Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1833800 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.0.8 - PHOEBUS/IRONHAND/ASCII/ASCII+
« Reply #450 on: January 22, 2012, 12:29:14 am »

Ah, an unnecessary double post. 

Just wanted to say that the manual is about 50% complete. And that this mod has been downloaded over a thousand times.  1065 times in 20 days. Wow. Would have never thought that at the time I did start with this.

I hope I manage to do some of the new optional materials, weapons and armor before the next release. I think I upload V.0.9 on the third of february. Then it has been exactly one month till the first aviable download :D
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ewhalecancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 22, 2012, 01:27:12 am »

something weird is happening. my dorfs keep losing the ability to stand and some how keep getting hydraulic fluid on their feet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #452 on: January 22, 2012, 01:30:44 am »

hydraulic fluid is the same as blood. Use dfcleanmap to remove it, no more problems.

The fluid itself has following ability:

[SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:slippery]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON][SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:UNDEAD]
         [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:TURRET_OF_ACID:ALL]
         [SYN_CONTACT]
         [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:BP:BY_TYPE:GRASP:ALL:LOCALIZED:START:1:PEAK:2:END:3]

A very short paralysis, also known as: Fall on your butt. Maybe I can make dwarves immune to it ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:14 am »

I've had two dungeon masters go insane from unhappiness due to a lesser's pretentious office arrangements in two different fortresses.

is this normal?
everyone else in the fortress is content or above, the mayor doesn't seem worried,
It looks like the DM is classed as 'royal' though the mayor is not (looking at the bottom of the thoughts/preferences)

Captain of the guard has a 'Decent Office' instead of an 'Office'
The phsyc/med dwarf (same dwarf in both) has a modest instead of meagre
Manager/broker has a modest instead of meager.

DM has had: pretty decent drink, legendary meal, utterly traumatized by lesser's pretentious office, dined in a legendary dining room, wonderfull drink, satisfied at work, disgusted by miasma, and a nice bath.

seems a little toooo unhappy about it.
I'm guessing that this is probably a problem in vanilla if we had DM in vanilla, not sure. can it be adjusted?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 22, 2012, 03:13:30 am »

Wow, I like the idea of landmines and turrets.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:23 am »

Sad times about evil magna creatures, but could you also do sort of a guide on the different types of metal, e.g. fireproofing? Surely normal iron is fireproof? Battle iron? None of these make sense to me.

admiralawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 22, 2012, 05:16:49 am »

...The problem with tilesets and mods is this: A fish might be tile235 in pheobus, but is tile16 in ironhand. You can copy over the tileset, no problem. But the raw will still refer to the old location, and you get wierd things. Like mushroom walls. ;)
Meph, (though everyone is free to poke holes in it or run with it)

I think I figured out a way to greatly simplify the process of adding support for additional tilesets (a little scripting skill is required, though).  It's not fully fleshed out yet, but the basic idea is to make your working raws tileset-agnostic by using variables instead of references to specific tiles, then use a small map file to translate your variables into a tiles for a given tileset.  When you are finished editing your working raws and want to either test them or generate a "final" copy for distribution, you'll run a small script (in the programming language of your choice) that just iterates over the raws, copies them to a new folder, then replaces your variables with the tiles from whatever map file you've used.  After the initial (one-time) effort of making your working raws tileset-agnostic and writing the script to do the translation, adding support for further tilesets is as easy as making a map file for that tileset.

Here is an example using the Masterwork 0.8 raws:

In a greatly abbreviated form, this is an excerpt from inorganic_stone_gem (intended for Phoebus' tileset):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After making it tileset-agnostic, it may look something like this:
Not all tilesets are going to have 4 separate tiles for unmined gems like Phoebus', but, as you'll see, that's not going to be a problem.

Here's roughly what our map file template looks like with the few variables we've used:
Now a map file for the default Phoebus tileset in Masterwork 0.8:
Now a map file for Ironhand's tileset v0.60 (the latest one, not the one packed with Masterwork):
And finally a map file for vanilla (or "ASCII") tilesets:

So, you end up with a single set of raws that, via the use of a simple intermediary file for translation, can support even tilesets intended to be used with heavily edited raws.  There's a not-insignificant amount of work front loaded with this method, but it should be smooth sailing after that.  Even if you can automate the bulk of the work, there will still need to be a little manual editing.  You still have to set the pillar tile in the init file to whatever is appropriate for the tileset.  Also, the same colors for an object may not work well with all tilesets (especially something like Ironhand's with its color trickery, or there could even be color oddities from trying to support both transparent PNGs and classic BMPs.)

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 22, 2012, 05:33:29 am »

Is there any way to easily undo the simplification of meat/leather/etc? Personally I like to see my dwarves munching on a specific animal. Adds some variety to the game. ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #458 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:19 am »

Looks like it could work :) But setting it up is a low of work, items dont always have just one tile. Have a look at plants, color is very important. Plants have up to 8 modificators.
[TREE_TILE:166]
[DEAD_TREE_TILE:166]
[SAPLING_TILE:182]
[DEAD_SAPLING_TILE:182]
[TREE_COLOR:4:0:0]
[DEAD_TREE_COLOR:5:0:0]
[SAPLING_COLOR:4:0:0]
[DEAD_SAPLING_COLOR:5:0:0]

@se5a: Shiny, thanks. I will fix that.

@tiresais: the metal upgrades make no sense ? They are about as simple as it gets. Try to look at it from a strategy game point of view, not simulation. I know that no thing like battle iron exists, but if you make a sword, would you use iron, or battle iron, just from the names ? ;)

Everyone just uses steel (or candy) for armor. All the time. There is nothing that might be better or worse in certain situations, so I added 3 versions of it. Fireproof for squads that fight near magma, firebreathing pets and against fireenemies. Light for faster squads, Battle for stronger squads. Next version also has heavy, for stronger blunt weapons.

@feralferret: Nope. It was quite difficult to set up, and it is a core element of the mod, speeding up FPS that is.

Kalithor123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 22, 2012, 09:19:06 am »

Well, it is not called BETA for nothing ;)

hehe a BETA mod for an ALPHA game  :)

2. Spelling errors I can fix, if I find them. Tipps is written like that in german, I never thought thet english would only have on p... since tipps is not german anyway, but a english word used by us. Strange that they changed the spelling. Anyway, how would you sort the GUI ?  I currently have it seperated in: Options, Race, Creatures, Buildings, Misc, Utilities, Extra Content. But yeah, I should move the pdfs a step up, now that I have the program to open them. Remember, they where there from the start, before the settings.exe

Before the german orthography reform of 1996(- 2006) it was written "Tips". Unfortunatly during this f*****g reform i was in school.  >:(

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #460 on: January 22, 2012, 09:40:11 am »

Off topic: Me too, I finishd abitur 2006. Konstant changes of ss and ß. Fun times in the german LK.

Anyway, dungeon masters and prophets should not go insane as easily. Although both forum and wiki are lacking on infos about noble settings.

We should skip alpha and beta, and make a tetra grammaton version :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:26:49 am by Meph »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2012, 11:21:50 am »

I just realized that your mod has less Tolkienesque dwarfs and more of the general RPG stereotype of them than dwarf fortress.

EDIT: also, i love the worldgen speedup.

EDIT EDIT: also meph, one of my migrants was a exceptional soldier, showed up with a pet landmine, it died instantly, he got to the dining room and tantrumed killing two dwarfs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:18:52 pm by bombzero »

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 22, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

Anyway, dungeon masters and prophets should not go insane as easily. Although both forum and wiki are lacking on infos about noble settings.

I found later that the DM's predicessor (dungeon lord?) still had his office, quarters, and dining room.
when the DM rank comes along the DL rank disapears making the DL a normal citizen. I'm betting it's this one that the DM was most unhappy about.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 22, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »

hey with the zombies, would it be possible to make it so that a crossbow bolt to the head would be more likely to result in a kill?
head shots are uncommon enough that crossbow dwarfs don't suddenly become overpowered vs zombies, but it might make them less useless against them.

I've found that broad-head javelins can occasionaly cause a severed head. but it's pretty rare though.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:57 pm »

hey with the zombies, would it be possible to make it so that a crossbow bolt to the head would be more likely to result in a kill?
head shots are uncommon enough that crossbow dwarfs don't suddenly become overpowered vs zombies, but it might make them less useless against them.

I've found that broad-head javelins can occasionaly cause a severed head. but it's pretty rare though.

think 'broadhead' as in broad head javelins are somewhat more akin to a sharp shovel.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 749