Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1833514 times)

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.31.25 Phoebus/ASCII
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »

Errr... I think I have a small problem here.
I used EVIL world gen seed and weird thing happened.

World had no trees, was filled with heat traps and some tiles looked like they "couldn't decide what they want to be" and were constantly chaining.

Apart from that... 90% of creatures seemed to be dead. Including 3 dwarven civilizations. Is that intended?

[Edit]
It's even worse. It seems that certain seeds don't work at all. Game breaks before I even start playing with character I create :(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:24:21 pm by kanaak666 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

Character ? You mean as in Adventure mode ?  The mod is for fortress mode, it will break a lot of things in adventure mode, because so many things have been removed.

Anyway, the whole thing is beta. Thats why people should tell me about problems, so that I can fix them.

@food at embark: I noticed that, some embarks seem to have no access to meat. Traders will bring it nontheless. Plump helmets were aviable at embark as well. Things like that are hard to spot in the raws, since they dont appear in the error log. I only played 2 games with the mod, and fixed most things I found. 
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »

It's normal for some types of food not to be there. I never embark with food, just booze. I bring some chickens and a farmer/herbalist. I live off the land, Also my first soldier to be is my hunter (not ambusher just charges the local fauna)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2012, 04:10:31 pm »

Double Post:

I voted just to say, this should have as little items and things. And to keep it simple.

And with that, I suggest making another mod that has more features and has more indepth gameplay and complexity. Like Regeneration, It is a "Major Mod" I think "Masterwork Dwarf Fortress" should stay as close and simple to vanilla as possible (with some new features :P but not too much) with that. Good luck in your travels to "Ecuador"

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »

Oh. No food at embark is a bug? I thought that was a feature... I just replace all the meat/fish I usually bring with two pigs and butcher them. (Along with the starting animals)

Anyway, here's my fixed ASCII:

http://www.mediafire.com/?o9p27b2435yvxt7

Rocks, minerals, gems, plants, shrubs, trees, vermin... some things might still be off, but all of those are back to their vanilla tiles. The creature_orc.txt is extra, I kept crashing on world gen with it talking about colors not being used, I removed the first line of colors and that seemed to have helped.

kanaak666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2012, 05:00:27 pm »

@Meph
Yea I meant the adventure mode. Interestingly... it works now. I created another world and most of the things seem to work. No soldiers in fortresses though and frost giants are way overpowered (I beat the hydra to death with copper fist knifes  ::)). They somehow get certain stats increased to legendary right in the beginning.

Perhaps you should mention in the main post that game is prepared for fortress mode only :)
Or perhaps I am blind and haven't spotted it?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

Well I'm talking there's absolutely nothing for food/drink except animals not even seeds and such, but I guess I'm just being unlucky then.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2012, 05:30:06 pm »

some tiles looked like they "couldn't decide what they want to be" and were constantly chaining.

Thats the same problem I've been describing.  Glad to know its not just me with this mod having that issue.  (note: I play fotress mode like the mod intends and still get the same error as he does)

And to 2nd Vherid - On several differnet games I've made, the ONLY food availbile was Plump Helmets. No meat, or fish and in some cases, not even all the seeds were availible.  While its not a huge deal (I just buy a pair of cows with the money I normally alot for food and end up with roughly the same meat)  I know alot of people don't like this extra step at the very start of a fortress when you spend two seasons digging before building your first workshop.

Edit: As I recall, there were some other common things like leather and cloth also not availible at all for embark.  I usually make a "mood" kit consiting of 5 of everything they might want (minus anything I can easily dig/smelt in the first year) since I tend to forget things like cloth and thread til late in my fortresses life, and none of these items are availible on embark.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:32:10 pm by kasan »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:08 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sye-qYEtW5E
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ao_8f9dGuY

My current attempts at playing so far, lol.

Found the fact that there was nothing and then crashed on embark, tried again a second time, embarked then crashed. Gonna have ot mess around with how I installed stuff more I guess.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:55:23 pm by Vherid »

Pancho Cachondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »

The orcs were surprisingly hard to kill. I succumbed to the invasion  :-[

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »

I was looking at your Raws to solve the fat/tallow/soap issue and I noticed first that you have a file you do not need, reaction_make_soap.txt. Soapmaking is already defined in reaction_other.txt so it is unnecessary to have that file.

Now, to fix the issue. Problem is that Veok went about his mod a funny way.

You need to open inorganic_leather_veok.txt and first erase _TEMPLATE from each INORGANIC entry. These are materials, not material templates .... very confusing to name them templates.

So you have these materials: COMMON_FAT, COMMON_TALLOW, and COMMON_SOAP.

Under [INORGANIC:COMMON_FAT] find this line:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TALLOW]

We don't want it to point to LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT since that would cause it to use the creature's tallow and use the creature's name, which is precisely what we want gone. Instead, change LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:TALLOW to INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW. This makes the kitchen render COMMON_FAT into COMMON_TALLOW the line ends up looking like this:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT:INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW]

Next we need to fix COMMON_TALLOW in the same fasion.
Under [INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW] find [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SOAP]
Same thing here, we change LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SOAP into INORGANIC:COMMON_SOAP. This makes the soap maker turn COMMON_TALLOW into COMMON_SOAP. The line eands up like this:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT:INORGANIC:COMMON_SOAP]

Now for housekeeping purposes, open b_detail_plan_veok.txt and delete every line that reads any of these:
[ADD_MATERIAL:TALLOW:TALLOW_TEMPLATE]
[ADD_MATERIAL:TALLOW:COMMON_TALLOW_TEMPLATE]
[ADD_MATERIAL:SOAP:COMMON_SOAP_TEMPLATE]

We no longer reference creature materials for soap and tallow, so creature no longer need to have these materials.

And that should fix the problem!

Disclaimer: I didn't test any of this, merely looked through the raws following the material reaction chain to determine the problem and correct it. Let me know how it works!

Edit: Ah forgot one thing. In b_detail_plan_veok.txt all occurences of COMMON_FAT_TEMPLATE should be replaced with COMMON_FAT since we renamed it.

Edit: Another way of doing this would be to change the rendering reaction in reaction_other.txt to produce INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW (still need to change the names :) ) and change the soap making reaction to produce INORGANIC:COMMON_SOAP. If done that way the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT lines can be deleted from the material definitions, since the products are defined by the reaction directly and not the materials.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:31:12 pm by Ashnal »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »

Omg, so much feedback... i have little time, the bus stopped just now, but i remembered and check the thing about the food.

The entity had no Use_animal_products, therefore no more meat at embark. Or anything else animal related... like llama/sheep/alpaca cloth, ropes, and so on. Here the changelog, i did the stuff on the bus ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thats what I'd like to do for the next release.

what I did so far today: (NOT INCLUDED IN THE CURRENT DOWNLOAD)
Nerfed Trap Components some more.
Added [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] to entity_default.txt
Added [ARENA_RESTRICTED] & [DOES_NOT_EXIST] to creature_veok.txt
Added [FANCIFUL] to all dwarven contructs. Maybe it helps with migrant pets. UNTESTED
Fixed leather types (material/tissue) in hawk, giant eagle, giant lion, giant tiger, giant leopard
Checked Material_Size fix for armor. IT SHOULD WORK.
Lowered Material Value of Metals by 20%
Made Gold an weapon/armor grade material. Horribly, but for people who like goldclad guards.
Added    [INTELLIGENT][CAN_LEARN][UTTERANCES] to all invaders, so they have names again.
Made Master Zombie Legendary, so he stands out easier. (Blinking)
Removed Pig, Goat, Mule, Cavy, Duck, Reindeer, Guinefowl, Yak, Llama, Alpaca, Peafowl.

Food should be there at embark. Also Frost Giants are untested, I never played long enough for them to show up, but I want to edit them a bit anyway. Right know they are supposed to be: End of the world, good luck... ;)

And thanks, ashnal, as soon as I have more time I will go through your post :)

Dont forget, it is Beta. But with so many people interested in it, and finding bugs, I'll be able to fix them quite fast. Thanks everyone for the help :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:30:13 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2012, 09:37:28 pm »

Meph: oh I entirely forgot about the [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] tag ....

I guess since fat, soap, and tallow are defined as INORGANIC, entities might use them even without that tag ...
Could always use Veoks dummy animals to solve that problem though.

In that case you would have to add the COMMON materials to veoks dummy animal [ADD_MATERIAL:TALLOW:INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW] etc. and change the references from INORGANIC:COMMON_TALLOW to CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:TALLOW etc.

ugh: Veok didn't structure his mod well. I would have just changed the standard detail plans to use CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:FAT in all creatures, then modify the reactions to take FAT to TALLOW to SOAP.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:50:23 pm by Ashnal »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »

Any chance for a self-install download, one where we just get the modded files only and put them in, makes mixing things easier.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »

This mod doesn't mix well with out some editing.  Regardless, I'm saddened to see it go the "Less is More" route (the poll was clearly divided between the two).  Regardless, some of the really good ideas I'm going to rip from the release and reintegrate it into vanilla DF.

I'm hesitant to suggest it, but I seriously think you should renamed your project from MASTERWORK Dwarf Fortress, to Dwarf Fortress LITE since you've at this point removed 75% of the Masterwork that Toady started in the first place. (Indeed, he's even said its going to be his magnum opus)

None-the-less, kudos on the hard work and effort you are putting into this mod and I am eager to see where it goes.  Who knows, down the road I might become a convert to the less-is-more theorem.

edit: More stuff surges ahead of less stuff in the poll!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:09:06 pm by kasan »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 749