Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839104 times)

Huivn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #9120 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:23 pm »

Does anyone know what is the heaviest material usable in weapons? I want my millita commander's meteor hammer to make orc heads pop like watermelons when it comes crashing down on them!
Oy blin.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9121 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »

Does anyone know what is the heaviest material usable in weapons? I want my millita commander's meteor hammer to make orc heads pop like watermelons when it comes crashing down on them!

Iridium, unless Slade is useable as a metal in this mod

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9122 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:18 pm »

Putnam, you are understandable for thinking so because of Earth iridium, but Masterwork iridium is actually far down the list, less dense than iron but more than tin.

In MDF it is Pattern Wolfram @ 59k, followed by platinum @ 21k, and then rose gold, gold, wolfram, and deep-bronze all @ 19k

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9123 on: February 11, 2013, 11:10:00 pm »

Putnam, you are understandable for thinking so because of Earth iridium, but Masterwork iridium is actually far down the list, less dense than iron but more than tin.

huh.

Huivn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9124 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:44 pm »

Thanks guys. And I tried slade, it's economic in masterwork, so the rockforge can't use it.
Oy blin.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9125 on: February 12, 2013, 01:34:16 am »

They have no clothing because no clothing is enabled in the entity file. This way sieges dont arrive with extra clothing that they dont need, and it reduces clutter by min. 4 items per creature. 100 elves siege you, 400 items. It adds up.

Iridium is light because it should be a very good metal, and heavy metals slow down your dwarves too much. Putnam, remember, this is a strategy game, not a simulation.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: February 12, 2013, 07:50:06 am »

Minor bug, I think ; milling carmine dye from cochineals shows up in the reaction raws but isn't assigned as a permitted reaction in entity_default. Intentional?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9127 on: February 12, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Iridium is light because it should be a very good metal, and heavy metals slow down your dwarves too much. Putnam, remember, this is a strategy game, not a simulation.

I've always assumed, in the case of hard outer-armor [Helms, Breastplates/Greaves], that more mass on the metal is better. Not so much for chain mail and such, of course. I've never gone wrong with Deep Bronze helms so far, for instance. Never seen a shattered skull since implementing those [One head injury has occured, that being a Jaw injury]. While on the other hand I've seen bashed in skulls in Welded Mithril helms.

Then again there's no real metal comparison for Adamantine. I could just make a superheavy version and then see if there's any difference defence-wise [as offensive bonuses are obvious for a superheavy supersharp metal, see below].

The weight is always something to take into account but the slowing down of the wearer has no bearing on the armor itself being good or not in my opinion. I just haven't seen !Science! comparing the same metal with different weights, defence-wise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:09:40 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9128 on: February 12, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »

I just haven't seen !Science! comparing the same metal with different weights, defence-wise.

Based on my XXunderstandingXX of Toady's material system, it shouldn't matter :)  Yield determines the breaking point, and the Strain-at-yield which determines how much the material stretches or deforms even under blows that don't break the armor.  But a science of it would still be interesting.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9129 on: February 12, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »

True, weight shouldnt have a positive effect on armor rating, it is only used for mass*velocity^2=force for blunt weapon force and the actual weight, e.g. how slow a dwarf would be wearing/carriyng it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9130 on: February 12, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »

Hello, quick question, how does one put items in the display stand?

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9131 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:57 pm »

Hey!

Fantastic Mod, actually made me come back to df again, wanted to try out Orc Fortress. A few questions tough:

Since i'm playing as Orcs, i didn't want to go with the usual digging, wasn't sure how Orc's tend to live normally tough. Do the build Villages? Out of wood or stone? I went with building a Wooden Palisade and Houses (with Cellars) which creates a lot of Workload but is also fun. Any Experiences and hints?

Does anybody have a hint on how to survive some of the wildlife? I had problems with the first ambushes too, but that's probably just me not doing the military early enough. The Wildlife however tends to be just as dangerous, and hits me very early. Oddly enough, i had Centaurs on EVERY Fort i started the past days. Orc's seem to be strong enough to deal with a bunch of them, but either they come with a lot of Guys, or got Support from other Beasts. Embarking with Soldiers cripples my Economy a bit to hard, or at least i think so.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: February 12, 2013, 05:58:13 pm »

Putnam, remember, this is a strategy game, not a simulation.

he he he.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »

Since i'm playing as Orcs, i didn't want to go with the usual digging, wasn't sure how Orc's tend to live normally tough. Do the build Villages? Out of wood or stone? I went with building a Wooden Palisade and Houses (with Cellars) which creates a lot of Workload but is also fun. Any Experiences and hints?

Hi Stuebi!  If you haven't already, you might want to head over to the Orc Fortress thread and get the latest version.  (also if you have more involved questions later, that is the thread that I check almost every day)

The Orc Fortress manual has some tips, here are the ones that most go to your questions I think

::: Above Ground Forts and Aquifer Forts :::

Don't be afraid of aquifer embarks!  Orcs have lots of tools available to make strong mostly- and even entirely-above ground forts, starting with the arms and armor from the Tribal Warcrafter and Fletcher, and Boneyard for mechanisms.  Trade for cheap raw materials from the Goblins civilization if they are active.  Once you get your drydock and Raiding crews on line, you can raid the Elves for wood, the Dwarves for metal, or the Merchant's Guild to begin founding a caravanserai and expand your purchasing options.  In the meantime, if you can get the Orcish Factory or Goblin Sawmill up and running, you can stretch your supplies of clay and wood farther.

::: Ranchers and Hunters :::

Orcs can do a lot with leather, bone, and blood at the Tribal Craftsorc and Fletcher, so you might want to get Ranchers or Hunters industry going early.  Embarking with some birds or ranching animals is usually more efficient use of points than paying for leather or quivers directly.

::: Early Dangers & Ambushes :::

ELF rangers begin Ambushes as soon as the first half of Year Two, and there's no way to know whether the first group will be spear- or bow-elves. Either way these elves are armed to the teeth, quite unlike their wooden-sword toting cousins. No anvil? Try the tribal warcrafter, or perhaps buy a couple weapons from the freelancer's guild. Wrestlers with simple shields can provide cover and subdue elves while your armed warlord provides the killing blow. Of course you could just shut the gate, but you'll be missing out on the bounty: Once you round up the elves weapons, and perhaps refit their scavenged small armor scraps into makeshift mithril mail at the Molten Pit, you'll be in business.

Illiniath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9134 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:12 am »

I've got a weird bug, I'm not sure if it's DF related or if it's Masterwork,
http://imgur.com/6nw9asJ,PPWvQG1

one of my engineers triggered his own cave trap and (presumably) has starved to death inside the cage.
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 [609] 610 611 ... 749