, the "royal drink-name-here" You can select any individual drink for this.

The weapon and armor upgrades are done as well. This requires a bit more text.

Normal weapons: These weapons you can manufacture at the forge, business as usual:

5 twohanded weapons
Halberd (spear), maul(mace), Meteorhammer(hammer), Zweihander(sword) and Great Axe(axe)

13 one handed weapons
mace, morningstar, pike, spear, large dagger, short sword, long sword, scimitar, war hammer, battle axe, chopping axe, pick and knuckle duster

2 ranged weapons
crossbow and javelin thrower

5 throwing weapons
mechanized axe thrower, springloaded knife, bola thrower, spear thrower and the hammer sling.

5 ammo types
axe blades, knife blades, bolas, throwing spears and hammer heads.
(A note: The ammo system in the game is horribly buggy. If one dwarf uses the hammer sling with hammer heads, and you later give him an mechanized axe thrower, he will not replace the old ammo (hammer heads) with the new ammo. You have to manually forbit/dump it, and assign new ammo. Therefore I recommend that you handle these new throwing weapons with care. You also have to go into the ammunitions screen (m-f) and disable all other ammo for the squad, otherwise they just take what they want. Remember: Dwarves are stupid.)

Upgraded weapons: These weapons you can only get with human help:

Humans now sell blueprints for the weaponry and the armory, instead of weapons and armor. The reason for this is, that you could order weapon and armor type, but not the material. Getting the right material was difficult, and candy gear impossible. Now, once you have the blueprint, you can build the building yourself, and manufacture all the gear you want.

Weaponry:
Takes any normal weapon (no 2-handed/throwing) and upgrades it to a better version. Requires only a workstep and no materials. You have a low chance (2%) to get an epic weapon out of this, in addition to the upgraded one. All upgraded weapons have an adjective (like: serrated, bearded, and so on) to seperate them from normal weapons. All epic weapons have a real name (like: sigmar's hammer) The epic weapons should be really, really strong, so give them to your champions.

You can also equip any crossbow or javelin thrower with a bayonet. Again, you have a low chance (2%) for an epic outcome, the mechanized crossbow or javelin thrower, with a much higher fire rate.

Armory:
Makes armor plates out of bars.
Takes breastplates, gauntlets, helms, shields, greaves, high boots and upgrades them with armor plates. This results in a better version, called: Plate-whatever. Even bone/leather/scale/chitin armor can be fitted with armor plates, for a stronger version.

Fakeedit: I dont know if I explained everything clearly, but the system is really simple when you see it ingame. (except how the game handles new ammo types. ^^)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remade all 10 embark profiles, to use the new materials. Mostly replacing the battle axes with cheaper chopping axes and the new wood types. I started with the macros as well, made 2 little fortresses for beginners (only the designations) and a mining pattern. I will improve on that, I guess you will hear more in the next post :)

Unrelated: I also figured out why all fish in the embark screen is listed twice. It's simply male and female. The actual gender is not listed, because fish is a vermin. I was wondering quite a lot about that (when I cleaned up the embark selection)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

ya i was sad when i discovered my 30,000 anthracite embark would be usless :'(

The reactions is defined, but not allowed for the Dwarven civ.  Add the lines

[PERMITTED_REACTION:ANTHRACITE_TO_COKE]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:PEAT_TO_COKE]

to entity _default.  Tested savecompatable that the reaction appears.  (Although I don't actually have any anthracite in my fort, so not fully test)

ps.  argh ninjad :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes, reactions should be save-compatible. No need for a new world gen.  And thanks for the heads-up on the peat. Of course, if one is missing, both are...

Edit: How in gods name (I am an atheist, but still) can I ninja you with such a long post ? ^^
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:48:43 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YAAAAAAY
 :D
the coal rich fort is saved

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Edit: How in gods name (I am an atheist, but still) can I ninja you with such a long post ? ^^

because you actually know what you're talking about, and didn't have to puzzle it out so slowly :)

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meph I couldn't tell from your post if I had to some how buy the ability to make bearded steel axes form the humans first, or just plain buy the axes directly from them, but I am able to access the reaction at the metalsmith'ss forge and have made about 10 bearded steel axes already. also thank you so much for telling me what to do about the athrancite.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey Meph, consider adding a friendly fire warning to adv golems, a Thunderbird showed up at my 5 season old fort, adv golem saved us all but cost us 8 dwarfs by himself.

as a side note, i survived a tantrum spiral... which was related in no way whatsoever...
there was tantruming everywhere, coffins were getting busted open, tables flipped, doors ripped off their hinges, than it slowly stopped and all my dwarfs were fine.
(thank Armok i had a psychiatrist)

P.S. thanking Armok is a totally reasonable substitute for DF players who are atheists. (like myself and you.)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Reading the change log; you may want to remove mummies from the game considering they'll be released in vanilla this month. Don't want them to clash...

Anyway, liking the new metal system. A bit micro-managey, but balanced and very customisable!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF cant create a new world with your mod here.
All worlds get rejected.
Did not use Perfect world, just your tools options.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I use peat to get coke? It seems to just vanish like soil when I mine it.

Also, how about we get a wiki going for this mod?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

How do I use peat to get coke? It seems to just vanish like soil when I mine it.

Also, how about we get a wiki going for this mod?

Yeah, it looks like Peat is set up as a soil in this mod.  My mistake for bringing it up, I assumed it was same as Genesis.  Not sure whether Meph intends to have that feature and how it fits in with simpler soils idea.

Masterwork peat

By contrast Genesis has a number of peaty and mire soils

And in Genesis the material called peat is a "stone" occuring in those layers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:44:31 pm by smakemupagus »

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a bug i cant quite understand. I disabled castes, then generated a new world. Now when embarking, some of the dwarves are normal dwarves without any caste description, as is to be expected. But some others have the description of high born dwarves in their description. How did that happen?

Edit: I did take a look at the testing arena with the raws of that world. there are only dwarfs and dwarfettes in the list. Why are some of my embark dwarves having that description?

Dwarf Therapist confirms that those are just normal dwarves, but the game shows a different description text. i dont really get what is going on here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:02:04 pm by CheatingChicken »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 749