Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839586 times)

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2g - NEW RELEASE
« Reply #9600 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm »

fastdwarf literally butchers your FPS btw. On my netbook it even causes crashes, because it cant handle DF + Fastdwarf.

Well I don't know if it's only my problem, but with fastdwarf -yes- time passes a little slower,
but dwarves runs very fast and get the job done. I do that when they have to clean or move/dump many items.

Then I clear the map / destroy items with dfhack, and remove fastdwarf playing normally (slow) .

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9601 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »

Thats cheating.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: March 04, 2013, 02:38:35 pm »

Any-who, I was having problems with my military; when i equip a squad of 3 with a modified version of the default Metal uniform, after adding padded leather to each body part, my squad goes and diddles around the armor stockpile, and only equips one metal boot each! wtf?
I use the manager to create 3 full sets of iron armor, and create 5 full sets of padded leather, just in case, then i go into the military equip page and assign my squad with the modified suit. They go and equip a full suit of padded leather then begin putting on iron mail shirts and helms, and i go about my business. I come back later to inspect my squad leader and notice he only equipped an iron boot on his right foot! I check the stockpile and notice some leftover iron boots and begin to wonder wth happened.
I couldn't get my dwarves to wear padded gloves + metal gauntlets, or padded boots + metal boots. Padded helm + helm, padded shirt+cloak+breastplate+chainmail, padded greaves+greaves all seemed to work ok.  Also make sure the armour set replaces (press r on the uniform screen) clothes. I just set them to wear metal boot and gauntlets and that worked fine, I'm never really that sure what more padding actually does? If the adamantine helm won't stop something, does it make a difference having a leather helm. Lost a dwarf with an adamantine platehelm to a frogman with a copper spear last fort.  ???

armandhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: March 04, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »

Hi, I was looking everywhere on this thread but i cant find anywhere where they clearly explain how you use the Platinum soul to train a skill...
I have made one, in the research lab, for legendary axe skill. What are my next steps to use it on a dwarf?
Thanks all in advance

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9604 on: March 04, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »

@armandhammer: If I undertand correctly what you did, you should have a very highly training axe dwarf running around already. You get a megabeast soul, and you need to make a container. As soon as you run the reactions that mention the skill (for example "make axe legend") the dwarf that does the reaction gets the skill.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:52 pm »

Okay, so, I downloaded the new update, figured I'd get started on a Masterwork succession fort. . Last version, DFHack gave me an error. "Could not activate tweak fix-dimensions"
Then the game would crash on embark.
So I start up DF Masterwork. I get the same error. I think "oh, crap, I can't play Masterwork"
This time, it worked fine. Everything is running smoothly. So what does that error mean?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Riverfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:09 pm »

Delurking to make a proposal to Meph and all MDF veterans:

Meph, what would you say about making a succession fort which serves as an illustration to MDF played at its fullest? Similar to your kobold camp tutorial, but in absolute hardcore mode: all fortress defence races enabled (including the motherf***ing hellfire imps and warlocks), all "harder" options enabled (now that you have toned down the wraiths). Goal of the succession fort: (aside for not dying, which is more realistically what will happen): catching the adamantine bug.

Obviously we'll need a good player for the first two years...once the fortress has 20-30 dwarves and can go into lockdown, even a newbie could bunker down and stay locked if they can't deal with the sieges. How about YOU do the first year? :P

Anyone interested in this?

----

Alternatively, I'd love to hear your insights on how you would do it. So far, I am only able to survive all races by not enabling the harder gameplay, options, getting on a volcano embark and building a fully airtight fort + archer tower before year 2. Even afterwards, I am severely behind the curve...I can only whittle down sieges, but can take on frontally maybe 1 out of 3, unless I stay at population 30-40 without exporting for several years in order to prepare.

How do you do it?

---------------------

Also, possible bug (version 2f): can't find the reaction to do bins and barrels out of bales.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:05:20 pm by Riverfire »

armandhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: March 04, 2013, 04:51:41 pm »

@Meph I guess my sciencedwarf will now be drafted in the military and surely be killed. Oh well im sure his M.Sc is gonna be useful as an axedwarf. Thanks for your help! :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9608 on: March 04, 2013, 05:05:47 pm »

@Riverfire: I Dwarf Tutorial Fort would be awesome, but its an extreme amount of work.  But I dont think it would be difficult. You get high-farming skill embark with tons of plump helmet spawns, embark on volcanoe, build automated goblin grinder + magma boobytraps, and you can do whatever you like. Then make a huge corridor and fill it with 50 hellfire landmines, open hell, done. :P

Riverfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: March 04, 2013, 05:20:29 pm »

@Riverfire: I Dwarf Tutorial Fort would be awesome, but its an extreme amount of work.  But I dont think it would be difficult. You get high-farming skill embark with tons of plump helmet spawns, embark on volcanoe, build automated goblin grinder + magma boobytraps, and you can do whatever you like. Then make a huge corridor and fill it with 50 hellfire landmines, open hell, done. :P

Not satisfying enough! Anyone can lockup the fortress (even though I have never learned how to do magma boobytraps, mumble mumble).

It would be more interesting to showcase the features of the mod: (like rushing one of the magic class users - not sure which one is easier to get), having dynamite equpped crossbowdworfs, sending volcanic equipped legion dwarfs to face entire sieges.

I know it's a lot of work, which is why I only inteded you to do the first year and perhaps another skilled player (I am not exactly skilled, but neither would I mess up terribly...at most I won't do much) do the second. From there on, the fort will have its up and downs.

EDIT: also...high farming won't be enough. you'll need a soldier to start with, and another 1 or 2 to face the dark strangerls / raptors in year 2.

Ofc the world will have to be genned so that all FD races are present and kicking.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:22:02 pm by Riverfire »

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:01 pm »

A tutorial on the magic class users is really needed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9611 on: March 04, 2013, 05:38:35 pm »

I personally would prefer if a Masterwork Tutorial Fort would be played with the default settings. That includes no aquifers and no FD races.

I am totally up for playing a first year on a volcano and giving a nice headstart, but only if someone else does the writeup. So if you make a thread in the community fort section about a Masterwork Succession fort, I can do the first year. But afterwards its your project. ;) If its done well and indeed in a tutorial-style way to show the mod abilities, I will link to it from the frontpage, next to the orc/kobolds tutorial forts.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:05 pm »

The fortress defense races tend to screw up worldgen altogether. First off, they likely kill the automatons, so quite a few features are lost that way. I think they are hilariously (and admittedly) broken and totally lack the balance of the other races.

Aside from that, the idea is good. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to have, but I may be able to play a few turns. Nothing regular like with the MW succession fort last year, but I could participate a bit. I think I'm an able player, definitely not the best, but my forts tend to survive, and I have a solid concept of managing a new fort. Still, I'd rather have the FD races disabled, the mod is way better without them.

Also, possible bug report:
I have yet to encounter a siege in 2f. A few thieves and snatchers came in the first and second year, but I'm through the third without incident. Fortress value is over the top (volcano embark, lot of high-value metal stuff), the population is over 120, the military is over 30 (with quite a good number of legion and fighter migrants, also marksdwarfs), all of them have mithril armor and volcanic weapons. I also have all the useful warbeasts and a few slade turrets... all in all, I think my fort is almost HFS ready, and not a single goblin ambush yet, let alone a siege. I see them on the civilizations screen, so they aren't dead, and they have access.
It's possible that it'll happen later, but I thought I'd let you know. Could be a bug, could be normal, it's even possible that it's vanilla related.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9613 on: March 04, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »

I would love to fix the Automatons. I tried many times, I dont know why they die so easily.

I didnt change anything on entities, so I dont think the siege behaviour has chaned at all in between versions.

Riverfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: March 04, 2013, 05:50:02 pm »

But but but...that's not hardcore :(

Jokes aside, I understand your desire to simulate the environment that a new user of the mod finds himself into, but a) I think many of them are afraid to turn on the FD races because they think it's prohibitively hard b) it would make the story more interesting and differentiate it from the other succession fort - the endless onslaught of nasty races which get destroyed by Masterwork dwarfmenship. Can we at least put in some FD races?  Either no races with magic / flying ... or perhaps only the races with magic / flying. Hmm.

I think we should really get some people on board first - I am aware that several MDF succession forts in the past didn't last for long, but I've seen some quite dedicated players - like Firehawk, Smake, Panopticon, Ishar - let's see if they have enough free time in RL. I am starting work in a new company in Amsterdam the 1st of april and relocating now, so I can't shoulder the project alone.

You playing the first year and me doing the writeup sounds ok - but you'll obviously need to take screenshots as you go, and write me a couple of lines about your intentions / interesting eventsz / tricks you used.

Cheers
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 749